Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy weekly ad 5/2 - 5/8

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-10, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Buy weekly ad 5/2 - 5/8

Originally Posted by Artman
Yeah, really. I guess if someone thinks two or three months is worth $3 - I don't. It's one I want to watch, I'm getting it. And if I'm going to pay $20 for a catalog title (which I normally don't) it might as well be for a release like this - stellar movie and blu-ray (based on initial reviews)
I hear you on that one. To me saving $3 and waiting a couple of months isn't worth it. But I won't buy a catalog title for $20 either. I buy catalog titles in the $10 price range. Got Heat and Braveheart for $10 around X Mas time but I'm willing to wait months for a sale. Still waiting for Glory to be $10, right now the cheapest is around $15.

I also don't take $10 rebates into consideration because it's a pain in the ass sending it in and I've been burned a couple of times.
Old 04-29-10, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I picked up Doomsday from BB two weeks ago. Had them price match the online price plus use the $5 off Facebook coupon.

However, Army of Darkness isn't one of those $14.99 online price points yet, so I'm curious to see what other Universal titles go on sale this week.
what kind of facebook coupon? please enlighten. . .
Old 04-29-10, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisbluedevil
Universal Facebook Five Dollar Coupon
Old 04-29-10, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chrisbluedevil

Look down like 9 posts :P or just click the handy link above.
Old 04-29-10, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
.....I'm taking that with a grain of salt. Maybe some theaters but not just ANY theater. Let's not forget some theaters are fucking amazingly calibrated.
Very true. My theater has the 7.1 Surround sound, and I calibrated the speakers using the setup process on my Denon. Works for me, and since I haven't seen a movie in the theater in a long time, I guess I don't really know if my setup is any better. Nonetheless, it suits me, and it beats dealing with noisy people in theaters.

If I don't know what I'm missing...
Old 04-29-10, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
.....I'm taking that with a grain of salt. Maybe some theaters but not just ANY theater. Let's not forget some theaters are fucking amazingly calibrated.
Not trying to derail the thread or anything here, but no amount of calibration can make up for the other shit I have to deal with at the theater: cellphones, noisy babies/children/adults, insanely priced snacks, etc. Those are just a few of the reasons I've been to the theater very few times since getting my home theater setup (and I used to see 50+ movies a year in the theater).
Old 04-30-10, 10:10 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Murmur
You don't need to wait until next week...12 Monkeys is currently $14.99.
Finally found a BB in lovely tax-free NH that had some (had to ask about 3 people and they eventually found some in the back).

Pricematched the BB online price of $14.99 and used the Facebook Universal $5 coupon, so got it for $9.99 out the door.

Chris
Old 04-30-10, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FatTony
Not trying to derail the thread or anything here, but no amount of calibration can make up for the other shit I have to deal with at the theater: cellphones, noisy babies/children/adults, insanely priced snacks, etc. Those are just a few of the reasons I've been to the theater very few times since getting my home theater setup (and I used to see 50+ movies a year in the theater).
Well, sometimes I forget to turn my cell phone off when I'm watching a movie in my home theater...
Old 04-30-10, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Well, sometimes I forget to turn my cell phone off when I'm watching a movie in my home theater...
Old 04-30-10, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi

Well, I hope that somebody threw an ice cube at you ...
Old 05-01-10, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by doctorthodt
I'd rather pay 3 more dollars than wait a month or longer.
Yeah, really. I guess if someone thinks two or three months is worth $3 - I don't. It's one I want to watch, I'm getting it. And if I'm going to pay $20 for a catalog title (which I normally don't) it might as well be for a release like this - stellar movie and blu-ray (based on initial reviews)
The flip side of that argument is:

"Why the rush? You've waited this long for 'movie X' to come out on BD so what's another six months or a year to get it cheap? After all, most of us have dozens of other BDs to watch in the interim."

I really don't understand the impulsive "gotta have it NOW!" mentality that so many seem to have, as I've said before. For those who are wealthy, sure, what difference does three (or five or ten) bucks make? For those who are thrifty and take the time to hang out in the Blu-ray Bargains forum, saving a few bucks would seem to be the whole point.

I'm with Giz: $20 for a catalog title is absurd (I won't even pay that for a new release). In November last year lots of formerly high-priced catalog titles were available for $8 to $13. I'll wait and see it if happens again. If not, there is always Half.com or Amazon Marketplace.
Old 05-01-10, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by lizard
"Why the rush? You've waited this long for 'movie X' to come out on BD so what's another six months or a year to get it cheap? After all, most of us have dozens of other BDs to watch in the interim."
And for most catalog movies, even new ones that's how I approach it. However, it's been yrs since I've seen this one, and based on the reported quality... I'd very much like to watch it sooner rather than later. Plus I have AMZ gift certificates, so I'm not really spending much.

Also, the high MSRP for this one will keep it from going much lower. The best price any of the Saphire Series' have been is $17, so a whole $3. I'll wait for $5, but any less than that seems kinda trivial to me. (I'm a working single guy, so maybe my situation allows for that more than others...)
Old 05-01-10, 02:24 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Also, the high MSRP for this one will keep it from going much lower. The best price any of the Saphire Series' have been is $17, so a whole $3. I'll wait for $5, but any less than that seems kinda trivial to me. (I'm a working single guy, so maybe my situation allows for that more than others...)
You're not looking very hard if the best price for you was $17 for any of the Sapphire films. At one point Braveheart/Gladiator were $13 and on release week they were Buy both get $10 off which was about $15ish each (IIRC).
Old 05-01-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Braveheart and Gladiator were both $10 at Amazon on Black Friday.

