Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Target prices 4/18 - 4/24, 2010

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-10, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Target prices 4/18 - 4/24, 2010

Originally Posted by DaveWadding
I wasn't gonna buy the AC/DC - Iron Man 2 thing, but the Movie Cash is tempting.
I'd hope for a similar movie cash offer with the first movie.
Old 04-15-10, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wake me when the real version of Avatar is released. The one with all the stuff that makes it a proper home release and not a quick cash grab tie-in with Dirty Hippie Gaea Worshiping Day.
Old 04-15-10, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
Wake me when the real version of Avatar is released. The one with all the stuff that makes it a proper home release and not a quick cash grab tie-in with Dirty Hippie Gaea Worshiping Day.
What exactly is "worshiping"?

Take your political diatribe to another site.

HTH. HAND.

TLK
Old 04-16-10, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
Wake me when blah blah.
If you're going to be that obnoxious, I think I'll just let you keep sleeping.
Old 04-17-10, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
You're not giving them any credit for having the best price on what will probably end up being the best-selling Blu-Ray title to date?
I think that is the only thing "Avatar" can say when it comes to "#1 Movie", if the blu's fly off the shelves. I hate the ads that say it is the "#1 movie ever". Currently, it is ranked 14th on the all time list, according to the Box Office Mojo site. "Gone With the Wind" is #1.
Old 04-17-10, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Just keep in mind this is a bare bones release with the loaded edition coming in November supposedly.
Isn't that the 3D release?
Old 04-17-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Blu-ray-collect
I think that is the only thing "Avatar" can say when it comes to "#1 Movie", if the blu's fly off the shelves. I hate the ads that say it is the "#1 movie ever". Currently, it is ranked 14th on the all time list, according to the Box Office Mojo site. "Gone With the Wind" is #1.
Except adjusting for inflation is pretty pointless, so it really is the #1 movie ever at face value, which is all that really matters.
Old 04-17-10, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Except adjusting for inflation is pretty pointless
Brilliant.
Old 04-17-10, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Brilliant.
Speaking of pointless, so is this post.

Really, think about it. Unless you can somehow account for numerous factors - such as the number of theatrical re-releases, the lack of home video sales up until a certain point in time, the absence of network television broadcasting, and so on and so forth - then, again, adjusting for inflation is pointless.
Old 04-17-10, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking of pointless, so is this post.

Really, think about it. Unless you can somehow account for numerous factors - such as the number of theatrical re-releases, the lack of home video sales up until a certain point in time, the absence of network television broadcasting, and so on and so forth - then, again, adjusting for inflation is pointless.
It's not pointless. Every year Hollywood says "This is the highest grossing year of all-time" because of ticket prices. Especially, now with 3D where theatres can somehow justify charging $5 more than before because the movie is in 3D. We will continually see a rise in box office receipts every year going forward.
Old 04-17-10, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
It's not pointless. Every year Hollywood says "This is the highest grossing year of all-time" because of ticket prices. Especially, now with 3D where theatres can somehow justify charging $5 more than before because the movie is in 3D. We will continually see a rise in box office receipts every year going forward.
That's irrelevant. If it makes the most money, then it makes the most money, regardless of ticket prices or anything else. I'm just talking raw numbers here. And I'd hardly say it happens "every year" considering Avatar only took the record by unseating a 13 year-old film (by almost a billion dollars now). Think about that - the margin between the first and second place record holders is nearly as much as the gross of the third place film.
Old 04-17-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Ridiculous logic, sorry. If I make a movie, and charge 1.967 billion per ticket, and sell one ticket, I guess I've just made the biggest movie ever, eh? That's absurd. The movie that has put the most asses in the seats is the biggest film of all time. Not an opinion, people, that's a fucking fact staring you in the face.
I like how immediately after using the phrase "ridiculous logic" you envision a scenario where you're charge $2 billion for a movie ticket in order to try to prove a point.

Nice try.
Old 04-17-10, 04:20 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

There are too many variables to ever really settle the matter for sure, but, imo...

A million people paying to see a movie today is a heck of a lot 'better' than a million people seeing a film back in any of the 19xxs, before home video and television and the internet. Theaters were one of the only options back then.

