Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Best Buy: Star Trek, The Original Series -- Any Season, $39.99 each + Free Shipping

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy: Star Trek, The Original Series -- Any Season, $39.99 each + Free Shipping

Old 03-01-10, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Best Buy: Star Trek, The Original Series -- Any Season, $39.99 each + Free Shippi

What a phenomenal price, I've been holding off on getting Season 3 since it was released. I think most places even have the DVD sets of these usually around $70.
Old 03-01-10, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Buy: Star Trek, The Original Series -- Any Season, $39.99 each + Free Shippi

The packaging for season 3 is slimmer than those for the other two seasons -- it's as wide as a single-disc Blu-ray case. Perhaps Paramount wants to sell out of the wider season 1 & 2 sets and re-release them in the slimmer style, hence the really cheap price?

In any case, picked up seasons 2 & 3 at my local Best Buy store. Have never seen some season 3 episodes so that's something to look forward to, even though I know a lot of season 3 is regarded as rather awful...
Old 03-01-10, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris-K
The packaging for season 3 is slimmer than those for the other two seasons -- it's as wide as a single-disc Blu-ray case. Perhaps Paramount wants to sell out of the wider season 1 & 2 sets and re-release them in the slimmer style, hence the really cheap price?

In any case, picked up seasons 2 & 3 at my local Best Buy store. Have never seen some season 3 episodes so that's something to look forward to, even though I know a lot of season 3 is regarded as rather awful...
Season 3 has 1 less disc, thus the slimmer case
Old 03-01-10, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Best Buy's cashback said 5% earlier today but when I received the notification from them after a purchase, they had credited me 10%
Old 03-02-10, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm. Still going to hold out. I realize this is Paramount, but the price on these sets has steadily declined. I'll hold out a little longer...
Old 03-02-10, 11:33 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Hmmm. Still going to hold out. I realize this is Paramount, but the price on these sets has steadily declined. I'll hold out a little longer...
I doubt it will be much cheaper than this. Star Trek is always priced at a premium.
Old 03-02-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm in. Just waiting for BCB to go back to 10%, though this is pretty promising regardless:

Originally Posted by Kory
Best Buy's cashback said 5% earlier today but when I received the notification from them after a purchase, they had credited me 10%
Old 03-02-10, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bit a couple of hours ago and only got 5% back. I'm more frosted that those SOBs auto-forfeited $125 in Rewards points at year-end cuz this purchase would've put me up to another $5 Reward. Jerks. I had a $5 coupon to burn anyway and made some extra cash, so it's a wash for me. Thanks for pointing out the deal, OP.
Old 03-02-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cgray
I'm in. Just waiting for BCB to go back to 10%, though this is pretty promising regardless:
Just keep in mind that the standard BCB for BB has been 2-3%. So it might drop further, not go back up... It was only 10% for a few days. It was 8% before that...
Old 03-02-10, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
I'm more frosted that those SOBs auto-forfeited $125 in Rewards points at year-end
Yeah, I got screwed by that, too. Only $100 for me though. I'm sure somebody out there somewhere had $249 and got screwed. The new rule sucks. Borders is the only other store I know of who clears out the points every year. TRU is even worse; they clear it out every 3 months!!!
Old 03-02-10, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Have you guys tried emailing Best Buy and complaining? Almost everyone who has done that got all of their forfeited points back.
Old 03-02-10, 03:01 PM

They forfeited $220 of mine, but I don't care. They forgot to cancel bing cashback on previous orders of mine, so it kind of cancels. I had a $40 RZ cert that expired soon to use for this, but otherwise I usually find it hard to find something cheap enough at BB compared to other places to make me want to spend the RZ certs in time.
Old 03-02-10, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kory
Have you guys tried emailing Best Buy and complaining? Almost everyone who has done that got all of their forfeited points back.
What Kory said. I had $192 (all racked up since the end of November) wiped out. I gave them a call and they gave me back 250 within a couple days.
Old 03-02-10, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just bit on this for Season 2 (which shows back ordered) and Season 3. I bought Season 1 when it came out. I signed up for a Bing Cash Back Account, but, I don't even know if the order ended up going through them, after all of the passwords I had to enter for Best Buy, Pay Pal, etc. I really hope it works. At any rate, I tried finding these at local Best Buy's, today. The one I usually go to had Season 2 listed in stock, but, when I got there, they didn't have any. Another store 45 minutes away had 1 Season 3 set, according to customer service, but, I didn't want to risk all the driving for it NOT to be there, so I decided to order online.

