Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Ad (BD) for December 6-12, 2009 - Disney Steelbook + Lost, Potter Exclusives

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best Buy Ad (BD) for December 6-12, 2009 - Disney Steelbook + Lost, Potter Exclusives

Old 12-07-09, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Best Buy Ad (BD) for December 6-12, 2009 - Disney Steelbook + Lost, Potter Exclus

So, are people seeing any of the other Steelbooks aside from the ones pictured in the ad -- like, say, The Nightmare Before Christmas?
Old 12-07-09, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Best Buy Ad (BD) for December 6-12, 2009 - Disney Steelbook + Lost, Potter Exclus

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster View Post
So, are people seeing any of the other Steelbooks aside from the ones pictured in the ad -- like, say, The Nightmare Before Christmas?
Well, they don't officially come out til Tuesday. So we'll definitely know by then.
Old 12-07-09, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster View Post
here are the SKUs... looks like TNBC is confirmed.

A Bug's Life - 9650973
Cars - 9650891
Monsters Inc. - 9650955
Pinocchio - 9650946
Pirate's Curse of The Black Pearl - 9650928
Pirate's Dead Man's Chest - 9650919
Pirate's At Worlds End - 9650964
Ratatouille - 9650991
Sleeping Beauty - 9650937
Wall-E - 9650982
The Nightmare Before Christmas - 9650882
Old 12-07-09, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Guys according to another thread, Amazon's price matching the Batman BR set.
Old 12-07-09, 09:56 AM
Cool New Member

Amazon lists the new Harry Potter Blu-ray as a combo pack with the DVD. Are all of them like that, or is that some Amazon exclusive thing? Best Buy doesn't mention it, and Target just says it has "3 discs" without saying what the discs are.

I wanted to get the set with the mask as a gift, but only if it includes the DVD version.

edit: Scratch that, the full BB ad says "combo pack". Now I'm just wondering if that includes the mask version as well... I assume it does.

Last edited by phrekyos; 12-07-09 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-07-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
It's not that it is alienating it is that most people who want these movie likely already have them. So now they're asking you to shell out another 30 bucks essentially for a steelbook and some duplicate discs of a movie you already have.
Ah, so it's not the price that's the problem; it's your exaggerated sense of how many people have already bought Blu-ray editions of these titles. I don't mean to be snotty about it, but the numbers suggest that "most people" have yet to "go Blu" or have just taken their first steps into the format. The availability of these titles for the last year is irrelevant to people who had no reason to buy them during that time.
Old 12-07-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MinLShaw View Post
Ah, so it's not the price that's the problem; it's your exaggerated sense of how many people have already bought Blu-ray editions of these titles. I don't mean to be snotty about it, but the numbers suggest that "most people" have yet to "go Blu" or have just taken their first steps into the format. The availability of these titles for the last year is irrelevant to people who had no reason to buy them during that time.
No reason? Monsters Inc, Cars, Up and Wall-E all came in combo packs to entice potential future BD customers.
I'm thinking maybe they looked at the sales profits of the Up and MI BDs and figured we better make them (us) double/triple dip with some steel books by bringing them south of the border

Personally I got the free SB for Up and Snow White, but am not "upgrading" to these "new" SB. If I can find them in the future for under $5 (without the discs) I might consider it, but I'm not so completist compulsive that I'll get them at these prices no matter how "nice" they look.
Old 12-07-09, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If only i could afford to drop 90 bucks on those pirates steelbooks. Prolly end up getting A bug's life tho!
Old 12-08-09, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If anyone is looking to buy the Disney SteelBooks, there were only 3-7 copies of each. So good luck!

Old 12-08-09, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Very nice pics.
Old 12-08-09, 07:13 AM

What time did your store open? Mine doesn't open for another 45 mins? (9AM)
Old 12-08-09, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's about $350 sitting right there. Geesh!
Old 12-08-09, 08:45 AM

just left my Best Buy... Had no trouble, got all 11 steebooks with two free $25 dollar giftcards. (I had them do two separate transactions to qualify for the two giftcards). They had about 5-7 copies of each title.
Old 12-08-09, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
just left my Best Buy... Had no trouble, got all 11 steebooks with two free $25 dollar giftcards. (I had them do two separate transactions to qualify for the two giftcards). They had about 5-7 copies of each title.
Unless my math is wrong then 5 SB = less than $150 and thus a $10 GC. ^ SB = over $150 and thus a $25 GC. How did you swing 2 $25 GC?
Old 12-08-09, 09:39 AM
Cool New Member

