Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Best price on "The Wizard of Oz"?

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Best price on "The Wizard of Oz"?

Old 09-28-09, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best price on "The Wizard of Oz"?

Just a heads up. I tried to use the 50% off coupon on another Blu Ray and my Borders refused to accept it.
Old 09-28-09, 06:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timsterino
Just a heads up. I tried to use the 50% off coupon on another Blu Ray and my Borders refused to accept it.
Why?
Old 09-28-09, 06:21 PM
Cool New Member

For the record, my local Walmart knows nothing about a Wizard of Oz Blu-ray. Granted the person I spoke to was an 18 year old guy who looked like he was stoned and didn't know what a "Wizard of Oz" is...

We will see tomorrow.
Old 09-28-09, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by dx23
Why?
The manager stated they did not know anything about the coupon. I called corporate and complained. I received the same coupon in my email and brought the original email. So this is really a YMMV. I will let you know if and when I hear from corporate.
Old 09-28-09, 06:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The manager stated they did not know anything about the coupon. I called corporate and complained. I received the same coupon in my email and brought the original email. So this is really a YMMV. I will let you know if and when I hear from corporate.
They are idiots.
Old 09-28-09, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm picking up the Target edition tomorrow morning... so excited...
Old 09-28-09, 06:38 PM

They are idiots.
That is a fact.
Old 09-28-09, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GenPion
I'm picking up the Target edition tomorrow morning... so excited...

Target edition for me too!

I don't need to spend 70 bucks just to get some John Ritter TV-movie about Frank Baum.
Old 09-28-09, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe

I don't need to spend 70 bucks just to get some John Ritter TV-movie about Frank Baum.
I don't there are too many ppl that are paying that much for the set(unless they do all their shopping on ebay). Especially since Amazon & Best Buy among others are selling it in the $52-55 range.

I went ahead & ordered the UCE set from the WB shop today. Picked up a cpl of cheap scooby dvds for the wife also. Came out to $50 shipped for the UCE & 2 scooby dvds. Only bad part about it is that I'll have to wait another week or so to see it....but I knew that before I ordered.

I'll probably leave the big box out till the newest wears off then stick it on a shelf in a closet and put the movie set on the shelf with the rest of my blu's.
Old 09-28-09, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whats the best promo to get it from WB?
Old 09-29-09, 02:15 AM

Then you might want to check out the Wal-mart version. The Target edition has the John Ritter movie. It's been reported that it's the same thing as the UCE, just without the trinkets. The Wal-mart version, however, is just the 1st disc. So if you're looking for just the movie, you should get it. I think it still has quite a few special features on it, too. I guess it all depends on if you want the special features on the second disc and/or the MGM doc on disc 3. For myself, I want the John Ritter movie as my wife told me about it a while back, and I was pretty excited when I saw it listed as a special feature, as I was curious about it. But I don't really care for the MGM doc. If the Wal-mart version held up to it's supposed bonus sticker (which lists the John Ritter movie), I would probably just go for it.
Old 09-29-09, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

They are idiots.
It should be mentioned that the 50% coupon was not available to all customers.

It was sent out to customers with expiring Borders Visa Cards and not a weekly coupon that Store Managers and Supervisors would be expecting.

Back on topic, I'll probably end up getting the Target Exclusive.

Last edited by asianxcore; 09-29-09 at 02:47 AM.
Old 09-29-09, 08:44 AM

Any updates on the actual contents of the Walmart version?
Old 09-29-09, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tweakophyte
Any updates on the actual contents of the Walmart version?
Yes, it is the EXACT same disc as Disc 1 of the UCE set (or the Target edition)....in a regular one disc Blu plastic case....for $19.96....

The "Walmart exclusive" sticker on the front of it lists three bonus features that are NOT on the disc...they are bonus features from the second BD of the UCE set (or the Target edition)....which is not included, as the Walmart version is only one disc...

Oddly enough, the back of the box of the Walmart version only lists a few of the special features that the disc actually has on it....the disc itself has a boatload of extras that are not even listed on the back cover of that single disc release....
Old 09-29-09, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
It should be mentioned that the 50% coupon was not available to all customers.

It was sent out to customers with expiring Borders Visa Cards and not a weekly coupon that Store Managers and Supervisors would be expecting.

