Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Weekly Ad: January 31 - February 6, 2010

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Buy Weekly Ad: January 31 - February 6, 2010

Well, my Zombieland story (since everybody else seems to share theirs) goes like this - ordered it for in-store pickup Tuesday at 8am hoping that they would pull the nut up, but I never received a ready for pickup email after the order confirmation. So, I went there today hoping that my order did go through. Once in the store I see no display and none on the shelves. However, they bring me out the nut up edition at order pickup. So, I ask the guy about the lack of extra copies and he told
me they got about 70 copies (about half regular edition) and they were all gone by noon on Tuesday. In fact there were 6 people on the waiting list in case some people didn't pick up their copies!
Old 02-04-10, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

There were 2 copies left at my local BB yesterday around 11:30am when I got there. Both were the NUOSU Edition.

For those that just have to have a copy, there's a few ppl on ebay selling theirs for $50+ shipping.
Old 02-04-10, 09:44 PM

Anyone think BB will get any more in in the coming weeks? I kind of doubt it....seems like they had fewer of the special bonus disc blu ray versions than normal?

For those with the bonus disc -- how good are the features? What's on it?
Old 02-04-10, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm pretty much done looking, but I'm not opening my copy until I'm ready to watch it... just in case.*

* I have a few people on the lookout for me should they stop by a Best Buy.
Old 02-04-10, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I reviewed the Nut Up or Shut Up BD: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/42091...buy-exclusive/
Old 02-05-10, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Much to my surprise, when I went to BB today to pick up Zombieland, the one waiting for me at the counter was the Nut Up or Shut Up edition. Note: there were no blu-rays of any type to be found on the sales floor though. I guess I got lucky. Of course, calling in and asking them about it did no good, because they told me it didn't exist.
Old 02-05-10, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a feeling that a lot of stores pulled all the "Nut Up" versions for in-store pick-ups.
Old 02-05-10, 05:53 PM

I had to return a bad disc today to the BB I frequent the most and they had 10 copies of the NUOSU Blu-rays mixed in with the reg Blu-rays. Alot of the standard DVD as well but no NUOSU editions.
Old 02-05-10, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by taco5
I had to return a bad disc today to the BB I frequent the most and they had 10 copies of the NUOSU Blu-rays mixed in with the reg Blu-rays. Alot of the standard DVD as well but no NUOSU editions.
Did you notice if those copies were there earlier in the week? I'm still holding off in the event stores get restocked.
Old 02-05-10, 06:08 PM

I went back today (got the regular Blu-ray on Tuesday) to see if any Nut Ups were there and there wasn't a Blu-ray of any type to be found.
Old 02-05-10, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by BravesMG
Did you notice if those copies were there earlier in the week? I'm still holding off in the event stores get restocked.
Hard to say. My BB never really has the big displays like some stores do for their new releases. The ones I saw today were mixed in with the regular "ZLAND" BDs in the same place they were on Tuesday.
Old 02-05-10, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So glad I didn't blind-buy Zombieland at best Buy this week. I just watched the movie. It was decent, but not worth owning.
Old 02-06-10, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
So glad I didn't blind-buy Zombieland at best Buy this week. I just watched the movie. It was decent, but not worth owning.
and this is relevant in a bargains thread how?
Old 02-06-10, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I paid to see it in the theater, and still thought it was worth owning... Sure, it could have been better, but it's still a great zombie flick...
Old 02-06-10, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought it was great, one of the best films last year. I was hoping my BB might restock this but no luck.
Old 02-06-10, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by philip74
and this is relevant in a bargains thread how?
Same reason its relevant to mention that no one can find the Nut Up version. This thread has become all about finding or buying Zombieland.
Old 02-06-10, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Same reason its relevant to mention that no one can find the Nut Up version. This thread has become all about finding or buying Zombieland.
And that is relevant. Especially for those that are looking for Zombieland.
Old 02-06-10, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, but thats not what you wrote. you just mentioned that you watched
the movie and that its not worth owning.
personal tastes aside, but i don`t think any opinion about a movie should
go in a bargain thread. if you absolutely must share your opinion about
zombieland, i am sure there is an appropriate movie thread to post it
Old 02-06-10, 04:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

^ Eh, I don't think an occasional off-topic short post slamming a movie is bothersome. If the same poster did it multiple times in the same thread, or in every thread on the board maybe, but it's natural to voice opinions.

