Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Amazon bonus $10 Blu-ray credit with $50 trade in

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-09, 10:01 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Amazon bonus $10 Blu-ray credit with $50 trade in

Do a 50 dollar trade in of product on amazon and get an extra 10 dollar credit toward blu-rays.

To qualify for the $10 credit, you must create a trade-in order during the promotion period (October 1, 2009 – November 2, 2009). Items must be postmarked no later than November 2, 2009 to qualify.
- In the case of multiple trade-in orders, the coupon code will be given for each qualifying order that is received.
- Coupon code applies only to items shipped and sold by www.amazon.com. Does not apply to items sold by other merchants on the www.amazon.com Web site. Does not apply to any products purchased in Amazon.com's other sites, including Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, or Amazon.co.jp, or in Marketplace.
- Trade-in submissions not accepted and returned to you do not qualify for the promotion. Your trade-in submission could be returned to you if the items are damaged or non-working, incorrect items are included in your package, or accessories such as artwork or manuals are missing. Any submission postmarked later than 7 days after a mailing label is printed will be returned to you automatically. You should receive returned DVDs within 14 days of receipt via the U.S. Postal Service.
- Qualifying customers will be emailed their coupon code within 10 days after their trade-in has been accepted. The code expires June 30, 2010.
- Coupon valid for all Blu-ray disc products sold by www.amazon.com in the Blu-ray Store.
- Coupon code valid on purchases ordered before 11/02/09.
- No substitutions or rain checks.
- Offer must be redeemed through the Shopping Cart. Does not apply to orders placed with 1-Click.
- Tax, shipping, and handling charges may apply to all products.
- Offer may not be combined with other offers, including promotional certificates.
- Void where prohibited.
- Limit one discount per household, per qualifying order.
Old 10-02-09, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Amazon bonus $10 Blu-ray credit with $50 trade in

Interesting... I've never done a trade-in with Amazon before, and have seen many of their trade-in prices to be terrible, but I'll look up some prices tonight to see if they offer me decent prices for anything... Thanks, OP!
Old 10-02-09, 03:50 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Crappy trade-in prices
Old 10-02-09, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow ... you guys are right! terrible terrible trade-in prices.
Old 10-03-09, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

I guess if you want to send them 30-35 for $50 dvds then this might be good.
Old 10-03-09, 09:33 PM

I have enough DVDs that I am trying to sell (I guess I need to put up a list elsewhere on this site).. I think I can make it work with this Amazon deal.

I'll post my $50 trade-in selection that allows me to get to $50 bucks, using the smallest amount of DVDs possible.
Old 10-12-09, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by wrath
wow ... you guys are right! terrible terrible trade-in prices.
I don't know, I got $11.25 (which included free UPS shipping back to them) for my Snow White Platinum Edition DVD 10 days ago and then bought the Blu-ray for $10.56 ($9.96 plus tax after $10 coupon) at WM. The prices Amazon offers are definitely YMMV. BTW, I had my Amazon credit 5 days after sending the DVD in.
Old 10-18-09, 11:01 PM

I looked up about 10 DVDs I need to sell and every one was worth 1 dollar, 50 cents, or didn't even come up in a search. Pretty weak.
Old 10-19-09, 10:24 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some Disney items have very good trade-in values. Some of the Disney Treasures are around $20 and I saw one as high as $40. One of the True Life Adventures is about $20. Some TV sets are better than SecondSpin too. I traded in 6 items and got over $74, so it worked out great for me.
Old 10-19-09, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I found enough stuff to send Amazon two different orders, each totalling over $50. I went thru the DVDs I had to sell, and compared the prices on Amazon and Newtownvideo. (I don't even check SecondSpin anymore, their prices are terrible) I found some DVDs where Amazon was paying almost as much as Newtownvideo, and with the $10 Blu-ray bonus, it was definitely worth it.

Plus I love that Amazon gives you a postage-paid shipping label.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 10-19-09 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-19-09, 01:45 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RobCA
Plus I love that Amazon gives you a postage-paid shipping label.
Not only that, the UPS option gives you a tracking number so you know when the package has arrived. A little more peace of mind.

For the run of the mill DVD, it's not a great deal, but none of the trade-in places I checked are.
Old 10-19-09, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have you checked Newtownvideo.com? They have the best prices I've seen, especially for OOP stuff.

