Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Amazon Gold Box 12/8/09 Lost Season 1-5 set Less than $110 for the set

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Gold Box: LOST S1-S5 on BD = $108!!!

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
What's the packaging like on Season 3 Blu-ray? Does it have the old slipcover, no slipcover, or maybe a new slipcover?
Expect no slipcover.
Old 12-08-09, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, What an insane price, wish I knew someone I could give this to.
Old 12-08-09, 09:22 AM

I've never seen this, but many people have recommended it to me. Too bad there is 1 more season so we know there will be a box set, but one never knows how much better. The new box set will probably also be a lot more expensive. I'm hard pressed to pay $25 for a season of anything on BR. By buying this one then I'll have to wait for season 6 on BR to become $25 or less. Either way it could take a long time. Order now and possibly regret it in the future or don't order now and regret it for a couple years until there's a good deal on a 1-6 box set. One thing I've learned is that I LIKE to have extras on my sets, but other than the deleted scenes I rarely watch them. I know I won't re-buy anything just for extras if content is equal.

So I ordered it and 3 minutes later it's in the shipping soon state. Amazon doesn't want anyone changing their minds.

And anyone who thinks they'll make a big profit on reselling this, I doubt it very much. If eBay gets flooded or as soon as more than a few people trade these in to FYE, the prices will drop fast. FYE's prices never have recovered after the Big Lots $3 and $6 titles which pulled stuff that was worth $8-$25 each down to about $1 or 10 cents each. Of course FYE never lowered their resale prices on any of those... they just want to pocket a bigger profit. Trading in a brand new series to FYE for $1 and they turn around and sell it used for $40? Nah, I'd rather gave it to a friend than let FYE profit that much. FYE is just like money market funds these days... they want your discs for practically free and money market funds want to hold your money for practically free.

I'm surprised Amazon hasn't had BSG "Complete" series (which is not really complete) for about this price. This will be the second series I've bought on BR. For the most part I'll live with SD as I can't justify the upgrade costs.

Last edited by Manzana; 12-08-09 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-08-09, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana
I've never seen this, but many people have recommended it to me. Too bad there is 1 more season so we know there will be a box set, but one never knows how much better. The new box set will probably also be a lot more expensive. I'm hard pressed to pay $25 for a season of anything on BR. By buying this one then I'll have to wait for season 6 on BR to become $25 or less. Either way it could take a long time. Order now and possibly regret it in the future or don't order now and regret it for a couple years until there's a good deal on a 1-6 box set. One thing I've learned is that I LIKE to have extras on my sets, but other than the deleted scenes I rarely watch them. I know I won't re-buy anything just for extras if content is equal.

So I ordered it and 3 minutes later it's in the shipping soon state. Amazon doesn't want anyone changing their minds.

And anyone who thinks they'll make a big profit on reselling this, I doubt it very much. If eBay gets flooded or as soon as more than a few people trade these in to FYE, the prices will drop fast. FYE's prices never have recovered after the Big Lots $3 and $6 titles which pulled stuff that was worth $8-$25 each down to about $1 or 10 cents each. Of course FYE never lowered their resale prices on any of those... they just want to pocket a bigger profit. Trading in a brand new series to FYE for $1 and they turn around and sell it used for $40? Nah, I'd rather gave it to a friend than let FYE profit that much. FYE is just like money market funds these days... they want your discs for practically free and money market funds want to hold your money for practically free.

I'm surprised Amazon hasn't had BSG "Complete" series (which is not really complete) for about this price. This will be the second series I've bought on BR. For the most part I'll live with SD as I can't justify the upgrade costs.
People need to take advantage of these sales for personal enjoyment, and not trying to flip for a profit. Those days are over, folks. The Big Lots sale is a good example. Dozens of people tried to sell Popeye, a set that was previously retailed at $40. Now, Popeye still sells for less than $10 bucks, 7 months later. There is no resell market when everyone is trying to do the same thing.
Old 12-08-09, 09:44 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Amazon Gold Box 12/8/09 Lost Season 1-5 set Less than $110 for the set

Ordered although I already have 1-4 on BR. I'll either give them as gifts or sell them, it was hard to not spend an extra $60 (over S5) for S1-4.
Old 12-08-09, 09:52 AM

Arrrrgggghhh. I spent shit load of money during BF and I am trying to save some money for xmass shopping but Season 1 through 5 on Blu for $109. Can't pass on this good of a deal brother and I am about the pull the trigger
Old 12-08-09, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Moopher
Wow, What an insane price, wish I knew someone I could give this to.
Old 12-08-09, 10:01 AM

Could someone help me with this part of a Lost BR review:

"ABC Studios and Buena Vista Home Entertainment have finally brought 'Lost: The Complete First Season' to Blu-ray, released simultaneously with a separate box set for the second season. For reasons that only marketing executives will ever understand, the show's later third season and fourth season were both previously released on the format in advance of these earlier, critical episodes. It is imperative that the series be watched in proper sequential order."

Is this saying that the episodes in seasons 3 and 4 on BR are in the wrong order? Or is it saying that season 2 was released after seasons 3 and 4 and just warning of the obvious: that people should watch the seasons in order?
Old 12-08-09, 10:09 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Goodbye $109.

Hello Lost 1-5.

