Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Pixar Deals?

Old 03-21-10, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pixar Deals?

Anyone spot any deals on Pixar Blu-Ray? I have my upgrade coupons to use and I thought with the release of TS 1 and 2 on Tuesday there might be deals on the other Pixar films but I haven't seen any. I know there are deals when you buy TS but I've already taken advantage of that deal at TRU so those bundle offers are no good for me. I'm specifically looking for:

A Bug's Life
Wall-E
Ratatouille
Old 03-21-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Pixar Deals?

Just pick up the Steelbooks from Best Buy. Worth the money, in my opinion.
Old 03-21-10, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe it's just me, but these don't seem to go on sale that often except in combo with new pixar releases. The combo with Up is how I ended up with Monsters Inc and Cars.
Old 03-22-10, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
Just pick up the Steelbooks from Best Buy. Worth the money, in my opinion.
If Steelbooks appeal to you, and if you don't mind $35 a pop, and if you can find the titles you seek. I own one Steelbook, and when I opened it, I discovered that the hinge between the spine and the back was cracked (which couldn't be seen while it was closed and shrinkwrapped). The downside to Steelbooks is, if something happens to it, you can't just move your artwork to a different case.

To answer the OP's question, Disney releases are rarely discounted in general, and Pixar specifically seems to stay pretty consistently priced. The best deal I know of is with the Disney Movie Club...but you can't use your upgrade coupons there. Right now, there's an offer on specific titles for Easter, and Pixar releases are included. The deal is, buy one at regular price and get others at 60% off. If I were ordering the three you named, it would look like this:

$31.95 A Bug's Life
$11.98 Ratatouille
$11.98 WALL-E
$55.91 Total, before taxes and shipping

This is assuming you get the 2-disc WALL-E and not the 3-disc version with the Digital Copy, which is priced at $34.95.
Old 03-22-10, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by MinLShaw View Post
If Steelbooks appeal to you
they do, which is why i recommended them to the OP.
Old 03-22-10, 06:29 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Pixar titles have always been pretty easy to get for cheap. Release week at TRU is generally $5. Up and Monsters, Inc were negative $7 each on release week at Target.

Through today, you can pre-order Toy Story 1 & 2, and get $20 off any Disney title right then. Even if you don't pick up the 2nd pre-order, you're still saving $10 plus your $8 upgrade coupon.

Last edited by Trevor; 03-22-10 at 08:30 AM. Reason: correction, addition
Old 03-22-10, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To add to Trevor's post a little, you can do what I am doing with the TRU deal. I am using my upgrade coupons and the extra Toy Story(s) that I am buying I am simply turining around and then selling those. So I get $28 off whichever movie I get and already my 1 extra set I am selling I am making a profit so I get the movie free and make money as well. Yes I have to go through a little work to mail it off but when I am actually making money and essentially getting FREE Pixar/Disney films it is totally worth it.

I will say though yes I am suprised there does not seem to be any deals other than I did see Up was on sale at Target for $20 and wonder if any other Pixar/Disney films also have a comparable discount as well?
Old 03-22-10, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If Steelbooks appeal to you, and if you don't mind $35 a pop, and if you can find the titles you seek.
When I got them at Best Buy during release week I brought printouts from Walmart.com and PM'ed all of them and I got the 2 $25 GC that they offered that week. Obviously you can't get that good of a deal now, but just last week I picked up the Ratatouille SB for a friend of mine at a different BB and again I PM'ed WM. He was happy with getting that for $12 (after the upgrade coupon).
Old 03-22-10, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Pixar titles have always been pretty easy to get for cheap. Release week at TRU is generally $5. Up and Monsters, Inc were negative $7 each on release week at Target.
Originally Posted by sotra View Post
When I got them at Best Buy during release week I brought printouts from Walmart.com and PM'ed all of them and I got the 2 $25 GC that they offered that week.
I'm perfectly aware of the release week deals to be had, but the OP isn't looking for new releases. And typically, unless you can find an opportunity to enjoy a sale offer associated with a new Pixar release, they're rarely on sale.
Old 03-22-10, 10:25 AM

I'm perfectly aware of the release week deals to be had, but the OP isn't looking for new releases. And typically, unless you can find an opportunity to enjoy a sale offer associated with a new Pixar release, they're rarely on sale.
Not trying to sound defensive, but...

