DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/560355-walmart-walmart-com-discounts-deals-blu-ray.html)

wmhgreen48 10-25-11 08:41 AM

re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Walmart.com lists a bare bones (no digital copies, toys) of the Jurassic Park Set for $29.96

Shagrath 10-25-11 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by wmhgreen48 (Post 10978363)
Walmart.com lists a bare bones (no digital copies, toys) of the Jurassic Park Set for $29.96

Do you have a link? The only one I saw at that price was for the dvds.

Jediturtle 10-25-11 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by wmhgreen48 (Post 10978363)

...on DVD, not Blu.

wmhgreen48 10-25-11 09:19 AM

^^ Mea culpa! Did a search for blu and it popped up with no other descriptors! Sorry folks!

Joe6286 10-25-11 10:58 PM

Saw the $8 display in a store near me and picked up Memento (10th Anniversary), Hellboy (Blu-ray/DVD combo pack), An American Werewolf in London, and Fletch.

Manzana 10-26-11 12:35 AM

My Walmart's $8 BD display was unusual... it was 1 side of 1 display and all of the BDs were edge out which is unusual for them. There were a bunch of other BDs people had thrown in with them that I don't think were $8, but after glancing at the spines I decided none of them were worth $8 to me, especially as I owned most of them on DVD. It has to be $5 or less before I consider upgrading.

Now if only those elusive Children of the Corn or Hellraiser 6 pack DVDs (I know) for $5 would show up.

indianajmb 10-28-11 04:58 PM

I picked up the crow for $7 with the $3 off coupon and
I picked up waterworld for $8.

I may go back for Cinderella Man for $8 also.

They had Incredible Hulk for 8 too which I had not seen before. Pretty good deals in the 8 dollar bin.

m3life 10-28-11 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by indianajmb (Post 10983570)
I picked up waterworld for $8.

I may go back for Cinderella Man for $8 also.

They had Incredible Hulk for 8 too which I had not seen before. Pretty good deals in the 8 dollar bin.

Where can you find a $3 coupon?

indianajmb 10-28-11 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by m3life (Post 10983608)
Where can you find a $3 coupon?

http://www.coupons.com/

Under Home Entertainment. Hurry up, the coupon is only good for a
few more days.

dino88 10-28-11 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by indianajmb (Post 10983570)

Is the only difference with Walmart's version of The Crow the exclusion of the digital copy?

TheBang 10-28-11 08:45 PM

^^^ Yes

dino88 10-28-11 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Todd B. (Post 10983781)
^^^ Yes

Thanks, Todd. I'll have to go pick it up tomorrow.

indianajmb 10-29-11 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 10983841)
Thanks, Todd. I'll have to go pick it up tomorrow.

I had trouble finding The Crow.
I asked the two ladies gossiping at the Electronics register, one was about 30 and the other about 50. The older lady looked at me, and without hesitation said, we don't carry that.

I looked at her and said, It was just released, and she said "we don't have it anymore"
I then said, you won't even look it up for me? Again, "we don't have it". I had my 4 year old with me, so I just walked away and did not say anything.
I spent another 10 minutes looking thru all of the Halloween bluray displays and finally found it on the right side of the display close to the new releases all the way at the bottom. They only had 1 left, so I took it, walked over to the two ladies, who were still standing there chatting and I said "thank you so much for your help, but I found it." Neither of them said anything, and just looked at me like they had no idea what I was talking about.

The thing I hate most about Walmart's bluray section is that there is no order to it and they are spread all over the place. There are like 10 sections to look thru and it is fairly easy to miss one. Maybe my local walmart is the only one like it, but I hate trying to find stuff there.

DVDMagic 10-29-11 08:29 AM

^ No, my WalMart is exactly the same - all the blu's spread through at least half a dozen different sections.

Why they just can't have 1 main set up and have it in alphabetical order, and then maybe an end cap for new releases, I'll never know

Schloob1 10-29-11 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by indianajmb (Post 10984180)
I had trouble finding The Crow.
I asked the two ladies gossiping at the Electronics register, one was about 30 and the other about 50. The older lady looked at me, and without hesitation said, we don't carry that.

I looked at her and said, It was just released, and she said "we don't have it anymore"
I then said, you won't even look it up for me? Again, "we don't have it". I had my 4 year old with me, so I just walked away and did not say anything.
I spent another 10 minutes looking thru all of the Halloween bluray displays and finally found it on the right side of the display close to the new releases all the way at the bottom. They only had 1 left, so I took it, walked over to the two ladies, who were still standing there chatting and I said "thank you so much for your help, but I found it." Neither of them said anything, and just looked at me like they had no idea what I was talking about.

The thing I hate most about Walmart's bluray section is that there is no order to it and they are spread all over the place. There are like 10 sections to look thru and it is fairly easy to miss one. Maybe my local walmart is the only one like it, but I hate trying to find stuff there.

