Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

30% off used blu-rays at Hastings

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 30% off used blu-rays at Hastings

I just got the first two items from my order.

The Strangers (BD) - Everything looks great. Disc doesn't look like it's even been out of the case before.

Trailer Park of Terror (DVD) - Came in a two disc Blockbuster style case, even though it's a single disc title. Disc has a sticker around the ring which looks to be a Redbox sticker. Disc has a couple minor scratches but they shouldn't be a problem, I guess it wasn't a popular rental. This may be a dumbass, and veering off-topic, question, but is there an easy way to check if a DVD is alright without having to watch the entire movie?
Old 09-15-09, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got 4 more of my blus from this deal (Sixth Sense, Hellboy II, Beetlejuice and A Bug's Life), and like the first 4, these were perfect. So psyched to finally have A Bug's Life blu, in like-new condition (with slipcover) and at much much less than buying new. Hastings has really impressed me--these used blu-rays have been at another level from secondspin for example. One more blu to go, Narnia Prince Caspian.
Old 09-15-09, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
I can't get the sale to work. I have to add 4 items into my shopping cart to get one for $1. Buy 3?
Could be you have a title in your cart that is not part of the sale..
Old 09-15-09, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffrey r
I got 4 more of my blus from this deal (Sixth Sense, Hellboy II, Beetlejuice and A Bug's Life), and like the first 4, these were perfect. So psyched to finally have A Bug's Life blu, in like-new condition (with slipcover) and at much much less than buying new. Hastings has really impressed me--these used blu-rays have been at another level from secondspin for example. One more blu to go, Narnia Prince Caspian.
Just had to post that you made good choices. I'm not a fan of the first Narnia movie so I haven't seen the second one but the other four are all favorites of mine.
Old 09-16-09, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I found another 11 bubble mailers stuffed into my mail box today. Everything looks good to me. A couple missing digital copy codes, but I honestly don't care. If anyone is curious about a particle title I'm spoilering specific quality details.

Spoiler:
The Rocker (BD) - Brand new. I had to cut the security stickers to open it.

Quarantine (BD) - Normal BD case. Disc is perfect with no scratches at all.

Friday the 13th 1980 (BD) - Normal BD case. Disc is perfect with no scratches at all.

Resident Evil: Degeneration (BD) - Normal BD case. Disc is perfect with no scratches at all.

The Unborn (BD) - Normal BD case. Disc is perfect with no scratches at all. Slipcover was included.

Saw V (BD) - Normal BD case. Movie disc and digital copy disc included and scratch free. Digital copy code missing.

Nick & Norah's Unlimited Playlist (BD) - Normal BD case. Movie disc and digital copy disc included and scratch free. Digital copy code missing.

Dance of the Dead (DVD) - Regular DVD case. Sticker on disc but it's clean and has no scratches.

Black Sheep 2007 (DVD) - Rental style case. Disc has a few very, very light marks but nothing that will be a problem. No stickers on the disc.

Stuntman: Ignition (PS3) - Normal PS3 case. Disc is perfect. Manual is included.

Condemned 2: Bloodshot (PS3) - Normal PS3 case. Disc is perfect. Manual is included.
That only leaves me with two more titles, My Bloody Valentine 3D and The Uninvited. I'm about half expecting MBV to show up without the glasses. Here's hoping I'm proven wrong tomorrow.
Old 09-16-09, 10:20 PM

just got bloody valentine and it was missing the 3D glasses but i think i have a pair from friday the 13th 3D.
Old 09-17-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by b2net
Could be you have a title in your cart that is not part of the sale..
I think that was the issue. My new order worked:

Point Break [Blu-ray] $1
Batman Begins [Blu-ray] $13.23
Fast & Furious [Special Editio $14.27

Pretty good deal!
Old 09-17-09, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I'm still waiting on one Blu Ray (Narnia Prince Caspian) to show up. It shows that it shipped a week ago, but everything else showed up over the weekend and earlier this week. I called and she said I had to wait until the 22nd to report it. Anyone waiting this long for packages?
Old 09-17-09, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Well I'm still waiting on one Blu Ray (Narnia Prince Caspian) to show up. It shows that it shipped a week ago, but everything else showed up over the weekend and earlier this week. I called and she said I had to wait until the 22nd to report it. Anyone waiting this long for packages?
Yeah, one of my orders for 6 Blu-Rays all shipped out on the same day. I got 5 of them one day, and the 6th one 4 days after that. Apparently it shipped from Wyoming, while the others came from a much closer location (I'm in FL).
Old 09-17-09, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received one more today. The Uninvited. It was completely brand new. Original shrinkwrap and everything.
Old 09-17-09, 08:22 PM