Simply pointing out that if you're at all interested in Pixar (and Disney) films, it generally pays to get them week one.

And I also offered advice on how to get what they wanted cheapest today.
Old 03-22-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not trying to sound defensive, but...

Simply pointing out that if you're at all interested in Pixar (and Disney) films, it generally pays to get them week one.

And I also offered advice on how to get what they wanted cheapest today.
I didn't mean to come off snotty, so if you felt the need to be defensive, that's entirely my fault. And, yes, you did provide useful information about getting good deals today. As for the "first week" thing, I was merely interjecting because it seemed as though the OP was being chastised for not having already purchased these. (I might be sensitive here because I haven't bought them yet, either.)
Old 03-22-10, 10:42 AM

Darn I was hoping to piss you off and start a war. And then count it in the forthcoming War Challenge.
Old 03-22-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If I knew then what I know now I would have bought them during release week. But I didn't and I didn't.
I may try getting BB to match Walmart.com. It's not equal to the Monster's Inc./UP/Toy Story 1&2 deals but I can live with $12. And I'll sell my SD versions and recoup a little money.
Old 03-22-10, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Darn I was hoping to piss you off and start a war. And then count it in the forthcoming War Challenge.
Then it's war! I shall fight you on the land, and on the seas, and in the skies!

Originally Posted by jwstl View Post
I may try getting BB to match Walmart.com. It's not equal to the Monster's Inc./UP/Toy Story 1&2 deals but I can live with $12. And I'll sell my SD versions and recoup a little money.
I'll save you the embarrassment and wasted time: No store price-matches a web price. Period.
Old 03-22-10, 11:03 AM

Well, all chains will pricematch online print-outs sometimes, but it is very YMMV, and each chain's official store policy is to not do so.

I've tried maybe 20 times in my life and am usually successful, but I think I'm just lucky, or charming.

Also jwstl (what does that mean?), be advised that the BDs do not carry over all of the special features from the 2000 and 2005 DVD releases, if those are important to you.
Old 03-22-10, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll save you the embarrassment and wasted time: No store price-matches a web price. Period.
So Sotra was lying when he said "When I got them at Best Buy during release week I brought printouts from Walmart.com and PM'ed all of them"?
Old 03-22-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, all chains will pricematch online print-outs sometimes, but it is very YMMV, and each chain's official store policy is to not do so.
I only managed this once, and it was when Circuit City's website advertised Tropic Thunder 2-disc for $6.99. I printed it out before they corrected the listing and removed it. When the store failed to even have any to sell me at that price, I tried my luck at Walmart. My argument held that since Circuit City had just instituted a well-advertised policy change in which their in-store and online prices were the same, that it was tantamount to a print ad. They agreed, and I had this forum to thank for that deal.
Old 03-22-10, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also jwstl (what does that mean?), be advised that the BDs do not carry over all of the special features from the 2000 and 2005 DVD releases, if those are important to you.
I didn't know that about the special features. Thanks. I'll have to compare and see if the ones on the SD are worth keeping.
Old 03-22-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So Sotra was lying when he said "When I got them at Best Buy during release week I brought printouts from Walmart.com and PM'ed all of them"?
I think Trevor (with whom I am now at war) articulated it better than I did.

Old 03-22-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No I most certainly am not! It is true that most stores do not PM printouts (Target specifies that they don't) and I really didn't think BB did, but I was following the weekly ad here when the SBs came out and a few people reported success stories about PMing walmart.com. So, on the last day of the sale I gave it a shot and no problems. Might've gotten lucky and I will say that it was one of the very few times BB positively surprised me (and again last week), but in general I much prefer Target and usually only use BB for exclusives like the SBs.
Old 03-22-10, 11:22 AM

I didn't know that about the special features. Thanks. I'll have to compare and see if the ones on the SD are worth keeping.
Apparently the ones missing from the 2005 releases are fairly minor, introductions for one, but some pretty cool stuff on the old Toy Box third disc are missing.