DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/560355-walmart-walmart-com-discounts-deals-blu-ray.html)

laidbacklarkin 06-22-17 02:52 PM

Re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Brian T (Post 13101089)
On a whim, I typed "Pickup Discount" into the Walmart search box, which took me to a separate section of the site that appears to contain everything that includes the discount, and you can narrow the search to movies, and then further to Blu-ray. Not sure if these links will work, but those steps should be helpful:

Blu-ray:
https://www.walmart.com/browse/0?cat...hProductResult

All movies:
https://www.walmart.com/browse/0?cat...hProductResult

You still have to go to individual pages to find out the discount, but it's a bit easier this way.

Others spotted:

Star Trek 3 3D - $14.09
Die Hard 5-movie collection - ~@20
Godzilla 1984 - $6.00
Evil Ed (Arrow) - $16.30
Handmaid's Tale (Shout) - $14.65
Return of the Living Dead III - $18.00

Also, looks like Amazon's matching that price (or close) on Angry Red Planet

My wallet's starting to tremble . . .

If Digital copies don't matter, the Die Hard Legacy Collection is £10.00 at Amazon uk. VAT stripped off makes it £8.33 + S/H to the USA. AM not sure how it works out for shipping to Canada. By itself, its not attractive given the shipping charge, however if you have a bunch of items you wanna get, it makes for a good price (granted still only a few dollars under this current US price of $20)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DDVCDB2

Brian T 06-22-17 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin (Post 13101118)
If Digital copies don't matter, the Die Hard Legacy Collection is £10.00 at Amazon uk. VAT stripped off makes it £8.33 + S/H to the USA. AM not sure how it works out for shipping to Canada.

Not really on my list at the moment -- still foolishly hoping for remasters some day -- but the packaging on that U.K. set looks a lot like the previous U.S. 5-pack that didn't have the unrated versions of the last two films included. Can't find anything on the Amazon U.K. listing that specifies either way.

laidbacklarkin 06-22-17 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Brian T (Post 13101164)
Not really on my list at the moment -- still foolishly hoping for remasters some day -- but the packaging on that U.K. set looks a lot like the previous U.S. 5-pack that didn't have the unrated versions of the last two films included. Can't find anything on the Amazon U.K. listing that specifies either way.

true that. I will pay $20 JUST for'Die Hard' if there's a new remaster. And yes, its the same legacy collection set as the one released in the US. Just like you, wont pay a penny without a remastered set

Brian T 06-23-17 09:02 AM

Kept a few things in my carts at Walmart and Amazon to see if the drops continued, and indeed they have. Not spectacular, and Walmart is lower across the board with their cart shedding another $3.00 or so over night. Amazon seems to trail by about 30 cents in most cases.

STREETS OF FIRE
Walmart $14.76
Amazon $15.06

THEY LIVE BY NIGHT
Walmart $17.23
Amazon $17.58

ANGRY RED PLANET
Walmart $13.01
Amazon $13.28

WORLD WITHOUT END
Walmart 10.84
Amazon 11.06

VALLEY OF THE GWANGI
Walmart 10.27
Amazon $10.45

Those last two are also "Prime exclusives" at Amazon, which makes a Walmart purchase that much more likely for me. It's just a matter of when to hit that button. :lol:

Also:

RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD 3
Walmart $17.65
Amazon $18.01

GODZILLA 1984
Walmart $5.77
Amazon $5.89

The previously mentioned DIE HARD COLLECTION (rated/unrated) has gone back up at Walmart, and off sale altogether from Amazon, so I guess that one reached it's limit one way or another.

laidbacklarkin 06-23-17 11:12 AM

This is a nice game. am going to bite today being unsure of how much lower these can go before being taken off the promotional list and/or going OOS (like the 'Before Trilogy' on Amazon)

Brian T 06-23-17 12:19 PM

Just noticed that STREETS OF FIRE has now become a "Prime exclusive" as well, so Walmart's the one . . . eventually . . . eventually . . . eventually . . . :)

Classic Films 06-23-17 12:46 PM

Amazon has matched "They Live By Night". $17.23. Its one of the titles I keep cancelling and reordering.

Brian T 06-23-17 02:17 PM

Amazon matched Angry Red Planet and Valley of the Gwangi, too, but as mentioned, the latter is restricted to Prime members. I'm surprised they haven't moved They Live By Night behind that wall already.

