Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best price on "The Wizard of Oz"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 01:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Best price on "The Wizard of Oz"?

Went to a Target at 9:35 this morning. All blu-ray copies of Wizard of Oz exclusive were gone. I'm actually relieved. I've never paid $35 for a single movie blu-ray, not even that much for a blu-ray tv season set. I can wait for prices to drop and availability to reach beyond Target and Walmart.
Old 09-29-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I definitely want the Target version of this release, but I also feel that $35 for this single release, as loaded as it may be, is still far too much to spend.
Old 09-29-09, 02:17 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Just as I said in the Gremlins thread: The reason exclusives suck is because no competition = no reason to discount it much. They can pretty much name their price and people who want it badly enough will buy it.

Me, I'll wait until their exclusive window is over, when other stores have it and therefore the price should drop dramatically.
Old 09-29-09, 02:39 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

As for Gremlins - hold on to your receipt. You can get the difference back within 90 days which covers you past Christmas.
Old 09-29-09, 06:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
I don't there are too many ppl that are paying that much for the set(unless they do all their shopping on ebay). Especially since Amazon & Best Buy among others are selling it in the $52-55 range.

I went ahead & ordered the UCE set from the WB shop today. Picked up a cpl of cheap scooby dvds for the wife also. Came out to $50 shipped for the UCE & 2 scooby dvds. Only bad part about it is that I'll have to wait another week or so to see it....but I knew that before I ordered.

I'll probably leave the big box out till the newest wears off then stick it on a shelf in a closet and put the movie set on the shelf with the rest of my blu's.
What promo code(s) did you use to get all of those items for $50 shipped? The UCE set alone is listed at $51.99 on WBShop.com. Thanks.
Old 09-29-09, 07:55 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

REWARD25 (or WBINSIDER25) and CABINWB and XB992 are the codes. Plus use cashbaq.com for another 5 percent off.
Old 09-29-09, 07:56 PM
g

Gremlins seemed like a total waste of money. This is the kind of catalogue title that ends up being 10.00 at amazon in a normal release. My Target had this but sold out of the oz exclusive.
Old 09-29-09, 09:13 PM

Using these codes, as indicated above, UCE Blu Ray came to 41.59. No need to add a second disc.

REWARD25 and CABINWB and XB992
Old 09-29-09, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Slave2Blu
Using these codes, as indicated above, UCE Blu Ray came to 41.59. No need to add a second disc.

REWARD25 and CABINWB and XB992
Correct me if I am wrong, but you have to pay 6.95 shipping though. If you buy more than one title you get free shipping. Plus you get the extra $5 off if your total is more than $50. Its worth it imo if
there is something else you want to pick up. If not, you are just saving a couple of bucks compared to buying it from Amazon.

btw, I ordered my UCE yesterday afternoon and got a shipping confirmation tonight. Should be here on 10/01.
Old 09-29-09, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, REWARD25 (or WBINSIDER25) does nothing to further discount the UCE. However, it does further discount any additional items you might buy...

Last edited by kenbenobi; 09-29-09 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-29-09, 10:15 PM
g

The only other thing I wanted was north by northwest BD. I hope I don't have to wait until November to get my Oz set.
Old 09-30-09, 12:31 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Used the 50% borders coupon and it worked
The cashier had to ask for the managers code in order to make it go through, not once did she doubt the validity of the coupon, really nice
Therefore got the ultimate edition for $42.99!! only $7 more than the famous Target edition, and it comes with 2 color books
Old 09-30-09, 12:43 AM

Well, I started out going to Target for The Wizard of Oz but they were sold out. Next headed to Sam's Club and it was nowhere in sight. Walmart was my next stop and just decided to get the $19.99 one disc edition for now. I bought the collector's edition a few years back on dvd and it was loaded with a lot of stuff so I figured why do I need a bunch of extras I for the most part already have.
Old 09-30-09, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone get the Best Buy exclusive UCE? I'm curious if those lenticular cards are worth it. I bought it, but haven't opened it because I also found #301 (non-exclusive version) and it's SOOO tempting to keep the low numbered version instead...
Old 09-30-09, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Anyone get the Best Buy exclusive UCE? I'm curious if those lenticular cards are worth it. I bought it, but haven't opened it because I also found #301 (non-exclusive version) and it's SOOO tempting to keep the low numbered version instead...
The question you should ask yourself is if you care about lenticular cards. I don't since they'll just stay in the box they came in and don't serve any purpose for me.
Old 09-30-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Timsterino
The manager stated they did not know anything about the coupon. I called corporate and complained. I received the same coupon in my email and brought the original email. So this is really a YMMV. I will let you know if and when I hear from corporate.
Doesn't matter if he knows nothing about the coupon. The discount is programmed into their computers. All they had to do is scan it in or enter the barcode # and the computer rings up the discount automatically. At least that's the way it was at my store.

Last edited by GMan2819; 09-30-09 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-30-09, 10:41 AM

I said screw it and decided to pick up the Target version today. I'm definitely hanging onto the receipt though, and maybe even keeping it sealed for a while, in case I change my mind.
Old 09-30-09, 11:10 AM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

If you go to Target and they are sold out you should ask for a raincheck.
The reason being the raincheck will have information on other Target stores in the area that may have stock. No guarantee but a friend went to the Mt Vernon NY store. which was sold out. The raincheck said the White Plains NY store might have stock and that store did have it.
This gives me hope for Gone With The Wind. I hope Target is not the store that gets an exclusive Gone With The Wind set as their stock always seems so limited. By the way Target is showing their regular price for their exclusive set is $39.99. The current price of $35 is good until the first week in October per the sign in the store. I can see the Wizard of Oz Target set going for $20 to $25 when it becomes available elsewhere. Maybe even at Target for Black Friday.
Old 09-30-09, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
Correct me if I am wrong, but you have to pay 6.95 shipping though. If you buy more than one title you get free shipping. Plus you get the extra $5 off if your total is more than $50. Its worth it imo if there is something else you want to pick up. If not, you are just saving a couple of bucks compared to buying it from Amazon.
Definitely a better deal to order something in addition to the UCE. By itself, it would have cost me $52.07, including tax and shipping. After adding the NxNW BD book, it came to $62.10. A no-brainer!
Old 09-30-09, 10:36 PM
Banned

Thanks OP. Grabbed the Emerald set today. Found a Target with 3 copies left.
Old 09-30-09, 10:39 PM

Called Target..."We never got it in at this store." Went to the store, saw a copy (the only one), and bought it. I prefer the space saving design much more than the limited collection of stuff.
Old 10-01-09, 02:28 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Classic Films
I hope Target is not the store that gets an exclusive Gone With The Wind set as their stock always seems so limited.

They are - basically same as with Wiz/Oz. And just like Gremlins, that same day they will have an exclusive on The Goonies BD as well.
Old 10-01-09, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cinemaphile
They are - basically same as with Wiz/Oz. And just like Gremlins, that same day they will have an exclusive on The Goonies BD as well.
I bought the Target 3-disc edition of Wizard of Oz. Since Gone with the Wind supposedly has the MGM documentary found on Wizard, I'll feel comfortable getting a single-disc version of GwtW -- hopefully, Walmart will offer one.
Old 10-01-09, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bought the 3-Disc at Target today ... which the cashier then proceeded to bang the s@!t out of on the counter, wiping it back and forth, to make sure the security strip was deactivated. The plastic was ripped a quarter off by the time she was done and the cardboard was scratched and banged to hell.

Looks like I need to find another copy and return the first.
Old 10-01-09, 10:16 PM
g

wbshop shipped mine today even though I had a preorder of north by northwest bd with it too. I am very happy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.