Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheBang
deleted
Print Wikipost

Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Old 12-19-10, 03:13 PM
  #851  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Butler, PA
Posts: 197
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
Was tempted to get the Hellboy Animated double feature Blu but the disc didn't say if it carries over all the extras like the commentaries. Anyone know?
Stripped down versions.
Old 12-19-10, 04:52 PM
  #852  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 35,385
Received 454 Likes on 393 Posts
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Any feedback on The Thomas Crown Affair? As someone mentioned, this is a guilty pleasure movie for me. When just want to chill I'll watch. But have on DVD (obviously). Worth the $8.00 for BD?

Also been wanted to grab Highlander. But again, I have in DVD (but is a shitty version). But that hasn't really budged in price.
Old 12-19-10, 05:06 PM
  #853  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Travis McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 7,758
Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Any feedback on The Thomas Crown Affair? As someone mentioned, this is a guilty pleasure movie for me. When just want to chill I'll watch. But have on DVD (obviously). Worth the $8.00 for BD?

Also been wanted to grab Highlander. But again, I have in DVD (but is a shitty version). But that hasn't really budged in price.
The nice thing about The Thomas Crown Affair is that it includes the previous DVD release as well. So if for some reason you're unsatisfied with the A/V quality, you can still watch the exact same DVD you could always watch. My biggest gripe is that they didn't port over John McTiernan's commentary track, so if you want to play that you have to go to the DVD.

I bought it for my wife for her birthday in April and we were both thought it was gorgeous. I'm sure other people with more discerning eyes can nitpick it to death; there's always someone who isn't impressed by these releases.
Old 12-19-10, 05:09 PM
  #854  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 35,385
Received 454 Likes on 393 Posts
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Any feedback on The Thomas Crown Affair? As someone mentioned, this is a guilty pleasure movie for me. When just want to chill I'll watch. But have on DVD (obviously). Worth the $8.00 for BD?

Also been wanted to grab Highlander. But again, I have in DVD (but is a shitty version). But that hasn't really budged in price.
Originally Posted by MinLShaw
The nice thing about The Thomas Crown Affair is that it includes the previous DVD release as well. So if for some reason you're unsatisfied with the A/V quality, you can still watch the exact same DVD you could always watch. My biggest gripe is that they didn't port over John McTiernan's commentary track, so if you want to play that you have to go to the DVD.

I bought it for my wife for her birthday in April and we were both thought it was gorgeous. I'm sure other people with more discerning eyes can nitpick it to death; there's always someone who isn't impressed by these releases.
Thanks so much for the comments. Based on that and the DVDTalk review, I'm getting for myself for a stocking stuffer.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/42202...ffair/?___rd=1

Plus shows double that price at Amazon (tho I'm sure a different version or something. But bet exact same BD movie).
Old 12-19-10, 05:11 PM
  #855  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Travis McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 7,758
Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Thanks so much for the comments. Based on that and the DVDTalk review, I'm getting for myself for a stocking stuffer.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/42202...ffair/?___rd=1

Plus shows double that price at Amazon (tho I'm sure a different version or something. But bet exact same BD movie).
Glad to help! At the very least, you can now flip your old DVD (it's not really worth anything, of course) and replace it with the BD/DVD package that takes up less space.
Old 12-19-10, 05:17 PM
  #856  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 35,385
Received 454 Likes on 393 Posts
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
^ Thanks for reminding me that I have a list of the $8 BD's on my Blackberry.