I ended up taking Walmart's bait this time around, and I'm sure by tomorrow morning I'll wish I'd waited :lol: :

They Live By Night $17.23
Streets of Fire $14.76
The Angry Red Planet $13.01
The Valley of Gwangi $10.27
World Without End $10.84
Total: $70.08

laidbacklarkin 06-23-17 04:29 PM

Bit on:
Streets of Fire: $14.46
Angry Red Planet: $12.75

Amazon's perhaps getting tired of tracking and matching, perhaps - ARP is now $17.98 there

kahuna 06-23-17 05:43 PM

As far as I know Walmart does not offer Free Pickup + Discount here in HI. Yes they to have free pick-up, but 90% of the time the item is never in stock. But I have never seen the discount offer.

rwsharpjr 06-24-17 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by kahuna (Post 13102031)
As far as I know Walmart does not offer Free Pickup + Discount here in HI. Yes they to have free pick-up, but 90% of the time the item is never in stock. But I have never seen the discount offer.

Don't know why they don't, but it says right on the banner on walmart.com that they don't offer the discount in AK and HI.

DVD Polizei 06-25-17 09:24 AM

Return Of The Living Dead 3 (Limited Edition) (Vestron Collector's Series) (Blu-ray) (Widescreen) $17.65
Streets of Fire (Collector's Edition) (Blu-ray) $19.58
The Thing (The Collector's Edition) (Blu-ray) $13.55

~$55 or so (where I am currently, a few bucks in tax).

Paid more for Streets of Fire, but I'd pay $100 for that, as Diane Lane has been my secret crush since I was a kid. :)

<strike>I bought the Vestron version of ROTLD III. I realize Shout Factory has more extras and I'll probably get than one as well later, but this has the Unrated Cut. I didn't see where SF has the Unrated cut.</strike> [my mistake]

Amazon has been royally fucking up with their shipments to me lately along with USPS tossing their packages on the doorstep which does not help matters...which is another reason I ordered from Walmart so I can see the stuff at the store, and return it right there if I need to (ripped slips, etc.).

OldBoy 06-25-17 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 13102634)
Paid more for Streets of Fire, but I'd pay $100 for that, as Diane Lane has been my secret crush since I was a kid. :)

loved her since The Outsiders...

DVD Polizei 06-25-17 05:38 PM

Walmart also has:

The Transformers: The Movie (30th Anniversary Edition) (Steelbook) (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD) (Widescreen) for $14.21 but if you choose P/U you can get it for $9.04 (not including tax).

joltman 06-26-17 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 13102634)
I bought the Vestron version of ROTLD III. I realize Shout Factory has more extras and I'll probably get than one as well later, but this has the Unrated Cut. I didn't see where SF has the Unrated cut.

Shout released the first one, not the third one. The Vestron is the only release of the third one.

DVD Polizei 06-26-17 12:49 PM

My goodness, you're correct. I totally missed that. Thanks for the clarification. Looks like I'll be getting the SF version as well.

coyoteblue 06-26-17 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 13102799)
Walmart also has:

The Transformers: The Movie (30th Anniversary Edition) (Steelbook) (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD) (Widescreen) for $14.21 but if you choose P/U you can get it for $9.04 (not including tax).

I bit for store pickup. The digital HD is VHX, not ultraviolet (so no Vudu, etc...), but my MST3K digital rewards is on VHX so I'm already set up.

PhantomStranger 06-26-17 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 13102799)
Walmart also has:

The transfer is awesome and the steelbook is one of the coolest in recent memory.

mattysemo247 06-27-17 12:26 PM

It looks like Walmart is adding a new end cap with 40+ blu rays for $4.96. Here is the list from the other site.

Spoiler:
6 Souls
88 Minutes
American Psycho
American Ultra
Argo
The Arrival
Bangkok Dangerous
Big Trouble in Little China
The Boondock Saints
Brothers
The Company Men
Crank/Crank 2: High Voltage/Transporter 3
Erased
Escape Plan
Extraction
Frailty
Gangster Squad
The Hangover
The Hangover II
Hunt to Kill
Kickboxer
The King's Speech
The Last Samurai
Let Me In
The Magnificent Seven (1960)
Marauders
Never Back Down
Officer Down
Punisher: War Zone
Rambo III
Reservoir Dogs
The Sandlot
Righteous Kill
Saw
Scream
Snitch/Reasonable Doubt/Alex Cross
Source Code
Vendetta
Way of the Gun
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
The Baytown Outlaws
Kinght and Day
Robots
The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box
10,000 BC
Man on Fire
Ninja Assassin
Wrath of the Titans
Red Dawn

DVD Polizei 07-01-17 04:50 PM

Picked up my order today and was pleasantly surprised that all my SF titles had slipcovers. Unlike ordering directly from SF or Amazon.

Might be a regular thing for me.

js2shops 07-02-17 08:55 AM

Some decent titles in that bunch. Looks like a bunch of WB and Artisan releases, mostly.

