DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Target $5 off BD printable coupon (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/565480-target-%245-off-bd-printable-coupon.html)

clintilona 11-28-09 08:48 AM

Re: Target $5 off BD printable coupon

Originally Posted by kenbenobi (Post 9859297)
It does NOT scan with those 2 titles...

It did for me.:shrug:

Adboy151 11-28-09 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi (Post 9859297)
It does NOT scan with those 2 titles...

It didn't scan for Gremlins, however for me I think that had more to do with using two coupons at the same transaction. The clerk just over-rid the coupon.

They're wasn't much left so I settled for Gremlins for $7.99 and finally picked up Reservoir Dogs for $3.99.

I hold on to my other coupons to see if any additional cheap titles between now and Christmas.

kenbenobi 11-28-09 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by clintilona (Post 9859366)
It did for me.:shrug:

it IS working this morning. last night it wasnt. i tried the exact same titles...

Grandie 11-28-09 09:12 AM

Has anyone NOT had to get an override for this coupon? Is it regional or limited to non-sale titles or something? I had to go to three stores this morning to find one that would give me a manual override discount. It wasn't working in any of their checkout machines.

jpws6 11-28-09 10:29 AM

Used the coupon on star trek this morning. The cashier scaned it and it said item not found, she looked at the coupon and said it was certainly over $5 so she manually applied it without really any questioning. Didn't say anything about the picture.

Certainly is going to be hit or miss based on what some of you have posted since it doesn't scan. Maybe they will fix it as things go along...would be nice to have this working since there should be some upcoming sales with the holidays.

Gizmo 11-28-09 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Grandie (Post 9859387)
Has anyone NOT had to get an override for this coupon? Is it regional or limited to non-sale titles or something? I had to go to three stores this morning to find one that would give me a manual override discount. It wasn't working in any of their checkout machines.

For my $14.99 40 Year Old Virgin she over-rode. My GF's $12.99 Gone with the Wind no over-ride. Maybe I was just the first person at the store to use it?

Manzana 11-28-09 10:41 AM

It sure would've been helpful to have these $5 off Blu-Ray coupons for Target before I bought several on Black Friday morning and passed on lots of others at $8.99 and $12.99. There are a few things I would've bought at Target instead of order from Amazon had I had the coupon.

So, if I understand this thread, everyone is using the same coupon with the same barcode, printing out a bunch of these identical coupons, and handing a stack of them to the cashier (1 per Blu-Ray) on a single transaction and in most cases this is working without problem? Managers aren't running over to block the transaction?

It's hard to believe. I'm tempted to go try it myself this morning (when I had hoped to stay home and rest), but Target was already low on stock Friday morning so today they'll probably wiped out of just about everything because everyone else who reads SD or DVD Talk will be snagging all of the $12.99 and less Blu-Rays. Then tomorrow or next week when they get more in stock they will have reverted to their previously not-worth-buying prices.

It's hard to believe Target won't cancel these coupons before the Christmas expiration.

Grandie 11-28-09 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Manzana (Post 9859480)
So, if I understand this thread, everyone is using the same coupon with the same barcode, printing out a bunch of these identical coupons, and handing a stack of them to the cashier (1 per Blu-Ray) on a single transaction and in most cases this is working without problem? Managers aren't running over to block the transaction?

This coupon is definitely hit and miss. Depending on the title, you'll have to hope you get a cashier or manager who will override it for you. I don't know if the coupon isn't in their system or if it just doesn't work on a lot of titles even though there is no mention of restrictions.

From reading other posts, it sounds like people are buying one disc at a time with different cashiers. The coupon wording says $5 off a Blu-ray purchase, "one coupon per transaction". It doesn't say "Limit one per customer".

popegregFKAgoblin23 11-28-09 11:17 AM

It worked without an override for me for Gone With The Wind at one store (76th & Brown Deer, Milwaukee) this morning. It did not work for The Wizard of Oz at the Grafton, WI store, but I got an override for that one.

Sure I had to make 2 trips to find 'em this morning, but soooooooooo glad I didn't have to deal with the BF crowds; and I got 'em for $7.99 each!!!

TANK 11-28-09 11:38 AM

It just worked for me with Body Of Lies ( $12.99 -$5= $ 7.99 )

hal9000 11-28-09 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Manzana (Post 9859480)

Pretty much, yeah! Apparently the coupon has a generic barcode. I haven't tried "handing a stack of coupons" in one single transaction (I don't have the balls), so I drive around to the various Targets around my house. I do plan on doing the old go in buy one, go out to the parking lot, go back into the store and going to another clerk routine.

Originally Posted by Manzana
It's hard to believe. I'm tempted to go try it myself this morning (when I had hoped to stay home and rest).

No rest for you! ;)

Originally Posted by Manzana
It's hard to believe Target won't cancel these coupons before the Christmas expiration.

