Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Save $10.00 off Toy Story & Toy Story 2 Blu-rays when you upgrade from DVD or VHS!

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Save $10.00 off Toy Story & Toy Story 2 Blu-rays when you upgrade from DVD or VHS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-10, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Save $10.00 off Toy Story & Toy Story 2 Blu-rays when you upgrade from DVD or VHS

I've never preordered anything at TRU. When I go pick them up tomorrow do I go grab them off the floor or do I go to the customer service counter? And if I do grab them off the floor do I just go to a register with my receipt?
Old 03-23-10, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts
Re: Save $10.00 off Toy Story & Toy Story 2 Blu-rays when you upgrade from DVD or VHS

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I've never preordered anything at TRU. When I go pick them up tomorrow do I go grab them off the floor or do I go to the customer service counter? And if I do grab them off the floor do I just go to a register with my receipt?
Neither have I. But in most likelihood they'll have a stash behind the customer service counter as well as those that are out on display. So you can probably do whichever is more convenient for you...
Old 03-23-10, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks very much LASERMOVIES and BuckNaked2k. I was getting to the screen with TS1&2, but then couldn't figure it out. Maybe I was thinking too hard.
Old 03-23-10, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

The last time I picked up a pre-order I went to the customer service desk with just the card and receipt, and she asked me to go get one off the shelf. "I told her, I thought this card meant you were holding one for me?", she basically said that they are, but she would have to go in the back to get one, and it was easier to grab one off the shelf.

I don't know if I believe that or not, because if there were some in the back set aside for pre-orders, how do they know how many pre orders they've actually fulfilled if people are just grabbing them off the shelves?
Old 03-23-10, 07:59 AM

Anyone going to try taking the Toys R Us ad to Target for a price match?
Old 03-23-10, 08:22 AM

Done and done! I got the movies for $1.99 each at Target. It was not easy. In fact they initially said they wouldn't do it, but it was because of the words "combo pack" in the TRU ad. They tried to say it wasn't the same thing they're selling. I think I made a mistake going to a middle-aged, professorial-looking woman as a cashier, which I unfortunately did because there was already a line at customer service where a younger girl who appeared more trusting and people-pleasing was. This cashier turned into an FBI forensics analyst towards the ad. She started consulting with the electronics cashier on every move, and when she came back the first time I got the denial. But when I asked to talk to the electronics girl myself, she said she made a mistake about the combo pack and that they would honor the price match. At one point I even got the dreaded "why don't you buy it at Toys "R" Us?" But the closest TRU is actually closing for remodeling and isn't getting new stock, so I had that excuse. Which was safe because the other TRUs are still within 10 miles, certainly a price-matchable distance. I think I did get lucky that a higher-level manager wasn't brought in.

Another move I made that was probably a mistake was not adding some items onto the purchase, because when the price came down to only $4 total the original cashier started fretting, saying she didn't understand and again called over the electronics girl. But the electronics girl said it was fine, and that was because Target took off an additional $10. In fact a couple times they asked me where they could get the coupons. They said they needed to keep the TRU ad as well. If I added on maybe a $30 toy or something they might not have realized how low the price was, and I could always return the toy later. Strangely enough the receipt shows a package subtotal of $33.98 - $10 = $23.98 on the bottom, even though ABOVE that on the receipt the $10 coupons are shown deducted from each movie. So the order of the information on the receipt looks pretty darn confusing. If the cashier also sees the total on their screen jumping from $23.98 to $3.98 on the next line like on the receipt, that could be a red flag.

One possible life-saver is that Target advertises the included DVD-ROM games on the packaging, but does not say on the packaging itself that it is a Target exclusive or show the Target logo or anything. I think the ad and/or signage does say it's Target exclusive though. Unless it's another "misleading," i.e. false promotion on their part as they've done repeatedly in the past. Each movie seems to show it includes a different game too, which is more than I was expecting. And the free movie tickets are in there as well.

Last edited by JediJones; 03-23-10 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-23-10, 08:30 AM

I got my Toy Story Blu-rays from Target this morning. The first Target I went to only had the DVD packaging. I had what was probably my rock-bottom OCD moment as I got back in the car & drove to another Target right down the street. (Stupidly, there are two Targets right down the street from each other where my parents live.) And fortunately, the second Target had the Blu-ray packaging.