Basic Instinct
Hoosiers
The Manchurian Candidate
The Thomas Crown Affair
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Major League
The Usual Suspects
Without a Paddle
Zack and Miri Make a Porno
3:10 to Yuma (Crowe/Bale version)
Bangkok Dangerous
The Bank Job
Battle of Britain
Bulletproof Monk
Chaos
Crank
Crank 2
Flyboys
Hart's War
Hellboy: Sword of Storms and Blood & Iron
Tomb Raider
Megafault/2012 Supernova
Navy Seals
Ninja
Outlander
The Proposition
The Punisher (I think it was the Lundgren version)
Rescue Dawn
Reservoir Dogs
Righteous Kill
Ronin
Species
The Terminator
To Live and Die in L.A.
War
We Were Soldiers
Windtalkers
Young Guns
Haunting of Winchester House
The Silence of the Lambs

Some of these titles have been spotted in a $10 combo pack. I think Crank and Chaos was one.
Nice job! I wasn't going to stand there and type them all in. List is better than a picture.
Old 12-19-10, 05:20 PM
  #857  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 35,385
Received 454 Likes on 393 Posts
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Glad to help! At the very least, you can now flip your old DVD (it's not really worth anything, of course) and replace it with the BD/DVD package that takes up less space.
I had been moving the few double buys I had to living room since I didn't have a BD player in there (PS3 is in media room).

But getting a BD player for living room for Christmas. So not sure what I'll do with the double now. But only have a few anyway.
Old 12-19-10, 06:58 PM
  #858  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,987
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by D'ohboy
Stripped down versions.
Well then that's money saved. Stick with my DVD's.
Old 12-19-10, 09:11 PM
  #859  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 35,385
Received 454 Likes on 393 Posts
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Stopped by Wally World after gym to pick up milk. Did grab The Thomas Crown Affair. Put in my stocking. Ha!
Old 12-20-10, 08:23 AM
  #860  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 196
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Picked up The Thomas Crown Affair on the way to work this morning. Thanks to everyone that pointed this out!
Old 12-20-10, 12:05 PM
  #861  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,944
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll agree with the comments above about The Thomas Crown Affair. I was happy to get it for $12 a while back, for $8 it is a steal.

Rene Russo
Spoiler:
is about my age
and was about 45 when she made the movie. I think she looked damn good for mid 40s.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only fan of that movie.
Old 12-20-10, 12:08 PM
  #862  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Travis McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 7,758
Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Other than the older crowd that always feels obliged to inform us how much better the Steve McQueen version was, I don't think I've ever heard anyone badmouth the '99 remake of Thomas Crown. I know it rates higher with some people than others, but my sense was that nearly everyone liked it.
Old 12-20-10, 03:02 PM
  #863  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: the Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 7,944
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Other than the older crowd that always feels obliged to inform us how much better the Steve McQueen version was, I don't think I've ever heard anyone badmouth the '99 remake of Thomas Crown. I know it rates higher with some people than others, but my sense was that nearly everyone liked it.
You might be surprised if you were to post such thoughts in the Movie Forum.

I've seen both versions, during their original theatrical runs, and the '99 version is way more fun. (As a former sailplane pilot I enjoyed the flying sequences in both, however.)

But I have found that many of my favorite movies are routinely trashed here at DVD Talk, which I find wearing after awhile. I prefer the old advice:
Spoiler:
"If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." However, this is the antithesis of DVD Talk protocol.
So, I rarely mention which movies I like or dislike. It's not worth the aggravation.
Old 12-20-10, 08:54 PM
  #864  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 35,385
Received 454 Likes on 393 Posts
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by lizard
I'll agree with the comments above about The Thomas Crown Affair. I was happy to get it for $12 a while back, for $8 it is a steal.

Rene Russo
Spoiler:
is about my age
and was about 45 when she made the movie. I think she looked damn good for mid 40s.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only fan of that movie.
While of course we all know she has a topless scene in the movie the really hot scene to me is when she shows up uninvited all pissed off at a black tie event in that red sheer (basically transparent) dress. I can't wait to see that in HD...

Oh it is a fun, light, well paced and yea, I'll say, well acted. Film. No, not a lot of depth in characters and certainly a simple story. But I love the end in the museum "Let's play ball".

And the commentary is pretty solid as well. Nothing earth shattering, but some interesting points thru the movie.
Old 12-20-10, 09:14 PM
  #865  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 35,385
Received 454 Likes on 393 Posts
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Has anyone seen Moulin Rouge at Walmart?

