DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Best Buy: Star Trek, The Original Series -- Any Season, $39.99 each + Free Shipping (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/570095-best-buy-star-trek-original-series-any-season-%2439-99-each-free-shipping.html)

zekeburger1979 03-16-10 11:31 PM

Re: Best Buy: Star Trek, The Original Series -- Any Season, $39.99 each + Free Shippi

Originally Posted by kenbuzz (Post 10053423)
I don't understand something. Why are slipcovers a big deal to y'all?

I routinely throw away the ones that come wrapped around my titles. Many times, the slips have exactly the same information and artwork as the "insert" cover, making them redundant. And if they don't, then the actual info I want to see is obscured. Further, they look out of place when the discs are shelved.

I keep the slipcovers that are different from the DVD cover. The other ones I give to a friend who cuts them up and frames them like a mini-poster.

ytrez 03-17-10 08:13 AM

Re: Best Buy: Star Trek, The Original Series -- Any Season, $39.99 each + Free Shippi

Originally Posted by masetodd (Post 10051042)
Is there any other differences between the first and second printings? Amazon keeps moving Season 1 to "On Hold" status or something to "investigate" reported problems. Any relation?

I think it's because people are reporting they got the wrong product because of the sticker saying "Best Of" or whatever and/or the slipcover complaints. Pisses me off because I'd rather order it from them than go out to best buy.

stingermck 03-17-10 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by kenbuzz (Post 10053423)
I don't understand something. Why are slipcovers a big deal to y'all?

I routinely throw away the ones that come wrapped around my titles. Many times, the slips have exactly the same information and artwork as the "insert" cover, making them redundant. And if they don't, then the actual info I want to see is obscured. Further, they look out of place when the discs are shelved.

To me, it makes a release look more special than just a regular case sitting there. Most TV releases are in a slipcover/case so for my OCD collecting habit, I have season 1 with no slip, beside 2 and 3 with slips.

With that said, does anyone have a season 1 slip theyd like to get rid of?

Fielding Mellish 03-17-10 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by ytrez (Post 10053999)
I think it's because people are reporting they got the wrong product because of the sticker saying "Best Of" or whatever and/or the slipcover complaints. Pisses me off because I'd rather order it from them than go out to best buy.

The sticker problem isn't just limited to Amazon. Every copy of season 3 that I've seen on the floor at Meijer stores have been tagged as "best of" sets as well.

depechemodeone 03-21-10 10:03 AM

I finally got all my TOS seasons, but I have had to get replacements for all 3. S1 -cracked case and loose discs. S2 -loose discs. S3 - shattered case (inside). Their packaging sucks. The CSR I spoke with said she had already gotten calls about it. My s1&s2 did not come with slipcovers.

Pookymeister 03-21-10 11:10 AM

Just saw my $50 RZ cert is pending as of today - so should be available before these go back up in price. Woohoo.

Manzana 03-21-10 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by depechemodeone (Post 10061291)
I finally got all my TOS seasons, but I have had to get replacements for all 3. S1 -cracked case and loose discs. S2 -loose discs. S3 - shattered case (inside). Their packaging sucks. The CSR I spoke with said she had already gotten calls about it. My s1&s2 did not come with slipcovers.

I ordered my 3 sets right when Bing Cashback got bumped from 10% to 5%. Last week when the 10% off coupon was active, I found a (rare) employee willing to give me 10% off sale prices. Of course that Best Buy only had 1 S1, no S2, and lots of S3 sets. So I got S1 and S3 figuring the 10% off $39.99 was better than 5% Bing Cashback with the plans to return the online orders. However, the in-store S1 had loose plastic inside and no slipcover, so I hoped what I got in the mail would be OK and have the slipcover. Instead, the S1 and S2 I just got in the mail had even more loose plastic inside and no slipcovers. All of my stores are still out of S1-S2, so I can't swap.

I'm not sure how it's going to work with the 30 day return window counting down and Best Buy so far incapable of providing me with unbroken S1-S2 sets. The one certainty is that Best Buy being out of stock of things I want so often is going to make this difficult for me. Paramount deserves to gets a mountain of these back and maybe they can learn how to make packaging that survives shipping.