I think I am waiting on the Blu Narnia Prince Caspian as well, which was supposedly shipped the same time as my others. I received all 8 of my other ones a few days ago. Strange.
Old 09-17-09, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I placed 2 orders.. The last item from the first order showed up a day after the last item from the second order.... Could be with the postal service and the sent from location in regards to your receive location.
Old 09-18-09, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The shipping has been incredibly quick (many in 2 business days!) and completely ignorant from a business perspective. I paid them roughly $1.10 per item in shipping, and the cheapest item I have received cost them $1.47 to ship up to $7.50 they paid to ship a book to me parcel post!! This doesn't include packaging. None were shipped in groups to save on packaging or postage and none sent media mail. Someone in logistics is going to be fired because they are going to end up negative on many orders.

From my perspective, this turned out to be a mixed deal. Some stuff showed up looking basically new........while other stuff had cracked cases/obviously very old rental copies with beat-up boxes despite listed as used. Titles advertised as coming with digital copies were not great either, some not being included at all, some included but no code. After factoring in shipping charges and tax, my bottom line price wasn't significantly better than other places that are more consistent and accurate.

I might use them again, but only for a basic item (Definitely not for anything where I want a slipcase, digital copy, 3D glasses, 3-disc special edition when a 1-disc is also made, etc). For me, the books ended up best as they had some rare stuff that I couldn't find used anywhere else at very good prices.
Old 09-18-09, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jkzahn
The shipping has been incredibly quick (many in 2 business days!) and completely ignorant from a business perspective. I paid them roughly $1.10 per item in shipping, and the cheapest item I have received cost them $1.47 to ship up to $7.50 they paid to ship a book to me parcel post!! This doesn't include packaging. None were shipped in groups to save on packaging or postage and none sent media mail. Someone in logistics is going to be fired because they are going to end up negative on many orders.
They can't ship items in groups. Look closely and you'll notice they all come from different zip codes. Apparently their used stock isn't centralized and these are shipping from individual Hastings around the country. It's stupid, but I guess it's how they do things.

For my order I paid $16.99 shipping for 15 items. I've received 14 of those items now and the total postage has been $24.90 already. The last item may put it over $27. I had bitched about the high shipping but I can let it slide now.

I honestly don't understand how they make money here. On smaller items they have to be losing. I had one DVD in my order that was $2.05 + $0.99 shipping. After the postage cost they only made $1.31 on the item, and that doesn't even take into account the bubble mailer or the price paid to the customer to buy the used DVD in the first place. There's no way they keep keep going this way, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.
Old 09-19-09, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's one more tip I found on another forum. Until the end of today, you can use 8AD23 code to get $5 off a merchandise total of $25 or more. The coupon won't deduct from your order UNTIL you actually do sign-up for their e-mail newsletter (it will apply to your order but won't deduct the $5 otherwise, I tried it).

This made it worthwhile for me to take one more dip.

ALSO, I did notice that it groups the B2G1 by category (music, books, movies). So, I had 3 $8 Blu-rays but this wasn't enough to reach the $25 threshold. I then added 3 $3 books. The B2G1 gave one of the $8 BLU for $1 and one of the $3 books for $1. Worked very nicely.
Old 09-19-09, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
They can't ship items in groups. Look closely and you'll notice they all come from different zip codes. Apparently their used stock isn't centralized and these are shipping from individual Hastings around the country. It's stupid, but I guess it's how they do things.
I know the inventory comes from different stores but they could make minor improvements and save alot of money. I ordered 10 items and they came in 10 different shipments from 2 different zip codes, 1 of them being my own. They should have shipped 1 package from each store instead of 5 from each store.
Old 09-23-09, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I never got my package and sent them an e mail yesterday. I guess we'll see what happens from here. What sucks is they said that orders over $50 have tracking numbers. Well my order was over $50, but since everything got shipped separately they didn't have tracking numbers. Hopefully they send out a replacement copy.