Nope, most of the Walmart's are like that. No ryme or reason as to where things are put on display in the electronics department. I know if I did not have my child with me as well at the time, I think I would of found a store manager and reported your "incident" with the 2 ladies that you had. It's one thing to be clueless to what you were asking for, but another to just be rude and not actually try and help you with it. Not shocked though that it happened.

Trevor 10-29-11 08:35 AM

I would have asked for the store manager, calmly explained the situation, then also written down all of their names and written corporate. People like that don't deserve a job.

DVD Polizei 10-29-11 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by DVDMagic (Post 10984198)
Why they just can't have 1 main set up and have it in alphabetical order, and then maybe an end cap for new releases, I'll never know

That would require:

1) Work

2) Movement Of The Ass

3) 10 More Smoking Breaks

Pizza 10-29-11 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10984209)
I would have asked for the store manager, calmly explained the situation, then also written down all of their names and written corporate. People like that don't deserve a job.

It's Walmart. I assume they're getting minimum and obviously don't give a fig if they get canned or not as they'll just find another minimum paying job if they lose that one. It's not a career for them. I run into this stuff all the time at stores and fast food restaurants. You get what you pay for and where you shop. It's not worth the effort to make a stink because no one really cares and they'll just look at you as the trouble maker, which from their perspective you are. Fair? No, just the way it is and it's not worth the energy to get worked up over and get names and write corporate. Besides, he found it and he got to show them he found it. Yay! I'm sure they felt ashamed and the moment he walked away he was quickly forgotten by them and they kept gabbing all the same.

Trevor 10-29-11 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Pizza (Post 10984229)
It's Walmart. I assume they're getting minimum and obviously don't give a fig if they get canned or not as they'll just find another minimum paying job if they lose that one. It's not a career for them. I run into this stuff all the time at stores and fast food restaurants. You get what you pay for and where you shop. It's not worth the effort to make a stink because no one really cares and they'll just look at you as the trouble maker, which from their perspective you are. Fair? No, just the way it is and it's not worth the energy to get worked up over and get names and write corporate. Besides, he found it and he got to show them he found it. Yay! I'm sure they felt ashamed and the moment he walked away he was quickly forgotten by them and they kept gabbing all the same.

First we let them have Poland....

;)

It shouldn't be that way though Pizza. I know plenty of minimum-wage or near minimum-wage people who care about their jobs and actually do the work they're paid to do. I worked minimum-wage for many years, and I did a damn great job, always going out of way for customers. There are unemployed people out there who will take their jobs, and do the work. Too many people in this country have attitudes similar to what you wrote, and if we all keep taking it, customers and management, then it won't change.

banthafett 10-29-11 10:53 AM

Anyone still finding Mimic at WM? Sent my wife with the $3 coupon today, doubt movie is coming home.

As for the workers, no need to be like that even if they dont know what movie is what they could at least look. I dont know if all WM are like this, but the workers around here dont even stock the movies, only the dump bins. Someone comes in and puts out all movies and cds. (not sure about VGs) Thats why you go on a Tues at 2pm and new releases are not even out yet. If its a big movie release they will put the cardboard stands out and what not, but the actual movies that go on the shelf, someone drives to each WM to do that. And shes a bitter old bitch who does it.

dsa_shea 10-29-11 11:09 AM

What is worse is not the people that don't help you much but the workers that give you attitude for actually asking them to get something out of their locked cases or boxes. Those that act like you are inconveniencing them. There is a particular lady at a Walmart I go to that I avoid as she takes out her apparent hatred of her job on you. And as much as Walmart is always moving stuff around you would think they could have their BDs a little more organized.

JimRochester 10-29-11 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by indianajmb (Post 10984180)

Around here some of them will have a display over in photo, and spread things out all over. I travel through 7 counties for my job and I never see any type of reasonably easy type of display. At least 6 or 7 different areas that each have a few.

DVD Polizei 10-29-11 12:50 PM

Blu-ray movies probably account for 1% of Walmart's total movie format sales.

Pizza 10-29-11 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10984255)
First we let them have Poland....

;)

It shouldn't be that way though Pizza. I know plenty of minimum-wage or near minimum-wage people who care about their jobs and actually do the work they're paid to do. I worked minimum-wage for many years, and I did a damn great job, always going out of way for customers. There are unemployed people out there who will take their jobs, and do the work. Too many people in this country have attitudes similar to what you wrote, and if we all keep taking it, customers and management, then it won't change.

I have no doubt that there are indeed "plenty of minimum-wage or near minimum-wage people who care about their jobs." And, my hats off to all of them for doing their job. That still leaves a group that don't and won't. I'm not going to lose sleep over them when I meet up with them nor am I going to waste my time complaining. It's not going to change and, ultimately, it's not a big deal either. If you let it bother you, then it's a big deal and you've wrecked your own day, not theirs. And more likely, you'll look like an ass trying to show them up. That's not to say you shouldn't complain about something major, but a store clerk being lazy isn't high on my pick-your-battles list.

And no one is getting Poland on my watch.

indianajmb 10-29-11 11:00 PM

I have trying all day to remember other titles I saw, and I am pretty dang sure
that Manhunter was in the 8 dollar bin.