Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Life + Planet Earth Bluray for $50

Old 04-22-10, 05:59 AM

Life + Planet Earth Bluray for $50

Discoverystore.com has a sale for both Life & Planet Earth on Bluray for $50. Use code DCSEML for an additional $5 off.

http://store.discovery.com/detail.ph...ery_shows_life

Note: These are the Discovery Channel version which are narrated by Sigourney Weaver (Planet Earth) & Oprah Winfrey (Life).

Last edited by toogood; 04-22-10 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-22-10, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Life + Planet Earth Bluray for $50

You can also get 15% off for using Discover card, so the total shipped is going to be $41.50.

Great deal, I will take it as I was about to spend almost that much for the Weaver version anyway.

Last edited by onebyone; 04-22-10 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-22-10, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great deal for sure, but do note that both sets have major cuts/edits in them for commercial purposes (planet earth is about 70 minutes shorter than the UK version) and they're both 1080i vs 1080p for the UK versions. Got Planet Earth from amazon.co.uk last week for about $25 shipped and that comes with an extra bonus 5th disc (BBC natural world episodes) and most importantly it is narrated by Sir David Attenborough. Life is about $45 shipped. So, I'm waiting for that to go down in price. If you order Life, Planet Earth and Earth from Amazon UK it comes out to just over $80 shipped atm. All 3 are region ABC although Earth's extra features are in SD and thus won't play unless you have a multi region BD player.
Old 04-22-10, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by toogood View Post
Note: These are the Discovery Channel version which are narrated by Sigourney Weaver (Planet Earth)
Boo...

Originally Posted by sotra View Post
Great deal for sure, but do note that both sets have major cuts/edits in them for commercial purposes (planet earth is about 70 minutes shorter than the UK version) and they're both 1080i vs 1080p for the UK versions.
+1

The David Attenborough version is the only version IMHO.

Last edited by rfduncan; 04-22-10 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-22-10, 09:22 AM

tempting... i want a good deal on life... but these non Attenborough versions are a joke...
Old 04-22-10, 10:31 AM

David Attenborough version is the deal of the day on Amazon for $37.99

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Earth-C...PA144VM6R8GXTT
Old 04-22-10, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Got Planet Earth from amazon.co.uk last week for about $25 shipped and that comes with an extra bonus 5th disc (BBC natural world episodes) and most importantly it is narrated by Sir David Attenborough. ...although Earth's extra features are in SD and thus won't play unless you have a multi region BD player.
I really want Planet earth in BD but it would be a double dip for me because I have the standard version. I could buy the Blu and sell the standard but the BD doesn't have all the extras from the original. And I don't have a region-free player so I wouldn't be able to view the extras from the Uk version.

Anyone who upgraded to Blu have an opinion?
Old 04-22-10, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jwstl View Post
I really want Planet earth in BD but it would be a double dip for me because I have the standard version. I could buy the Blu and sell the standard but the BD doesn't have all the extras from the original. And I don't have a region-free player so I wouldn't be able to view the extras from the Uk version.

I purchased it on Blu-ray after renting the DVD version. I have to admit that the additional stuff "after the episode" that showed you how some of the stuff was shot was actually as interesting as the episodes themselves. I was extremely disappointed by the omisssion of the extras. The Blu-ray should have AT LEAST everything the DVDs had and more IMHO.
Old 04-22-10, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh View Post
David Attenborough version is the deal of the day on Amazon for $37.99

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Earth-C...PA144VM6R8GXTT
The blu-ray version of Planet Earth is also the deal of the day at B&N.com for $39.99 before any additional discounts. Should be able to get it for under $30 with discount links and coupons with or without a membership.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/...?cds2Pid=28845
Old 04-22-10, 04:17 PM

Great deal for sure, but do note that both sets have major cuts/edits in them for commercial purposes (planet earth is about 70 minutes shorter than the UK version) and they're both 1080i vs 1080p for the UK versions. Got Planet Earth from amazon.co.uk last week for about $25 shipped and that comes with an extra bonus 5th disc (BBC natural world episodes) and most importantly it is narrated by Sir David Attenborough. Life is about $45 shipped. So, I'm waiting for that to go down in price. If you order Life, Planet Earth and Earth from Amazon UK it comes out to just over $80 shipped atm. All 3 are region ABC although Earth's extra features are in SD and thus won't play unless you have a multi region BD player.
Thanks I did not known that the Us release was shorter. Now I know what to look for either the UK release or the HD-DVD version which should be cheap
Old 04-23-10, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You don't need a region free player to watch the extras on the UK version of Planet Earth. It is all in high def. It is on Earth that the extras are SD. I ordered all 3 from Amazon UK (Life for a buddy) and they arrived 6 days after shipping (good thing I ordered before the volcano eruption). He paid $45 for Life after we split the shipping. So Planet Earth and Earth cost me $37 altogether. So, now I have the HD-DVD, BD and DVD (in the BBC natural history collection set) versions of Planet Earth
Old 04-23-10, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You don't need a region free player to watch the extras on the UK version of Planet Earth. It is all in high def. It is on Earth that the extras are SD. I ordered all 3 from Amazon UK (Life for a buddy) and they arrived 6 days after shipping (good thing I ordered before the volcano eruption). He paid $45 for Life after we split the shipping. So Planet Earth and Earth cost me $37 altogether. So, now I have the HD-DVD, BD and DVD (in the BBC natural history collection set) versions of Planet Earth
Thanks for clarifying.
Old 04-23-10, 12:13 PM

I agree with others that David Attenborough is the only way to go. I picked up Planet Earth a couple of weeks ago from Amazon.uk. I haven't watched them, yet, as I was just getting them for my son to watch as he grows older and wanted to jump on the deal. I may pop one of them in to test it on my blu-ray player, though, but I don't expect any problems. I'm also going to wait on Life. I watched it as it aired on Discovery and Oprah's narration just irritated me. The visuals were awesome, but the voice over work was enough to make me cringe watching it. I really look forward to hearing Attenborough's voice on it. Plus I want to see what they deleted. I know there was one scene with the chimps that seemed so out of place and during the little "making of" at the end of the episode, they made that scene out to be a big deal that they got it. I figured that if it was that big of a deal, there would be more of it than just a short glimpse of it that seemed to be out of place with what was being narrated.

