DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/560355-walmart-walmart-com-discounts-deals-blu-ray.html)

Qui Gon Jim 03-21-13 08:15 AM

re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

I should clarify that eh M:I 1-3 in the $7.988 dump do not have MC...

JimRochester 03-21-13 03:20 PM

No $7.88 at all at the WM I went to today

Brent L 03-21-13 04:07 PM

I am really sick of my local SC Walmart stores. The ones here in my area, they have NEVER had the $7.88 bin. They have a handful, literally no more than five or so titles, displayed on the normal shelf with the other high dollar stuff. The only times I have been able to get in on most of these titles have been in Walmart stores out of state - NC and GA.

darkdaze73 03-21-13 04:33 PM

I have been to 4 different WM's in the last week looking for the 7.88 titles and WWE/WCW bargain sections. Of the four I have been to, only one had the 7.88 titles but they were in a cardboard display with the titles laying spine up.

Two of the stores had the WWE/WCW titles and one had neither; which happens to be the one closest to where I do most of my shopping, but also the oldest of the four stores. That store rarely(if ever) carries any of the special movie displays other than the normal $5 dvd bin except for new releases. The one store that had both sections is the most recently opened of the four but the one I frequent the least.

Qui Gon Jim 03-22-13 07:49 AM

WWE/WCW section?

Adam Tyner 03-22-13 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Brent L (Post 11623692)
I am really sick of my local SC Walmart stores. The ones here in my area, they have NEVER had the $7.88 bin.

I haven't been recently to look for any of these specific titles, but the Wal-Mart here in Simpsonville has always seemed to have these same deals whenever I've looked in the past.

nycdude 03-22-13 12:32 PM

There is a $5 cardboard box where they had all the double feature movies at that price.

eg. Color of Night/ Playing God; Deep Rising/ Puppet Master.

Of there there were a few more titles. Should have taken a pic. lol

btw, I didn't see any $7.88 titles. :( but they did have the triple features at $9.88

darkdaze73 03-22-13 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim (Post 11624301)
WWE/WCW section?

Yeah. There is a section in some stores dedicated to these with them being on sale.

ex. WrestleMania 25 & WrestleMania 26 - $7.88 each
True Story of WrestleMania, CM Punk Best in the World, WCW Clash of the Champions, Undertaker - The Streak - $12.96 each

All of the above are BD deals, and there are more BD's included in this sale. There is also a bunch of dvds on sale.

Kedrix 03-23-13 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim (Post 11624301)
WWE/WCW section?

I saw one of these today, my wife was going to the gym and I decided that it was the perfect time to tag along with her and go to the Wally over there. Lawls. Anyway, it was actually a really good Wal-mart and on top of that, not many people (it was 8 in the morning).

Anyway, the display, here is a picture I took with my phone, not great quality, but it gives you an idea.

What's actually there? It has the first 15 Wrestlemanias on DVD for $9.96 a piece. I certainly thought of rebuying my copy of 15, my copy cuts out in the middle of one of my watches, probably from the age. I might go back for a few of them, but it was really hard to decide on which one (especially when I mention what I actually bought). Then there are a few rows of misc WWE (or WWE WCW titles) dvd and blu-ray titles for really good prices. I don't think there was anything above $15 here (and a ton of stuff below $10), even the blu-ray. The only thing I bought? The Clash of Champions 2 disc blu-ray for $12.96.

I also found and end up buying the two Sean Connery Bond Blu 3-packs for $14.96 a piece. A note however, they use the really flimsy 3-disc blu cases and be careful with the shrink wrap, its the melted on variety and can stick. One was so brittle, it broke on the way home so I replaced it with some of my better quality ones. After those, I also picked up the Willow 25th Blu-Ray/DVD combo ($14.96). It had the slipcover and was the last copy I saw. Not that it matters since I have the special edition DVD, but the dvd they include doesn't even have a disc label. So needless to say, I replaced the label free dvd with my SE copy.