I didn't know the UPS option gives you a tracking number, or I'd have probably gone that route. I'll have to keep that in mind, thanks for the heads-up!

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 10-19-09 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-19-09, 02:36 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RobCA
Have you checked Newtownvideo.com? They have the best prices I've seen, especially for OOP stuff.
No, I haven't. I asked about them in the Store Forum a year ago. Not enough people seemed to have used them to give me a warm fuzzy. I should try them out on low priced stuff first before sending an expensive OOP item.

Edit:
Getting this when I go to their sell site just now doesn't encourage me:

"Content Encoding Error (content_encoding_error)

Server response could not be decoded using encoding type returned by server.
This is typically caused by a Web Site presenting a content encoding header of one type, and then encoding the data differently.

For assistance, contact your network support team."

Last edited by Jim; 10-19-09 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-19-09, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For what it's worth, I've sent them 10 boxes of DVDs over the past two years, totalling almost $1300, and I've never had a problem. That's including the two boxes I just sent them last week, for which I'll be receiving checks totalling $475. That's another thing I love about selling to them; they'll send you a check, instead of just giving you store credit, like most of the other sites do.

Rob
Old 10-19-09, 05:13 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good info Rob.
Old 10-21-09, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

But should I be worried that both Firefox and IE say that Newtownvideo.com is an "Untrusted" site?
Old 10-21-09, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got an e-mail from Amazon today that they received the first box of DVDs I sent them last Wednesday, and sure enough, when I checked my account, the gift card balance was there. What wasn't there was the $10 Blu-ray credit. But I called and spoke to someone there (actually, I did that thing on their site where they call you) and they added it to my account right away. Hopefully, I won't have to do that again when they get the second shipment I sent them.

Rob
Old 10-22-09, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I sent in 3 orders...all shipped quick, and the $50 credits appeared quickly. I did have to call and e-mail a few times to get my bonus $10 Blu-ray coupons, which still hadn't been sent after 10 days, but all is good now. It's sad to think of the lost money I originally paid for these discs, but with all of my new Blu-ray discs, I just need to get rid of these as quickly as possible and clear up some space--I don't want the hassle of selling them individually, and honestly, although the Amazon trade-in proces are cheap, you're not gonna get a whole lot for this stuff anyway. The free shipping and tracking--and the bonus $10 credits--really help make this a decent enough deal. (But wow, that $99 Ally McBeal set I got sure ate up a lot of it at once!) Overall, a decent deal and experience.
Old 10-22-09, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Cameron McGaughy
It's sad to think of the lost money I originally paid for these discs
My view is think of it like a garage sale. Because like a garage sale, while it's true that you aren't getting what you originally paid for something back, you are getting rid of something that you don't need anymore and at least getting some money back for it in the process (as opposed to simply throwing something away and getting nothing back).
Old 10-30-09, 10:45 AM

Looks like they've extended the offer:

Details:

- To qualify for the $10 credit, you must create a trade-in order during the promotion period (October 1, 2009 – December 31, 2009). Items must be postmarked no later than January 7, 2010 to qualify.
- In the case of multiple trade-in orders, the coupon code will be given for each qualifying order that is received.
- Coupon code applies only to items shipped and sold by www.amazon.com. Does not apply to items sold by other merchants on the www.amazon.com Web site. Does not apply to any products purchased in Amazon.com's other sites, including Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, or Amazon.co.jp, or in Marketplace.
- Trade-in submissions not accepted and returned to you do not qualify for the promotion. Your trade-in submission could be returned to you if the items are damaged or non-working, incorrect items are included in your package, or accessories such as artwork or manuals are missing. Any submission postmarked later than 7 days after a mailing label is printed will be returned to you automatically. You should receive returned DVDs within 14 days of receipt via the U.S. Postal Service.
- Qualifying customers will be emailed their coupon code within 10 days after their trade-in has been accepted. The code expires June 30, 2010.
- Coupon valid for all Blu-ray disc products sold by www.amazon.com in the Blu-ray Store.
- Coupon code valid on purchases ordered before 6/30/10.
- No substitutions or rain checks.
- Offer must be redeemed through the Shopping Cart. Does not apply to orders placed with 1-Click.
- Tax, shipping, and handling charges may apply to all products.
- Offer may not be combined with other offers, including promotional certificates.
- Void where prohibited.