Print Wikipost

Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-12, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by mcfly
About 3 years ago I returned a factory sealed video game I bought at Walmart but had misplaced the receipt. I had the absolute worst time getting store credit for it. It was a fight, a hassle, and took me explaining down to the minute when I bought it.

On another visit about 2 years ago, I saw a woman who walked out of the store with a Dyson vacuum she stole, come back in to the store, then claimed she was returning it and wanted store credit. Their cameras were malfunctioning that day, so the only evidence they had was what a plain clothes security guard saw. The woman was pulling the race card, then had her husband and some of his friends come in and it turned in to a racial profiling argument.

The only reason I got the whole story is because there was only one cashier and I was right behind them, so I had to wait for this whole ordeal to be over before I could get an adjustment on something.

In the end they gave the woman store credit to shut her up and to move on with the line, which was now close to 20 people deep.

Walmart's return policy isn't as lax as it used to be. It really depends on who you get to do the transaction and whether or not they want to give you a hard time.
Anything over $50 is a hassle because they need a manager to come over and approve it. With a regular sealed BD, they won't even flinch.
Old 07-06-12, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

I returned Poseiden Adventure Blu today on day 91. She had to over ride the register or something to do it.
Old 07-06-12, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whotony
I returned Poseiden Adventure Blu today on day 91. She had to over ride the register or something to do it.
I'm impressed she let you. I've never tried that. I've found receipts 1 day after they expired, and was tempted to return something, but never tried.
Old 07-06-12, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Todd B.
He's wrong. It's 90 days for movies, as long as it's unopened.

http://www.walmartstores.com/7658.aspx
Wow, I never knew this:
All perennials, tree and shrubs must be returned within 1 year with a receipt to obtain a refund or exchange.

I doubt I'll ever buy something like that at WM, but a 1-year return policy amazes me. I guarantee I'd lose the receipt within 6 months....

As for returning BD's, some of my WM's no longer allow BD returns, and others implemented a $25 return policy instead of $50. WM blows...
Old 07-06-12, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
As for returning BD's, some of my WM's no longer allow BD returns, and others implemented a $25 return policy instead of $50. WM blows...
You are talking about BD returns without a receipt aren't you? I think they will accept the return with a receipt, but may treat you as a criminal and unwrap the package thinking you are going to rewrap amd steal the disc -- even if there is a security sticker on the package. I'm almost convinced that studios stopped putting security stickers on new products so they could easily rewrap returned merchandise and sell it as new.

I did have to argue with a CSR that would not accept a DVD back because it was an electronics item and therefore had a reduced (I think 30 or 45 day) return window. The manager finally made a "one-time exception" , but I was never able to get him to admit to what the policy really was --
Old 07-06-12, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
You are talking about BD returns without a receipt aren't you?
Yes, I was referring to without a receipt...
Old 07-06-12, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Props to our peeps and please keep your receipts, we are suburban homeboys!
Old 07-06-12, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As fun as the returns discussion is... I have a Walmart Blu-Ray issue:

Since none of the B&M ads listed Treasure Planet (or Home of the Brave but I'm not interested in that one), I missed looking at my notes until today that both of these BDs came out on Tuesday. I called Walmart and the electronics guy told me they have not seen Treasure Planet BD this week and had no idea that it was released or if they will ever carry it! Treasure Planet wasn't THAT bad to be unworthy of being sold at Walmart or appearing in any ads.

I had hoped Walmart or someone would have it for $20 in an ad (so I could PM it at Walmart) and then use my $10 off Disney coupon (no other Disney BDs are coming out before it expires this month). I figured for sure Walmart would carry this, but it would be $24.99 so I'd waste half of my $10 off coupon overpaying $5 + tax beyond Amazon's current $20 price.

Has anyone seen Treasure Planet BD at their Walmart and if so how much was it? As once again there is no weekly Target or BB Blu-Ray thread, could someone also tell me how much Treasure Planet is at Target and BB B&M? Target.com says $20.96 and BB.com says $24.99.

I have a feeling I'm screwed on my Walmart Disney $10 BD coupon. It seems I can always count on Walmart to carry almost nothing I want.
Old 07-06-12, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Notes?
Old 07-06-12, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana

Has anyone seen Treasure Planet BD at their Walmart and if so how much was it?
it's not on our release schedule, so Wal-Mart won't be getting it anytime soon.
Old 07-06-12, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a feeling I'm screwed on my Walmart Disney $10 BD coupon. It seems I can always count on Walmart to carry almost nothing I want.
Where did you get the coupon?
Old 07-06-12, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Where did you get the coupon?
Probably from the John Carter Blu release. There was a $10 coupon offer for another Disney title in the case only at Wal-Mart.
Old 07-07-12, 06:36 AM

Finally came across one of three disc Star Trek 2009 for $5.00 at a local Walmart (also can finally replace that horrible Target exclusive ship DVD case) while I was looking for Treasure Planet (which I ended up getting from Target) earlier this week. They placed it on one of the spill over racks near the video games. Had three of them when I was there. I also noticed they were took down the 3 Movie Blu-ray display. I was going to get the Lost Boys one while I was there ,but they said they'd already packed them for shipping back to the distrobution center. I ended up using my $10 check from John Carter for the Meet the Robinsons Blu-ray/DVD combo which made it $10.00 after. Figured I'd better use it before I forget about it. I talked with the guy while there about them not getting things in and as I figured it really depends on what sells at each store or if they have the space which explained why the three nearby Walmart stores usually get different stock.

