Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

All Criterion Blu-rays, $13 at Barnes & Noble

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-09, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: All Criterion Blu-rays, $13 at Barnes & Noble

Originally Posted by Trevor
I had been good about not buying the ones I already own on DVD, but at ~$13 per I'm leaning towards double-dipping.

I'm going to try to continue resisting on The Last Emperor though. The lack of extras and presentation problems have me convinced that I'm fine with the DVD set.
Come on Trevor...at this price, buy it I figure I'd watch The Last Emperor on Blu-ray and still have the extras on DVD. It's really too bad that they stripped so much out of the Blu-ray; I was very disappointed.
Old 11-19-09, 05:22 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by snausages
Come on Trevor...at this price, buy it
You're evil. My plan is to keep buying a few titles a day until they run out of things I don't already have. Then I'll have no choice but to pick up a couple blu double dips

The local stock is getting slim, so it will probably happen.
Old 11-20-09, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

can dvds/blu-rays be taken out of the media section and paid for up front? basically can i buy 1 at the media section then take another up front to the cashiers and buy one there?
Old 11-20-09, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
can dvds/blu-rays be taken out of the media section and paid for up front? basically can i buy 1 at the media section then take another up front to the cashiers and buy one there?
Not at my B&N. They have the security sensors in the media section and the alarm would sound if I tried to take them out of that section.
Old 11-20-09, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Not at my B&N. They have the security sensors in the media section and the alarm would sound if I tried to take them out of that section.
You just have to hold them high above your head to bypass the sensors. Or do that Kevin Kline trick.
Old 11-20-09, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Nah. The other day I was there and the cashier was having trouble with his register and had to wait for someone to come fix it and the dame in front of me said she would just go pay at the front registers but the guy said unfortunately you HAVE to pay there.
Old 11-23-09, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm hoping to get Gomorrah maybe tonight online or instore, we'll see how that goes.
Old 11-23-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm kind of glad this is [sort of] over. If there was an active nonmember coupon I'd probably pick up another one or two. As it is, I got two movies from B&N for $15 and a few from Amazon which I couldn't find locally for $19 (Gold Box).
Old 11-23-09, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought 5 more Criterions on the last day of the sale. I need help. On the bright side, I ended in style. The last title I bought was a 29.99 title, and they still let me use the $5 coupon. All of the other titles I bought were 39.99... I bought 16 titles during this sale. The last sale I only bought 3 or 4, so I made up for lost ground...
Old 11-23-09, 07:40 PM

One last check of a couple stores tonight. No early sign of Gomorrah, but I couldn't resist and used the $5/$5/$5 coupon trio at each store.

The stores have definitely been restocking almost daily. All 5 titles I bought tonight were not there yesterday.

Might do a couple online orders late tonight, haven't used all the online coupons yet.
Old 11-23-09, 08:29 PM

What online coupons are available?
Old 11-23-09, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You're evil. My plan is to keep buying a few titles a day until they run out of things I don't already have. Then I'll have no choice but to pick up a couple blu double dips

The local stock is getting slim, so it will probably happen.
So did you pick it up? Yes I am an enabler.

what $5/$5/$5? I had to call a few hundred miles away to find The Third Man Blu-ray. Which is better..the digipak or the plastic case? They only had the plastic case version.

Does anyone know if you can get plastic case replacement for The Last Emperor? The blu-ray digipak looks really flimsy. I like the way the DVD set looks much better.
Old 11-23-09, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by munch
What online coupons are available?
Everything always kept up-to-date by Lasermovies in the long-standing B&N coupon thread.
So did you pick it up? Yes I am an enabler.

what $5/$5/$5? I had to call a few hundred miles away to find The Third Man Blu-ray. Which is better..the digipak or the plastic case? They only had the plastic case version.

Does anyone know if you can get plastic case replacement for The Last Emperor? The blu-ray digipak looks really flimsy. I like the way the DVD set looks much better.
No, the stores kept restocking titles I didn't have, so I didn't need to double dip.

The $5/$5/$5 coupons are the big ones we've been talking about. $5 off a CD, a DVD/BD, and a $50 total; can be all used in the same order.

Most prefer the plastic cases, and Criterion is switching back to only using those iirc. You can buy a plastic case for $5 from them if you have any digipaks.
Old 11-24-09, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Everything always kept up-to-date by Lasermovies in the long-standing B&N coupon thread.

No, the stores kept restocking titles I didn't have, so I didn't need to double dip.

The $5/$5/$5 coupons are the big ones we've been talking about. $5 off a CD, a DVD/BD, and a $50 total; can be all used in the same order.

Most prefer the plastic cases, and Criterion is switching back to only using those iirc. You can buy a plastic case for $5 from them if you have any digipaks.
Ahh thanks.. brain fart here

I wish I could have used a coupon on last purchase... that would have been sweet. Not sure if the store would take coupon with phone orders though. Surprisingly I only ended up getting 2 blu-rays during the sale. Not doing so good on the restraint with the Amazon/DD sales though
Old 11-24-09, 08:37 AM

Not doing so good on the restraint with the Amazon/DD sales though
I went way too crazy at B&N, so I'm trying to ignore all the Black Friday deals. But I'm weak.....
Old 11-24-09, 06:33 PM

I emailed Criterion a few days ago asking them about the cases. This was their reply:

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for writing in!

I'd be happy to give you some more information on the Blu-ray case replacements.

We will be offering replacement cases for the following titles:

THE THIRD MAN
THE LAST EMPEROR
THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH
BOTTLE ROCKET
CHUNGKING EXPRESS
THE 400 BLOWS
THE LAST METRO
EL NORTE
LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD

For US and Canadian customers, the cost for the replacement cases is $5 per case; this includes the cost of shipping. For multiple cases we offer a discount of $10 for the first two and $2.50 for each additional case beyond that (so, for instance, $12.50 for three cases).

To order the cases, simply make a payment to the email address [email protected] through PayPal, providing your mailing address and item(s) needed in the message field, and we'll send out the materials!

We currently have replacement cases for THE THIRD MAN in stock. For the remaining titles, we anticipate they will arrive later in November so if you prefer to purchase and receive all titles at once please check back in!

I hope this information is helpful and please let me know if you have any further questions! Thank you for supporting Criterion!

Best,

JM

It looks like it's $27.50 for all 9, which is what I would need. I guess I can go ahead and pay for them all at once and then they will mail them as they become available. $3 a pop is not too bad I don't think. Has anyone else bought any yet?
Old 11-24-09, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by for_reels
It looks like it's $27.50 for all 9, which is what I would need. I guess I can go ahead and pay for them all at once and then they will mail them as they become available. $3 a pop is not too bad I don't think. Has anyone else bought any yet?
I only need about 4 or 5, and will get them eventually. I hate the non-conformity of my Criterion blu-ray shelf. $15 or so is a small price to pay considering the great deals I've had on Criterions the last 6 months.