DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection-6 Movies (7 Disks) $60 - Amazon (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/566889-star-trek-original-motion-picture-collection-6-movies-7-disks-%2460-amazon.html)

Nifty03 12-23-09 06:46 AM

Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection-6 Movies (7 Disks) $60 - Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...sbargaicenter/

Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection (The Motion Picture / The Wrath of Khan / The Search for Spock / The Voyage Home / The Final Frontier / The ... Captains Summit Bonus Disc) [Blu-ray]

Product Description
Prepare to boldly go where no man has gone before with the Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection, an action-packed box set featuring the six films in their original theatrical versions starring the U.S.S. Enterprise's legendary crew. The films have been digitally remastered and The Wrath of Khan has been fully restored in high definition with brilliant picture quality and 7.1 Dolby TrueHD.

INCLUDES SIX THEATRICAL FILMS PLUS A 7TH BONUS DISC
· Star Trek: The Motion Picture
· Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
· Star Trek III: The Search For Spock
· Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
· Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
· Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
· The Captains' Summit Bonus Disc

STAR TREK: THE CAPTAINS' SUMMIT
For the first time in Star Trek history, five of the final frontier’s greatest names have been brought together for a 70-minute rare and unprecedented round table event. Filmed exclusively for Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection, William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes and host Whoopi Goldberg share candid insights, humorous moments, and intimate details about life on the set, working with each other and how Star Trek has affected their lives. Presented in HD.

OVER 2 1/2 HOURS OF ALL-NEW SPECIAL FEATURES PLUS OVER
12 HOURS OF PREVIOUSLY RELEASED CONTENT

PLUS INTERACTIVE CONTENT EXCLUSIVE TO BLU-RAY
LIBRARY COMPUTER: Interactive playback mode displays information on the characters, ships and planets that appear on-screen.
STAR TREK IQ (BD-LIVE): Test your Star Trek I.Q. with custom trivia games.

Special Features
Star Trek: The Motion Picture

* Audio commentary: Michael & Denise Okuda, Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens and Daren Dochterman
* Featurettes (HD): "The Longest Trek: Writing the Motion Picture," "Special Star Trek Reunion," "Starfleet Academy: The Mystery Behind V'ger"
* Deleted Scenes
* Storyboards
* Theatrical Trailers
* TV Spots

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

* Audio commentaries: director Nicholas Meyer / Nicholas Meyer and Manny Coto
* Featurettes (HD): "James Horner: Composing Genesis," "A Tribute to Ricardo Montalban," "Collecting Star Trek's Movie Relics," "Starfleet Academy: The Mystery Behind Ceti Alpha VI"
* Featurettes (SD): "Captain's Log," "Designing Khan," "Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Visual Effects of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan," "The Star Trek Universe: A Novel Approach"
* Interviews
* Storyboards
* Theatrical Trailers

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

* Audio commentaries: Director Leonard Nimoy, writer/producer Harve Bennett, director of photography Charles Correll and Robin Curtis / Ronald D. Moore and Michael Taylor
* Featurettes (HD): "Industrial Light & Magic: The Visual Effects of Star Trek," "Spock: The Early Years and Star Trek," "Science Fiction Museum Hall of Fame"
* Featurettes (SD): "Captain's Log," "Space Docks and Birds of Prey," "Speaking Klingon," "Klingon and Vulcan Costumes," "Terraforming and the Prime Directive," "Starfleet Academy: The Mystery Behind the Vulcan Katra Transfer"
* Still Galleries
* Storyboards
* Theatrical Trailers

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

* Audio commentaries: William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy / Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman
* Featurettes (HD): "Pavel Chekov's Screen Moments," "The Three-Picture Saga," "Star Trek for a Cause," "Starfleet Academy: The Whale Probe"
* Featurettes (SD): "Time Travel: The Art of the Possible," "The Language of Whales," "A Vulcan Primer, Kirk's Women," "Future's Past: A Look Back," "On Location," "Dailies Deconstruction," "Below-the-Line: Sound Design," "From Outer Space to the Ocean," "The Bird of Prey," "Roddenberry Scrapbook," "Featured Artist: Mark Lenard"
* Interviews
* Still Galleries
* Storyboards
* Theatrical Trailers

Star Trek V: The Final Frontierp>

* Audio commentaries: William Shatner and Liz Shatner / Michael & Denise Okuda and Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens and Daren Dochterman
* Featurettes (HD): "Star Trek Honors NASA," "Hollywood Walk of Fame: James Doohan," "Starfleet Academy: Nimbus III"
* Featurettes (SD): "Herman Zimmerman: A Tribute," "Original Interview: William Shatner," "Cosmic Thoughts," "That Klingon Couple," "A Green Future?," "Harve Bennett's Pitch to the Sales Team," "The Journey: A Behind-the-Scenes Documentary," "Makeup Tests," "Pre-Visualization Models," "Rock Man in the Raw," "Star Trek V Press Conference"
* Deleted Scenes
* Still Gallery
* Storyboards
* Theatrical Trailers
* TV Spots