As far as all of those saying they lost their Reward Zone points, I guess I got lucky. I had received the original E-mail saying that they were going to be forfeited, but, then I got an E-mail saying that, because I had a Reward Zone Master Card, they would't be forfeited. So, I was happy that I didn't lose all my points!
Old 03-02-10, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 475 Likes on 349 Posts

Fry's has Season 3 on sale for $39.99 today as well (so I picked it up).

I've scored each season for that price. (I picked up season 1 last year from Amazon...)
Old 03-03-10, 12:19 AM

Amazon has raised season 2 back to $52, and it's also out of stock until 3/4.
Old 03-03-10, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't know how I missed this thread... except that work has kept me very busy lately. I finally made a little time to read the reviews, and it sounds like this is a good set although I still worry that Paramount will re-encode them even better, add the few missing extras from the previous sets, and then sell them all for less than $40 each. As Kirk once said "don't believe 'em, don't trust 'em" (I'm referring to the studios here, not Klingons). However, being the fool I am I ordered all 3 figuring that it's free shipping and I can always return them to the store within 30 days if I change my mind. So on day 31 watch someone else have them for $30 each, or Amazon will have them for $20 (or maybe $60 for the whole set) on Black Friday week... sort of like what happened with the James Bond 10 BD set for $60 that I passed on because I already owned 6 of the 10.

I am bummed that I missed 10% Bing CB and will only get 5% at BBY.com. I suppose I'll keep looking each night and if 10% returns, then I'll order again and return the first set I receive (I don't know if it's possible/easy to cancel a BBY.com order if it hasn't shipped? Probably easier just to return in-store. If they ask why... $6 in Bing I'll say). If BCB goes back to 10%, please post in this thread.
Old 03-03-10, 05:43 PM

Season Three is now being price matched at Amazon.
Old 03-04-10, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Adboy151
Season Three is now being price matched at Amazon.
Amazon doesn't have Bing CB, right? So the difference between Best Buy.com with 8% tax - 5% BCB now and Amazon with 0% tax and 0% BCB is 3%... $1.20.

I guess if you know you're going to keep it, Amazon is worth saving a buck, but I like being able to change my mind for 30 days and return it locally. Just wish it were 90 days at Best Buy (like Walmart and Target) in case a better deal pops up in the meantime.
Old 03-04-10, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know how tax works over the internet sometimes, but we DO have Best Buys in Colorado and I only paid $4.80 in tax for the $120 purchase (definitely not 8%). I imagine I did not have to pay local and/or county tax, and the $4.80 is just the state tax.

Anyway, I definitely saved money by going through BB rather than Amazon, even at 5% BCB.
Old 03-04-10, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

What a mess:

Bought S1 a year ago on HD DVD from Australia when the format was crashing. Paid US$59, which was an excellent deal at the time! Today, I just bought S2 BD from Best Buy, free shipping, 7% tax, 5% BCB = 40.79 net, and S3 BD from Amazon = 39.99.
Old 03-04-10, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't remember what I paid for my HD-DVD S1, but whatever it is, I'm satisfied with it. I don't plan on upgrading it to BD unless it is $25 or less... I'm not upgrading most of my HD-DVD's. I'm happy with them. There would have to be a huge difference in quality for me to want to upgrade...
Old 03-04-10, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got word that S2 and S3 shipped, but S1 is on backorder. Meh.
Old 03-05-10, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just received Seasons 2 & 3 in the mail today. Best Buy's packaging sucks ass, but they arrived in perfect shape and each with a slipcover.
Old 03-05-10, 02:46 PM

I got my season 2 and 3 yesterday. The factory seal sticker label on the case said "Best of Star Trek -volume 3" instead of "Star Trek Original Series - Season 3" like season 2 had. The slipcover and box are clearly for the complete season 3 though. Did everybody else get Season 3's with the same error?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.