I just went to the Burlington, MA Best Buy (new store) and they had none of the Disney steelbooks. The guy went in back and looked around and said they had nothing...he apologized, and said they may get a shipment some time today, but he's not sure why they don't have them, since the ad says they should.
Old 12-08-09, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Any pics of the Lost Dharma set?
Old 12-08-09, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post
That's about $350 sitting right there. Geesh!
wow. not sure I would spend that much for movies but to each their own.
Old 12-08-09, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
I just went to the Burlington, MA Best Buy (new store) and they had none of the Disney steelbooks. The guy went in back and looked around and said they had nothing...he apologized, and said they may get a shipment some time today, but he's not sure why they don't have them, since the ad says they should.
Check the freestanding cardboard display with the Lost dvds and blu-rays.
I asked and the guy had no clue what I was talking about.
He went in the back and was never seen again.
I keep looking and found them on the back side of the freestanding cardboard display with the Lost dvds and blu-rays on the front side.
No advertisement or mention that they are steelbooks; only says limited edition cases.
Old 12-08-09, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by nycdude View Post
wow. not sure I would spend that much for movies but to each their own.
Well, if the guy has money why not but I have to say it's freaking insane to blow $ 300+ on metal tins.

Who am I here to judge, I spent $ 8000 on collectibles (sideshow, hot toys) this year...and I do not make a lot of money.
Old 12-08-09, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Snapped some shots of the Best Buy exclusive Lost Season 5 set...

A slipcover over a slipcover! It should also be noted that the little pouch where the Extras DVD (it is a DVD) and luggage tag is does not look like it should be removed as it's actually built into the outer slipcover.

They had about 7 copies of the blu-ray version and a bazillion copies of the DVD version... none of the Dharma Initiative Initiation Kit blu-ray/DVD sets had the exclusive materials included.
Old 12-08-09, 11:32 AM

Just got back from best buy and I had no trouble at all getting sleeping beauty. There was about at least 5 or more of each.. ratatouille looked like it had the most. Not a single person at store opening looking at them so I don't know about other areas but near me locally they don't seem to be in very high demand as I expected from buying past steelbooks there.

I would like to buy them all but after seeing what amazon on other places are selling these for I just can't justify spending double or more the price for the cool case. If they had done a snow white/up deal I probable would have bought them all or at least spent more than just $30 bucks but probably a better move on best buys part because these will most likely sell out at these prices eventually if this is all the stock they have.

Originally Posted by RobLutter View Post
A slipcover over a slipcover!
Old 12-08-09, 11:45 AM

wow some of those steelbooks look nice. but i have all those on blu already. i don't think i can double up on these, some would be triple ups after dvd upgrade.
Old 12-08-09, 11:52 AM

Has anyone found Public Enemies BDs with Best Buy exclusive stickers? My friend says my store doesn't have any. Do they all have the BB exclusive content?
Old 12-08-09, 11:56 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by uglyjay View Post
Check the freestanding cardboard display with the Lost dvds and blu-rays.
I asked and the guy had no clue what I was talking about.
He went in the back and was never seen again.
I keep looking and found them on the back side of the freestanding cardboard display with the Lost dvds and blu-rays on the front side.
No advertisement or mention that they are steelbooks; only says limited edition cases.
Are you talking about the Burlington, MA store specifically?

Cause I just went there AGAIN and they had no steelbooks and no Lost Season 5s.

This is why I f'ing hate Brick & Mortar stores. All the people trying to help me had deer-in-the-headlight looks on their faces. They said they had no idea where all the discs are, even though their computer says they have many of each in stock.

I hope BB goes the way of Circuit City very soon and online retailers, with their typically lower prices, finally become the only way to buy stuff like this, so people can save their money. It makes me physically ill when I'm in a BB and see someone shelling out 29.99 for something that can be found for 19.99 on amazon.

Sorry...just annoyed.

Chris
Old 12-08-09, 12:08 PM

The BB by had lots of Public Enemies Blu-ray with the BB exclusive sticker. The blu-ray is a little bulkier under the slipcover so it was obvious there was an extra disc. Note they were all in one display but located towards the bottom whereas the non-exclusive version was in the top 2 rows.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.