[I bought a copy of Gladiator for $10, but when a re-release was rumored I sold it for $15+ unopened. Given all the controversy on the PQ, I couldn't bring myself to open it, even with the $10 rebate. I'll wait for a better release.]
Old 05-01-10, 04:30 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by lizard
^Braveheart and Gladiator were both $10 at Amazon on Black Friday.

[I bought a copy of Gladiator for $10, but when a re-release was rumored I sold it for $15+ unopened. Given all the controversy on the PQ, I couldn't bring myself to open it, even with the $10 rebate. I'll wait for a better release.]
Ahh, you're right. Exactly why waiting on catalogs to drop is a smart idea. Or just buy from Target since they have a 90 day return window. $20 for any catalog title that is not one of the big 20 or so titles (Star Wars, Jurassic Park etc). is just insane.
Old 05-01-10, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
on release week they were Buy both get $10 off which was about $15ish each (IIRC).
That put them at $18, that's when I bought them. If you want to wait for the one day a yr titles might go lower, be my guest. I don't get why people feel the need to declare how cheap they got a movie, or call those out who are spending their own money on the titles that are important to them.

If you want to get real technical, I'll be using a $25 certificate at Amazon - so it'll cost me $0 - happy? That leaves me with $50 more in certificates, I hope it'll be acceptable if I use them on some more catalogs... maybe even ones that are still $20.

Last edited by Artman; 05-01-10 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-01-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ahh, you're right. Exactly why waiting on catalogs to drop is a smart idea. Or just buy from Target since they have a 90 day return window. $20 for any catalog title that is not one of the big 20 or so titles (Star Wars, Jurassic Park etc). is just insane.
I want to do that more often, but it's just so hit or miss. I mean, I have Friday the 13th 2 and 3 in my wishlist (the first 3 where a big part of my childhood/teenage years) and I totally expected them to have been $9.99 or so by now...at least every now and then. But they're still up near $18 and I don't really consider them must owns.

A River Runs Through It never seems to drop and I was just checking some old blus and I couldn't believe how many that had come out several years ago, some that had dropped to $9.99 a couple of times when I wasn't paying attention, and they're back up near what new movie releases cost.

Hell, to be honest, in any given month there are so few really good catalogs available imo, that they're not even the ones that can break me. It's the new release prices and how many I really want that makes it a tough month or not.

May is not a problem. June looks very busy and July is getting there, especially if anything else gets slotted there. But it's not because of catalogs for me.

If they released more of the ones I'm really waiting for, THEN I'd probably have no choice but to wait certain titles out until they dropped or until I had a slower month.

I would have ZERO problem paying $20 for a catalog title that I really wanted that looked and sounded great, but SO many of the studios are skimping on or just leaving off the bonus features from the SD and that pisses me off at that price. Not to mention how many new releases coming out now that seem to have very little in the way of bonus features.
Old 05-01-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ahh, you're right. Exactly why waiting on catalogs to drop is a smart idea. Or just buy from Target since they have a 90 day return window.
Do you mean buying it at Target, and taking back another copy you bought cheaper elsewhere for a refund? How is that easier than just buying what you want, when you want, at a value you think is fair?

Last edited by Artman; 05-01-10 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-01-10, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm ok with $20 for a catalog title. If I want it, $20-25 is about right regardless if it's new or catalog.
Old 05-02-10, 12:29 AM
Cool New Member

Yuck. This sucks. Where are the deals?!
Old 05-02-10, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Blu-ray-collect
I don't think price is an issue for some folks. After all, a lot of people pay to see something twice (once in theater and then again when buying it in stores). I always find it humorous when people do complain about the price of a blu-ray movie, though. If they'd not gone and seen it in theater's, money would be saved. The last movie I saw in a theater was "Star Wars: Episode II". My home setup is much better than any theater, and it is much quieter.
My wife and I will come over your place next Friday. Be sure to pop popcorn and stock diet soda.

Originally Posted by FatTony
Same here. I used to do a couple of movies a weekend. I once sat next to a guy in a crowed theater who took three phone calls during the movie and gabbed away like he was in his house. And, people texting, yikes.

I'm on the fence with Saving Private Ryan at 20. Think I'll grab Creepshow and maybe Van Helsing. (Yes, I do feel guilty possibly passing on a classic and picking up two B grade movies.) The $7 titles are tempting but what in the world is El Superbeasto?
Old 05-02-10, 10:08 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Weekly comparison thread/tables complete.
Old 05-02-10, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
My wife and I will come over your place next Friday. Be sure to pop popcorn and stock diet soda.

Same here. I used to do a couple of movies a weekend. I once sat next to a guy in a crowed theater who took three phone calls during the movie and gabbed away like he was in his house. And, people texting, yikes.

I'm on the fence with Saving Private Ryan at 20. Think I'll grab Creepshow and maybe Van Helsing. (Yes, I do feel guilty possibly passing on a classic and picking up two B grade movies.) The $7 titles are tempting but what in the world is El Superbeasto?
Its an animated movie from Rob Zombie about a Lucha Libre wrestler and his crazy world... something like that.
Old 05-02-10, 02:59 PM
Cool New Member

I bought Ghost Ship, Event Horizon, and Return To House On Haunted Hill for 9.99 at Best Buy today. I don't believe they were in the ad.
Old 05-02-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

All of the individual pre-reboot Star Trek movie blus are also $9.99 this week.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.