Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Save $10.00 off Toy Story & Toy Story 2 Blu-rays when you upgrade from DVD or VHS!

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Save $10.00 off Toy Story & Toy Story 2 Blu-rays when you upgrade from DVD or VHS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-10, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Save $10.00 off Toy Story & Toy Story 2 Blu-rays when you upgrade from DVD or VHS

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I didn't mean to say "ticket taker." I meant the ticket seller (box office, as you put it). Obviously, the ticket taker is only interested in taking my ticket and has no interest in how it was purchased! As for receiving any balance remaining in the account after the transaction, I believe the terms of use forbid it. It's nowhere on the printout that I can see, but I think I read it in the online FAQ. In any event, after scoring each Blu-ray for $6.99 apiece, I think it would be disingenuous for me to then insist on getting paid to see Toy Story 3.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, but you won't recieve any remaining balance off the $8.50; rather, the theatre will request the remaining balance from you should the ticket exceed $8.50.
Old 03-24-10, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Save $10.00 off Toy Story & Toy Story 2 Blu-rays when you upgrade from DVD or VHS

Originally Posted by darkhawk
I know the manager at one TRU down here and he knows the coupons. He told me that there is no fraud involved using a $5 and a $10 coupon. The $10 being for people who own the dvds and the $5 one is for any body. They are two completely different offers like jpb07 said.

He also said that using the $10 and the $8 upgrade email coupon together would be concidered fraud, because they're the same type of coupon, just different amounts.
Well, I wish all store managers saw it that way! But again, I'm completely happy at having got them for $7.99 each. To me, that was a hell of a bargain!

Last edited by mattyp4; 03-24-10 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-24-10, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
Sorry if I wasn't clear, but you won't recieve any remaining balance off the $8.50; rather, the theatre will request the remaining balance from you should the ticket exceed $8.50.
I've managed to express myself poorly and misunderstand you in this thread twice so far! Yeah, the movie tickets instruct the theaters to collect any difference between their $8.50 limit and the cost per ticket from the movie-goer.

We won't be seeing it in 3D, since my wife can only take a few minutes of 3D before getting a massive headache, so we should be able to find a 2D showing this'll cover.
Old 03-24-10, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

/\ No worries

My wife and I will probably catch a 2D showing, as well. Shouldn't be more than a few extra quarters out of our pockets.
Old 03-24-10, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
/\ No worries

My wife and I will probably catch a 2D showing, as well. Shouldn't be more than a few extra quarters out of our pockets.
The only way we get out of paying at the theater where we're going is if we see it in 2D (which we will, as mentioned) and either go before 6:00 or if we go on a Tuesday, when all movies are $5.00 (provided this price scheme is still in place by mid-June). Otherwise, we'll have to pay a mere 50 cents apiece to go after 6:00 and a whopping dollar apiece to go on a Friday or Saturday night.

What I want to know is, what's so unique about Disney that they can be so healthy as a company while offering so many consumer-friendly deals that other studios aren't doing these things? Disney is actually paying the retailer $20 on our behalf for those coupons, and up to $17 to the theater on our behalf. That's $37 from Disney, and only $16 from us. And we didn't even get the insane deal plenty of other people got by pre-ordering at TRU and getting The Princess and the Frog!
Old 03-24-10, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hmm... TRU is having BOGO on all DVDs on Friday, so that means Toy Story 1 & 2 Combo-Pack in DVD gold package are part of the deal? Sounds like I can get another 2 Toy Story 1/2 for free if pre-ordered in DVD package.

With $10 Promo
$21.99 TS1 + $0.00 TS2 - $10 Promo = $11.99 + 9.75% tax = $13.16 - $10 TS1 - $10 TS2 = $6.84 credit

Without $10 Promo
$21.99 TS1 + $0.00 TS2 = $21.99 + 9.75% tax = $24.13 - $10 TS1 - $10 TS2 = $4.13
Old 03-24-10, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by iNCREDiPiNOY
Hmm... TRU is having BOGO on all DVDs on Friday
Where did you see that?
Old 03-24-10, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmm... TRU is having BOGO on all DVDs on Friday, so that means Toy Story 1 & 2 Combo-Pack in DVD gold package are part of the deal? Sounds like I can get another 2 Toy Story 1/2 for free if pre-ordered in DVD package.
Provided that, by Friday, TRU's cashiers aren't summarily executing anyone who approaches the register with a Disney title and a coupon.
Old 03-24-10, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

All this bickering about the use of multiple coupons!

While the actions of some (I'm including myself here) may not have been in the spirit of every rule, the actual number of people using even one coupon is minuscule compared to the number of of people paying full price.

In short, we don't even make a blip on their radar, considering how many units they will sell this week.
Old 03-24-10, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I am happy with the deal I received. Won't specify details, but it is similar to others and maybe not as good as others, and yet better than some others.. but if I am happy with the price I paid... and without any "fraud" that I know about, then that is sufficient. thanks to all on the forum.. and... Happy Hunting next time... to all of us... ..

