Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Save $10.00 off Toy Story & Toy Story 2 Blu-rays when you upgrade from DVD or VHS!

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Save $10.00 off Toy Story & Toy Story 2 Blu-rays when you upgrade from DVD or VHS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Save $10.00 off Toy Story & Toy Story 2 Blu-rays when you upgrade from DVD or VHS

Originally Posted by cheapdvdho
3.98 for both pre-tax (TRU 34 - (10+10+5+5) manufacturers coupons). Deal of the year.

i don't know....the amazon up/monster's, inc. deal was about the same for many of us. i do know, however, that at the end of the year, disney will probably get the 'studio of the year' award from many of us, due to all of the insane deals!
Old 03-23-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Save $10.00 off Toy Story & Toy Story 2 Blu-rays when you upgrade from DVD or VHS

Originally Posted by kevin75
i don't know....the amazon up/monster's, inc. deal was about the same for many of us. i do know, however, that at the end of the year, disney will probably get the 'studio of the year' award from many of us, due to all of the insane deals!
That was the deal of last year!
Old 03-23-10, 11:26 AM

In and out at TRU in Times Square for TS1 and TS2--I had both sets of coupons with me, but I only gave them the $10 off coupons--probably should have tried the $5 coupons as well. Anyway, considering the free movie cash to TS3, glad to have both of these blus for essentially nothing. I didn't need to come out ahead. The interesting thing was, they had a ton of the "yellow" TS2 set, but only a few of the "blue" TS2 set. So even though both sets contained the BD, for us anal folks, it could have been annoying if the "blue" sets were all gone.
Old 03-23-10, 11:28 AM
Banned

Is the Free Interactive DVD-ROM a Target exclusive?
Old 03-23-10, 11:30 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder what the reasoning behind including the Blu with the regular DVD set? I know it is getting more common place to have the dvd version included with a blu-ray package. But a blu-ray disc included with the dvd release is new. I wonder if it is to entice people to upgrade to a blu-ray player knowing that they have the superior version in their hands, but can't watch it on their regular dvd player.

I also wonder how many people are going to put the blu-ray player in a regular dvd player and have it not work and think they got a defective copy?
Old 03-23-10, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dkedvd
Is the Free Interactive DVD-ROM a Target exclusive?
Originally Posted by kstublen
For those interested, the bonus DVD-Rom Game is indeed a Target Exclusive (I compared to the discs at Best Buy). It doesn't say exclusive on the package, but it does indicate whether or not the DVD-Rom Game is included. They are shrink-wrapped to the package in a Paper CD Sleeve.
Originally Posted by JediJones
...Target advertises the included DVD-ROM games on the packaging, but does not say on the packaging itself that it is a Target exclusive or show the Target logo or anything. I think the ad and/or signage does say it's Target exclusive though. Unless it's another "misleading," i.e. false promotion on their part as they've done repeatedly in the past. Each movie seems to show it includes a different game too, which is more than I was expecting.
Old 03-23-10, 11:36 AM

Regarding the BD and DVD being packaged together, it is all about added value (and perhaps also about introducing the masses to blu-ray). If you provide added value, customers are happy, whether at the prices we are paying, or at the higher prices someone off the street is willing to pay. Completely anecdotally, from reading this and other forums, the TS2 set with the BD case and the blue packaging seems to be in short supply. It may be a total fiction, but there does seem to be more of the DVD plus blu-ray sets out there of TS2.

As to these older titles where we've all bought the movies several times over by now, the bonus DVD isn't all that useful or necessary. But on the new releases, like Ice Age 3, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, etc., the BD/DVD package is very clutch, for those times and rooms when you only have a DVD player available.

Last edited by jeffrey r; 03-23-10 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-23-10, 11:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vryce
I also wonder how many people are going to put the blu-ray player in a regular dvd player and have it not work and think they got a defective copy?
Thousands!
Old 03-23-10, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jeffrey r
In and out at TRU in Times Square for TS1 and TS2--I had both sets of coupons with me, but I only gave them the $10 off coupons--probably should have tried the $5 coupons as well. Anyway, considering the free movie cash to TS3, glad to have both of these blus for essentially nothing. I didn't need to come out ahead. The interesting thing was, they had a ton of the "yellow" TS2 set, but only a few of the "blue" TS2 set. So even though both sets contained the BD, for us anal folks, it could have been annoying if the "blue" sets were all gone.
I only used the $10 coupons as well. In hindsight, that was a mistake. What I should have done was pickup a copy of Ratatouille and use all 4 of the TS coupons as well as the $8 Ratatouille upgrade coupon I have. That would have given me another $18 off and Ratatouille was "only" $24.
Old 03-23-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went the TRU route as well with no preorder. They took all 4 coupons with no problems. $6.47 out the door. Thanks again for posting all the coupons!
Old 03-23-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Just got back from Target. Love it when the cashier just asked when I put everything down "Do you have any coupons" with a smile on my face, I simply said yes, here are two (the $10) coupons for Toy Story I and II. Rang up, scanned both coupons and I walked out of there with both for $15.98 + tax. Good enought for me.
Old 03-23-10, 11:50 AM

I wonder what the reasoning behind including the Blu with the regular DVD set? I know it is getting more common place to have the dvd version included with a blu-ray package. But a blu-ray disc included with the dvd release is new. I wonder if it is to entice people to upgrade to a blu-ray player knowing that they have the superior version in their hands, but can't watch it on their regular dvd player.
They did it for Snow White too. I don't really understand the reasoning behind it either. I guess it's a mind trick I'm not quite getting since I'm already on the Blu-ray train. lol
Old 03-23-10, 12:14 PM

Walked out of Target at 9am this morning paying $15 for the two of them plus two Hershey bars. Would have been $10 but I didn't realize that when I printed the $5 coupons, TS printed out as the US version and TS 2 came out Canadian. Still not a bad deal....when you factor in that I was already planning to go to TS3, the BRs were still free.