Outside of that, I also picked up a couple of $5.00 clearanced board games (a SNL themed one and Fact or Crap?), and was out about $70. :) Yeah, that's why I didn't mess with the WMs. But I might go back to the gym with my wife next Saturday. I think I'm missing the point. (or loathe gyms)

Blu Soul 03-23-13 09:37 PM

Any good deals on 3D Blu-Rays here?

darkdaze73 03-23-13 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kedrix (Post 11625997)
Spoiler:
I saw one of these today, my wife was going to the gym and I decided that it was the perfect time to tag along with her and go to the Wally over there. Lawls. Anyway, it was actually a really good Wal-mart and on top of that, not many people (it was 8 in the morning).

Anyway, the display, here is a picture I took with my phone, not great quality, but it gives you an idea.
http://www.kedrix.net/wp-content/upl...stlemania.jpeg

What's actually there? It has the first 15 Wrestlemanias on DVD for $9.96 a piece. I certainly thought of rebuying my copy of 15, my copy cuts out in the middle of one of my watches, probably from the age. I might go back for a few of them, but it was really hard to decide on which one (especially when I mention what I actually bought). Then there are a few rows of misc WWE (or WWE WCW titles) dvd and blu-ray titles for really good prices. I don't think there was anything above $15 here (and a ton of stuff below $10), even the blu-ray. The only thing I bought? The Clash of Champions 2 disc blu-ray for $12.96.

Just to add a note about WM15, from what I have read elsewhere, there are some edits/removal of portions of some matches.

whotony 03-23-13 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Blu Soul (Post 11625999)
Any good deals on 3D Blu-Rays here?

No.

jdpatri 03-24-13 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 11617429)
I'm always glad to see Timothy Dalton get recognition for his two Bond films. Personally for me his two are up there with the best of the franchise. Personally for me I'd say it's Connery, Craig, and Dalton as the best actors to portray Bond.

I liked Brosnan growing up but his films really haven't aged the best. Moore's films are okay for being campy but I have to be in the right mood for them. Lazenby I didn't care for, maybe because he only had one time as Bond and I just never adjusted to his style but his take on the character didn't do much for me.

I'm currently orchestrating a James Bond social media project where I host a live tweet session for each Bond movie in chronological order and then I write an essay/blog post directed by the conversation during the movie. It's been a lot of fun and we have a pretty big group of regulars that show up every week for the live tweet sessions. If you're on twitter, we'd love to add a few more to the conversation. If anyone's interested, you can see the link to the tumblr in my signature below. The schedule and information is all contained there.

Regarding Bonds, I am a huge fan of Dalton's. He's totally underappreciated because his interpretation went against the established image of cinema Bond. But, as you've said, he took great care to direct his performance toward the character Fleming created.

The more I watch OHMSS, the more I appreciate what Lazenby did in that movie. For an untrained actor (he had had only had a couple of commercials at that point) he showed some remarkable subtlety (perhaps accidental). And the final scene in that movie works because of the way he played it. It could have been an absolute disaster. It probably should have been a disaster, but because he erred on the side of, well, not acting, he read the line perfectly. Bond needed to be outside himself in that moment. As someone trained to remove emotion from his life, he needed to resort to self-preservation and distance.

Anyway, back to Wal-Mart. Sorry for the detour.

GuessWho 03-24-13 01:46 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the WWE stuff -- just got the CM Punk bluray (I'm briefly in it twice) :)

Qui Gon Jim 03-25-13 07:55 AM

Thanks! I'll have to check another WM, the one near home does not have this section. I'll also need to review which WM's I don't have. I have the big box set, and a couple of them after that, but I am not positive. I'll bet any Benoit footage is excised from these new discs.

Kedrix 03-25-13 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim (Post 11627484)
I'll bet any Benoit footage is excised from these new discs.

