DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/560355-walmart-walmart-com-discounts-deals-blu-ray.html)

ProfessorEcho 08-02-11 11:49 AM

re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Walmart has the new Extended Director's Cuts on GETTYSBURG and GODS AND GENERALS for $15 each. Are these exclusive to Walmart? Last time I checked I could only find the deluxe digibook sets for them on Amazon.

BSTNFAN 08-02-11 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho (Post 10876028)
Walmart has the new Extended Director's Cuts on GETTYSBURG and GODS AND GENERALS for $15 each. Are these exclusive to Walmart? Last time I checked I could only find the deluxe digibook sets for them on Amazon.

The non-digibooks are WM exclusives.

MovieFanatic81 08-02-11 06:32 PM

Wal-mart in stores piss me off sometimes.

I went there to buy Stake Land on today on blu ray. And none of the new releases were even put out yet. And this was at like 12:30pm. Oh, never mind they had RIO out though. So I go over to target to see if they have it and no. So then I go get something to eat. And about a hour has passed since i first went there. I went back thinking they should have the stuff out. But no. Then I go away for a few hours. I came back and most of the new releases are out but what I want. That's what pisses me off. Most of the big name releases they have out. But they still have the smaller name titles. But what angers me the most of them taking their sweet ass time putting out all the new releases. I think i might start ordering stuff from them online. It's a bit more cheaper and don't have to worry if they put it out or not. Just gotta wait a few extra days for the movies that's all. That are pre order them at FYE.

Sweet Baby James 08-02-11 08:06 PM

Spy Kids Trilogy is up for a November pre-order at $14.96-

http://www.walmart.com/ip/17134361

MovieFanatic81 08-03-11 12:16 AM

I saw the Spy kids movies there for 10 bucks a piece.

The Monkees 08-03-11 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by MovieFanatic81 (Post 10876863)
I saw the Spy kids movies there for 10 bucks a piece.

They're $8 a piece at Best Buy

Manzana 08-03-11 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James (Post 10876634)
Spy Kids Trilogy is up for a November pre-order at $14.96-

http://www.walmart.com/ip/17134361

$14.96 for 3 movies on BD seems like a good deal, and it seems rather low for a new release. It's probably an error. I wonder if Walmart will honor it, cancel it, or maybe send a coupon like they did for Iron Man 2 (though I doubt enough people will order or complain about this).

The only thing stopping me from ordering is that I've never seen any Spy Kids movies so I don't know if they're worth $5 each on BD. The good part is that a Walmart.com order can easily be returned in store (if it's not opened), so it may be safer to order first and decide later.

EDIT: Uhoh. There's no in-store pickup... only ship to home for $1.97. So that makes it about $17 for the 3 movies. Not sure if I'll order now.

Kedrix 08-03-11 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Manzana (Post 10877156)
$14.96 for 3 movies on BD seems like a good deal, and it seems rather low for a new release. It's probably an error. I wonder if Walmart will honor it, cancel it, or maybe send a coupon like they did for Iron Man 2 (though I doubt enough people will order or complain about this).

The only thing stopping me from ordering is that I've never seen any Spy Kids movies so I don't know if they're worth $5 each on BD. The good part is that a Walmart.com order can easily be returned in store (if it's not opened), so it may be safer to order first and decide later.

I wouldn't be so sure it is an error. The Scream Trilogy is going to price under $20 for three movies and 2 major documentaries, and this is in the same vain with probably less special features so $15 makes some sense. Still cheap and from what I've heard, the Spy Kids movies are pretty good if you got a young one in the house. Some nice mindless fun.

Manzana 08-03-11 10:56 AM

MovieFanatic81, you're not alone. My Walmart store did this all the time to me. I complained about it and it never changed anything. Last night my Walmart had just a few cashiers open with around 15 people in each line (roughly a 30 minute wait). Does Walmart open more cashiers in that situation? Heck no. If I complain by saying the lines are too long so could you please open more registers, they always say something like "we're understaffed right now and don't have any more cashiers". Since it's always the same story, it just means they're not willing to hire enough employees to cover peak times. And Walmart is not alone in this but one of the worse offenders.

My Walmart puts out the Tuesday new releases when they feel good and ready (i.e. no particular time... typically 11 AM is the earliest and 4 PM is the latest). Realizing this, if I do buy a new release (which thankfully is pretty rare) I go to Target who at least usually has them out within the first couple hours, and if they don't Target employees are usually willing to go find it for me in the back. The problem with Target is they sometimes don't very many quantities of some new releases, and I don't enjoy rushing there or fighting for 1 of the few they have.