I picked up a few other items & when I went to pay, the cashier saw that $10 automatically came off (the in-store promo when you buy both titles), so she then scanned ONE of the $10 coupons (I had handed her both, of course). I then pointed out that she only scanned the one coupon, but she said the other $10 already came off & that she can only accept one manufacturer coupon per item. Something along those lines. I explained to her that the first $10 was an in-store promo & that each title had its own additional coupon. She seemed confused. Then I showed her the Target ad that stated the in-store promotion, etc. I finally asked her to just try scanning the other coupon & she seemed to do it reluctantly. Of course, the last $10 came off. She replied, "I wasn't prepared for that." I was just like, "yeah, there are a lot of coupons out there!"

She wasn't upset or stubborn or anything, just confused. I don't blame her though. Us nerds have been gearing up for these coupons & discussing it nonstop for like, 3 weeks now. I'm sure that little old lady doesn't know every coupon that's floating out there. So just be prepared-- you might have to do some explaining! (Fortunately I didn't need to go to a manager or anything.)

Funnily enough though, when I first began unloading my cart & she saw the Toy Story Blu-rays, she asked if I wanted to use some coupons that a previous customer had left behind (presumably for others to use). She then showed me the same ones that I had brought-- though I didn't see if they were the $5 or $10 coupons. I laughed & told her I had brought my own. Maybe some guy used his $10 coupons & left behind the $5 ones? Also, I wonder if she screwed that guy & only scanned one of his coupons, since it seemed like my transaction was the first time she accepted both. I dunno. Who cares though? I got my Toy Story Blu-rays for $7.99 each. I'm pretty happy about that.

(I should mention that I didn't bother asking to price-match the Toys R Us price. That seemed a little troublesome & potentially shady to me. Plus $7.99 each is a good enough deal already!! I don't want to be frigging greedy now!)

Last edited by mattyp4; 03-23-10 at 08:34 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-23-10, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, if Target takes both coupons it will be $15.98 plus tax total out the door for both, right?
Old 03-23-10, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
The last time I picked up a pre-order I went to the customer service desk with just the card and receipt, and she asked me to go get one off the shelf. "I told her, I thought this card meant you were holding one for me?", she basically said that they are, but she would have to go in the back to get one, and it was easier to grab one off the shelf.

I don't know if I believe that or not, because if there were some in the back set aside for pre-orders, how do they know how many pre orders they've actually fulfilled if people are just grabbing them off the shelves?
They aren't reserving anything, at least at my stores.

When Snow White came out I had a pre-order, went to pick it up on Wednesday and they were sold out and pretty much said "too bad".

They refunded my pre-order, and I proceeded then to call the corporate number in the store to file a complaint. After about 10 minutes they magically found one and sold it to me with the $-5 preorder even though I was already refunded that part. In the end I got the movie for $5 less, but it was a pain and just one of the reasons I hate my local TRU.
Old 03-23-10, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Went to Target. Got both for $17.98 (tax included) out the door. After using both tickets on TS3 they will have cost me $.98.

I'm giving the DVDs and the CD-Roms to the daughter of a friend. I also gave her the DVD and purse from The Princess and the Frog last week.

Thanks, Disney. Thanks, Target. Thanks to those who found the deal.
Old 03-23-10, 09:17 AM
Banned

With all those coupons out can't you do better than 17.00 total?
Old 03-23-10, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by bd...?
With all those coupons out can't you do better than 17.00 total?
Is that too expensive for you?!
Old 03-23-10, 09:24 AM

Are the tickets included in the packaging or are they redeemed online with a code?
Old 03-23-10, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by kingtopher
Are the tickets included in the packaging or are they redeemed online with a code?
I think they are redeemed online with a code that comes in the case.
Old 03-23-10, 09:27 AM
Banned

No it's a real good deal I just assumed people would use or try to se all coupons and walk out spending 5-10 dollars
Old 03-23-10, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by kingtopher
Pretty sure you have to go online. The fine print says the offer is only open to Disney Movie Rewards members. The value is $8.50 each.
Old 03-23-10, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mattyp4
Is that too expensive for you?!
When it can be had for less than that, YES.
Old 03-23-10, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by movielib
Went to Target. Got both for $17.98 (tax included) out the door. After using both tickets on TS3 they will have cost me $.98.

I'm giving the DVDs and the CD-Roms to the daughter of a friend. I also gave her the DVD and purse from The Princess and the Frog last week.