Back to the Star Trek three disc Blu-ray for $5.00. The Walmart I found it in I was just in two weeks prior while waiting for my Doctors appointment to get closer. They did not have it at that time. Yet they got some in later. So it'd probably not hurt to go back and check if you are not to far off from a Walmart you've already checked. Look every place in the store they might stick it to as their has been reports of them sticking any $5.00 movie in the $5.00 DVD bins and on the racks near the front of the store some Walmart stores have.
Old 07-07-12, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice
it's not on our release schedule, so Wal-Mart won't be getting it anytime soon.
Wow. So no Walmarts in the US got Treasure Planet BD on its release week (I assume the same for Home on the Range BD)? I wasn't sure if it was just my nearest store, but if you work there or have access to the release schedule and it's not on it then I guess it's all Walmarts. To think I passed on Treasure Planet in my Amazon Gold Box deal because I figured I'd use my $10 off (John Carter) coupon on this at Walmart and then Walmart won't even carry it.

I sure hope I can find some reasonably priced BD at Walmart that I don't already own to use that $10 off coupon. Chances of that are slim (I already have Meet the Robinsons mentioned earlier).

Psychopuppet420, what was Target's B&M price for Treasure Planet BD?
Old 07-07-12, 10:54 AM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by psychopuppet420
Finally came across one of three disc Star Trek 2009 for $5.00 at a local Walmart (also can finally replace that horrible Target exclusive ship DVD case) while I was looking for Treasure Planet (which I ended up getting from Target) earlier this week. They placed it on one of the spill over racks near the video games. Had three of them when I was there. I also noticed they were took down the 3 Movie Blu-ray display. I was going to get the Lost Boys one while I was there ,but they said they'd already packed them for shipping back to the distrobution center. I ended up using my $10 check from John Carter for the Meet the Robinsons Blu-ray/DVD combo which made it $10.00 after. Figured I'd better use it before I forget about it. I talked with the guy while there about them not getting things in and as I figured it really depends on what sells at each store or if they have the space which explained why the three nearby Walmart stores usually get different stock.

Back to the Star Trek three disc Blu-ray for $5.00. The Walmart I found it in I was just in two weeks prior while waiting for my Doctors appointment to get closer. They did not have it at that time. Yet they got some in later. So it'd probably not hurt to go back and check if you are not to far off from a Walmart you've already checked. Look every place in the store they might stick it to as their has been reports of them sticking any $5.00 movie in the $5.00 DVD bins and on the racks near the front of the store some Walmart stores have.
what CAN help a lot of us is if you mention the location of your Walmart
Old 07-07-12, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
what CAN help a lot of us is if you mention the location of your Walmart
There's still a number of copies of Star Trek located at the front of the Shelton, CT location.
Old 07-07-12, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by mcfly
On another visit about 2 years ago, I saw a woman who walked out of the store with a Dyson vacuum she stole, come back in to the store, then claimed she was returning it and wanted store credit. Their cameras were malfunctioning that day, so the only evidence they had was what a plain clothes security guard saw. The woman was pulling the race card, then had her husband and some of his friends come in and it turned in to a racial profiling argument.
That's funny...the things we see at WalMart. I recently witnessed a woman trying to get a piece of jewlery out of layaway but she didn't have her drivers license. She was arguing with the WalMart associate and trying to use her tattoo as identification. She said, and I quote, "Ah am who Ah am. Why would Ah have mah name tattooed on mah damn leg if Ah ain't who Ah am?!". It was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.
Old 07-07-12, 11:48 AM

Wow. So no Walmarts in the US got Treasure Planet BD on its release week (I assume the same for Home on the Range BD)? I wasn't sure if it was just my nearest store, but if you work there or have access to the release schedule and it's not on it then I guess it's all Walmarts.
Yes, I work in the electronics dept overnight (I put out the new releases, so I have access to the company's release schedule). Neither Treasure Planet nor Home on the Range were on our schedule. And it does apply to all Wal-Marts. That's not saying we won't get them in the future, but definitely not on release day, nor in enough time to use your coupon.
Old 07-07-12, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by psychopuppet420
As far as the Star Trek and Transformers 2 Blu-Ray, It's a definite YMMV. When we got those in our store on their respective release dates, they were releases that we could NOT send back to the distribution center (some big releases Wal-Mart buys to own, rather than the consignment deal for the others). Therefore, however many each store got in initally was the amount that they would receive, without any more shipments of them coming in.

