Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Star Trek (2009) now $19.99 at Amazon

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-09, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Trek (2009) now $19.99 at Amazon

i guess the Best Buy's around here never opened up as i ran into a bunch of people walking into WM as i was walking out

$19.96 for the bluray isn't a bad deal in my book
Old 11-17-09, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

BestBuy.com now has this listed as $19.99 as well. Which is even cheaper than their "doorbuster" price.
Old 11-17-09, 02:20 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I emailed about the price drops on both Fight Club and Star Trek, got them both quickly. In fact, got a response to my Star Trek query about 5 minutes after I sent it.
Old 11-17-09, 08:29 AM

My Target had the 3 disc blu-ray for $19.99. With a leftover $5 gift card (from those Beatles CD purchases), I snagged it for $14.99.
Old 11-17-09, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For those interested in the Target 3-Disc Exclusive Enterprise Case version, mine rang up at $24.99! Not bad for the 3-Disc Blu-Ray and an awesome case!
Old 11-17-09, 10:06 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

So I sent Amazon an e-mail about refunding me $1 on Trek since it shipped yesterday and the price was lowered yesterday. They responded:

Hello from Amazon.com.
>
> Thanks for contacting us about the recent price change on "Star Trek". I
> recognize you have a choice of retailers and appreciate that you prefer to
> order from us. Unfortunately, we do not have a post-order price guarantee.
>
> I've reviewed your order and see that the price change is significant from
> the time the item shipped.
>
> Under the circumstances, I'll make a one-time exception for you and issue a
> refund for the price difference in the amount of $1.00. You should see the
> refund in the next 2-3 business days.
>
> Please understand that I'm issuing this refund because of the exceptional
> circumstances, and I'm doing this for you against our standard policy.
>
> Thanks for shopping at Amazon.com. We look forward to your next visit.
And this is their price guarantee policy:
Pre-Order Price Guarantee

Amazon.com's price for not-yet-released items sometimes changes between the time the item is listed for sale and the time it is released and shipped. Whenever you pre-order a book, CD, video, DVD, video game, or software item, the price we charge when we ship it to you will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.com between the time you place your order and the release date. The order summary in Your Account will reflect the lowest price within 24 hours of the price change.

Please note that our Pre-Order Price Guarantee applies only to items sold by Amazon.com, and not to items (or prices) offered by other sellers on our site.

If your order enters the shipping process before the release date and the price is lowered on the release date, we will automatically refund your credit card for the difference between the price you were charged and the release-date price. If you did not use a credit card to pay for your order, please contact customer service through the Contact Us box on the right side of any Help page.
A one time exception? Won't be pre-ordering from them again.
Old 11-17-09, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, is $19.99 the best price to be had?
Old 11-17-09, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
For those interested in the Target 3-Disc Exclusive Enterprise Case version, mine rang up at $24.99! Not bad for the 3-Disc Blu-Ray and an awesome case!
Mine too. The tag said it'd be $29.99, but it rang up at $24.99.
Old 11-17-09, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by IronWaffle
Same here.

Also, Fight Club Blu is $19.99 or $16.99, if you PM Best Buy.
Old 11-17-09, 02:04 PM

The Target here had a "lower than advertised price" on both the BR and the BR exclusive. Funny that both of the BR's are cheaper than the DVD's @ Target

They had a TON of the exclusive set...I passed though as it didn't have a regular case included as well. I picked up the Best Buy exclusive with the Starfleet badges instead.
Old 11-17-09, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

$17.99 at a Best Buy during the "doorbuster" sale... and I missed out on saving $2...
Old 11-17-09, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I passed on the Target exclusive because of the 29.99 price tag, but now I'll go after work to see if it rings up 24.99 here as well. If so, I'll get it. I'm OK with $5 more for the cool case...
Old 11-17-09, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
So I sent Amazon an e-mail about refunding me $1 on Trek since it shipped yesterday and the price was lowered yesterday. They responded:

And this is their price guarantee policy:

A one time exception? Won't be pre-ordering from them again.
They'll auto refund the $1. You'll probably get a double refund on this one. I've done it before thinking I had to e-mail them. Their "one-time" refund is separate from the pre-order refund. A nice bonus when the difference is higher, like $5 with Transformers. You get double what you should.

Last edited by Jericho; 11-17-09 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-17-09, 10:52 PM

Bought the Bluray Enterprise set at Target for 24.99...Totally SWEET case!!
Old 11-18-09, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by NCC1701E
The Target here had a "lower than advertised price" on both the BR and the BR exclusive. Funny that both of the BR's are cheaper than the DVD's @ Target

They had a TON of the exclusive set...I passed though as it didn't have a regular case included as well. I picked up the Best Buy exclusive with the Starfleet badges instead.
It must be bad luck for me tonight. Just like Monster Inc, I can't find a copy of the BR exclusive in the Target store near my house. I have to check out other Target stores after work tomorrow.
Old 11-18-09, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jericho
They'll auto refund the $1. You'll probably get a double refund on this one. I've done it before thinking I had to e-mail them. Their "one-time" refund is separate from the pre-order refund. A nice bonus when the difference is higher, like $5 with Transformers. You get double what you should.

From a lot of personal experience, they miss the refund A LOT, especially when the price lowers on or just before the release day.

I always call and even then I always have to explain to them their own guarantee, which really isn't very complicated to begin with.

Also, I've never gotten them to give me a refund I was due and then gotten a second one.

