Last edit by: TheBang
deleted
Print Wikipost

Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-18, 03:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

I should escalate to corporate. Yet there's only so many hours in a day and so many things wrong at my local store. It would be too time consuming. That store cannot even provide shopping baskets or have correct prices ring up (got called a liar about that and NO apology when I walked the "Customer Service" supervisor over to the shelf and showed her the price!). What's funny about this Walmart is that it replaced a Walmart just a bit down the road in Milwaukee, but this one is in a bit more affluent suburb and much closer to some very affluent areas. They sold it to the suburb as more "upscale" Walmart, yet it's dirtier, messier and more poorly managed than most of the Milwaukee locations in much more impoverished areas. Yet, it's like 2 minutes from work, so I end up there a lot.

I'm a bit disappointed that I paid $9 more for the Best Buy IAW Steelbook, but I do like it. Here's hoping WM repeats the $24.96 price for 4K for Solo and Ant-Man and The Wasp, since I'm not interested in any of the exclusives for those titles.

Last edited by popegregFKAgoblin23; 08-16-18 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Off topic
Old 08-16-18, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

That's one of the problems with first best buy, then the net & now Amazon & Super D putting most stores out of business; no competition. I wouldn't have dreamed of shopping at Walmart four years ago for moral reasons that I still have; but we don't have a lot of choices anymore.

Most of the time Amazon's prices are nothing to rave about anymore; especially since they started charging sales tax. Lately, I've ordering more from the UK than from the USA. It would seem their postal rates are lower than ours.........
Old 08-16-18, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by goblin23
...What I have done for a lot of releases is buy them release day, usually morning, assuming they can be bothered to put new stuff out (I've stood around many times 2-3 hours after opening waiting for them to find the new releases in the back). I then order it for a lower price on amazon (or go to Best Buy or Target) later in the week, then return the second one to Walmart. Much less hassle for me!...
Wouldn't it be less hassle, and no having to deal with WM CS and slow service, just to order from Amazon or go to BB or Target later anyway?
Old 08-16-18, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Wouldn't it be less hassle, and no having to deal with WM CS and slow service, just to order from Amazon or go to BB or Target later anyway?
Yeah except sometimes I want something on release day and I'm usually done with work early Tuesday mornings before Target (none close anyway) or Best Buy open. Same with Walmart store pickup, not until 8 and I'm usually off areound 6:30-7am. Amazon won't show up until afternoon and I want to watch it that morning, which for me (as a night shift worker) is my late afternoon to early evening.

I know I shouldn't do it, it's an abuse their return policy. But it's effing Walmart, they've killed the competition.

Sorry to extend the off topic chatter.

Last edited by popegregFKAgoblin23; 08-16-18 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-24-18, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Not really a deal, but Walmart is ending their Savings Catcher program by the end of October. If you want to continue it, you must use their Walmart Pay App for every registered purchase.

This appears to be a move by Walmart ending paper receipts for this program.
Old 09-24-18, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

It also eliminates the ability to scan their receipts into other point earning apps like receipt hog and iobatta
Old 09-24-18, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Not really a deal, but Walmart is ending their Savings Catcher program by the end of October. If you want to continue it, you must use their Walmart Pay App for every registered purchase.

This appears to be a move by Walmart ending paper receipts for this program.
I got that email. I pretty much quit using it with the last change they made. It's a kludge anyway - just give me the lowest price without having me jump through hoops or use some stupid, proprietary, app to get them.

When you add their removal of price-matching it looks like they're trying to force all electronic payment/receipts down your throat. Forget that crap. I'll use my CC without linking it. My phone is for making/receiving phone calls - I don't need, nor want, it becoming my portable computer/cash register.
Old 09-25-18, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I got that email. I pretty much quit using it with the last change they made. It's a kludge anyway - just give me the lowest price without having me jump through hoops or use some stupid, proprietary, app to get them.

When you add their removal of price-matching it looks like they're trying to force all electronic payment/receipts down your throat. Forget that crap. I'll use my CC without linking it. My phone is for making/receiving phone calls - I don't need, nor want, it becoming my portable computer/cash register.
I hear you, this will end my participation using the program.
Old 09-25-18, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure they dumped a bunch of money into creating the Walmart pay app/whatever, and are trying to drive adoption among the customers to increase/improve their ROI for their shareholders.
Old 10-17-18, 01:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed a few walmarts in my area are carrying steelbooks that used to be best buy exclusives now with a walmart exclusive sticker. Ones like Logan, Alien Covenant, John Wick 1&2, The Karate Kid, Deadpool, Leon The Professional, Independence day 1&2, War For The Planet of The Apes, and they had spots for several more i cant remember at the moment they varied in price from 9.99-19.99
Old 10-17-18, 05:32 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Why does Walmart keep cannabalizing the major blu-ray releases? In all other stores you get "Multi-Screen Format" and Digital HD releases, but not at Walmart. At Walmart, they've contracted for cover/slipcovers without the "Multi-Screen Format" and Digital HD, just plain old Blu-Ray on the cover/slipcover. It makes me less likely to buy any of the new major releases at Walmart. Why would I, when I can get more for the same price elsewhere?
Old 10-17-18, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kd5
Why does Walmart keep cannabalizing the major blu-ray releases? In all other stores you get "Multi-Screen Format" and Digital HD releases, but not at Walmart. At Walmart, they've contracted for cover/slipcovers without the "Multi-Screen Format" and Digital HD, just plain old Blu-Ray on the cover/slipcover. It makes me less likely to buy any of the new major releases at Walmart. Why would I, when I can get more for the same price elsewhere?
Agreed it rarely makes sense, only because these Walmart editions are rarely priced cheaper than their competitors.
Old 10-17-18, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
Maybe to do with licensing of digital content. Plus, the typical customer at Walmart isn't looking to download digital content (like me for example, I could care less when it comes to movies but I do like having a television series available), and only cares about playing a disc in their basic Blu-ray player.
Old 10-18-18, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Old 10-18-18, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 613 Likes on 451 Posts

Mill Creek recently tweeted a pic of one of those for LAST ACTION HERO, a Walmart exclusive apparently. I'm assuming there are more?

