DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/560355-walmart-walmart-com-discounts-deals-blu-ray.html)

darkhawk 09-28-11 09:48 PM

re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Bought LOSERS at WalMart for $8.00.

COACH2369 09-29-11 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by dugnarug (Post 10942758)
I saw a new display up at one of my Wal-Marts today advertising the Paranormal Activity 3 Movie Cash. I can't remember the exact titles but know they had Sleepy Hollow and Sweeney Todd blu-rays for $15 each and those both came with $10 movie cash for Paranormal Activity 3. They also had the blu-rays without the movie cash for $10 a piece. On the right and left of the main display they had rows of $10-$15 blu-rays. I noticed that American Beauty, The African Queen and the newest Ferris Bueller were all part of the $10 group while Road To Perdition was one of the $15 titles. I can't remember every title but there was a nice selection.

I believe if you search Paranormal Activity 3 Movie Cash on Walmart.com it will list all the titles available as part of that promotion.

It seems like all the titles are the side are $10.00. Picked up The Island and Eagle Eye. Both rang up at $10.00.

wmhgreen48 09-30-11 02:22 PM

Federal Way, WA: movie only (Walmart Exclusive) Ben-Hur $19.96

Bob Bunny 10-01-11 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by wmhgreen48 (Post 10945727)
Federal Way, WA: movie only (Walmart Exclusive) Ben-Hur $19.96

Is this a two-disc movie only version? I looked at that at Walmart and couldn't find anywhere on the box that it contains two discs. Curious.

wmhgreen48 10-01-11 12:00 PM

^^ Yeah, I couldn't find that info either. Shook it and thought it sounded like multiple trays though...Also, hard to believe that THIS title would be compromised by putting it on 1 disc.

MovieFanatic81 10-01-11 01:55 PM

I picked up
Ferris Bueller's day off (With Slip)
American Beauty (with slip)
Friday the 13th Uncut (80) and Friday the 13th part 3

All fir about 40 bucks and some change. the F13 movies have movie cash for PA3.

Jamsmukz 10-01-11 03:27 PM

Just picked up the "Let Me In" blu-ray combo pack with slipcover and comic book for $10. The blu-ray itself was still marked at $20, but the shelf was marked $10.

Bob Bunny 10-01-11 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by wmhgreen48 (Post 10946824)
^^ Yeah, I couldn't find that info either. Shook it and thought it sounded like multiple trays though...Also, hard to believe that THIS title would be compromised by putting it on 1 disc.

I bought a copy and am keeping it unopened with the receipt until I determine if it is one disc or two. When I shake the box it makes NO sound. Like you, it is hard to believe it would be on one disc. Am I just being anal about this? :)

laidbacklarkin 10-01-11 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jamsmukz (Post 10947022)
Just picked up the "Let Me In" blu-ray combo pack with slipcover and comic book for $10. The blu-ray itself was still marked at $20, but the shelf was marked $10.

a previously viewed disc is only $4 at a Blockbuster near you. I mean as part of a 5 for $20 sale.

Mao 10-02-11 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Bunny (Post 10946771)
Is this a two-disc movie only version? I looked at that at Walmart and couldn't find anywhere on the box that it contains two discs. Curious.

It's the 2-disc movie-only version.

Cheapest way to get just the movie in all it's hi-def glory.

So glad I didn't have to shell out the cash for all the stuff I wouldn't need/watch anyway...

whotony 10-02-11 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mao (Post 10947747)
It's the 2-disc movie-only version.

Cheapest way to get just the movie in all it's hi-def glory.

So glad I didn't have to shell out the cash for all the stuff I wouldn't need/watch anyway...

You opened it?

BobSchlapowitz 10-02-11 02:00 PM

Went to both the Quincy, Mass. and Weymouth, Mass. Wal-Marts looking for the $10 American Beauty BD and neither of them had it. Anyone know of any other Mass. stores that carry it?

pinata242 10-02-11 03:00 PM

Geez, at this point what have you spent in gas, wear & tear, and time looking for a mediocre deal?

lordzeppelin 10-02-11 07:22 PM

Went to pick up Sleepy Hollow for $10, and ended up finding Days of Thunder for $10 as well. That's the cheapest that I have found it for, and I sold my DVD long ago for $5, so what the hell.

Mao 10-02-11 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 10947848)
You opened it?

Bought it and opened it!

whotony 10-02-11 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mao (Post 10948689)
Bought it and opened it!

Good news. I bought it today too. I could tell there was two discs in there or at least two spindles by squeezing the front and back of the case.

CapRockBrewingCo. 10-04-11 04:26 PM

Picked up The Island and African Queen for $10 each on a new cardboard display at my WM with American Beauty and Sleepy Hollow as other possible titles. I can't remember right now what the other $10 movies were. I was in a hurry to get in and out of there. The display also featured some $15 movies such as Beverly Hills Cop, Road to Perdition, and maybe 5-7 more.

Jamsmukz 10-05-11 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jamsmukz (Post 10947022)

Unfortunately, I have never found 5 movies that I actually want in those BB 5 for $20 deals, so I stopped trying awhile ago...

mike07 10-05-11 11:55 AM

Can anyone tell me what Walmart wants for the Blu-ray Disc version of FAST FIVE?

Edison 10-05-11 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by supermike07 (Post 10952623)
Can anyone tell me what Walmart wants for the Blu-ray Disc version of FAST FIVE?

The one I stopped by tonight was $19.96, but I think they were adjusting to match Best Buy. The sticker price was $24.96.

Michael Corvin 10-05-11 08:44 PM

Pre-ordered The Crow awhile back and just got a shipping notification. :banana:

SteveA 10-06-11 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by wmhgreen48 (Post 10946824)

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but isn't there tons of room on a Blu-ray disc, enough to easily store the entire hi-def movie without loss of resolution?

TheBang 10-06-11 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by SteveA (Post 10953892)
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but isn't there tons of room on a Blu-ray disc, enough to easily store the entire hi-def movie without loss of resolution?

Ben-Hur is a long movie; over 3.5 hours. Warner did a high-quality restoration, and preserved a lot of quality and detail in their 4K mastering. They could have squeezed 3.5 hours onto one disc, but they probably wanted to preserve as much of the restored quality as possible by not compromising with a lower bitrate that would have been required to put that much video on one disc.

SteveA 10-07-11 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Todd B. (Post 10954790)
Ben-Hur is a long movie; over 3.5 hours. Warner did a high-quality restoration, and preserved a lot of quality and detail in their 4K mastering. They could have squeezed 3.5 hours onto one disc, but they probably wanted to preserve as much of the restored quality as possible by not compromising with a lower bitrate that would have been required to put that much video on one disc.

Thanks. I don't know as much about blu-ray as I probably should. So to maximize quality, Ben-Hur is released on two single-layer blu-rays, but they could have used a single double-layer disc?

FranklinShepard 10-07-11 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by SteveA (Post 10955790)
Thanks. I don't know as much about blu-ray as I probably should. So to maximize quality, Ben-Hur is released on two single-layer blu-rays, but they could have used a single double-layer disc?

It's been released on two dual-layer BDs. The movie takes up over 60 gigs of space. Yes, Warner probably could've compressed it, but I'm guessing taking away the extra 13 gigs or so would've resulted in a lower quality image.