Yes, this is a 'bargain' thread, but it is also part of a community where our main focus is on helping each other. If I'm in a thread that's partially about finding Zombieland, and one or more posters give quick comments on how they liked or didn't like the movie, I'm thankful for their posts. It provides me information to make a more informed decision. If I already made my decision and don't need their input, it takes me less than a second to ignore their opinions. So even 30 off-topic short comments in a bargain thread about a movie sucking wouldn't bother me one bit.

Off topic: I found Zombieland very overrated, but still marginally worth owning someday.
Old 02-06-10, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If someone else in this thread hunting for Zombieland sees Snowmaker's post, they might reconsider and rent it instead, and have the same experience Snowmaker did. This is how the two cents might be useful. And he put it that way, too: "I rented this and didn't think it was worth owning" and not "You guys are idiots, you're wasting your money, this movie blows."
Old 02-06-10, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But there are those, like myself, that will hold the movie in their hands and, having never seen it, wonder if its worth a blind buy. I was merely pointing out that those people may want to rent it first. I figure that info is just as helpful as someone mentioning what stores don't have it in stock.

I was not slamming the movie. It was decent, but not something I'd buy personally.

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
If someone else in this thread hunting for Zombieland sees Snowmaker's post, they might reconsider and rent it instead, and have the same experience Snowmaker did. This is how the two cents might be useful. And he put it that way, too: "I rented this and didn't think it was worth owning" and not "You guys are idiots, you're wasting your money, this movie blows."
Yeah, what he said.
Old 02-06-10, 08:08 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
^ Eh, I don't think an occasional off-topic short post slamming a movie is bothersome. If the same poster did it multiple times in the same thread, or in every thread on the board maybe, but it's natural to voice opinions.

Yes, this is a 'bargain' thread, but it is also part of a community where our main focus is on helping each other. If I'm in a thread that's partially about finding Zombieland, and one or more posters give quick comments on how they liked or didn't like the movie, I'm thankful for their posts. It provides me information to make a more informed decision. If I already made my decision and don't need their input, it takes me less than a second to ignore their opinions. So even 30 off-topic short comments in a bargain thread about a movie sucking wouldn't bother me one bit.

Off topic: I found Zombieland very overrated, but still marginally worth owning someday.
Second that emotion!

I haven't seen Zombieland myself but having this info let's me know I can hold off 'till the $10 price point.

The DVD Talk community is helpful in this respect, unlike other forums *cough*Hi-def-indigestion*cough* where there is an air of elitism. I no longer go or post there for this very reason, they frown upon any post longer than one sentence because members who get email alerts to the bargain threads supposedly don't want to read anything (especially opinions) unless it was related to a newly found bargain. I say screw that and screw them. They are entitled to regulate their forum the way they choose to, that being said this is why DVDtalk kick's so much ass!
Old 02-06-10, 08:42 PM

Time to Nut-Up!
Now that I've gone Blu, I rent all most everything. (I've got a lot of DVD's that I never re-watch.)

Anyway I give Zombieland a strong rental.
Old 02-06-10, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Slightly back on topic...

I stopped by another BB on the way home from my Mom's tonight (the Harlem/Irving Plaza for my Chicagoean DVDTalkers) and they only had 4 Blus and a ton of DVDs... NO "Nut Up" in either format.

I got this response in my Inbox from Best Buy Consumer Relations when I got home:
Jeff,

I do apologize for the difficulty you are having locating the special edition Zombieland. Unfortunately, this is a product with limited supply and if these discs are no longer available, I do not know where you can find one to purchase.

I will be opening a case for investigation to share with our buyers regarding the shortage and availability issues of this blu-ray.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I do apologize for not being able to locate this Blu-Ray disc for you.

Sincerely,
Stacey
Best Buy Consumer Relations
Meh, pretty much the answer I was expecting.
Old 02-06-10, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I would agree for the most part. Maybe if it was in response to someone debating the purchase based on the price, but in general there's plenty of discussion in the movie or review threads for that sort of thing. Especially given Zombieland was a big success and there have been plenty of talk if someone was looking for reviews.

I usually just skim over the comments since they don't really bother me, but I can understand the complaint. If I posted every week to not buy a new release, it would get old fast.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.