Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Hollywood Video $6.99 used

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Hollywood Video $6.99 used

Old 03-05-10, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hollywood Video $6.99 used

I think the 25pv code worked when I was messing around with it last night. Now both sites are coming up "Service Unavailable". Looks like they've both crashed now.
Old 03-05-10, 12:58 PM

Is anyone getting email confirmations after placing an order? I place an order yesterday and today, and see them as "processing" when I look at my account, but cant click on them for details and received no automated order confirmation in my email.
Old 03-05-10, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So on 1 of my rare days at home, I checked HW Video's web site and for the first time they actually had some used BD titles I wanted. I added them to my cart, entered the 25pv code which worked, and then at the next step I got Service Unavailable. New windows and connections say the same thing so I guess their site is dead and who knows how long until the 1 employee they have for their .com web site for the entire world will come back from his extended lunch break (OK, just kidding... but sometimes I do wonder).

Obviously they aren't able to keep their web site properly. I think even if they were giving these away for free, it would not be worth the waste of time/trouble. I'll try a little longer, but if their web site doesn't start working and I don't get this order through soon, then I'll never try again. I bet it'll make me start from scratch.

The bottomline is this: obviously (and not surprisingly for a company I could never figure out how they stayed in business) their system is incapable of handling much of a load on those rare occasions they have good prices, so whenever there is a sale there are 2 possibilities: (1) the prices aren't good enough to bother and the web site will work fine or (2) the prices are good, the web site will not work properly, and/or everything will be gone by the time I can get to it. Either way I leave empty-handed, so I'm telling myself never to bother again with HW Video. They've already closed all of their B&M locations near me (nearest one is almost 10 miles away), so I might as well just pretend they don't exist any more.
Old 03-05-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana
So on 1 of my rare days at home, I checked HW Video's web site and for the first time they actually had some used BD titles I wanted. I added them to my cart, entered the 25pv code which worked, and then at the next step I got Service Unavailable. New windows and connections say the same thing so I guess their site is dead and who knows how long until the 1 employee they have for their .com web site for the entire world will come back from his extended lunch break (OK, just kidding... but sometimes I do wonder).

Obviously they aren't able to keep their web site properly. I think even if they were giving these away for free, it would not be worth the waste of time/trouble. I'll try a little longer, but if their web site doesn't start working and I don't get this order through soon, then I'll never try again. I bet it'll make me start from scratch.

The bottomline is this: obviously (and not surprisingly for a company I could never figure out how they stayed in business) their system is incapable of handling much of a load on those rare occasions they have good prices, so whenever there is a sale there are 2 possibilities: (1) the prices aren't good enough to bother and the web site will work fine or (2) the prices are good, the web site will not work properly, and/or everything will be gone by the time I can get to it. Either way I leave empty-handed, so I'm telling myself never to bother again with HW Video. They've already closed all of their B&M locations near me (nearest one is almost 10 miles away), so I might as well just pretend they don't exist any more.
Oh you will be back.

This place is like a bad girlfriend that you know you should kick to the curb but the benefits keep you hanging on.

Around $5.50 shipped for Blu-rays is just too tempting!

Since the site is hosed the movies "should" still be in your cart when they come back.
Old 03-05-10, 02:43 PM

I can't even get the page to work at all on any browser or computer.
Old 03-05-10, 03:11 PM

Yeah, I think the server blew up or something. On the upside, I received my third order today, all in BR cases and in great shape. All that's left is my order from last night.
Old 03-05-10, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana

As someone has pointed out "You Will Be Back )

The disks cost me $5.85 and why it has been a pain in my ass to order. I have found many many work arounds. I have posted them in here from time to time and even what I found out. Give these a try.

Fine the one you want. Right click it, order it move onto the checkout page, move to the page with the code.

Go back to the main page, if there is more then one page of Blu-Rays have two pages up.

Fine what you want, right click it and move to you do not see anymore.

Add each disk after this, again be very fast. Know what you want do not think about it.

Put in the code again and all the disks will come up. If its a hot or new title. Checkout fast do not give it any thoughts.

Wait after you hit each button. If you keep hitting it your going to get a error!

Once you have place the order make sure you hit the print invoice. Print it, this gives you the number. 3 of my disk (one at a time order) I was able to give them the number and they ship them.

Print and keep track.

Is there one person, no from what I seen there are 3 but no more then that. 1 Programmer ((GARY))that is over his head, but trying (the site need to be taken down fix then put back up)1 person doing the orders (shipping) ((BILL or BILLY)), another doing the emails/accounting ((Jason)). Is their server being overload. Yes, they are running it off a a DSL line, in their office. These people also run other sites but this is the only one where money is taken. Why this is just the business side of me talking and nothing to back it up. I think these 3 guys put in a bid to sell the extra stock. The people at HWV seen the other sites (BTW are nicely done) and gave them the green light. Again it went live to fast.

