Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

30% off used blu-rays at Hastings

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-09, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts
Re: 30% off used blu-rays at Hastings

wow...just received 45 e-mails of titles being shipped....my job may be in jeopardy when the mailroom sees all of those packages...this is nuts (and so am I for ordering so much)
Old 09-05-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, 45 titles? Are they all Blu-ray's?
Old 09-05-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im about to get in on this. so the 'used' and 'previously viewed' do come in normal bluray cases right?? its not gonna be in rental dvd boxes like @ blockbuster right??
Old 09-05-09, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GenPion
Wow, 45 titles? Are they all Blu-ray's?
No a combination of DVD & Blu-ray...all together I ordered over 70 titles, around 30 of them were Blu-ray.
Old 09-05-09, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Drav3n
im about to get in on this. so the 'used' and 'previously viewed' do come in normal bluray cases right?? its not gonna be in rental dvd boxes like @ blockbuster right??
I'd like to know this as well...
Old 09-05-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm pretty sure when I've ordered from Hastings the 'Used' Blus come in original cases and sometimes the 'PV' Blus came in rental cases. It's been a little while though, they might have changed since then.
Old 09-05-09, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i ordered a couple of used blus recently and except for a couple of case issues, the discs themselves were fine.
Old 09-05-09, 04:56 PM
Cool New Member

Yes, they come in Blu-ray cases. Some of mine came in this strange type of case with what looks like a recycling symbol diecut into the front and rear. Two of my discs were like this and it was the first time I've ever seen that type of case.
Old 09-05-09, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bugula
Yes, they come in Blu-ray cases. Some of mine came in this strange type of case with what looks like a recycling symbol diecut into the front and rear. Two of my discs were like this and it was the first time I've ever seen that type of case.
Those are the new environment friendly cases that some studios are coming out with now....I haven't seen a Blu-ray one yet though.
Old 09-05-09, 08:36 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Jaymole
Those are the new environment friendly cases that some studios are coming out with now....I haven't seen a Blu-ray one yet though.
Wow - thanks for the explanation. Wonder how much plastic they actually save...anyway, I tossed them in favor of the old environmentally unsafe ones.
Old 09-05-09, 09:59 PM
Cool New Member

Just received one of the blu rays i ordered!!! Brand New!!!! it was RUDY I think im gonna make a second Order of blus
Old 09-07-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some really good prices on new titles through this sale.

Gladiator and Braveheart are $13.30 each (both out of stock currently)
State of Play, Duplicity and Sunshine Cleaning are $14 each
Adventureland is $16.80

And so on. Just a heads up to anyone who's interested in cheap prices on new titles
Old 09-07-09, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can also go to Used Prices, filter on Format Blu-Ray, then sort by price... That is how I found quite a few under my price point..
Old 09-07-09, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by b2net
You can also go to Used Prices, filter on Format Blu-Ray, then sort by price... That is how I found quite a few under my price point..
When you filter down to used Blu-Rays, it leaves out A LOT of titles. I browsed through all 700-whatever used Blu titles that show up there, and I didn't see much I wanted. Then on a whim I just started using the search function for specific movies, and it turned up several used Blu-Rays I wanted that didn't show up under the browse section, including all of the ones I listed in my post above.
Old 09-07-09, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Understand... But the others that I found by searching often were not the lower price I desired or out of stock.. Any way you slice it ... it is a good deal price wise... I just hope once I receive the merch it is in good shape..
Old 09-07-09, 05:24 PM

Prices have gone way up from earlier in the sale on most items
Old 09-07-09, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by dan30oly
Yep. I'm glad I got such an excellent order in when I did.
Old 09-07-09, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I got off the phone with their knucklehead CS person to confirm my order. He could not explain why I was charged $8.38 sales tax on a $73 balance total. I told him that is over 11% sale tax which is way too high for Texas.

It appears that Hastings charges the sales tax on your balance before the discount which I think is crappy.
Old 09-07-09, 06:02 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
It appears that Hastings charges the sales tax on your balance before the discount which I think is crappy.
...and also illegal. Fight it and get an adjustment. The discount is not a form of payment (gift certificate, etc), so therefore they can only charge tax on what they are actually going to charge you for the item - the price AFTER discount. Otherwise they are charging more in the name of "tax" than what they will actually have to pay to the government. I'm pretty sure the IRS would not be happy to hear that.
Old 09-07-09, 06:43 PM

I'm not even sure why they are charging tax on my orders as I live in Washington State. There damn sure isn't a Hastings I've ever heard of around here.
Old 09-07-09, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I got my first package in, Revolutionary Road, and the case & disc were both in mint condition. It was as if it was never even played.

1 down, 8 to go!
Old 09-08-09, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cinemaphile
...and also illegal. Fight it and get an adjustment. The discount is not a form of payment (gift certificate, etc), so therefore they can only charge tax on what they are actually going to charge you for the item - the price AFTER discount. Otherwise they are charging more in the name of "tax" than what they will actually have to pay to the government. I'm pretty sure the IRS would not be happy to hear that.
I didn't know that. I'll definitely call them. The high sales tax and shipping charges almost completely wiped out any savings I gained.
Old 09-08-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have yet to receive any shipping notices on my very first order (9/2), so I called customer service and they said that the person forgot to take the order off hold after they rang me and confirmed my information. Due to their mistake, she said she would credit me for the shipping charges which was very nice.

I just hope all my Blu-rays ship from that order as some of them are OOS on the website.
Old 09-08-09, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like prices are back down. Just placed my second order. Picked up:

Valkyrie - $7.97

Yes Man - $6.42

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans - $6.65

Eagle Eye - $6.25

Tropic Thunder - $6.12

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - $6.54

Transporter 3 - $5.84
Old 09-08-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dan30oly
Their prices fluctuate daily, based on supply and demand. They're having a big sale that made it to CAG, here, and SD, among other places, so there's no surprise that the low priced stuff is selling and driving the prices up on remaining inventory. I imagine their stock on used Blu-rays was not very deep.

However, many items have also been dropping in price. Over the past month, I have placed 4 different batches of orders (I say batches because the first orders were part of a B2, G1 for $1 sale, so I placed separate orders to minimize the sales totals). Each time I wound up going back and placing more orders a week or so later because prices had dropped on enough items.

I have about 100 items on my wishlist, and every day at least 3 of them change prices--some of them significantly. (I copy and paste into a spreadsheet to be able to sort it and look for deals.)

I haven't been charged for sales tax on pre-discount prices. However, I HAVE been charged for sales tax on shipping, which I also thought was illegal. You can't charge sales tax for a service--only for merchandise, and only for the selling price of the merchandise. Shipping is a service, right? Nobody charges sales tax on shipping. Very strange.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.