The problem with not pre-ordering as a general rule is that it seems Amazon is the best place for the lowest prices most of the time. And if you order something, say, 2 months out from the release date, it often will go down, somtimes for no reason that I can figure out (nothing to do with Best Buy or Walmart for example) and you get that price locked in even if they go back to the higher prices.

I am totally getting sick of Amazon lowering the price on either the release date, the day after, or even in that first week, but if you look at all that I gained by pre-ordering, it's not worth it to me to stop because I might lose a dollar.

Galaxy Quest, Leon-The Professional, and many other titles I've ordered went down a lot during their pre-order days and ended up higher on release day, so if you wait you're probably going to lose more than you gain in most cases.

I know that my orders are almost always going to go into the shipping soon status on the Sunday or Monday before the release date, so if I do feel like I'm getting hosed and the order could be cheaper somewhere else, I just cancel. And now I just make sure to look at my orders on the day of release to see if it's gone down again because it's almost always in the shipping soon status by release day.

The ones that do automatically adjust (maybe 50-50) if you order a lot, then I always get an e-mail letting me knowing what my saving where from what the price was when I order to the price it was when they actually charged me.

Unless you had credit or gift cards or anthing like that, I just know for a fact that you would have spent more money this November by preordering at Amazon and making sure they adjusted the price if it went down. And November was, for me, was so far the month where I ordered more new release BDs than any other. The little bit of annoyance was very worth it for me.
Old 11-18-09, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by IronWaffle
It was tagged $24.99 at the store today.
Old 11-18-09, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I got my discount auto applied today.
Old 11-18-09, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Also, I've never gotten them to give me a refund I was due and then gotten a second one.
Well from personal experience, I've gotten the double refund a few times. Most recently with Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen as I stated. A lot of it is timing, however. Request the refund right before the auto-refund is issued.

Can't say I've ever had Amazon not issue a refund. I pre-order a lot from them, and I don't watch everything like a hawk, but it seems everything works fine. Can't really complain too much.
Old 11-18-09, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jericho
Well from personal experience, I've gotten the double refund a few times. Most recently with Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen as I stated. A lot of it is timing, however. Request the refund right before the auto-refund is issued.

Can't say I've ever had Amazon not issue a refund. I pre-order a lot from them, and I don't watch everything like a hawk, but it seems everything works fine. Can't really complain too much.
They're dropping prices on the day after release more than I've ever seen. I wouldn't even be involved in most of these threads, but I ordered more blus in November than ever before by a lot and December is pretty busy too. Combined with all of those sales, it was a different experience than only having 1 or 2 things to look at.

But I gotta say, I'd be ticked if they keep this trend up. Chasing Amy went down to $23.99 from $25.99. Galaxy Quest dropped from the release day price (although it was even lower if you had pre-ordered it before going up again to $19.99).

It's like that from almost every title. I still did well, but if you pre-ordered some of these titles just before release day in the last month or two and didn't catch a lot of them at or near earlier lower prices, you probably have noticed that a lot of titles went down in price just a day after the release date.

And as far as notices go, it might just come down to luck. I mean, they usually send me an e-mail of ANYTHING that I preordered to let me know how much I saved with their price guarantee. I had 7 blus that I pre-ordered with them and ALL of them were shipped to me at lower prices than I originally ordered them at, but I only got one e-mail for Star Trek.

They should really go back and, at least, give you a 1 week window. It just doesn't seem fair to the regular shopper to buy Chasing Amy on release day for $25.99 and then see it for $23.99 one day later or buy Forrest Gump on release date for $22.99 and then see it for $19.99 a day later.
Old 11-19-09, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man, I've been having all sorts of problems with Amazon lately. First my Clone Wars goes from California to Massachusetts, stops off in New Jersey, before going back to the west coast where I live(Oregon).

This order is stuck somewhere between Amazon shipping it and the post office getting it. USPS shows no record of it and Amazon's tracking shows:

Date Time Location Event Details
November 17, 2009 05:57:00 PM --- Arrival Scan
November 16, 2009 10:48:13 PM Fernley NV US Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit

It apparently left Amazon and was went to the Nothing.

I know I didn't stop believing in it, so I don't know why it went there so fast.
Old 11-19-09, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That allways happens to me for some reason. (USPS tracking showing nothing while Amazon does)

Give it time it will show up.
Old 11-19-09, 09:26 PM

I ordered my copy of Star Trek from Amazon a month before the release date and they still haven't shipped out my copy yet. I'm pretty disappointed, if I had ordered it a couple of days ago I could understand the delay but it shouldn't happen when I order a month in advance.
Old 11-20-09, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bluth54
I ordered my copy of Star Trek from Amazon a month before the release date and they still haven't shipped out my copy yet. I'm pretty disappointed, if I had ordered it a couple of days ago I could understand the delay but it shouldn't happen when I order a month in advance.
I ordered my copy @ 2pm Monday & had it on my door-step at noon Tuesday..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/conta...node_id=468520
or call'em
Old 11-20-09, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
That allways happens to me for some reason. (USPS tracking showing nothing while Amazon does)

Give it time it will show up.
Well, that was the Amazon tracking and it doesn't really show anything.

USPS shows "There is no record of this item."

I'm thinking it died as the post office at least says it's been picked up and then doesn't say anything else until after I get it.

After a few emails, I did manage to get Amazon to actually look at the tracking info instead of resending me the tracking number. Then they realized something might not be right.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.