And Avatar getting any kind of good numbers proves that the intelligence of humanity is shrinking rapidly.
Old 04-18-10, 09:39 AM

Weekly comparison tables complete.
Old 04-18-10, 04:52 PM

It always comes down to the dollar but, how many actual tickets were sold will tell you which movies should be rated in the all time greatest list.
Old 04-18-10, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by camwar
It always comes down to the dollar but, how many actual tickets were sold will tell you which movies should be rated in the all time greatest list.
This thread has veered WAY off topic now, but I've got to throw my two cents in on this debate now:
There was no such thing as TV, home video, and the internet back in 1939 as Trevor already pointed out....so there can never be a true comparison as ticket sales does not take these things into account! When the only way you could see a film was at an actual theater, then of course more tickets will relatively be sold....nowadays, many people need only wait a few months and can rent a disc for a few dollars and watch it at home, or stream it to their computer monitor/iPod....
Do I think Avatar is the "best" movie ever? No, but for it to do the business it did in this day and age is still quite impressive and far beyond what anyone actually expected....
Old 04-19-10, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
And Avatar getting any kind of good numbers proves that the intelligence of humanity is shrinking rapidly.
Not to go off topic too much further, but I have to give a thumbs up on Trevor's comment. After seeing it (I was dragged to the theater by family) I thought "yeah, it's entertaining and worth watching with very nice effects, but I liked ALL of James Cameron's other movies better" (I don't consider Piranha II: The Spawning which I've never seen as a "James Cameron" movie). I think maybe Avatar was a little too predictable for me. So when it broke all-time box office records I was very puzzled and concluded that it must be the 3D, the special effects and that kids like the blue creatures. I know the theater I went to was full of kids. I think James Cameron is a great director and always makes good movies, but Avatar was just GOOD... not GREAT, yet the box office numbers say it's the greatest movie ever made. To quote John Wayne "not hardly".
Old 04-19-10, 04:46 PM

Anti-Avatar tirade spoilered.
Spoiler:
Yeah, Avatar stunk. I went in expecting to like it, as I liked all of Cameron's earlier films. But the stolen plot was so predictable, almost every performance wooden and a sophomoric stereotype, the action scenes dull. I already saw Pocahontas and Dances With Wolves, I didn't need to see it again with blue aliens. I expected it to get universally slammed, and am continually amazed that anyone can have a positive thought about it other than, 'it was pretty'.

If it didn't do well, I would have still hated it, and the talk of it would have died quickly. But the numbers and hype continue, so does my hate.

Back on topic, did anyone find the Iron Man 2 Soundtrack? It was supposed to come out today.
Old 04-19-10, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by camwar
Bingo.
It's how other industries do it.

Do we count revenue for books? No, we count number sold.

Do we count how much a band made off their last CD? No, but we count the number of copies sold and even have rankings like Gold and Platinum.

Likewise, movies should be tracked by number of tickets sold.
Old 04-19-10, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

or discs, downloads, etc... just sayin
Old 04-19-10, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Back on topic, did anyone find the Iron Man 2 Soundtrack? It was supposed to come out today.
On a Monday? That's an odd release date. Every if that is correct though, most stores are stupid and unless it's a big release and it's widely-publicized to not be released on a Tuesday, they'll still only put them out on Tuesdays.
Old 04-20-10, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kory
On a Monday? That's an odd release date. Every if that is correct though, most stores are stupid and unless it's a big release and it's widely-publicized to not be released on a Tuesday, they'll still only put them out on Tuesdays.
No, it was definitely correct. Even in the ad pictured in this thread. Some stores had to be asked, but it was available. Moot point now of course.

There are many instances of this throughout the year, with films, CDs, or books being released on a Saturday or Monday. Happened just a couple weeks ago with Twilight.
Old 04-20-10, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No, it was definitely correct. Even in the ad pictured in this thread. Some stores had to be asked, but it was available. Moot point now of course.

There are many instances of this throughout the year, with films, CDs, or books being released on a Saturday or Monday. Happened just a couple weeks ago with Twilight.
I know it happens, it's just usually for big releases. I figured the soundtrack of a movie would be released on the normal Tuesday. Oh well.