It's not out of the realm of possibility. Target shut down a $5 off $25 any toy/game coupon a year or two ago because of widespread abuse. But it took them weeks to catch on. If I were you, act as if this coupon was going to get shut down sooner than later. Depending on how brazen you are you could do considerable damage with these coupons.

tofferman 11-28-09 11:59 AM

For me, it worked on Gremlins, Gone with the Wind, Coraline and Land of the Lost.

It doesn't hurt to be nice to cashiers and strike up a conversation about their BF experience.

PGHFlyer 11-28-09 01:06 PM

Worked on Gremlins. Unfortunately no Oz in stock. Thanks OP!

Pointyskull 11-28-09 01:08 PM

Thanks OP!

Used it twice today and picked up Crank and V For Vendetta BDs for 3.99 each!

moviewizguy 11-28-09 01:08 PM

It did NOT work for me. I was kinda PO'ed since some of you guys got the $5 off. I tried to get Basic Instinct, which was $8.99 but they wouldn't let me use the coupon. They wouldn't override it either. However, I guess the coupon works for the $12.99 titles because my cousin got Batman Begins for $7.99 with no override.

Jfunk1 11-28-09 02:12 PM

It worked for me on Gremlins, but took an override on Gone With The Wind. Luckily for GWTW, the checker was really nice and wanted to keep the line moving. So, he just basically took off the $5 manually.

I used 2 coupons on two separate check-outs from the same store this morning. Didn't want to attempt trying both with the same checkout person and being denied.

xage 11-28-09 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by moviewizguy (Post 9859669)
It did NOT work for me. I was kinda PO'ed since some of you guys got the $5 off. I tried to get Basic Instinct, which was $8.99 but they wouldn't let me use the coupon. They wouldn't override it either.

I guess you dont bother to complain or persuade them. The coupon said so - It should work.

Originally Posted by moviewizguy (Post 9859669)
I guess the coupon works for the $12.99 titles because my cousin got Batman Begins for $7.99 with no override.

Now, youre creating theories here. The coupon clearly states: $5 above and not $12.99 above.

:blush:

matt0009 11-28-09 02:29 PM

I wish I had this yesterday when I got Gremlins and Gone with the Wind. Too bad I already opened them.

Still I went back today and picked up a few more. I hopped back and forth between two Targets that are within a mile of each other.

Got-
Full Metal Jacket - $3.99
Dark City- $3.99
Wizard of Oz - $7.99

Wizard of Oz didn't scan though the cashier overrode it without a moment's notice.

Sweet Baby James 11-28-09 02:30 PM

No problems whatsoever in getting the coupon to scan for Gone With the Wind, Gremlins, Crank, Cutthroat Island and Terminator on the same receipt. Five titles for $29 plus tax=awesome! Unfortunately, there were no copies of Oz to be found. A huge thanks to junglalien and hal9000:)

Straker 11-28-09 02:51 PM

I went to the Attleboro MA Target about 11 this morning and, much to my shock, found a single copy of The Wizard Of Oz still in the display. I grabbed that and Star Trek . Using two of the $5 discount coupons, the total came to $22.98 + tax for both. The kid at the register in the electronics dept. had no problem with me using two coupons in one transaction.

D'ohboy 11-28-09 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by matt0009 (Post 9859763)
I wish I had this yesterday when I got Gremlins and Gone with the Wind. Too bad I already opened them.

Still I went back today and picked up a few more. I hopped back and forth between two Targets that are within a mile of each other.

Got-
Full Metal Jacket - $3.99
Dark City- $3.99
Wizard of Oz - $7.99

Wizard of Oz didn't scan though the cashier overrode it without a moment's notice.

Take in your receipt and coupon. They were happy to hand me a $5 bill for my WoO purchase on Friday.

Surfinhank 11-28-09 03:01 PM

Not sure what's going on here. I decided to try a test today. Used the coupon for Transformers 2... and it scanned with no problem. Seeing as how everyone is having such a hard time using it on other titles, my guess is it's probably supposed to be used for that one movie (although it's not worded very well). But then again, it did work on one other movie I bought, and also people are posting "no-override" success stories on titles I did have to have the cashier override.

Jason 11-28-09 03:19 PM

Didn't work on the $8.99 Dark City BD, but the clerk said "eh, close enough" and overrode it for me.

jackson walker 11-28-09 03:24 PM

Decided to try my luck with "Gone With The Wind", the checkout lady noticed the photo on the coupon and flatly said "There is a picture of Transformers on this coupon, so it can only be used on the Transformers Blu-ray!"
I thanked her and left the store, driving over to a different Target.
Finding only one Blu-ray copy left of "Gone With The Wind" in the place, this checkout lady not only overrode the register (after commenting about the photo of Transformers on the coupon), but she cut out the coupon from the sheet of paper for me. Nice.

izatright 11-28-09 03:30 PM

Got the following blus:
1 Departed $3.99
2 Gone with the Wind $7.99
1 Gremlins $7.99

I used all four in the same lane with the same clerk in four different transactions. I just told her the coupon says only one per transaction so I wanted to do them in four transactions. NONE of them scanned for the item so they were all overrode.