When I ask a Walmart employee to find a Tuesday new release on Tuesday morning, the gist of it is they they don't know what box it's in, they're understaffed, and they can't leave the floor (nor get anyone else) to look for it, so come back later in the day. To my ears I hear that as a big "we don't care". After a while of this, I learned simply not to go to Walmart for new releases any more.

I wonder if RonBoster will attack me for posting something negative about a store besides BB even though I was just agreeing with MovieFanatic81's experience and posting summaries of my experiences.

Manzana 08-03-11 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kedrix (Post 10877158)
I wouldn't be so sure it is an error. The Scream Trilogy is going to price under $20 for three movies and 2 major documentaries, and this is in the same vain with probably less special features so $15 makes some sense. Still cheap and from what I've heard, the Spy Kids movies are pretty good if you got a young one in the house. Some nice mindless fun.

Well, if it's going to be that price on release, then maybe I'll wait until release week when I hope the in-store pickup option will be available to save $1.97 on shipping. Maybe I can try to watch one of the Spy Kids movies between now and release date. I have noticed that Walmart often prices preorders lower at first and then raises them (they did it with those double BD packs of things like Running Man/Red Heat and such).

MovieFanatic81 08-03-11 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Manzana (Post 10877187)
MovieFanatic81, you're not alone. My Walmart store did this all the time to me. I complained about it and it never changed anything. Last night my Walmart had just a few cashiers open with around 15 people in each line (roughly a 30 minute wait). Does Walmart open more cashiers in that situation? Heck no. If I complain by saying the lines are too long so could you please open more registers, they always say something like "we're understaffed right now and don't have any more cashiers". Since it's always the same story, it just means they're not willing to hire enough employees to cover peak times. And Walmart is not alone in this but one of the worse offenders.

My Walmart puts out the Tuesday new releases when they feel good and ready (i.e. no particular time... typically 11 AM is the earliest and 4 PM is the latest). Realizing this, if I do buy a new release (which thankfully is pretty rare) I go to Target who at least usually has them out within the first couple hours, and if they don't Target employees are usually willing to go find it for me in the back. The problem with Target is they sometimes don't very many quantities of some new releases, and I don't enjoy rushing there or fighting for 1 of the few they have.

When I ask a Walmart employee to find a Tuesday new release on Tuesday morning, the gist of it is they they don't know what box it's in, they're understaffed, and they can't leave the floor (nor get anyone else) to look for it, so come back later in the day. To my ears I hear that as a big "we don't care". After a while of this, I learned simply not to go to Walmart for new releases any more.

I wonder if RonBoster will attack me for posting something negative about a store besides BB even though I was just agreeing with MovieFanatic81's experience and posting summaries of my experiences.

The main reason I go there is for the cheaper prices. They seem to have alot of Anchor bay and other small time releases for like 10 bucks or so.

But I mean how hard is it really to put the stuff out on time. I mean I'm sure there is no one in the stores at like 4 am or something the Monday before and they go put the stuff out. It's a super-center and they are open 24 hours.

Manzana 08-03-11 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by MovieFanatic81 (Post 10877253)
The main reason I go there is for the cheaper prices. They seem to have alot of Anchor bay and other small time releases for like 10 bucks or so.

But I mean how hard is it really to put the stuff out on time. I mean I'm sure there is no one in the stores at like 4 am or something the Monday before and they go put the stuff out. It's a super-center and they are open 24 hours.

Since Walmart is closer to me than Target, I would go to Walmart instead of Target if: (1) they put out new releases on time, (2) they didn't try to give me back less than I paid if I change my mind on an item where I used a mfg. coupon, and (3) they didn't have such long lines (too few cashiers) so often. For the last couple years I mainly use Walmart for food and have to go at certain times to avoid long lines. Walmart certainly could put out new releases by 9 AM Tuesday morning if they wanted to, but for whatever scheduling reasons I don't understand, their staff at night seem to be working on other stuff besides putting out Tuesday new release movies. I'm pretty sure (based solely on their ever-shrinking movies section) that DVDs and BDs are not high priority, high profit items for Walmart.

MovieFanatic81 08-03-11 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana (Post 10877262)
Since Walmart is closer to me than Target, I would go to Walmart instead of Target if: (1) they put out new releases on time, (2) they didn't try to give me back less than I paid if I change my mind on an item where I used a mfg. coupon, and (3) they didn't have such long lines (too few cashiers) so often. For the last couple years I mainly use Walmart for food and have to go at certain times to avoid long lines. Walmart certainly could put out new releases by 9 AM Tuesday morning if they wanted to, but for whatever scheduling reasons I don't understand, their staff at night seem to be working on other stuff besides putting out Tuesday new release movies. I'm pretty sure (based solely on their ever-shrinking movies section) that DVDs and BDs are not high priority, high profit items for Walmart.