They did this price drop to try to get rid of the stock that was sitting in the backroom and hasn't sold. My store personally had a ton of both releases that have been sitting boxed up in the back room since the release. It was one of those titles that they overestimated sales and we got stuck with whatever didn't sell. So depending on your closest store's Electronics Dept. Manager's diligence (and however many were left over), you will or will not see them out on the shelf. It is not a guarantee that all stores will have this.
Old 07-07-12, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Indy Jones Fan
That's funny...the things we see at WalMart. I recently witnessed a woman trying to get a piece of jewlery out of layaway but she didn't have her drivers license. She was arguing with the WalMart associate and trying to use her tattoo as identification. She said, and I quote, "Ah am who Ah am. Why would Ah have mah name tattooed on mah damn leg if Ah ain't who Ah am?!". It was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.
Pics or it didn't happen. Unless you've already posted it on PeopleofWalmart.
Old 07-07-12, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice
Yes, I work in the electronics dept overnight (I put out the new releases, so I have access to the company's release schedule). Neither Treasure Planet nor Home on the Range were on our schedule. And it does apply to all Wal-Marts. That's not saying we won't get them in the future, but definitely not on release day, nor in enough time to use your coupon.
Thanks. I called another larger Walmart and they didn't know about Treasure Planet either. However, I mentioned the Transformers 2 $5 BD and the lady said she had 1 in her hands, so I may go for that. I guess I'll see if Walmart has any Disney BDs I want and don't have for my $10 coupon, but since I usually buy animated Disney BDs on release week chances are small I'll find something I want. Otherwise I'll just have to hope that before 7/31 that Walmart decides to get Treasure Planet. Or maybe I should just order from Amazon because on Sunday they will probably jack the TP price from $19.96 to $24.96.

I checked DVD-Basen, Amazon, and Google for Treasure Planet reviews (as well as the Blade series people have talked about). I couldn't find any listings of extras on Blade Trinity, but I managed to find the rest. I assume none of these Blu-Rays is missing any extras from the previous DVDs (except Blade is missing the isolated score and some galleries)?
Old 07-07-12, 01:31 PM

Walmart needs to start implementing a stricter return policy like Target and Kmart. If someone wanted to exchange their child for store credit, Walmart would acquiesce.

I work at the service desk and 90% of the DVD/BD returns we get are always opened & accompanied by "This doesn't work..." from the customer who just wanted to watch a movie for free. The looks on their faces when they are told they can only exchange it for the same title are priceless. Even better is when they bring up the exchange and we open it so they can't return it for cash/store credit.

Save your receipts. Just stick them in a single envelope. It will eliminate most stress and the associate processing your return will love you. At least I would.
Old 07-07-12, 05:59 PM

I was able to get a Transformers 2 BD for $5, but Walmart didn't have any Blade or Blade Trinity BDs. I guess only certain Walmarts got them?

I assume the $9.99 price will jump up tomorrow? If I had seen them at that price with the movie cash, I probably would've gotten them.

Oh yes, and I looked carefully at the handful of Disney BDs they carry in stock... maybe 10 at most. I own every single one of them, so unless someone knows of another Disney BD release before 8/5 (one that they will actually bother to carry), I guess my $10 coupon is going to get wasted. Thanks Walmart for having such a great inventory and selection! All I got is the Transformers BD and food (the latter being what Walmart is most useful for and as happens too often they rang up an extra item I didn't buy and ripped me a couple dollars... unfortunately checking the receipt in detail as you leave the line is not easy).

EDIT: I just looked up that Pete's Dragon BD (one of my all-time favorite Disney movies) comes out on 8/2, so one would think: my problem is solved, I'll use my $10 off coupon then, but who wants to bet that Walmart won't carry Pete's Dragon either? I don't suppose anyone will know (least of all anyone at Walmart) if Walmart will carry Pete's Dragon until 8/2? I bet it won't show up in any ads either.

Last edited by Manzana; 07-07-12 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-07-12, 06:36 PM

Found Transformers Revenge of the Fallen and Star Trek Blus! I thought they didn't have these again after browsing the main movies section, but Carson, Long Beach Walmart has a separate rack for these blus , and there's plenty for now at the back-end near the wall. Almost missed Star Trek too even though the ST rack was close to the Transformers rack. Good luck!
Old 07-07-12, 08:30 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by DVDGamer
Found Transformers Revenge of the Fallen and Star Trek Blus! I thought they didn't have these again after browsing the main movies section, but Carson, Long Beach Walmart has a separate rack for these blus , and there's plenty for now at the back-end near the wall. Almost missed Star Trek too even though the ST rack was close to the Transformers rack. Good luck!
thanks so much. got the Transformers at the Westminster Walmart but this one's close too. let me see if I can get there tomorrow to pick up a copy of the Startrek

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.