Brian T 07-05-17 09:23 AM

Caltiki The Immortal Monster (Arrow) - $15.41 (after $7.71 pickup discount)

Creepshow 2 (Arrow) - $15.45 (after $4.64 pickup discount)

Pulse (Arrow) - $16.37 (after $6.60 pickup discount)

Dog Soldiers - $11.84 (after $5.41 pickup discount)

Finian's Rainbow (Warner Archive) - $11.94 (after $3.46 pickup discount)

The Boyfriend (Warner Archive) - $10.87 (after $3.85 pickup discount)

Time After Time (Warner Archive) - $12.88 (after $2.52 pickup discount)

Berserk: The Golden Age Arc Movie Collection - $16.56 (after $8.28 pickup discount)

Star Trek Trilogy Collection - $15.68 (after $7.84 pickup discount)

Woman of the Year (Criterion) - $17.14 (after $6.83 pickup discount)

Amazon's chasing these (except Creepshow, which is out of stock), but not surprisingly they've slapped most of them behind the Prime wall. :rolleyes:

PhantomStranger 07-05-17 12:57 PM

Berserk: The Golden Age Arc Movie Collection has gotten pretty low before on Amazon in earlier deals - I think I got it when it hit under $9 a few months back.

Walmart is definitely trying some loss leaders out as they fight Amazon off.

MooMooMooMoo 07-06-17 01:49 AM

For progressive rock fans, WM has a screaming deal on the Steven Wilson version of Gentle Giant Octopus CD & 96/24 Blu-ray for a whopping $10.77 (price includes in store pick-up discount)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gentle-Gi...u-ray/55373332

Brian T 07-06-17 10:02 AM

Transformers The Movie (Steelbook) - $8.04 after discount

Classic Films 07-06-17 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Brian T (Post 13108345)
Caltiki The Immortal Monster (Arrow) - $15.41 (after $7.71 pickup discount)

Creepshow 2 (Arrow) - $15.45 (after $4.64 pickup discount)

Pulse (Arrow) - $16.37 (after $6.60 pickup discount)

Dog Soldiers - $11.84 (after $5.41 pickup discount)

Finian's Rainbow (Warner Archive) - $11.94 (after $3.46 pickup discount)

The Boyfriend (Warner Archive) - $10.87 (after $3.85 pickup discount)

Time After Time (Warner Archive) - $12.88 (after $2.52 pickup discount)

Berserk: The Golden Age Arc Movie Collection - $16.56 (after $8.28 pickup discount)

Star Trek Trilogy Collection - $15.68 (after $7.84 pickup discount)

Woman of the Year (Criterion) - $17.14 (after $6.83 pickup discount)

Amazon's chasing these (except Creepshow, which is out of stock), but not surprisingly they've slapped most of them behind the Prime wall. :rolleyes:

The pick up discounts seem to change frequently. Time After Time discount is down to 86 cents, Star Trek Trilogy currently has none.

Battleground (Warner Archive) is $12.22 after discount . Its $12.47 at Amazon as of when I am writing this.

laidbacklarkin 07-06-17 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by hariseldon (Post 13109144)
That;s the dance. Walmart sets a price, then Amazon responds, then WM drops another 10 cents or quarter with in price or pickup discount, Amazon reacts until one or the other runs out of stock.

I'm not sure if this is all Battle of the Computer Algorithm or somebody at Walmart is just pushing buttons and tweaking Amazon's nose

Its all programmed thru a pricing engine that is customized to tweak the discount based on demand. Its pretty sophisticated and I have seen such a pricing engine work. However, am not sure people are ordering truckloads of a WAC title from Walmart to have the discount drop drastically. However, it does seem rather shameful on Amazon's part to not lead on this pricing wars even on select items. I have given most of these WAC discounted price business to Walmart on the last few weeks. While ship to store times have not dramatically improved, its markedly better than before

DVD Polizei 07-06-17 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by hariseldon (Post 13109144)
That;s the dance. Walmart sets a price, then Amazon responds, then WM drops another 10 cents or quarter with in price or pickup discount, Amazon reacts until one or the other runs out of stock.

I'm not sure if this is all Battle of the Computer Algorithm or somebody at Walmart is just pushing buttons and tweaking Amazon's nose

Pretty sure it's a battle of software designs, and it's only when one company's software eventually starts selling merchandise at below cost (a conflict of pricing protocols), that a human gets involved.

BobO'Link 07-06-17 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin (Post 13109170)
I have given most of these WAC discounted price business to Walmart on the last few weeks. While ship to store times have not dramatically improved, its markedly better than before

But the actual pick up experience is still rather horrible. That's why Amazon has receive my business on these. I don't have to leave the house or bother with WM pickup. I only do store pickup from WM if the product isn't available anywhere else and the discount is enough to pay for the time and gas it takes to get there, pick it up, and get back home. Lately that's been pretty much exclusively those titles WM gets a few months before anyone else and those usually have free shipping, without having to hit the normal threshold, to sweeten the deal.