I have one of the $3.00 off coupons for it, but haven't found a decent deal yet. BB had it for $19 I think, but thought I could do better. Yet, I have yet to find it at any of my normal Walmarts.
Old 12-20-10, 09:29 PM
  #866  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Travis McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 7,758
Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
While of course we all know she has a topless scene in the movie the really hot scene to me is when she shows up uninvited all pissed off at a black tie event in that red sheer (basically transparent) dress. I can't wait to see that in HD...
Yeah, that was pretty hot. I don't know why, but I always liked that simple shot of the two of them lying in bed, her atop his backside while casually continuing their mutual taunts. It struck me as unusual, and kudos to both actors for shooting it.

And the commentary is pretty solid as well. Nothing earth shattering, but some interesting points thru the movie.
It was in the commentary that I learned they entirely made up that bit about museums photographing the borders of a painting. Not really knowing much about museums or art, for that matter, I just kind of went along with it. It sounded plausible enough to me in the movie. Ah, movies. You keep deceiving me, but then you tell me about it so I guess we're okay.

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Has anyone seen Moulin Rouge at Walmart?

I have one of the $3.00 off coupons for it, but haven't found a decent deal yet. BB had it for $19 I think, but thought I could do better. Yet, I have yet to find it at any of my normal Walmarts.
Every time I see it at my local Walmart, it's still $19.96. Of course, YMMV.
Old 12-21-10, 09:50 AM
  #867  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Manzana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,514
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by lizard
You might be surprised if you were to post such thoughts in the Movie Forum.

I've seen both versions, during their original theatrical runs, and the '99 version is way more fun. (As a former sailplane pilot I enjoyed the flying sequences in both, however.)
I'll throw in my opinion since I know everyone loves to hear it: the newer version of Thomas Crown Affair was definitely faster moving and more interesting, however when I watched it with my family we were rather shocked by how much sex and nudity was in it (IIRC). The Steve McQueen version was a bit boring at times and I didn't care for the frequent collage-box of different images, but I prefer Steve over Pierce. So I rate them both as just "OK", but they are not movies I tend to revisit and hence would have to be $5 or less on BD for me to buy.

Originally Posted by lizard
But I have found that many of my favorite movies are routinely trashed here at DVD Talk, which I find wearing after awhile. I prefer the old advice: "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." However, this is the antithesis of DVD Talk protocol. So, I rarely mention which movies I like or dislike. It's not worth the aggravation.
If I followed your advice, then I'd probably never post on DVD Talk. :-) Bashing is fun, especially if it's my un-favorite store, Best... something? I preferred the way Thumper said it: "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all".
Old 12-22-10, 11:55 AM
  #868  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 35,385
Received 454 Likes on 393 Posts
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Yeah, that was pretty hot. I don't know why, but I always liked that simple shot of the two of them lying in bed, her atop his backside while casually continuing their mutual taunts. It struck me as unusual, and kudos to both actors for shooting it.



It was in the commentary that I learned they entirely made up that bit about museums photographing the borders of a painting. Not really knowing much about museums or art, for that matter, I just kind of went along with it. It sounded plausible enough to me in the movie. Ah, movies. You keep deceiving me, but then you tell me about it so I guess we're okay.



Every time I see it at my local Walmart, it's still $19.96. Of course, YMMV.
Yea...there were a few small gems in the commentary. I also thought it interesting that the museum didn't really have those steal shutters to protect the paintings from water when the sprinkler system is activated. That would seem like a good idea.

Also, I thought cleaver how how near the end when the other painting was stolen the director/writers had an elaborate explanation but ended up just dumping it for a "shrug". Think that worked much better. The movie is light and fun. Details aren't really that important. More important to keep it moving.

And in the I liked in the topless scene something about, how feedback given to the director was with her topless he didn't pay attention to what the characters were saying. The director basically said "that was the idea"...lol
Old 12-22-10, 04:24 PM
  #869  
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

I picked up the gift wrapped Blu of The Hangover today for 10 bucks. Is there any difference from the regular unwrapped one? I hope its the extended version with extras...
Old 12-25-10, 06:53 PM
  #870  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 35,385
Received 454 Likes on 393 Posts
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

So I had picked up a couple of those $10 gift wrapped BD.