This is probably better deserved for a wrestling thread somewhere, but I honestly hope not. He's a horrible human being, but he's a part of WWE history, and he was integral to a lot of angles during his WWE run. He was World Champ for pete's sake. Anyway, enough of my soapbox, but WWE's rewriting history is complete BS.

yellahoosh 04-01-13 03:00 PM

There was a new $5 blu-ray endcap yesterday. I remember seeing:
Terminator Salvation Director's Cut
Dirty Dozen
Risky Business
Jeremiah Johnson
Wyatt Earp

and there were a few more. It was just a one-sided display, not too many titles.

rwsharpjr 04-12-13 05:59 PM

Finally found the $5 3disc Star Trek everyone's been finding over the last couple of years.
Don't get me wrong, I've seen it quite a few times, just at $24.96.

rbrown498 04-13-13 01:34 PM

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I found the Gamera Trilogy from Mill Creek in the $7.88 dump bin today:

YMMV.

Manzana 04-15-13 09:58 AM

I don't have time to go back through past pages, so I don't know if this was mentioned, but I was surprised to see The Boy in the Striped Pajamas BD for $5.00. There was exactly 1 copy waiting for me. It had a shelf tag for $5.00 and was sitting mixed among the odd priced BDs towards the back. It's incredibly rare for me to find anything I want, especially something I'm not looking for. Of course it's not much of a discount compared to Amazon's $7.99. Still $5 was my price point.

I looked around for Mad Men, but Walmart didn't have a single season of it on any format. I guess that's too old and unpopular for the likes of Walmart, even the recently released S5.

js2shops 04-16-13 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana (Post 11652992)
I looked around for Mad Men, but Walmart didn't have a single season of it on any format. I guess that's too old and unpopular for the likes of Walmart, even the recently released S5.

Sometimes it's damned impossible to find what you're looking for in media- I had a similar problem recently with the Season 1, Volume 1 soundtrack for NASHVILLE...which is huge right now. Just a nightmare to find it at my price: $10.

Thanks for the heads-up in this thread on Jeremiah Johnson, I've been wanting to pick it up on Blu-Ray for a long time because of the Pollack/Redford/Milius commentary exclusive to BDD. Can't beat $5.

bigjim25 04-16-13 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by js2shops (Post 11655514)
Sometimes it's damned impossible to find what you're looking for in media- I had a similar problem recently with the Season 1, Volume 1 soundtrack for NASHVILLE...which is huge right now. Just a nightmare to find it at my price: $10.

Nashville S1V1 is $11.99 at Target right now and comes with 4 bonus tracks.

js2shops 04-17-13 01:25 AM

Thanks Big Jim- I actually did finally find it for ten bucks at a Walmart, but without the bonus tracks, obviously. Not a deal breaker, though now I wish I had looked on the Target website! I had only seen it in-store at Target for $12.99, no bonus tracks.

RagingBull80 04-27-13 11:19 AM

I found a whole bunch of new $5 discs at my local Wal-Mart. I picked up Jackie Brown but there were at least 15 or 20 more titles. The only three I can remember seeing right now are Jackie Brown, Taps and Way of the Gun.

Manzana 04-27-13 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by RagingBull80 (Post 11669882)
I found a whole bunch of new $5 discs at my local Wal-Mart. I picked up Jackie Brown but there were at least 15 or 20 more titles. The only three I can remember seeing right now are Jackie Brown, Taps and Way of the Gun.

A detailed thread about these $5 BDs can be found here: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=218803

Even though I started on this site, sadly there's far more traffic and discussion on the other site as shown by the fact there's not even a thread here about those new $5 BDs, but out of loyalty I still check here.

PhantomStranger 04-27-13 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana (Post 11669984)
A detailed thread about these $5 BDs can be found here: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=218803

Even though I started on this site, sadly there's far more traffic and discussion on the other site as shown by the fact there's not even a thread here about those new $5 BDs, but out of loyalty I still check here.

I get the feeling that there are a lot of younger collectors over at Blu-ray.com, so they get more excited by movies that most here already own in some form. There isn't a single $5 BD at Walmart that I don't either own or want.