Someone posted the info on sites and when it goes live with new discs. They do it again. Again running a server on you DSL line is ok, if your not trying to sell or getting 10,000 people trying to get in at once (ok that number is high but still you get my point)

Oh run both IE & FF

You will never get to talk to them, HW will talk to you and if you really have a problem someone from HW will call you. HWV will and can see your order but will not help you.

I know I was all over the place on this email and at times my typing sucks. Take the time to read what I have posted. As of today I have order 51 discs (I had miss on in my AM posting)by doing this. Is it worth the time. Hmmm Ya I am home, I paid more in Dec 09 and had less to show for it (good movies, just not as many).

If it means anything my GF came over today with one disk I order for $5.85 ship paid $19.99 plus tax (I paid tax also).

Give them time and think of it as the Lotto you play it, pay your $$$ and you may or may not win. When I order the little dog movie (taco bell dog) its time to get me some help.

Q
Old 03-05-10, 03:50 PM

I got gi joe today and it's definitely not the 2 disk version advertised. It's a 1 disk version only a commentary as a special feature. Not an issue for me, but others will likely be bothered.

Also, bedtime stories doesn't come with the standard dvd either.
Old 03-05-10, 04:07 PM

I emailed customer service Re: GI Joe, and they claim they are sending a "proper" replacement.

Normally i wouldnt complain, but they are specifying distinct editions. B
Old 03-05-10, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Both HV and MG site is down atm.
Old 03-05-10, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by gatorclaws
I got gi joe today and it's definitely not the 2 disk version advertised. It's a 1 disk version only a commentary as a special feature. Not an issue for me, but others will likely be bothered.

Also, bedtime stories doesn't come with the standard dvd either.
The DVD in Bedtime stories is a issue with me. I do not care about the DC.
Old 03-05-10, 04:25 PM

I ordered the Race to Witch Mountain "3-disc" and got a single disc with no extras on it, but I'll frankly deal with it for the price. I just know not to go for those types of editions again.
Old 03-05-10, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mink-e
I ordered the Race to Witch Mountain "3-disc" and got a single disc with no extras on it, but I'll frankly deal with it for the price. I just know not to go for those types of editions again.
I got the same, but I will email them about it. Anyone know their email address? Can't access their site atm.
Old 03-05-10, 04:30 PM

I picked up Race as a blind buy. Maybe I'll e-mail them. Their address is [email protected]. Let me know what they say.
Old 03-05-10, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's working for me again, lots of new stuff up, 2+ pages, including Blade Runner.

Not sure I'd recommend it since it may not actually have all the discs included.

Have at it guys.

EDIT:

Well it was working.
Old 03-05-10, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I found out the hard way by buying at a B&M HWV (all sales final) that (500) Days of Summer and Taken are "Rental Exclusives" which in the case of (500) Days means no extras; Taken just loses the digital copy. It's another dirty trick studios use to force buyers into retail by leaving extras discs out of the Blockbuster versions of stuff like Hellboy II, despite the content being listed on the case.
Old 03-05-10, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L
It's working for me again, lots of new stuff up, 2+ pages, including Blade Runner.

Not sure I'd recommend it since it may not actually have all the discs included.

Have at it guys.

EDIT:

Well it was working.

The only discs that haven't been included with sets are Digital Copies and DVD's from combo packs
Old 03-05-10, 05:22 PM

I was able to get in and actually get an order for Blade Runner to go through. Now, I can take a more leisurely look through what's left. I think I'm done, though.
Old 03-05-10, 05:23 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Blade runner was really good with all discs. It just came in 2 cases with artwork trimmed though.
Old 03-05-10, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by sg86
The only discs that haven't been included with sets are Digital Copies and DVD's from combo packs

I was thinking about this, if they say its a 2 disk or 3 disk set you should get it. I was talking to a lawyer today (not about this, work) and asked him about it. If they say it, you buy it on their work or printed ad, if its not all there. You have a right to a refund. Would I do it, if it was just the movie along and I did not know this. Yes.
Old 03-05-10, 05:26 PM

I can deal with that. Again, 5 discs for $5.74 with tax? What am I going to complain about?
Old 03-05-10, 05:29 PM

Thanks to drq2 for his tips. I actually got a good order to go through for once.
Old 03-05-10, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by gatorclaws
The problem with GI JOE is that the second disc is a DVD with bonus features on it that also contains the digital copy....it is not just the usual worthless DC disc that doesn't have anything else on it but the DC....
Old 03-05-10, 05:55 PM

When the sites finally started working again, I tried to order on both HW video and Movie Gallery's sites in Firefox and the latest IE on 2 different computers. No matter what I do, the 25% discount always disappears when I hit the Checkout button, so I give up.

drg2, I'm not sure what you mean by "move to the page with the code". All I know is that I put 25PV and it shows up until I hit Checkout, then it always disappears.
Old 03-05-10, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by WMAangel
The problem with GI JOE is that the second disc is a DVD with bonus features on it that also contains the digital copy....it is not just the usual worthless DC disc that doesn't have anything else on it but the DC....
I'll add that the gi joe I got makes no reference to a second disc on the packaging like the retail copy. It's purely a rental version that was only meant to have 1 disc.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.