EDIT: scratch that. Apparently there are, and they're just slipcovers or, in some cases, 'faceplate' cards. I thought they might've went all in with big oversize cases like the one for Stranger Things Season 1, but I should've known better .

List from some other place:
Spoiler:
Fox (Slip cover)
Big Trouble in Little China
Edward Scissorhands
Home Alone
Predator
Super Troopers
The Princess Bride
The Sandlot

Lionsgate (Slip cover)
3:10 to Yuma (2007)
Dirty Dancing
First Blood
Halloween
Highlander
John Wick
Meatballs
Power Rangers (DVD)
Terminator 2
The Crow
Total Recall (1990)
Young Guns

MGM (Slip cover)
Overboard
Space Balls

Mill creek (Slip cover)
Hardbodies
Happy Birthday to Me
Krull
Last Action Hero
Who's Harry Crumb
Silent Rage

Paramount (Slip cover)
Airplane
Beverly Hills Cop
Fatal Attraction
Flashdance

Universal (Face plate)
American Graffiti
Scarface
Smokey and the Bandit
The Mummy
Waterworld

Warner Bros (Face plate)
Beetlejuice
Creed
It (2017)
Kong: Skull Island
The Goonies
The Legend of Tarzan
Space Jam
Stephen King's It (1990)

Sony (Slip cover)
Heavy Metal
Taxi Driver

Last edited by Brian T; 10-18-18 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-18-18, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not a big fan of special packaging but think that is pretty cool. I wouldn't do anything to get a special package or slipcover but if I saw that on the shelf, and was thinking about getting the title someday, that would push me to pick it up.
Old 10-18-18, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Maybe to do with licensing of digital content. Plus, the typical customer at Walmart isn't looking to download digital content (like me for example, I could care less when it comes to movies but I do like having a television series available), and only cares about playing a disc in their basic Blu-ray player.
I personally don't care about digital copies. If the price is the same, I'd rather get the blu/dvd multi simply because I only have 1 blu player & I have several dvd players.
Old 10-19-18, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brian T

EDIT: scratch that. Apparently there are, and they're just slipcovers or, in some cases, 'faceplate' cards. I thought they might've went all in with big oversize cases like the one for Stranger Things Season 1, but I should've known better .

List from some other place:
Spoiler:
Fox (Slip cover)
Big Trouble in Little China
Edward Scissorhands
Home Alone
Predator
Super Troopers
The Princess Bride
The Sandlot

Lionsgate (Slip cover)
3:10 to Yuma (2007)
Dirty Dancing
First Blood
Halloween
Highlander
John Wick
Meatballs
Power Rangers (DVD)
Terminator 2
The Crow
Total Recall (1990)
Young Guns

MGM (Slip cover)
Overboard
Space Balls

Mill creek (Slip cover)
Hardbodies
Happy Birthday to Me
Krull
Last Action Hero
Who's Harry Crumb
Silent Rage

Paramount (Slip cover)
Airplane
Beverly Hills Cop
Fatal Attraction
Flashdance

Universal (Face plate)
American Graffiti
Scarface
Smokey and the Bandit
The Mummy
Waterworld

Warner Bros (Face plate)
Beetlejuice
Creed
It (2017)
Kong: Skull Island
The Goonies
The Legend of Tarzan
Space Jam
Stephen King's It (1990)

Sony (Slip cover)
Heavy Metal
Taxi Driver
Are these particularly low priced, or are you mentioning them due to packaging?
Old 10-19-18, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 613 Likes on 451 Posts

Just for the packaging mainly. I don't collect slipcovers, but when DJariya posted the John Wick cover, it reminded me that I read about the Last Action Hero cover a while back. Personally I don't collect them, but thought the designs were interesting. According to a video someone posted at the other site, the prices range a bit: $5.00, $7.88, $9.96 and up.
Old 11-21-18, 09:29 PM

Looks like the ad is active but no movies yet?
Old 11-21-18, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by rwsharpjr
Looks like the ad is active but no movies yet?
The movies say in store only in the ad.
Old 11-21-18, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by mitch079
The movies say in store only in the ad.
Are ya sure?

I don't see it anywhere(on the paper copy or on the ad on the app)......
Old 11-21-18, 11:10 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Movies..

https://www.walmart.com/m/deals/chri...d-books/movies
Old 11-22-18, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Site has been hosed ever since BF Deals went live. One hour later jumped on over to BB.com & no problems & brought about 20 Blu-rays.
Old 11-22-18, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by rwsharpjr
Are ya sure?

I don't see it anywhere(on the paper copy or on the ad on the app)......
I saw it as in store only when I clicked on each section of the ad while trying to find if they had a link to a full list of the movies in each one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.