Trevor 07-06-17 07:26 PM

My pickups at Walmart have been hit or miss, but even the worse ones not too horrible I guess. My local store just made things more confusing my adding tons of signs in and surrounding the parking lot to direct you to "Pickup", a special area next to the store with several special parking spots, and signs asking you to call this number when you arrive. Well, that area is for grocery pickup only.

MooMooMooMoo 07-06-17 07:28 PM

I only did my recent store pickup because I'm going to be with half a mile Tuesday anyways; & the 2 items I bought would not have qualified for Amazon free ship; + Wally's was cheaper. I HATE Walmart parking lots. I've never done an in store pickup, but at the store closest to me if it required going to regular cs, I could easily be waiting up to an hour.

At least BB has a special pickup window that's faster then regular CS.

laidbacklarkin 07-06-17 07:29 PM

My Walmart advantage is that its a smaller, neighborhood grocery store, not the big ass, messy stores. And i go by that route once every week on a Friday evening. Timing it around 7pm, its quick in, quick out. The hassle is if I have to return it, which is when i have to do that in the bigger store. The neighborhood grocery store is only a pickup option

BobO'Link 07-06-17 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 13109316)
I only did my recent store pickup because I'm going to be with half a mile Tuesday anyways; & the 2 items I bought would not have qualified for Amazon free ship; + Wally's was cheaper. I HATE Walmart parking lots. I've never done an in store pickup, but at the store closest to me if it required going to regular cs, I could easily be waiting up to an hour.

At least BB has a special pickup window that's faster then regular CS.

WMs is in the back of the store where they usually do lay-a-way. I've waited 20 minutes for someone to show up. That time I went looking after the 20 minute wait, grabbed the first associate I saw and asked "What do you have to do to actually get someone to come to the pickup counter?"

I've waited 5-10 minutes at the other store (we have 2 supercenters and 2 groceries) with almost every visit having an associate walking by asking if anyone is helping me. When told "no" they get someone.

I don't bother with the grocery only stores as they're further away. My house is almost dead between the two supercenters, with one closer to my office and the other closer to church. The one close to church is the easier to get in/out of so I use it more for pickups. It's also the "quicker" of the two - if you call 5 minutes average wait quick. I have one waiting there right now. We'll see if it's improved - I complained to the manager last time.

MooMooMooMoo 07-06-17 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 13109356)
WMs is in the back of the store where they usually do lay-a-way. I've waited 20 minutes for someone to show up. That time I went looking after the 20 minute wait, grabbed the first associate I saw and asked "What do you have to do to actually get someone to come to the pickup counter?"

I've waited 5-10 minutes at the other store (we have 2 supercenters and 2 groceries) with almost every visit having an associate walking by asking if anyone is helping me. When told "no" they get someone.

I don't bother with the grocery only stores as they're further away. My house is almost dead between the two supercenters, with one closer to my office and the other closer to church. The one close to church is the easier to get in/out of so I use it more for pickups. It's also the "quicker" of the two - if you call 5 minutes average wait quick. I have one waiting there right now. We'll see if it's improved - I complained to the manager last time.

Mine is a "superstore" that includes groceries. I hope there's a separate p/u counter in the back. I don't go their often; but music & movies are in the back & I've never noticed it. Guess if the shipping is on time I'll find out Tuesday.

mattysemo247 07-06-17 09:42 PM

Since I try to avoid Wal-Mart as much as possible, and think it's pretty shitty of Amazon to just sit there and price match instead of having their own original deals, I just price match at Target instead. All it takes is a quick online chat session and I get free shipping and save 5% with my Red Card. So far it's worked out good for me. :)

MooMooMooMoo 07-06-17 10:17 PM

What's Target's free ship threshold? I also dislike Walmart for moral reasons (which are currently being trumped by my finances).

Classic Films 07-07-17 12:47 AM

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner $9.92 After Discount. Currently $9.92 at Amazon. Amazon matched.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Guess-Who...&wl13=&veh=sem

Brian T 07-07-17 01:07 PM

Noticed these in the Amazon thread. Figured they were chasing Walmart, where they're at least not restricted to members only ;) :

Buena Vista Social Club - $16.02
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Buena-Vis...u-ray/55455380

Jeanne Dielman Etc. - $16.16
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Jeanne-Di...u-ray/55540798

MooMooMooMoo 07-08-17 07:32 PM

I got lucky on the pickup. Good parking space, & no line at the pickup desk. The clerk told me the average wait at that store's pickup is 5 minutes.

IDrinkMolson 07-08-17 08:09 PM

Have you ever used the mobile check in on the app? I've had mixed results, but I hit it if I have other shopping to do first. If your location/push notifications are off you have to do it manually.

http://help.walmart.com/app/answers/...obile-check-in