Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Best Buy: Star Trek, The Original Series -- Any Season, $39.99 each + Free Shipping

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy: Star Trek, The Original Series -- Any Season, $39.99 each + Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-10, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Best Buy: Star Trek, The Original Series -- Any Season, $39.99 each + Free Shippi

Originally Posted by mgdeals
I got my season 2 and 3 yesterday. The factory seal sticker label on the case said "Best of Star Trek -volume 3" instead of "Star Trek Original Series - Season 3" like season 2 had. The slipcover and box are clearly for the complete season 3 though. Did everybody else get Season 3's with the same error?
My copy is labeled the same way.
Old 03-05-10, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Best Buy: Star Trek, The Original Series -- Any Season, $39.99 each + Free Shippi

Originally Posted by mgdeals
I got my season 2 and 3 yesterday. The factory seal sticker label on the case said "Best of Star Trek -volume 3" instead of "Star Trek Original Series - Season 3" like season 2 had. The slipcover and box are clearly for the complete season 3 though. Did everybody else get Season 3's with the same error?
I had pre-ordered S3 from Amazon when it came out. I received it in the mail, saw that label, and contacted Amazon saying them sent me the wrong item. I assumed it was a partial season. Amazon was OOS, so they gave me my money back plus $15 for my troubles. When I found out later that they were all like that, I felt bad. I have no idea why they labeled it that way, but that's the only way I've seen them...
Old 03-07-10, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I don't remember what I paid for my HD-DVD S1, but whatever it is, I'm satisfied with it. I don't plan on upgrading it to BD unless it is $25 or less... I'm not upgrading most of my HD-DVD's. I'm happy with them. There would have to be a huge difference in quality for me to want to upgrade...
Well, the big difference between the Blu and HD DVD releases is that both the original and enhanced episodes are in HD on the Blu-ray as opposed to only the enhanced versions on the HD DVD.

As for me, I picked up Seasons 1 and 3 at Second Spin for a pretty good price, but I was unable to find Season 2 there. So I jumped on Season 2 and grabbed it when Amazon was matching the price. Hopefully I'll get a slipcover.
Old 03-07-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an FYI: This sale is supposed to last until March 27th, according to in-store shelf tags.
Old 03-07-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
Well, the big difference between the Blu and HD DVD releases is that both the original and enhanced episodes are in HD on the Blu-ray as opposed to only the enhanced versions on the HD DVD.
ahh.. so the studio did it again with a reason for someone to quadruple dip (2 episode dvd, season dvd, hd-dvd, blu-ray). I would have put in a 5 time dip for the redone special releases on DVD, but that would be silly..
Old 03-07-10, 01:03 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I'm very tempted, as ST:TOS is perhaps my favorite show, But after investing in a couple of the 2 episode releases, all the season sets on DVD, and the HD-DVD S1 set, I'm hoping to hold out for an even lower price.
Old 03-07-10, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Adboy151
Just an FYI: This sale is supposed to last until March 27th, according to in-store shelf tags.
good news - maybe my $50 pending RZ certs will post in time....
Old 03-11-10, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
My copy is labeled the same way.
Suprisingly, mine is not. There's absolutely no indication of my S3 set as being a "Best of". It says Season 3 in precisely the same way my Season 2 set is labeled.

Weird.
Old 03-11-10, 11:14 PM

Got my "backordered" season 1 today from bestbuy.com. For those interested, it came with a slip cover, just like 2 and 3. The inner plastic also had an offer for a free sulu action figure, but it expires 1/31/10, and was hidden behind the slipcover anyway, so how would customers see it until after they bought it?
Old 03-12-10, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just looked at my S3 and it says "Best of", too. Hmmm. Funny.

Best surprise so far has been that Disk 4 of S2 has The Trouble With Tribbles all by itself, but as a bonus includes the Tribble episode of the Animated Series and DS9's Trials and Tribble-ations episode along with a pair of making-ofs for the DS9 show, prolly carried over from the DS9 DVDs. Snazzy.

My backordered S1 should be delivered tomorrow. Anyone want a $50 HD DVD S1 set? Only watched one episode!
Old 03-12-10, 08:20 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
Anyone want a $50 HD DVD S1 set? Only watched one episode!
The HD-DVD set is holding its value since I believe it's still the only way to get the remastered episodes on regular DVD. I was able to sell my copy for enough to pick up the blu-ray version, but that was a little while back when the blu-ray first came out.
Old 03-12-10, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are these supposed to have slipcovers? My Season 2 from Amazon I just got didn't have one...
Old 03-12-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
The HD-DVD set is holding its value since I believe it's still the only way to get the remastered episodes on regular DVD. I was able to sell my copy for enough to pick up the blu-ray version, but that was a little while back when the blu-ray first came out.

They do have the remastered episodes on regular DVD sans the HD DVD version. I just received Season 1 from Columbia House and the UPC number is the same as the HD DVD version. The discs look like flippers. However, the SD version is on one side and the flip side is blank.

Originally Posted by naitram
Are these supposed to have slipcovers? My Season 2 from Amazon I just got didn't have one...

Yes. The first run did come with a slipcover.
Old 03-12-10, 10:30 AM

My Season 1 shipped from BestBuy yesterday - should be getting it in a couple of days.
Old 03-12-10, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

gotta head over to best buy soon to pick up my copy of season 1. Havent had a chance yet to get there.
Old 03-12-10, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by naitram
My S2 didn't, but my S3 did.
Old 03-13-10, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

All 3 seasons had slipcovers.
Old 03-15-10, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The slipcovers were only for the first printing, I believe (might've even gone into the second, who knows). They've since stopped including them in new shipments. I've seen non-slip versions at all the stores around here. Luckily my Best Buy had 2 copies of both S2 and S3 with slipcovers (along with ~5 each without) when I picked it up.
Old 03-15-10, 03:51 PM

Is there any other differences between the first and second printings? Amazon keeps moving Season 1 to "On Hold" status or something to "investigate" reported problems. Any relation?
Old 03-15-10, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by masetodd
Is there any other differences between the first and second printings? Amazon keeps moving Season 1 to "On Hold" status or something to "investigate" reported problems. Any relation?
I think some people are having problems with these on certain players, but don't know if that's related. Only problem I had is no slipcover on season 2
Old 03-15-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My S3 from Amazon had a slipcover. I threw it away.
My S2 from BB is on backorder. If my local BB gets it in stock I may "move" my order to local pickup.
Old 03-15-10, 09:15 PM

ordered all 3 from BB and they all came with slipcovers
Old 03-16-10, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally got my third set (S1) today - the delay was because it got bounced around my company's labyrinthine mail system - and it came with the slipcover; all three did.
Old 03-16-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered all three from BB. S3 came with a slipcover. S1 did not but it was damaged and the replacement should be on its way soon, hopefully with a slipcover. S2 was backordered and so I don't know. But clearly not everyone who ordered from BB is receiving slipcovers, though more are than aren't.

Last edited by cgray; 03-16-10 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-16-10, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't understand something. Why are slipcovers a big deal to y'all?

I routinely throw away the ones that come wrapped around my titles. Many times, the slips have exactly the same information and artwork as the "insert" cover, making them redundant. And if they don't, then the actual info I want to see is obscured. Further, they look out of place when the discs are shelved.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.