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

* Audio commentaries: Director Nicholas Meyer and screenwriter Denny Martin Flinn / Larry Nemecek and Ira Steven Behr
* Featurettes (HD): "Tom Morga: Alien Stuntman," "To Be or Not to Be: Klingons," "Shakespeare and Starfleet Academy: Praxis"
* Featurettes (SD): "Conversations with Nicholas Meyer," "Klingons: Conjuring the Legend," "Federation Operatives," "Penny's Toy Box," "Together Again," "The Perils of Peacemaking," "DeForest Kelley: A Tribute," "Original Cast Interviews"
* 6-Part Documentary (SD): "Stories from Star Trek VI"
* Convention Footage
* Still Gallery
* Storyboards
* Theatrical Trailers

HD Exclusive Content:

* Library Computer Access
* Star Trek IQ (BD-Live)

GoldenWheels 12-23-09 09:20 AM

Re: Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection-6 Movies (7 Disks) $60 - Amazon

Good deal...kind of makes me wish I hadn't picked up the four even numbered ones on BF.

Oh well, I got the ones I like anyway. Still, very nice set.

naitram 12-23-09 10:05 AM

Re: Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection-6 Movies (7 Disks) $60 - Amazon

Very tempting at that price. The exclusion of the Director's Cut of TMP and the questionable (in my opinion) color issues on Wrath of Khan have kept me from getting this so far. I may crack yet though...

thejester 12-23-09 11:53 AM

Isn't this the set w/transfer quality problems? Except for "Wrath of Khan", all others aren't to "Blu" quality?

b2net 12-23-09 03:17 PM

yep

Josh-da-man 12-23-09 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by naitram (Post 9904877)
Very tempting at that price. The exclusion of the Director's Cut of TMP

Unless I'm mistaken, the DC from the DVD was made in 480p, so the DC does not exist in HD.

Evan Meadow 12-23-09 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 9905653)
Unless I'm mistaken, the DC from the DVD was made in 480p, so the DC does not exist in HD.

You're correct. They're currently working on getting the DC into the proper specifications so it will be on BR I think at some point in 2010.

With all the extras that pertain to it as well.

What I've never been able to figure out is what stuff did Nicholas Meyer do differently on the original DVD release of Undiscovered Country that they didn't put on to the BR?

The DVD says it has 2 different scenes on it and the BR says "Finally the movie's back in its original format".

josepotato 12-23-09 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow (Post 9905665)
The DVD says it has 2 different scenes on it and the BR says "Finally the movie's back in its original format".

The AR of the SE DVD was almost 1.85:1, the Blu-ray has the Theatrical 2.35:1 ratio.

Josh-da-man 12-23-09 09:42 PM

You're correct. They're currently working on getting the DC into the proper specifications so it will be on BR I think at some point in 2010.

What I've never been able to figure out is what stuff did Nicholas Meyer do differently on the original DVD release of Undiscovered Country that they didn't put on to the BR?

This is the first time the movie has been released to home video in its original theatrical version.

The theatrical aspect ratio was 2.35:1 (Super-35) and all previous versions have been in a modified aspect ratio, either 1.33:1 "fullscreen" or widescreen releases opened up to about 1.85:1 or so.

Also, all previous home video releases have added in new scenes, most notably a couple of scenes involving Colonel West:

Spoiler:
There's a scene in the Federation President's office that is extended and includes a briefing by Colonel West (played by DS9's Rene Auberjonois), and a scene later in the movie where the Klingon assassin is unmasked and is Colonel West. I think there's also another added scene where Spock and Scotty are inspecting torpedoes aboard the Enterprise.

Evan Meadow 12-24-09 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 9906148)
This is the first time the movie has been released to home video in its original theatrical version.

The theatrical aspect ratio was 2.35:1 (Super-35) and all previous versions have been in a modified aspect ratio, either 1.33:1 "fullscreen" or widescreen releases opened up to about 1.85:1 or so.

Also, all previous home video releases have added in new scenes, most notably a couple of scenes involving Colonel West:

Spoiler:
There's a scene in the Federation President's office that is extended and includes a briefing by Colonel West (played by DS9's Rene Auberjonois), and a scene later in the movie where the Klingon assassin is unmasked and is Colonel West. I think there's also another added scene where Spock and Scotty are inspecting torpedoes aboard the Enterprise.