Was watching a little football so thought I'd try to get those $5.00 concession certificates. What a freaking pain in the a$$!!! And it still didn't print properly! Questionable if even worth the effort.

I can't believe you have to put a name on them and pick a theater. WTF? Just let us print a generic certificate....

On top of that, the certificate expires 1/9/11! WTF?!!

They send you a confirmation email, so I'm hoping I can reprint. But I had printed exactly as they had said "save your in and set your printer to B&W". Well it printed the totally worthless and needless huge picture and the information (with the number and name of the person) at the bottom did not print at all.

I will be sending a email to WB...inexcusable the amount to effort to print them out. Also think they should have warned you that you would have to provide personal information to get the certificate. Tho I made up the phone number and address.
Old 12-25-10, 10:37 PM
  #871  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 171
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Is there anyone that won't be using their $5 concession codes from the walmart blurays? If you don't plan on using yours, can i em? PM me. thanks
Old 12-25-10, 11:59 PM
  #872  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Travis McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 7,758
Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Was watching a little football so thought I'd try to get those $5.00 concession certificates. What a freaking pain in the a$$!!! And it still didn't print properly! Questionable if even worth the effort.

I can't believe you have to put a name on them and pick a theater. WTF? Just let us print a generic certificate....

On top of that, the certificate expires 1/9/11! WTF?!!
That's how the movie ticket for Toy Story 3 from Disney was. I expected to get a generic, all-purpose printout and was quite reluctant when I was asked which theater. If anyone knows the logic behind this, I would genuinely appreciate it being shared with the rest of the class. If they're wanting to monitor volume of usage at specific chains or local places or whatever, it seems to me they can do that from the actual usage data and not pre-usage declarations.
Old 12-26-10, 10:32 AM
  #873  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
lordzeppelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Pittsburgh, PA GO PENS!
Posts: 4,946
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
That's how the movie ticket for Toy Story 3 from Disney was. I expected to get a generic, all-purpose printout and was quite reluctant when I was asked which theater. If anyone knows the logic behind this, I would genuinely appreciate it being shared with the rest of the class. If they're wanting to monitor volume of usage at specific chains or local places or whatever, it seems to me they can do that from the actual usage data and not pre-usage declarations.
Having worked with that company before...the theaters and chains have to Opt-in. Plus, it's structured the way it is so it can be used at most theaters because they can accept checks or the one-time use credit numbers...HOWEVER, just because it says 'theater x' it doesn't matter and can be used elsewhere.
Old 12-26-10, 10:58 AM
  #874  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Travis McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 7,758
Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
Having worked with that company before...the theaters and chains have to Opt-in. Plus, it's structured the way it is so it can be used at most theaters because they can accept checks or the one-time use credit numbers...HOWEVER, just because it says 'theater x' it doesn't matter and can be used elsewhere.
I don't mean for my questions to come off as a challenge to your experience in anyway, but I am curious. Shouldn't those theaters/chains have opted into the program before the redemption program is ever accessible to consumers? Also, I thought I'd seen some small fine print somewhere with the Toy Story 3 movie cash that we weren't, in fact, restricted to whichever theater we selected, but I wasn't convinced I had seen it and didn't think I could prove it so I omitted any such reference. Nice to have some corroboration about that, though.
Old 12-26-10, 11:33 AM
  #875  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 35,385
Received 454 Likes on 393 Posts
re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

In fairness (and something I had not noticed) the sticker on these does say;

Internet access and printer required
Participating theaters
Valid 12/17-1/9
Must provide name and email

So my bad for not reading the details. And I would have bought the movies (only bought 2) even without them.

However, would have been a nice bonus. In fact son went to movies, but since I couldn't get the certificate to print properly, he couldn't use.

I'm sure my printer or computer or my fault, but it is easy to jump to a conspiracy theory when it will print 3/4 of the page with the useless graphic, but not the end of the page which is the actual certificate.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.