Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Target $10 Blu-Rays in Back of Store?

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Target $10 Blu-Rays in Back of Store?

Old 01-18-10, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Target $10 Blu-Rays in Back of Store?

Originally Posted by Adboy151
Most Targets appear to be doing a BD reset this month; cycling out titles and, if your local stores haven't already, placing all BDs in individual plastic prisons -- i.e. security cases.
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I noticed this with new releases, but not catalog (yet). They have been putting random DVD TV shows in them as well.
My stores did this months ago. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get a mint slipcase out of those damn plastic shells. They usually fuck em up putting them in the case, otherwise they surely will when taking it out...

I've seen them do this to expensive BD TV seasons, but I haven't seen them do it SD TV shows...
Old 01-18-10, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My two closest targets have already changed the seasonal sections where these BD's were, gone too soon..
Old 01-18-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Moopher
My two closest targets have already changed the seasonal sections where these BD's were, gone too soon..
Really? I better go back there today. There was still one more title I wanted to buy from that area so I can use my Lionsgate coupon...
Old 01-18-10, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adboy151
Most Targets appear to be doing a BD reset this month; cycling out titles and, if your local stores haven't already, placing all BDs in individual plastic prisons -- i.e. security cases.
LOL - plastic prisons...I agree that these things screw up the cases - especially the slipcovers.

Why does Target even use these stupid things? Every Blu-ray I open has 1 or 2 of those stupid black tabs and/or white square stickers which I assume are anti-theft devices. Why can't target simply use these?
Old 01-18-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

/\ It's to deter someone from stealing the actual disc. Most theives will just crack open the side of a DVD/BR case and remove the disc, so all the security tabs in the world make no difference.

If your Target is using the Plastic Prisons, it's probably pretty likely that they have a high theft rate.
Old 01-18-10, 05:18 PM

I got Rising Sun, Ninth Gate, Broken Arrow, The Proposition, Risky Business, and Serenity for $27. My friend cashed me out and I accidentally handed him 7 of the $5 coupons and they all went through. I also used a $3 lionsgate coupon on Ninth Gate, so i got that one for $2. I basically got all the rest for $5 because Serenity was $15 and since I used the extra coupon it brought it down to $5. Oh and my gf works there so I also got 10% discount.
Old 01-18-10, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bayoozen
I got Rising Sun, Ninth Gate, Broken Arrow, The Proposition, Risky Business, and Serenity for $27. My friend cashed me out and I accidentally handed him 7 of the $5 coupons and they all went through. I also used a $3 lionsgate coupon on Ninth Gate, so i got that one for $2. I basically got all the rest for $5 because Serenity was $15 and since I used the extra coupon it brought it down to $5. Oh and my gf works there so I also got 10% discount.
I hope your friend doesn't get fired for taking 7 expired coupons at once. I probably wouldn't have done that to a friend, just in case...
Old 01-18-10, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Targets in my area have created a new DVD area in the back of the store where the Christmas stuff was (their newly expanded "bulk area".) [/IMG][/URL]

I bet their loss prevention department loves them.....
Old 01-19-10, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
/\ It's to deter someone from stealing the actual disc. Most theives will just crack open the side of a DVD/BR case and remove the disc, so all the security tabs in the world make no difference.

If your Target is using the Plastic Prisons, it's probably pretty likely that they have a high theft rate.
I've always wondered how retailers rationalize the expense and trouble to themselves (not to mention the aggravation to customers) over these sort of pointless precautions. It has been well known and documented for decades that the vast majority of retail theft is due to light-fingered employees and not shoplifters.
Old 01-19-10, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So far I've gotten Me, Myself, and Irene, Napoleon Dynamite, The Getaway (1972), Reservoir Dogs and Basic Instinct. I've considered Mongol and Total Recall, but put them back. Should I get them or any of the others? As a principle I stay away from barebones.
Old 01-19-10, 03:10 PM

Where is this Lionsgate coupon? Is it printable??
Old 01-19-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jayceman
Where is this Lionsgate coupon? Is it printable??
No. It is one of the random Target coupons that print from the register.
Old 01-19-10, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lemmy

As for the "plastic prisons", they will be there until Blu-ray is as inexpensive as the Wal-Mart dump bins. I used to catch 2 or 3 thieves a week attempting to make off with stacks of Blu-rays...until the plastic cases. I no longer work there (greener pastures, etc), but staff there tell me that Blu-theft is down 70% since the introduction of the cases.
TWICE I went home and had the BD still in the plastic case. I beeped on the way out, but they said go ahead, assuming the security tag on the BD wasn't deactivated. I was buying so many items, I never saw if they took the BD out of the case. I debated trying to break it open at home, but both times decided to go back to the store so they could be released from prison... I understand the reason for the cases, but I HATE THEM. (totally f'd up slipcases being the #1 reason)
Old 01-20-10, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lemmy
I used to catch 2 or 3 thieves a week attempting to make off with stacks of Blu-rays...until the plastic cases.
I don't understand - you mean people take a stack of Blu-Rays and just waltz out the door with them? That's crazy.
Old 01-20-10, 06:19 PM

Picked up "The Getaway" and "The Pelican Brief" for $5 each today, and "The Fast and the Furious" for $10.
Old 01-20-10, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
Good job overcoming that pesky conscience!
Lots of misplaced halos regarding these coupons. Hello? The law states that there is NOTHING illegal about using an expired coupon if the store still accepts it. Go and check the rest of your conscience, I'm sure you'll find more pesky things worth losing sleep over than saving $5 on a DVD.
Old 01-20-10, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Got to use the coupon to pick up Reservoir Dogs for $5 today... will try it again on The Omen later this week
Old 01-23-10, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The discussion of using expired coupons ends here, now.

Next person to bring it up gets a suspension.
Old 01-24-10, 07:56 PM

Anyone in the Los Angeles area seen these displays?
Old 01-24-10, 09:15 PM
Cool New Member

Finally saw a shelf tag saying $10 temp price cut for the $12 discs until mid-feb if I remember correctly. Also my closest Target actually expanded their special bulk section where these are at so keep checking if you haven't come across them yet.
Old 01-24-10, 09:54 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by dead000
Anyone in the Los Angeles area seen these displays?
Nope! I was just at the Manhattan Beach Target last night too.
Old 01-25-10, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by turnondafun
Nope! I was just at the Manhattan Beach Target last night too.
I've checked 5 Target stores in my area (Sherman Oaks) and nothing. Hopefully we'll see it soon.
Old 01-25-10, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI, Target now has Robocop for $12.99. I didn't notice if it was on sale for this week only, or a Temporary Price Cut which could last several weeks... Someone also mentioned in another thread that This Is Spiral Tap is on sale for $14.99. I saw that as well...
Old 01-25-10, 04:52 PM

Well, 'that-which-shall-not-be-discussed' just officially scanned as "coupon expired" for me. Appears to finally be officially dead. Bummer, there were two more $10 titles I wanted to buy.
Old 01-25-10, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pilot
The discussion of using expired coupons ends here, now.
Next person to bring it up gets a suspension.
Originally Posted by Kory
Well, 'that-which-shall-not-be-discussed' just officially scanned as "coupon expired" for me. Appears to finally be officially dead. Bummer, there were two more $10 titles I wanted to buy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.