DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Up in the Air now $22.99 on Amazon (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/570605-up-air-now-%2422-99-amazon.html)

Mr. Cinema 03-09-10 02:43 PM

Up in the Air now $22.99 on Amazon

Up in the Air

This was just lowered.

Solid Snake 03-09-10 02:51 PM

Re: Up in the Air now $22.99 on Amazon

Still a bit too high. I'd only bite if it was jam packed w/ features out the ass. Loved the flick but....I'll wait.

kahuna 03-09-10 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 10040708)
Still a bit too high. I'd only bite if it was jam packed w/ features out the ass. Loved the flick but....I'll wait.

Same here I'll bit when I can find a used copy for under $10 plus shipping. So it's going to be a while.

The Lizard King 03-09-10 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema (Post 10040679)
Up in the Air

This was just lowered.

I wonder which competitor they're price matching?

TLK :cool:

biglou114 03-09-10 02:57 PM

I'd bite if it was $5 cheaper.

The Lizard King 03-09-10 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by biglou114 (Post 10040726)
I'd bite if it was $5 cheaper.

Me, too.

TLK :cool:

PopcornBandit 03-09-10 03:17 PM

Give me a $14.99 - $19.99 price and I'll bite.

dolphinboy 03-09-10 04:41 PM

Thanks to the OP.

I'm getting $4 back because I saw this here. Amazon is making it so that I'm simply unable to preorder from them unless I see a price that I believe isn't likely to drop significantly on release day.

And I'm really getting sick of explaining the price guarantee to their customer service people and then further explaining what a release date is.

Moleman1138 03-09-10 08:05 PM

The only good thing about not biting on day 1 is no worry about a slipcover.

Solid Snake 03-09-10 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit (Post 10040791)
Give me a $14.99 - $19.99 price and I'll bite.

yeah...for the amount of features plus the movie. $14.99 is good for me.

Jericho 03-09-10 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy (Post 10040977)
Thanks to the OP.

I'm getting $4 back because I saw this here. Amazon is making it so that I'm simply unable to preorder from them unless I see a price that I believe isn't likely to drop significantly on release day.

And I'm really getting sick of explaining the price guarantee to their customer service people and then further explaining what a release date is.

You do know that Amazon will automatically refund you the price difference on pre-orders, right? They process this automatically every Wednesday. Granted, you can ask for a manual refund too. And sometimes you'll get double the refund that way (manual and automatic). But you don't have to do anything to get the best price.

dolphinboy 03-10-10 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jericho (Post 10041469)
You do know that Amazon will automatically refund you the price difference on pre-orders, right? They process this automatically every Wednesday. Granted, you can ask for a manual refund too. And sometimes you'll get double the refund that way (manual and automatic). But you don't have to do anything to get the best price.

That simply not true. That may be your experience and Amazon "may" be trying to do their best, but they miss refunds on release day price drops a lot. It's happened to me countless times, but I pre-order a lot.

I was forced to started adding my preordered items back into my cart, so that I could check and see if on release date the cart showed a lower price than I'd be charged, which is usually early Monday and my blus and cds and such seem to always or mostly ship on Mondays. I usually get them the next day because I'm lucky enough to live in a city that has a large fulfillment center nearby.

I called and spoke with a manager about 2 month ago to explain my frustration and he treated me quite well and said he believed I WOULD get the automatic credit and he took my phone number and called me back on Friday of that week. No refund. He did it manually, gave me a $10 GC, apologized and said he hoped it wouldn't happen again.

It has. With the amount of things I order a month, the amount of money I've saved by calling is usually enough for 1 blu ray and 1 cd extra each month.

And, I'm not saying I haven't gotten the automatic price adjustments, because I have. But I'd say it's about 50/50 and that's not good enough for me and more annoying when the rep I call won't simply issue the credit because they don't know what the price guarantee is and once Tuesday rolls around, the item no says IN STOCK on the web page, so I have to explain that it's still the release date on Tuesday and then often they put me on hold to check, because they don't know if it's actually the release date or if I'm just trying to pull a fast one to get a discount on the item.