Last edited by b2net; 03-24-10 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-24-10, 07:14 PM

At local Best Buy they would not take the two coupons. Said it was "double-dipping". That must be a "BB term" they use a lot because I heard that from two different salesmen at two different times. She tried to make me believe that their $10 off was better than my $20 in coupons. I just told her to cancel and I'll go somewhere else where they'll take the coupons.
Old 03-24-10, 08:41 PM

Finally got to Target after my Toys R' Us debacle, one Blu Ray style case left for the first Toy Story. Snagged it and the second one, but got stuck with some gawky looking young guy who refused to take the five dollar coupons. Oh well, after all the running around, I was still able to pick both up for $18.50 (I know, ridiculous compared to some) but for two Blu Rays, I'm happy. Now bring on "Finding Nemo" and "The Incredibles".
Old 03-24-10, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by jwstl
Where did you see that?
TV AD commercial on ABC7 or Disney Channel.
Old 03-24-10, 09:28 PM

Got them both at TRU today for $6 and some change. I was just nice and told the cashier that I had two $10 coupons for upgrading to blu-ray and the website also had $5 off manufacturers coupons. I just told him that I wasn't sure if they could take both and if they couldn't I wouldn't complain. He told me had no problem trying for me and sure enough it worked. Sometimes it helps to just act clueless and not try to scheme with the employee.
Old 03-24-10, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by takingchase
Sometimes it helps to just act clueless and not try to scheme with the employee.
This works 99% of the time for me. I got them at Target and just used the $10 off coupon on each, but I had to travel to 4 of them to finally find a copy of Toy Story 2 in a BD case.
Old 03-24-10, 09:53 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by darkside
This works 99% of the time for me. I got them at Target and just used the $10 off coupon on each, but I had to travel to 4 of them to finally find a copy of Toy Story 2 in a BD case.
So you were the one that took the last one somewhere!

I went to 4 of them and didn't find squat!

The only place I didn't check was the one out at The Vineyard (1604/Blanco).
Old 03-24-10, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Again I'll ask... given that Disney issues 2 coupons with different IDs via the coupon printer per computer, I take that to mean that buying 2 copies and using 1 of your 2 unique coupons on each is considered OK (i.e. not considered "fraud" by Disney or the retailers)?
Old 03-24-10, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
No, not at all. Target only allows the use of 1 manufacturer coupon, you used 2! It's that simple. The coupon reads that only one coupon allowed and not allowed in conjunction with another coupon, is that so hard to understand??? You ignored both to get a few extra bucks back.
What does Target's coupon policy have to do with a purchase at Toys R Us?
Old 03-24-10, 10:59 PM

I went to Target and wouldn't you know it I got the one lady who was a stick in the mud. She admitted that Target will use one coupon of their own and one manufacturer's coupon per product -- but she was afraid to take any internet coupons. Fortunately, I was adamant and the manager sided with me. Personally, I blame Kmart for the wasted time after their ridiculous internet fail.
Old 03-24-10, 11:08 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
Again I'll ask... given that Disney issues 2 coupons with different IDs via the coupon printer per computer, I take that to mean that buying 2 copies and using 1 of your 2 unique coupons on each is considered OK (i.e. not considered "fraud" by Disney or the retailers)?
Obviously.
Old 03-24-10, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm... TRU is having BOGO on all DVDs on Friday
If that's the case, then I'll probably swing by and pick up A Bug's Life and something else. I have all the Pixar movies released on Blu except for ABL. I'm thinking about getting Bolt.
Old 03-25-10, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkUSA
No, not at all. Target only allows the use of 1 manufacturer coupon, you used 2! It's that simple. The coupon reads that only one coupon allowed and not allowed in conjunction with another coupon, is that so hard to understand??? You ignored both to get a few extra bucks back.

Originally Posted by shelland
What does Target's coupon policy have to do with a purchase at Toys R Us?
I'm glad someone else caught this as well, I was just about to ask this until I saw your post Sounds like somebody tried the same thing but at Target instead of TRU and got shot down perhaps? Probaly not, but at least it's fun to speculate.
Old 03-25-10, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
If that's the case, then I'll probably swing by and pick up A Bug's Life and something else. I have all the Pixar movies released on Blu except for ABL. I'm thinking about getting Bolt.
The only thing is I believe this is probably for DVD's only, usually TRU is pretty specific with things like that and I think incredipinoy alluded to that in saying they would pickup the DVD combo version of Toy Story's. I assume of course you were thinking of the Bluray of ABL?
Old 03-25-10, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like a few people in here need the...

Old 03-25-10, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

^

I believe some people are reading too deeply into these Disney coupons. If you looked at the UPC code for the $10 TS upgrade coupon, it is IDENTICAL to the $10 TS2 upgrade coupon. The same applies to the $5 coupons, both TS1 and TS2 have the same UPC code there as well. The only thing that differentiate any of the $10 TS (1&2) coupons is the unique 16-digit dot-scan barcode on the upper right hand corner; and the same goes for the $5 coupons.

As far as the retailers are concerned, they only care that the UPC code scans on their cash register (well, except for those losers at Worst Buy... ). Once a cashier accepts the coupon and scans it and the discount is accepted by the register, that's the end of the coupon transaction. The only thing that was ever recorded on your receipt (as well as the retailer's computer system) was the UPC code from the coupon. That lousy 16-digit unique coupon code never comes into play. Even for those who are paranoid enough to think that Disney can track unique coupons down to specific individuals. HOW IN THE WORLD can they ever figure out that John Doe #13429 printed both $10 and $5 coupons for TS 1 and 2 and used all four coupons in the same transaction??? When Disney finally get their coupons back, it is most likely in a bundle from Toys R Us store #201 for the month of March, for example. All Disney can do is scan all those 16-digit codes to make sure people are not fraudulently redeeming multiple copies of the same coupon, but no way can they track how each individual are using their coupons...

So just relax already with the paranoia please.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.