Thanks, Disney. Thanks, Target. Thanks to those who found the deal.
yeah, i got the same deal. they wouldn't let me use anything more with those 2 $10 off coupons
Old 03-23-10, 10:06 AM

Just got back from Toys R Us. The register/computer let me use both the 10.00 and 5.00 off coupons on each Blu-Ray. That brought them down to 1.99 each plus tax. I was fully prepared to only be allowed to use 1 coupon per disk but it accepted both with no need for an over-ride by the cashier.
Old 03-23-10, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Indy Jones Fan
Just got back from Toys R Us. The register/computer let me use both the 10.00 and 5.00 off coupons on each Blu-Ray. That brought them down to 1.99 each plus tax. I was fully prepared to only be allowed to use 1 coupon per disk but it accepted both with no need for an over-ride by the cashier.
Lucky bastard! I think me being the first customer of the day worked against me. Only 1 register open, and all of the managers were hovering over the one cashier already talking about the coupons before I approached...I guess they were trying to prepare for how to handle them. I tried to use both sets, but the manager lady wasn't gonna let the cashier do that. I have a feeling if it was just the cashier, she would have just scanned them. Regardless, I'm thrilled with $15.68 for both out the door. Thanks posters!
Old 03-23-10, 10:51 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting this. Previously I was going to hit Target and use two $5 off coupons, one for each movie. I would have ended up paying about $20 or so.

I went to Toys R Us yesterday to pre-order and got A Bug's Life for $9.99.
Today, I went to TRU with both $10 off coupons and both $5 off coupons. At first, the cashier said that the two $5 off coupons wouldn't take anything off and to just use the $10 off coupons. But, I had picked up a $5.99 card game and a 20oz bottle of pop. She rang everything up and then asked for the two $5 off coupons. My total was $3.46 for Toy Story 1 & 2 blu-ray packages, pop and card game.

So, thanks to this deal and the cashier saying she would apply all 4 coupons without me asking and prepared for only the two $10 coupons being accepted I got a great deal. A better one was last week for Princess and the Frog for free with pre-order and that $10 off coupon, but I didn't really want PatF.

I consider A Bugs Life + Toy Story 1 + Toy Story 2 + $5.99 card game and $1.59 bottle of pop for a total of $24ish($5 + $5 pre-order + $9.99 ABL + $3.46 out of pocket when picking up TS1 & TS2) to be a great deal and I am quite happy.
I can gift my DVD copy of A Bugs Life that I had from years ago to a family member since I now have it on Blu.

In front of me was another couponer. I think she got the same Toy Story 1 & 2 deal that I did. She had New Moon blu-ray in her transaction and was trying to get that $16 off coupon to apply to just the one. The cashier did not let that one through and spoke with the manager after the customer said it should be applicable to just the one movie and not required to buy all 4. The cashier and manager agreed that all four had to be purchased, so the lady had the cashier remove New Moon.

Last edited by Canis Firebrand; 03-23-10 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-23-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those interested, the bonus DVD-Rom Game is indeed a Target Exclusive (I compared to the discs at Best Buy). It doesn't say exclusive on the package, but it does indicate whether or not the DVD-Rom Game is included. They are shrink-wrapped to the package in a Paper CD Sleeve.

Originally Posted by Quake1028
So, if Target takes both coupons it will be $15.98 plus tax total out the door for both, right?
Correct. This is the route I went as I already have all the Disney Blu-rays I want and there would be no disc for me to get with the pre-order deal at Target. Still, I'm plenty happy with paying roughly $8.50 per Blu-ray.
Old 03-23-10, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All done! Went to Target when they opened (lest they run out of stock early). Got TS1 + TS2 for $15.98 total for the two (picked up a few other things as well, including The Blind Side on BD). Then went over to their in-house Starbucks and got my free pastry with my coffee (it's Free Pastry Day, in case you didn't know!). Very pleased with everything and I truly don't mind paying $7.99 each for the Toy Story movies - heckuva lot better than what their full retail price is!!! Thanks to all who contributed their valuable input to this thread!
Old 03-23-10, 11:10 AM

3.98 for both pre-tax (TRU 34 - (10+10+5+5) manufacturers coupons). Deal of the year.

Old 03-23-10, 11:11 AM

The cashier forgot to scan the second coupon. Luckily I noticed before leaving the store. They refunded me $10 but I always feel like it’s not that good of a deal unless it’s all on one receipt lol. It’s a mental thing I guess….

$23 + $23 = $46

$46 - $10 (In-Store Promo) = $36

$36 - $10 (Coupon) - $10 (Coupon) = $16

$16 - $5 (Giftcard) = $11

$5.50 each

Cheapest Blu-ray I’ve bought to date!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.