Forgot to mention that to add to the awesomeness, I walked out of BB with The Blind Side for $10. (Meijer has it for 19.99 and I had a $10 RZ cert.) $25 for three BRs.....better than just about any of the Xmas sales on NRs.

Last edited by jpb07; 03-23-10 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-23-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Around $10 for me at Target. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-23-10, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wonder what the reasoning behind including the Blu with the regular DVD set?
According to a Disney press release I read, it is to "future proof" collections. Parents are probably weary of buying and re-buying the same movies in multiple formats and versions. The kid runs up to the DVD display and starts whining "I want I want I want" and the parent's first thought is "I'm not getting you that because there's just going to be a new one in a year." This is Disney's way of assuring parents that it's okay to buy the DVD now and still have the best version when they upgrade later.
Old 03-23-10, 12:25 PM
Banned

Just got mine. $3.99 total (before tax).
Old 03-23-10, 12:26 PM

No problem with using the coupons at TRU for me, the issue I ran into was that they didn't think they had the Blu-Ray case versions. The manager came over and kept insisting over and over that it was the same thing. I pointed out that it was a different UPC on my pre-order cards, and that I specifically reserved that version because my shelves aren't spaced far enough apart to accomodate a full-size DVD case. The cashier was on my side arguing against the manager that the system wouldn't handle the pre-order correctly since it was a different UPC, so that was a plus. They didn't have any in the back either, but finally someone dug through the box of reserves at the customer service desk and found the Blu-Ray cases buried at the bottom.
Old 03-23-10, 12:27 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by illennium
According to a Disney press release I read, it is to "future proof" collections. Parents are probably weary of buying and re-buying the same movies in multiple formats and versions. The kid runs up to the DVD display and starts whining "I want I want I want" and the parent's first thought is "I'm not getting you that because there's just going to be a new one in a year." This is Disney's way of assuring parents that it's okay to buy the DVD now and still have the best version when they upgrade later.
That's cool and a smart move on Disney's part. I don't know the official reason why many Blu copies come with a DVD copy but I know that I like it. I can use the DVD copy to travel with as more people I know have DVD players. Plus, it can be played in my laptop since it is older and doesn't have a blu-ray drive.
Moves like this benefit the customer and don't seem to have a negative effect. I'm sure it costs pennies to include a DVD disc in with the Blu-Ray copy and visa versa.

Including the Blu with the DVD is smart too for the example you posted. Younger children can sometimes scratch and damage a DVD player. This way the parent has a "Backup" copy that can still be enjoyed if or when they have a Blu-Ray player.
Old 03-23-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not sure if this is in this thread or not but which UPC symbol do I have to send in to get the $8.00 rebate? The old one or the new Bluray one?

Thanks!
Old 03-23-10, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, this was hell.

When I handed them the 4 coupons, a supervisior immediately took my receipts (w/ PatF) to the CSR counter and TEN MINUTES LATER came back and said I couldn't use ANY Of the coupons. First they were confused b/c I used coupons for PatF and thought they were for Toy Story. Then they said I couldn't combine promotions. Another supervisor (who must have previously
worked at Best Buy) continued to fight me until the store manager finally relented and allowed me to use 2 coupons. So this Best-Buy reject uses a $10 coupon and a $5 coupon. After CONTINUED FIGHTING, she finally used two $10 coupons.

I also had another pre-order (that I did earlier w/ a randowm Disney DVD). I was going to go ahead and pick it up even just using the $10 coupons, but the Best-Buy reject said that is was only one per customer, regardless of the fact I had seperate coupons.

BTW, be careful picking up the Blu-ray/DVD and NOT DVD/Blu-ray. I picked up the wrong one by accident (and didn't even notice until I went to Target b/c about all they had was the DVD/Blu-ray). This was my fault though. But the Best-Buy reject was not what you would call bright and straightening this out took another 20 minutes .

3 Blu-rays for 6+tax. Great price, but I feel I EARNED IT.

Last edited by That'sAllFolks; 03-23-10 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-23-10, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't even realize this, but when I submitted the codes for Toy Story and Toy Story 2 at the Disney Rewards site, I then got two emails, both with a movie ticket code to watch Toy Story 3 for free. This deal couldn't have been any better.
Old 03-23-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I'm not sure if this is in this thread or not but which UPC symbol do I have to send in to get the $8.00 rebate? The old one or the new Bluray one?

Thanks!
The old one and it's not a rebate. Disney will e-mail you an $8 coupon to be used when you purchase the new Blu-ray.
Old 03-23-10, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
The old one and it's not a rebate. Disney will e-mail you an $8 coupon to be used when you purchase the new Blu-ray.
Oh... I seem to remember that. Thanks!
Old 03-23-10, 12:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My local TRU only had the DVD/BD cases out on the racks. I asked and they said all the BD/DVD cases were for reserves. Luckily a guy who had reserved them showed up and wanted the DVD/BD cases, so we each bought ours and switched. The system took all four coupons without any issues, and the cashier was shocked at how cheap we were getting these movies for (the other guy had coupons as well). Out the door with both movies in Blu-ray cases for $7 and change.
Old 03-23-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Just to clarify:

Disney's Upgrade2Blu promotion is an $8.00 mail-in coupon you get for sending in the Proof of Purchase tab from a DVD version of the same movie you want on Blu-ray.

Disney also has a $10.00 off coupon on their Disney Movie Rewards website. To get these, you enter the UPC code from any previous version (VHS or DVD) of each movie, and then print.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.