Star Trek (Three-Disc Edition) [Blu-ray] $9.99

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Star Trek (Three-Disc Edition) [Blu-ray] $9.99

Old 05-04-10, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Star Trek (Three-Disc Edition) [Blu-ray] $9.99

Well damn...
I have been waiting to purchase this until I could find it for around this price but I missed the boat.
Old 05-04-10, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

too late!!! noooo!
Old 05-04-10, 11:04 AM

What I've been waiting for, but I missed out on this. Not fortunate enough to be online at the time to see it. Only makes my resolve to wait for a sub-$10 price on this one firmer. If they did it once, they'll do it again.
Old 05-04-10, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's hoping they do it again. I have been holding out on this as well.
Old 05-04-10, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad I was able to snag one copy. Mom has been wanting one so I decided this was the right price range for her gift.
Old 05-04-10, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Even though I was a little disappointed with the movie I might have purchased the blu-ray version for $9.99.
Old 05-04-10, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by izatright
Hate to say it, but you missed the boat. The movie all but shoved down the viewers throat that they split off into a parallel universe, thus preserving the original while making room for a reboot with unpredictable characters and future.
Sorry man, but that is just BS. In the HUNDREDS of hours of Trek available, there has NEVER been an instance where TIME TRAVEL had created a PARALLEL universe. Yes PU's absolutely exist in the Trek universe, however, every time travel story in Trek I can remember simply re-wrote all history that came after it, it did NOT "create" an alternate universe. There are probably DOZENS of instances of this to create precedent. This movie simply does not exist for me.
Old 05-04-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by SRGilbert
This movie simply does not exist for me.
So . . . you're in a parallel universe where it doesn't exist?

Old 05-05-10, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by izatright
Hate to say it, but you missed the boat. The movie all but shoved down the viewers throat that they split off into a parallel universe, thus preserving the original while making room for a reboot with unpredictable characters and future.
Nah...the OP was correct. This movie just shows how much Paramount has run out of ideas for this dead franchise.
Old 05-05-10, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B.
So . . . you're in a parallel universe where it doesn't exist?

More like a parallel time line. Think Alternate 1985. Biff Co and no ST reboot.
Old 05-05-10, 07:49 AM

Sorry man, but that is just BS. In the HUNDREDS of hours of Trek available, there has NEVER been an instance where TIME TRAVEL had created a PARALLEL universe. Yes PU's absolutely exist in the Trek universe, however, every time travel story in Trek I can remember simply re-wrote all history that came after it, it did NOT "create" an alternate universe. There are probably DOZENS of instances of this to create precedent. This movie simply does not exist for me.
TOS: "City on the Edge of Forever"

TNG: "Parallels"

DS9: "The Past Tense, pt 1" & "The Past Tense, pt 2"

Star Trek: First Contact

ENT: "Twilight"

... etc.

Trek is littered with these alternate universes; the difference is that by the end of the episode or movie, it's reset to the normal, boring (at least in the Rick Berman era) crap that came before. This movie was audacious in that they tried to use the alternate timeline as a way to reboot the franchise, which was a calculated risk -- if it didn't work, they could just reset the timeline and go back to the boring previous Trek kind of stories that couldn't even succeed on UPN.

Oh, and it worked -- when I saw it in the theater, only the hardcore Trekkies like me were remotely disappointed. Normal people enjoyed it. Grossing more than any Trek before it, winning an (admittedly minor) Academy Award, etc. And, more than other parts of the Abramsverse (Lost, Fringe), it uses parallel timelines/parallel worlds intelligibly and in a way that respects the existing franchise.

This is a truly great Blu-Ray disc as well -- whomever called it reference quality wasn't kidding, it's stellar in every regard.

Rant off.
Old 05-05-10, 04:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have no problem with parallel universes/rebooting the franchise. What I hated was all the absurdities and (basic) scientific faux pas that abounded.

Biggest flaw is Romulan baddie who gets flung into the past; he's hell-bent on killing Spock (who he believes had a hand in destroying Romulus). He misses his first opportunity, then decides to hang around for 20 or 30 years nursing his grudge...and no one on his ship mutinies during that time either! He's in the past - why doesn't he return to Romulus and warn them what's going to happen....share his advanced technology, and proactively try to save his planet? Nope...instead Abrams has him sit around in his ship for 20 or 30 years...

I won't get started on the scientific faux pas - there's probably already enough websites devoted to them...

...still, for $9.99 I didn't think twice and jumped on the deal

Peter
Old 05-05-10, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Proglodite
He misses his first opportunity, then decides to hang around for 20 or 30 years nursing his grudge...and no one on his ship mutinies during that time either! He's in the past - why doesn't he return to Romulus and warn them what's going to happen....share his advanced technology, and proactively try to save his planet? Nope...instead Abrams has him sit around in his ship for 20 or 30 years...
Wrong -- he was held captive by Klingons on Rura Penthe, but it's forgivable that you didn't notice this. This was a major plot point that got almost completely trimmed out of the release, including a prison escape scene that, I believe, are on the BD's extras. The line about the Narada destroying 47 Klingon ships and a distress call from a Klingon prison planet is pretty much all that remains in the film of this.
Old 05-05-10, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by crikey
TOS: "City on the Edge of Forever"

TNG: "Parallels"

DS9: "The Past Tense, pt 1" & "The Past Tense, pt 2"

Star Trek: First Contact

ENT: "Twilight"

... etc.

