Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Hannibal Lecter Anthology - $31.99 shipped from Amazon

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Old 10-06-09, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this one at www.bluray.com, as the Hannibal Lecter Anthology, containing Manhunter, Silence Of The Lambs, and Hannibal, is $31.99 at Amazon right now

That's 46% of MSRP and about $13 cheaper than the best listed price at DVD Price Search, which is Deep Discount for $45.24.

This is a really good deal because neither Manhunter nor Hannibal are available separately right now and this is less than the retail price for Silence.
Old 10-06-09, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Hannibal Lecter Anthology - $31.99 shipped from Amazon

While it is a pretty good deal, buyers should be aware that only SOTL has any bonus features on it...the other two films are completely barren, movie-only discs....

Personally, I will be waiting for an individual release of Hannibal with the extensive original special features....if the movie only disc from this set is all they eventually release separately, then I will just stick with my existing 2-disc SE DVD....
Old 10-06-09, 05:41 PM

This is actually just one item in a bigger sale:

$32 Blu-Ray 3-Pack Sale - $31.99 for 20 different BD 3-packs. SALE ENDS 10/19/09

This is posted in the "Amazon.com $9.99 Blu-Ray Sales" thread as well, but someone might want to start a separate thread to highlight this awesome sale.
Old 10-06-09, 11:30 PM

If they included Red Dragon instead of Manhunter I would have considered this but nope they didn't and this is why it's worthless to me.
Old 10-07-09, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Idioteque...
If they included Red Dragon instead of Manhunter I would have considered this but nope they didn't and this is why it's worthless to me.
Red Dragon is a Universal film though, while the other three films are from MGM....that is why these three are bundled together as it is an MGM release...

(Also, I guess I should also mention that the "Hannibal Rising" prequel film was done by Weinstein...)
Old 10-07-09, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn, I'll have to strongly resist this one. I already have the BD release of SOTL. I mainly would want Manhunter and would buy for sure if it were available on its own. I already have the OOP Director's Cut and the Japanese DTS disc of the theatrical cut though, both very strong DVD releases. Hannibal is perplexing in that they did not carry over any of the plentiful extras from the 2 disc DVD release. I may have to pass and hope for individual releases.
Old 10-07-09, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Idioteque...
Red Dragon is inferior to Manhunter.
Old 10-07-09, 09:06 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by JackBurton
Red Dragon is inferior to Manhunter.
Very inferior to Manhunter.
Old 10-07-09, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts

Red Dragon was faithful to the book, in some very important ways which made a huge difference to me. Particularly the background of Dollarhyde and the ending (which was completely destroyed in Manhunter).

I'm tossed with William Petersen and Edward Norton. I didn't find either of them convincing. Tom Noonan and Brian Cox were both excellent, and I also thought Ralph Fiennes did a great job.

Although it's dated, I still like the soundtrack in Manhunter.

Regardless, after reading reviews of the blu-ray for Hannibal, I won't be picking up this set. I already own SOTL on blu-ray, and wouldn't mind Manhunter, but Hannibal is supposed to be a lousy transfer for what is the most beautifully shot of the three films. It's a shame.
Old 10-07-09, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, that Ronin/Siege/Die hard collection is too good to pass up.
Old 10-07-09, 12:15 PM

Has anyone actually bought and received this set or any of the 3-packs? I would want to sell one of the Blu-Rays on eBay; are the 3 films packaged in their original shell/snap case, and are they sealed/shrinkwrapped? Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-07-09, 01:15 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by thewrite1
Has anyone actually bought and received this set or any of the 3-packs? I would want to sell one of the Blu-Rays on eBay; are the 3 films packaged in their original shell/snap case, and are they sealed/shrinkwrapped? Any help is appreciated.
All 3 in one case (like a TV Series on Blu-ray).
Old 10-07-09, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
All 3 in one case (like a TV Series on Blu-ray).
Yes, but are each of the 3 in the case individually sealed (you know, on the side and top/bottom) and/or shrink wrapped? Does anyone know?
Old 10-07-09, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, but are each of the 3 in the case individually sealed (you know, on the side and top/bottom) and/or shrink wrapped? Does anyone know?
Contained in a three-disc trayed Blu-ray case.

Old 10-07-09, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Contained in a three-disc trayed Blu-ray case.

Thanks for replying and submitting the picture. I was actually looking at buying the comedy 3 pack with Young Frankenstein in it from Amazon. Are all of these 3 packs packaged like the Hannibal set, with all 3 in one case? Or does the comedy 3 pack, for example, have 3 separate cases that are individually sealed/shrink wrapped?
Old 10-07-09, 05:56 PM

Thanks for replying and submitting the picture. I was actually looking at buying the comedy 3 pack with Young Frankenstein in it from Amazon. Are all of these 3 packs packaged like the Hannibal set, with all 3 in one case? Or does the comedy 3 pack, for example, have 3 separate cases that are individually sealed/shrink wrapped?
I purchased the Marvel Hero pack a while back. These are the individual BD cases with UPC codes just put into a sturdy cardboard box that displays the spines:

The BDs were not individually shrink-wrapped, but they were sealed. I can't quite remember, but believe I may have had to peel those white "cover-up" stickers off from the individual BD UPCs. (Seems like they left sticky, but I just use Priority Mail packing tape to get that off.)

Last edited by kk725; 10-07-09 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-07-09, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some really good deals to be had here. What to get? Hmmmm...
Old 10-07-09, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Red Dragon was a joint venture by both Universal and MGM same as Hannibal was. only difference is Universal handled the us distribution for Red Dragon.
Originally Posted by WMAangel
Red Dragon is a Universal film though, while the other three films are from MGM....that is why these three are bundled together as it is an MGM release...

(Also, I guess I should also mention that the "Hannibal Rising" prequel film was done by Weinstein...)
Old 10-08-09, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
Red Dragon was a joint venture by both Universal and MGM same as Hannibal was. only difference is Universal handled the us distribution for Red Dragon.
I was only referring to who would be releasing the film on BD, which is Universal as I stated and it is why RD is not in this set as this collection is an MGM release...
Why the hell are you still replying to my posts anyway? I swear, your hypocrisy has now become legendary....
Old 10-13-09, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some nice deals on those 3-packs