Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

best price on Zulu Blu Ray?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-13, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: best price on Zulu Blu Ray?

I bought the Dvd release back in the early 2000's but it was the only release available and it had WIDESCREEN on the cover...A few years later I bought the MGM Dvd release and it was so much better.
Old 03-14-13, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
lesson learned. I still need to let Amazon know that they need to pull this product. especially with this copied UPC bit
Definitely let Amazon know and post a review on there.
Old 03-15-13, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Definitely let Amazon know and post a review on there.
Just posted a review and notified Amazon of the spotty quality of the product.
Old 03-15-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Inspired-Studios (aka Inspired Corporation), based out of New Jersey, I believe. This is just a company that pays pennies on the dollar to get the rights to make videos (most of them are exercise and kid's videos), and I'm somewhat insulted that Zulu managed to get this company releasing it. This release took somebody maybe a half-hour to make (including cover), and they sure were not going to pay to put the overseas high-quality version on a BD-50, as it probably cost them another 50-cents. They probably have a ton of BD-25's lying around, so anyone purchasing from this company should beware of ANY future Blu-ray releases from this crap-inspired company, as they will ALL be BD-25's and the video will be processed accordingly.
To be fair, the legitimate Zulu release from the UK is also from an HD transfer that has been completely stripped of high-frequency content. It's the main complaint about it, the clean print quality is a result of zealous DNR usage.

I also believe that the mono soundtrack is the original for Zulu. The UK disc does have exemplary compression standards from Paramount.
Old 03-15-13, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
To be fair, the legitimate Zulu release from the UK is also from an HD transfer that has been completely stripped of high-frequency content. It's the main complaint about it, the clean print quality is a result of zealous DNR usage.

I also believe that the mono soundtrack is the original for Zulu. The UK disc does have exemplary compression standards from Paramount.
This is good to know since I did not have the R2 release to compare against. My observation was strictly based on my experience with HD content and flaws that I have grown accustomed to spot. With all things being the same, I still don't know how legit this R1 release is given that the disc does not even sport chapter stops.
Old 03-15-13, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Over at Blu-Ray.com there's a thread with screen caps and discussion of the two discs. Here's the link.
Old 03-15-13, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
and so here is the report from giving the disc I received this afternoon a spin - this is the R1 disc that's on sale at Amazon fulfilled by a marketplace seller called Oceanbreeze Video or something like that.

General observations:
1. The cover is a cheaply printed artwork that betrays a bootleg right away
2. Its a single layer region free disc (says Region 0) released by a company called Inspired Pictures
3. the UPC Code is 007108370011
4. the artwork on the disc too is cheap and screams knockoff
5. the playing side of the disc is a professionally pressed disc, not a DVD-R

Disc:
1. opens with a FBI warning that means nothing
2. immediately followed by a 'Inspired Pictures' animation with sound following which the feature begins
3. chapter stops don't exist - pressing next or previous chapters during playback present a 'cannot operate during playback' message on my Sony BDPS570 BD player
4. There is no disc menu. Hitting the disc menu on the player's remote takes you back to the FBI warning message from where you sit through the whole shit again
5. There are no subtitles
6. There are no extras

Video quality:
1. the PQ is remarkably free of blemishes/scratches etc - does that make it a standout ? read on
2. resolution is at best upconverted DVD and little else, explains the single layer BD. This is no 1080p presentation and nowhere on the artcover or disc does it mention 1080p resolution.
3. image on the screen appears to be digitally scrubbed to oblivion - the colors and contrast pop but there are no details on faces - as they appear waxy

Audio Quality:
1. No 5.1 or any other surround sound
2. Sound is limited to a limp mono English track that is sourced into the center channel.
3. The sound is clear but not remarkable

Verdict:
Avoid big time. I can't tell if its a bootleg. But no studio will produce a disc like this shorn of all the above mentioned features. Am still deciding if I should return it (on principle of not owning inferior discs and/or bootleg) or just swallow the cost and learn a lesson.
Wow, thank you for taking one for the team. I guess I'll just stay happy with my DVD.
Old 03-15-13, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by mugwump
Over at Blu-Ray.com there's a thread with screen caps and discussion of the two discs. Here's the link.
thx, mugwump. I stand validated on several of of my independent observations then. I will keep the US release as the price is ok and that the UK version does not seem to fare any better on the feature itself.
Old 03-15-13, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Wow, thank you for taking one for the team. I guess I'll just stay happy with my DVD.
you are welcome, DeputyDave. Had some credits to burn, hence the pinch of the wallet is minimum. But definitely stay away as this is NO BD but an up-res'ed DVD
Old 04-02-13, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

i have the uk blu-ray of Zulu. I watched it once, liked it, but don't plan on watching again. so it's just taking up space. I'm down for trading it for a blu ray or two that i would get more use of.

PM me your trade thread link if interested.

haven't traded in years but was +8 on the good traders list.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/archive/t-347015.html

sorry if this is inappropriate, but i feel no need to make a new trading post for just one title.