The Walmart and The Target are the same distance for me really. Since they are right across the street from one another. One side is Walmart and the other is Target. I check both places to see which has the cheaper price, even if that means saving a few bucks here and there.

Walmart for the last few years had self checkouts, but recently this year they took them out and put up my cashiers that they seemingly don't use that much. Its just like if you want people to keep coming back they should treat the customers with a bit more respect.

dugnarug 08-03-11 02:01 PM

I was just browsing the Walmart.com website and noticed they are offering a lot of titles with Movie Cash offers. They have a lot of titles available now for Cowboys & Aliens but what is interesting is they list some titles for pre-order in the future for movies like Footloose, Paranormal Activity 3 and Happy Feet 2.
If your like me knowing these titles are coming out with free movie tickets may influence your buying decisions.

A hot one to note is The Goonies blu-ray for $9 with Happy Feet 2 movie cash!
As far as I know here in states its only been released as part of the big collectors set.

All Movie Cash Offers Blu-ray and DVD

Paranormal Activity 3 Movie Cash Blu-ray

Footloose Movie Cash Blu-ray

Happy Feet 2 Movie Cash Blu-ray

MovieFanatic81 08-03-11 02:07 PM

9 bucks for goonies? I buy it just alone for that. Couldn't careless about Happy Feet 2 though.

b2net 08-03-11 02:29 PM

Looks like Goonies Blu-Ray has a 10/18 release date.. In fact all of these with Happy Feet 2 Movie money have that release date... I agree once Goonies hits 9 bucks.. I am on it...

MovieFanatic81 08-03-11 02:49 PM

All the ones with movie cash mostly come out later this year. Except the ones with Cowboys and aliens movie cash. I actually got Inglorious Basterds from amazon for 9.99 along with the movie cash.

tbender 08-03-11 03:27 PM

Does anyone know what the difference between that pre-order Goonies and this one is (besides the price): http://www.amazon.com/Goonies-Blu-Ra...2403063&sr=8-1

MovieFanatic81 08-03-11 03:51 PM

Nothing I'm sure besides a Eco case and the movie cash. They always seem to re-release a film either on dvd or blu ray and stick in movie cash.

b2net 08-03-11 03:59 PM

The Amazon one is from the UK....

Manzana 08-04-11 09:38 AM

The problem for me with preordering BDs of movies I already own on DVD but like enough I'd upgrade to BD is that I can rarely find any detailed comparison reviews until after the movie is released (and sometimes the price goes up).

While most BD transfers are superior to the DVD, on occasion there are ones that are too grainy or have edge enhancement and makes a BD upgrade really just a sideways move in quality. Other times they drop important extras. So it's really hard to commit much money.

But I guess if a title has free ship to store, one can preorder and lock in the price, pick it up at the store (which is the most difficult part of all as I usually have to wait a long time and track down the employee who is supposed to be at the pickup counter), and then return it if you don't like the reviews you read. I hate having to do things the hard way because info comes out so late. I guess we can't expect reviews before the product is released, but in the release announcements I think the studios should (I know they probably never will) post a detailed list of the extras, video (bitrate) and audio formats. Wishful thinking I know.

The Goonies isn't a good example of this because it turns out this is an old release and there are reviews of it, and based on MovieFanatic81's post I guess this is a re-release of the same disc with just a crappy Eco case + movie cash. EDIT: I almost preordered The Goonies, but the $1.97 shipping with no ship-to-store available changed my mind.

MovieFanatic81 08-04-11 11:56 AM

Something i noticed with the preorders with Walmart.com they only let you use the site to store thing after the films been released. If you want site to store you gotta wait until the day it comes out, then you can do what you wanna want. Kinda a pain cause of that.

TheBang 08-04-11 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by tbender (Post 10877596)
Does anyone know what the difference between that pre-order Goonies and this one is (besides the price): http://www.amazon.com/Goonies-Blu-Ra...2403063&sr=8-1

The one you linked is an import from the UK.

The 10/18 Goonies pre-order is the first time it will be available in a normal case in the US. Previously, Goonies was only available in a gift set.

The actual disc content on all the releases (UK, US gift set, US case) should be identical.

flix1 08-07-11 08:13 PM

Picked up the new Donnie Darko 10th Anniversary Blu-ray/DVD combo (4 discs) for $15. Cheapest I've seen it.

jwstl 08-08-11 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by flix1 (Post 10881855)
Picked up the new Donnie Darko 10th Anniversary Blu-ray/DVD combo (4 discs) for $15. Cheapest I've seen it.

If you are a B&N member you can save a few bucks at barnesandnoble.com. It's currently on sale for 11.24 and there are a couple of 20% coupons available that drop it to $9 plus tax.