JimRochester 04-27-13 02:58 PM

At least half of the posts are people complaining they have them already. Looks like most of those are the $7.88 titles floating around for ages.

whotony 04-27-13 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana (Post 11669984)

Whatchaya want, a cookie?

Kedrix 04-27-13 05:36 PM

Bought Detective Dee for $7.88, and Madea Goes to Jail (for the wifey) for $5. Also Darkwing Duck Vol2 on dvd was $9.96. Wish they would release all episodes of that one.

RagingBull80 04-28-13 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester (Post 11670043)
At least half of the posts are people complaining they have them already. Looks like most of those are the $7.88 titles floating around for ages.

IMO the best of the bunch was Jackie Brown; I don't think I've ever seen that one for less than $10

Rocketdog2000 04-28-13 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by RagingBull80 (Post 11670780)
IMO the best of the bunch was Jackie Brown; I don't think I've ever seen that one for less than $10

I picked it up for $3 at Target a couple of Black Fridays back, which I think, was also the year it was released on Blu Ray. That, Pulp Fiction and a couple of other Lionsgate titles. It went up to $5 for the rest of the weekend. Not that it helps you now, but just pointing out it has been available for less before, and likely will again.

That'sAllFolks 04-28-13 05:31 PM

Lots of $5 BDs in a new stand-up at WM.

List stolen from blu-ray.com. YMMV, of course:

Marine 2
Batman
Mr brooks
Broken arrow
Behind enemy lines
Entrapment
S darko
rob Roy
Taps
No country for old men
Scatter movie 2
Madeas jail time
Windtalkers
Commando
Walking tall

SethDLH 04-28-13 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks (Post 11670832)

Marine 2
Batman
Mr brooks
Broken arrow
Behind enemy lines
Entrapment
S darko
rob Roy
Taps
No country for old men
Scatter movie 2
Madeas jail time
Windtalkers
Commando
Walking tall

The stand should also have a couple Saw sequels, Scream 1 and 2, Jackie Brown, and The LAst Exorcism

JTKenobi 04-29-13 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by rwsharpjr (Post 11650809)
Finally found the $5 3disc Star Trek everyone's been finding over the last couple of years.
Don't get me wrong, I've seen it quite a few times, just at $24.96.

Ooh, so there's hope for me yet! Was there only 1 copy?
What part of the country are you in? I doubt that makes a difference, but just in case your in the Milwaukee, WI.....haha

kenbenobi 04-29-13 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks (Post 11670832)

Marine 2
Batman
Mr brooks
Broken arrow
Behind enemy lines
Entrapment
S darko
rob Roy
Taps
No country for old men
Scatter movie 2
Madeas jail time
Windtalkers
Commando
Walking tall

Originally Posted by SethDLH (Post 11670866)
The stand should also have a couple Saw sequels, Scream 1 and 2, Jackie Brown, and The LAst Exorcism

You can add Runaway Jury to that list. Oh, and that should be SCARY movie 2. Scary Movie 1 is also there.

rbrown498 04-29-13 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi (Post 11671798)
Oh, and that should be SCARY movie 2.

Damn! I was SO hoping to complete my Scatter Movie collection. -ptth-

That'sAllFolks 04-30-13 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi (Post 11671798)
You can add Runaway Jury to that list. Oh, and that should be SCARY movie 2. Scary Movie 1 is also there.

I love that movie. Another trip to WM... Thanks :rolleyes:

captainsolo 04-30-13 04:33 PM

Which Batman is there? Ours looks a bit different title-wise. It's in the back of the store and had Ronin, which somehow magically leapt into my hand.

Whiskey Warfield 04-30-13 05:14 PM

The 1966 Batman.

popegregFKAgoblin23 05-01-13 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by JTKenobi (Post 11671438)
Ooh, so there's hope for me yet! Was there only 1 copy?
What part of the country are you in? I doubt that makes a difference, but just in case your in the Milwaukee, WI.....haha

I look pretty much every time I'm at WM and the only times I have seen it, it always scans at $24.96. Milwaukee area must not have got the memo.