Old 12-08-09, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Manzana
Is this saying that the episodes in seasons 3 and 4 on BR are in the wrong order? Or is it saying that season 2 was released after seasons 3 and 4 and just warning of the obvious: that people should watch the seasons in order?
It's saying Season 1 and 2 were released on BD after (June '09) Seasons 3 (Dec. '07) and 4 (Dec. '08) were available on BD.
Old 12-08-09, 10:12 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Very tempting, but I'm positive that the eventual complete series set will have exclusive material, so I'm going to have to wait.
Old 12-08-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Very tempting, but I'm positive that the eventual complete series set will have exclusive material, so I'm going to have to wait.
That was my thinking when I canceled the last order (for $140) and will pass on this as well...
Old 12-08-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
108?

Well played Amazon, well played.
Okay, since a couple of folks over at SD mentioned this as well, I have to ask... what's the significance of the 108 number? I'm totally drawing a blank on it. I know it's not part of THE numbers, nor is it the flight number... I'm thinking it's from an earlier season and I just can't remember it. Help!!
Old 12-08-09, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
People need to take advantage of these sales for personal enjoyment, and not trying to flip for a profit. Those days are over, folks.
Although I agree with you in principal, I still plan on flipping some of these. But it isn't necessarily for "profit." It is because I already own them, and will never get as good of a deal on S4 and S5. So buying this set and selling S1-3, even if I break even on 1-3, will serve it's purpose. If I make profit on them, even better. If I take a slight loss, that's OK too. I'm still getting the best price on S4 & S5.
Old 12-08-09, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by bwsmom
Okay, since a couple of folks over at SD mentioned this as well, I have to ask... what's the significance of the 108 number? I'm totally drawing a blank on it. I know it's not part of THE numbers, nor is it the flight number... I'm thinking it's from an earlier season and I just can't remember it. Help!!
Add the numbers.
Old 12-08-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I was so giddy to see the new low price that I ordered it right away despite the fact that I ordered it for the $144 back in August, which I realized today shipped yesterday--too late to cancel that one. I called in to get a price adjustment on that, and after some mild arguing, I got it...but now the new set has been put in "preparing to ship" status almost immediately. So either I eat the $6 or so it costs to return one of them, or sell one on ebay...WWYDVDTRD? (What would you DVD Talk readers do?) :-)
Old 12-08-09, 11:15 AM
Suspended

It's also (from S2)
Spoiler:
the # of minutes between button pushes in the hatch.
Old 12-08-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

108 is the sum of the numbers, the same lottery numbers that Hurley played.

The number does occur in several parts of the show, but I think this is just writers having fun with the numbers, not really central to the storyline.
Old 12-08-09, 11:41 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Ordered and shipped within about 1 hour. Nice.
Old 12-08-09, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow! I'm so tempted. I don't care much about extras, so the only thing a complete set would offer me is a new box with a Dharma logo on it.

Are the cases for 1-5 currently uniform enough to not bug the shit out of me on the shelf? I get rid of slipcovers, so I don't care if some have it and some don't.
Old 12-08-09, 11:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've only seen the 2 hour pilot from this show, back when it aired in 2005. I liked it, but didn't jump in to following the rest of the season. I rarely blind-buy tv seasons, but have been pleasantly amazed in the past with The Wire, Deadwood, and The West Wing. Of the 50 some-odd tv shows I own on dvd and blu-ray, the majority are HBO shows (i.e. Sopranos, Six Feet Under), followed by FX shows (i.e. The Shield, Rescue Me), followed by broadcast network shows from years past (i.e Twin Peaks, X-Files). And of course, Battlestar Galactica, my one and only recent sci-fi show that I love. The only broadcast network shows I watch today are sitcom staples like The Office and 30 Rock, and serialized dramas, 24 and Friday Night Lights. And, Family Guy. Everything else I watch and love is on cable networks (like Mad Men, Entourage, Dexter). All of my closest friends who are absolute diehard Lost fans curse the show up and down week to week, season to season, despite continuing to watch obsessively every week. It seems to be one of those shows that constantly frustrates its own fans. Does this show put enough emphasis on characters to invite replay value that isn't just about solving missed clues? 24 is a perfect example of a serialized drama that relies heavily on plot, but is elevated to a higher level because its principal characters (heroes and villains) are so well-rounded.

Shall I take the plunge on Lost? Lol. Thanks!
Old 12-08-09, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I really think you should and the price feels amazing. You'll benefit from the lack of waiting we all experienced during hiatuses and strikes. Even the "worst" episodes won't impact you as much as they did us when they first aired.

Season 2 is the weak link. Get through that, and you'll have a fun ride.
Old 12-08-09, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Possible (Hopeful) Amazon prices for the complete series set:

$117.99 - too good to be true?
$126.99 - would be a killer price.
$135.99 - does this have a shot?
$144.99 - wouldn't want this to go any higher.

Like any of these?
Old 12-08-09, 12:36 PM
Suspended

I already bought S1 - 4 but at that price, I couldn't resist. I'll resell the others.
Old 12-08-09, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by aktick
It's also (from S2)
Spoiler:
the # of minutes between button pushes in the hatch.
THANK YOU!!! As much as I love the show (and I DO, I really DO!), it's hard for me to remember all the little nuances like this one. Thank God for the hardcore fans out there who retain every detail and catch all the subtleties!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.