P.S. For those wondering what scene I was talking about, it was right at the beginning of the chimp section where Oprah is talking about how closely related they were to us and how alike we were to the chimps right before they show a quick shot of the chimps running up a tree and kicking it. I had to laugh, thinking that it showed they were like us because we run up walls and kick them. The "making of" at the end of the show explained the scene and how they've never caught it on video before. It made me want more of the scene with narration explaining it. I'm not sure if the BBC version is that way or not, but it seems like it's something they might have cut.
Old 04-26-10, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't believe the service from Amazon UK. I ordered Planet Earth at 12:39am on Friday the 23rd and received the shipping notice at 6:37am. And I received it today. I don't get service that good from Amazon US.
Old 04-27-10, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If anyone's interested you can download episode 1 of Planet Earth (from pole to pole) in HD (720p) for free either from itunes or amazon. When I downloaded it to my ipod touch it showed it as having a filesize of about 550mb and a runtime of about 48 mins.
Old 04-27-10, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can someone please verify that the "making of" extras are region coded SD and are therefore not watchable on a non-region-free Blu-ray player? I was going to jump on this from Amazon.co.uk for ~$30, but if those extras are blocked, I may not bite.

Thanks!
Old 04-27-10, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan View Post
Can someone please verify that the "making of" extras are region coded SD and are therefore not watchable on a non-region-free Blu-ray player? I was going to jump on this from Amazon.co.uk for ~$30, but if those extras are blocked, I may not bite.

Thanks!
Which series? I don't believe Planet Earth on Blu-Ray has any making of features. The UK version has a bonus BD of additional material.

According to forum member sotra: "You don't need a region free player to watch the extras on the UK version of Planet Earth. It is all in high def. It is on Earth that the extras are SD."

I didn't realize there were 2 series with similar names when I posted my concern about playing the extras. I thought Earth was short for Planet Earth but it is not.
Old 04-27-10, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Which series? I don't believe Planet Earth on Blu-Ray has any making of features. The UK version has a bonus BD of additional material.
The Planet Earth DVD set did have "making of" features after each episodes that were NOT included on the US Blu-ray version of the set.

From the DVD Talk Review:

The only disappointing thing about this lovely set is the lack of bonus features. Like the HD DVD version, this Blu-ray set has no added content. The SD DVD set includes a 10-minute behind the scenes short for each episode which is missing from this BD set. Standard def DVD buyers also get a fifth disc which includes three full length documentaries that act as an epilog to the series. That is nowhere to be seen in this BD set. This is a real blunder. If the studios ever want Joe Six Pack to invest in HD technology, they have to convince him that he's really missing something, namely a much improved picture and better sound. The DVD revolution illustrated that people were willing to purchase new technology if the advantages are big enough. By removing bonus material from HD discs they are just shooting themselves in the foot.
So I'm asking if these extras are included on the UK set and are they playable on a standard Blu-ray player.
Old 04-28-10, 01:23 AM

I can't believe the service from Amazon UK. I ordered Planet Earth at 12:39am on Friday the 23rd and received the shipping notice at 6:37am. And I received it today. I don't get service that good from Amazon US.
Other way around for me, i ordered Red Cliff mid november and got it 3 days before january, ordered the band of brothers back in like october got it in december

and about 10 other orders took 2-3 weeks as where us amazon i get 2-3 days after ordering, safe to say i will never order from UK amazon ever again, the red cliff/BOB incident ended my business with them because the support wasn't helpful, they lied about shipping them not once but twice.. maybe its just me and i got unlucky over 10 times who knows but ill never order from them again, i even did overnight shipping for the BSG set and it took 2 weeks.

Last edited by styl3s; 04-28-10 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-28-10, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

According to forum member sotra: "You don't need a region free player to watch the extras on the UK version of Planet Earth. It is all in high def. It is on Earth that the extras are SD."

I didn't realize there were 2 series with similar names when I posted my concern about playing the extras. I thought Earth was short for Planet Earth but it is not.
Maybe he's talking about the DisneyNature film Earth, the trailer for which did look like a cutdown version of Planet Earth?
Old 04-28-10, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by styl3s View Post
Other way around for me, i ordered Red Cliff mid november and got it 3 days before january, ordered the band of brothers back in like october got it in december

and about 10 other orders took 2-3 weeks as where us amazon i get 2-3 days after ordering, safe to say i will never order from UK amazon ever again, the red cliff/BOB incident ended my business with them because the support wasn't helpful, they lied about shipping them not once but twice.. maybe its just me and i got unlucky over 10 times who knows but ill never order from them again, i even did overnight shipping for the BSG set and it took 2 weeks.
Maybe they have improved their service since then.
Old 04-28-10, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan View Post
The Planet Earth DVD set did have "making of" features after each episodes that were NOT included on the US Blu-ray version of the set.

From the DVD Talk Review:

So I'm asking if these extras are included on the UK set and are they playable on a standard Blu-ray player.
As I said, the Blu-ray does not have the "making of" features. That applies to both the US and UK versions.
Old 04-28-10, 06:54 PM

Maybe they have improved their service since then.
in 3 months? doubt it