Oh that stuff. Yeah I remember seeing it when they'd air the movie on TV.

naitram 12-24-09 09:25 AM

is there a source for that? I'll definitely wait if that's true.

b2net 12-24-09 11:02 AM

I bet at some point in the future... undetermined, of course... that we will see all the movies in their "special" editions, maybe even be able to pick verions.. on blu-ray.. that is of course if the special effects don't need too much updating to be able to be in 1080p... hence the reason I am waiting...

davidh777 12-24-09 11:30 AM

Ugh, there always has to be a catch. Khan was the only one I got on BF and I guess I'll be waiting on the others too. Maybe if I'd gotten First Contact instead...

AZA77 12-24-09 01:33 PM

b2net,

Just a helpful FYI when speaking about HD blu rays and how films relate to them. If a film has been shown theatrically and shot on 35mm film...all the content that has gone into that film including all special effects shots are already way higher in resolution that High Definition.

HD is in no way shape or form higher resolution that the starting image on 35mm.

HD is just a term used for "higher resolution" television.

All the Star Trek FX are already higher in resolution than a blu ray. That doesnt mean however that they can't go back in and clean up the matte lines and or enhance certain issues that were inherent to the optical compositing of time.

But remember that if it was good enough to projected in giant screen theatres...its most likely good enough for your HD tv.

:)

WMAangel 12-24-09 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by AZA77 (Post 9907082)
All the Star Trek FX are already higher in resolution than a blu ray.

Sorry, but that is incorrect....the new special effects work done for the Director's Edition of "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" was only done in 480p standard definition for the DVD....the CGI needs to be redone in 1080p before that version of the film will be released onto Blu-ray Disc....

b2net 12-24-09 04:04 PM

There are various reasons why these do or don't have the extra footage or special features. The 480p thing from Star Trek TMP is only one reason. In addition, from the reviews I've seen, the only of the original crew which is great in Blu is Khan... so.....

I am awaiting the release that contains all of them with all the special features and all the various versions of the films.. This is what I found...

* They have the special features from the collector's / director's editions..
* The DO NOT have the special features from the collector's / director's editions..
* They ARE the collector's / director's editions...
* They ARE NOT the collector's / director's editions

I know that seems like discrepancy but I did found these reviews that seemed spot on... including what is NOT on these discs... so I passed..

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2458/startrek1_tmp.html

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2460/startrek2_wok.html

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2464...ek3_spock.html

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2467...oyagehome.html

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2468...lfrontier.html

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2469...edcountry.html

Trevor 12-24-09 04:23 PM

I decided I didn't care if a few minor extras are missing, or if there are a couple alternate cuts. If I must see those I have my $5 DVDs.

The chances of them releasing a truly definitive set in the future are low, imo, there will always be something missing, or an A/V quibble.

AZA77 12-25-09 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by WMAangel (Post 9907176)
Sorry, but that is incorrect....the new special effects work done for the Director's Edition of "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" was only done in 480p standard definition for the DVD....the CGI needs to be redone in 1080p before that version of the film will be released onto Blu-ray Disc....

Yes, and that is why if you read my post carefully you would have seen this sentence.

"If a film has been shown theatrically and shot on 35mm film...all the content that has gone into that film including all special effects shots are already way higher in resolution that High Definition."

Star Trek the motion picture was never shown theatrically in it's new form.

Evan Meadow 12-25-09 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by b2net (Post 9907251)
There are various reasons why these do or don't have the extra footage or special features. The 480p thing from Star Trek TMP is only one reason. In addition, from the reviews I've seen, the only of the original crew which is great in Blu is Khan... so.....

I am awaiting the release that contains all of them with all the special features and all the various versions of the films.. This is what I found...

* They have the special features from the collector's / director's editions..
* The DO NOT have the special features from the collector's / director's editions..
* They ARE the collector's / director's editions...
* They ARE NOT the collector's / director's editions

I know that seems like discrepancy but I did found these reviews that seemed spot on... including what is NOT on these discs... so I passed..

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2458/startrek1_tmp.html

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2460/startrek2_wok.html

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2464...ek3_spock.html

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2467...oyagehome.html

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2468...lfrontier.html

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2469...edcountry.html

Those reviews all the said the same thing:

With the exception of the Director's Cut of the first one, which when out on BR will have all of the pertaining extras included with it, the set carried over EVERY extra that was on the original 2 disc sets. Including a different way to use the Okuda text commentary.

As for the various cuts of the film? It sounds to me like all that stuff is still in the deleted scenes sections. Just not spliced into the film itself.

b2net 12-25-09 07:30 AM

Another big concern was the reviewers comments on the picture quality. From their perspective the everything after Khan had some deficiency.

Evan Meadow 12-26-09 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by b2net (Post 9907795)
Another big concern was the reviewers comments on the picture quality. From their perspective the everything after Khan had some deficiency.

I thought they were overdoing their look at the picture quality, but that's a tech issue I guess.

I thought all the movies look absolutely gorgeous and better then the DVD on every single disc, and I went through both sets.