Trek is littered with these alternate universes; the difference is that by the end of the episode or movie, it's reset to the normal, boring (at least in the Rick Berman era) crap that came before. This movie was audacious in that they tried to use the alternate timeline as a way to reboot the franchise, which was a calculated risk -- if it didn't work, they could just reset the timeline and go back to the boring previous Trek kind of stories that couldn't even succeed on UPN.

Oh, and it worked -- when I saw it in the theater, only the hardcore Trekkies like me were remotely disappointed. Normal people enjoyed it. Grossing more than any Trek before it, winning an (admittedly minor) Academy Award, etc. And, more than other parts of the Abramsverse (Lost, Fringe), it uses parallel timelines/parallel worlds intelligibly and in a way that respects the existing franchise.

This is a truly great Blu-Ray disc as well -- whomever called it reference quality wasn't kidding, it's stellar in every regard.

Rant off.
First, TNG's "Parallels" was not a time travel story, it was about shifting between parallel realities. Maybe a super nerdy point, but they are very different things!

I disagree with the term "alternate universe" when refering to Trek's time travel stories. Even if you change it to "alternate timeline" I can't think of situation in Trek where alternate timelines coexist with each other. You can't jump between them, say like the Mirror universe.

Also the point of most of those stories you referenced were about REPAIRING the timeline so "reseting it to normal" was kinda the point. Sometimes, they went with the old "pre-destination paradox" theory, where the person who went back in time was always supposed to do it, so that doesn't count either.

Frankly, I think I would have been fine with the story if they would have just left Nimoy out of it. I would have been fine with a full reboot even. Instead, we are left with knowing that the Spock that we have been watching for over 40 years is now stuck in some stupid alternate timeline
Spoiler:
where Vulcan no longer exists? Are you kidding me?
And this from the ONE CHARACTER in the WHOLE franchise (Spock) that has intimate knowledge of a NUMBER of methods of time travel, yet he decides, "Oh well, nothin' we can do about it now!"

Sorry man, I never cared if "normal people" liked Trek before, and I care even less now if that's what they want to see.
Old 05-05-10, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

You guys do know there's a whole thread over at Movie Talk where one discusses the movie. This thread WAS supposed to be discussing the (now ex-) bargain of the blu-ray.

Speaking of which, it sucked that I was one of those who had it in the shopping cart but it was taken away too quickly. I snoozed, I loozed.
Old 05-05-10, 08:59 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Speaking of which, it sucked that I was one of those who had it in the shopping cart but it was taken away too quickly. I snoozed, I loozed.
I have a feeling the $10 price will pop up again somewhere soon.
Old 05-06-10, 12:27 AM

Sorry man, I never cared if "normal people" liked Trek before, and I care even less now if that's what they want to see.
You must be fun at parties.
Old 05-06-10, 01:07 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Luckily I got in on this deal... at first Amazon said it wouldn't ship until late next week, I just now received conformation that it has shipped, sweet! I'm a Prime member, so I'm getting it this Friday.
Old 05-06-10, 04:20 PM

Where does the OP get $10? The Blu-ray is listing at $19.49.
Old 05-06-10, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by kenichi tanaka
Shockingly enough, the past and the present are not the same time and thus this disc might have had different prices at different times. It's a radical concept, but to learn more about this exciting notion of "time," I recommend you purchase Star Trek.
Old 05-06-10, 05:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by kenichi tanaka
Originally Posted by crikey
Shockingly enough, the past and the present are not the same time and thus this disc might have had different prices at different times. It's a radical concept, but to learn more about this exciting notion of "time," I recommend you purchase Star Trek.

Much funnier than my idea: How does kenichi not see the several posts mentioning that the deal died?
Old 05-06-10, 08:45 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Update: My wife just called me at work, UPS just dropped off my copy of Star Trek... a whole day earlier than Amazon had originally stated. Must have been a slow shipping day at UPS.
Old 05-06-10, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

This thread is beginning to deliver.

And my ship date is May 20th or later.
Old 05-07-10, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

UPS is awesome. Here is my tracking information

Latest Event: Columbus OH
Out for delivery - May 07, 2010 2:46:00 AM

So they are out for delivery at 2:46 am.. Woot, I didn't know they delivered overnight now
Old 05-07-10, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by glassdragon
UPS is awesome. Here is my tracking information

Latest Event: Columbus OH
Out for delivery - May 07, 2010 2:46:00 AM

So they are out for delivery at 2:46 am.. Woot, I didn't know they delivered overnight now
Must be a ninja delivery person.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.