I'm not telling anyone what they should do, just that the system is from perfect and it can be a big pain in the butt and that it's not just isolated. I don't know if it happens to people who's items ship out early, as I stated, mine almost always ship out on the Monday before the release date or if there's some other problem.

But with it being far from perfect and with the calls I have to make and also checking on release date to see if my orders have had any price drops, I'm getting to the point where I see no reason to preorder and item unless its a special deal or that I'm confident the price looks low enough that a release day drop seems unlikely.

What's worse is when the drop the price even lower not on the release date, but the day after or during that first week. I have been spoiled by Amazon for a long time, but going back to buying from stores if they have the best price and a guarantee for at least 30 days that if the item goes on sale that I'll get the difference back is starting to become more attractive to me again.

I would care no matter what, but with prices being higher than I expected them to be on almost every new release, any time I can save money, I'm going to try and do it. You can almost not really care about a dollar or two if you're buying something for $15, but more blus seems to be $25 and up and that makes saving ever dollar paramount to me.

Jericho 03-12-10 06:43 AM

I don't know what to tell you. I pre-order a ton. Only Blu-Ray, but at times multiple releases each week. Got my e-mails on Boondock Saints and Up in the Air on Wednesday. Not only do they send an e-mail on the prices/savings, but a separate e-mail on refunds. Last week, they even gave me the $19.99 Where the Wild Things are price even though it was only briefly at $19.99. Never have to say anything. I've never seen one missed. Amazon obviously isn't doing these manually. Must be something triggering their system. Is their a specific time that you pre-order that is giving it problems? I can't speak to other items outside of Blu-Ray, however.

Originally Posted by dolphinboy (Post 10041785)
That simply not true. That may be your experience and Amazon "may" be trying to do their best, but they miss refunds on release day price drops a lot. It's happened to me countless times, but I pre-order a lot.

I was forced to started adding my preordered items back into my cart, so that I could check and see if on release date the cart showed a lower price than I'd be charged, which is usually early Monday and my blus and cds and such seem to always or mostly ship on Mondays. I usually get them the next day because I'm lucky enough to live in a city that has a large fulfillment center nearby.

I called and spoke with a manager about 2 month ago to explain my frustration and he treated me quite well and said he believed I WOULD get the automatic credit and he took my phone number and called me back on Friday of that week. No refund. He did it manually, gave me a $10 GC, apologized and said he hoped it wouldn't happen again.

It has. With the amount of things I order a month, the amount of money I've saved by calling is usually enough for 1 blu ray and 1 cd extra each month.

And, I'm not saying I haven't gotten the automatic price adjustments, because I have. But I'd say it's about 50/50 and that's not good enough for me and more annoying when the rep I call won't simply issue the credit because they don't know what the price guarantee is and once Tuesday rolls around, the item no says IN STOCK on the web page, so I have to explain that it's still the release date on Tuesday and then often they put me on hold to check, because they don't know if it's actually the release date or if I'm just trying to pull a fast one to get a discount on the item.

I'm not telling anyone what they should do, just that the system is from perfect and it can be a big pain in the butt and that it's not just isolated. I don't know if it happens to people who's items ship out early, as I stated, mine almost always ship out on the Monday before the release date or if there's some other problem.

But with it being far from perfect and with the calls I have to make and also checking on release date to see if my orders have had any price drops, I'm getting to the point where I see no reason to preorder and item unless its a special deal or that I'm confident the price looks low enough that a release day drop seems unlikely.

What's worse is when the drop the price even lower not on the release date, but the day after or during that first week. I have been spoiled by Amazon for a long time, but going back to buying from stores if they have the best price and a guarantee for at least 30 days that if the item goes on sale that I'll get the difference back is starting to become more attractive to me again.

I would care no matter what, but with prices being higher than I expected them to be on almost every new release, any time I can save money, I'm going to try and do it. You can almost not really care about a dollar or two if you're buying something for $15, but more blus seems to be $25 and up and that makes saving ever dollar paramount to me.