Back on topic, I'll probably end up getting the Target Exclusive.
Regardless, they still should have accepted their own coupon that I received as a result of my Visa expiring with them. Borders sucks in my honest opinion that is why I decided not to renew my Visa with them.
Old 09-29-09, 10:59 AM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James

Thank you for the coupon. I purchased the blu-ray box of junk for $42.49 plus tax using the coupon. As people have said it is 50% off list not the sale price. List in store was $84.99 not $89.99 as it was listed on line. The blu-ray is marked as a limited edition of 243,000. The box has your number on it. You need your borders card to get the discount. If you don't have one, you can get it at check out. It is free. I was not sent the coupon and used the link from this thread. The set was on sale for 30% off but as I said the 50% off discount was off the list price. I would have gone to Target, but there are none in NYC and I was afraid it would be sold out if I didn't go the first day it was released.
Target always seems to run out of stock. Not sure how many copies each Target store gets.
Based on what I read below about Target stock, I am glad of my decision. Of course if I should find
the film at Target, I will be happy to return my Borders set.

Last edited by Classic Films; 09-29-09 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-29-09, 11:00 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Just got back from Target.

Got the one and only copy of the 34.99 Wizard of Oz blu-ray at 8:15 AM. (Can you believe they wouldn't stock more? On opening day?)

You get not one, not two, but THREE of the FOUR discs at 34.99. You even get the John Ritter TV movie on the Target edition and the MGM documentary When the Lion Roars.

Isn't that awesome? I think you're only missing the standard-edition version of the movie and the digital copy~!

Last edited by jeffkjoe; 09-29-09 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-29-09, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In case any of you are still curious:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3480

Oh, and it looks like it's $45 on costco.com.
Old 09-29-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

I went to Target as well. The set is three discs, but the big set claims to be five on the box (I think it has the standard DVD and a digital copy that the Target set lacks). Space is a big issue for me, so the Target slipcover version is much preferable over the massive box set. My store had 3-4 copies. BTW, they list this version at MSRP $49.99 so if you want it, pick it up (or at least a rain check) this week or you'd really be overpaying.
Old 09-29-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I prefer the target 3 disc emerald edition over the other big UCE box. Glad Target stepped up and brought out another version. Definitely the one for me.
Old 09-29-09, 11:55 AM

i used the coupon this morning to pick up Casablanca BD. I had no issues using it, although she asked me if I was a teacher??

And staying on topic, my local target decided not to get their exclusive edition and are just carrying the box set... wtf target!
Old 09-29-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got the one and only copy of the 34.99 Wizard of Oz blu-ray at 8:15 AM. (Can you believe they wouldn't stock more? On opening day?)
Got mine at 8:10 - they had 3 copies each version of Wizard of Oz and 4 copies of Gremlins.
Old 09-29-09, 01:17 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

You get not one, not two, but THREE of the FOUR discs at 34.99. You even get the John Ritter TV movie on the Target edition and the MGM documentary When the Lion Roars.

Isn't that awesome? I think you're only missing the standard-edition version of the movie and the digital copy~!
When the Lion Roars was originally a 2-part thing. Does this contain the entire doc, or is it half in this one, half in Gone with the Wind in November?
Old 09-29-09, 01:26 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by cinemaphile
When the Lion Roars was originally a 2-part thing. Does this contain the entire doc, or is it half in this one, half in Gone with the Wind in November?
It is actual a three part 6 hour thing. When released separately it was on 2 discs with part 2 split between disc 1 and 2. On the Wizard of Oz it is one disc as a flipper.

Per the review here at DVD Talk:

The third and final disc in the set is a double-sided DVD featuring When the Lion Roars, a gargantuan six-hour documentary that chronicles the rise and fall of MGM. This 1992 documentary is divided into three segments, each hosted by a deliriously over-the-top Patrick Stewart.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/39772/wizard-of-oz-the/

Last edited by Classic Films; 09-29-09 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-29-09, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
I went to Target as well. The set is three discs, but the big set claims to be five on the box (I think it has the standard DVD and a digital copy that the Target set lacks). Space is a big issue for me, so the Target slipcover version is much preferable over the massive box set. My store had 3-4 copies. BTW, they list this version at MSRP $49.99 so if you want it, pick it up (or at least a rain check) this week or you'd really be overpaying.
The big DVD set is 5 discs; the big Blu set is 4: The 3 discs contained in the Target edition plus the useless digital copy disc.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.