DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/560355-walmart-walmart-com-discounts-deals-blu-ray.html)

LoPan5705 09-22-09 02:34 PM

re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan (Post 9722275)
Wonder how long befor ethey hit $5 or Big Lots!?

Not sure about Big Lots, but I'm thinking that Wal-mart will pull some $5 Blu-ray dvds out for black friday this year, imho.

b2net 09-22-09 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by LoPan5705 (Post 9724597)
Not sure about Big Lots, but I'm thinking that Wal-mart will pull some $5 Blu-ray dvds out for black friday this year, imho.

and hopefully Amazon will do the price matching like they did last year... so we can all shop from the comfort of our homes and have the same Black Friday Deasl w/o the headache of the crowds..

krampster 09-24-09 11:14 AM

B2net is right--the online approach was the absolute best way to go last Black Friday--good deals and no lost sleep!

lizard 09-27-09 12:50 PM

Got a chance to check out the nearest Wal-mart a couple of days ago and it had a display with many of the titles mentioned above at a nice round $20 each. Go figure.

dsa_shea 09-27-09 05:51 PM

None of the Wal-Marts here have even a decent selection of BDs. One even has just one glass case and keeps them all locked up. It is funny that they lock up a 10 dollar BD but yet keep 20+ dollar priced dvds and sets out in the open for the taking.

Torchur317 09-27-09 05:59 PM

None of my WMs have these new $10 BRs.... :(

asianxcore 09-28-09 12:12 AM

Rohnert Park, CA had all of the $10 Blu-Ray's listed.

Picked up Evil Dead 2 and Halloween. I thought about Midnight Movie but I hadn't heard anything about it other than a write-up in Fangoria.

Moleman1138 09-29-09 10:27 PM

14.96 blu-rays

Across the Univrse
Superbad
Hancock
Talladega Nights
Water Horse

3-4 others as well. I'm thinking Across the Universe and Superbad at the minimum

abintra 09-29-09 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Moleman1138 (Post 9740751)
I'm thinking Across the Universe and Superbad at the minimum

The reseller market seems to have decent prices in comparison to retailers so make sure one checks those for interested titles also. The Water Horse is available for around $10 via those sources currently.

PopcornBandit 09-30-09 08:38 AM

14.96 blu-rays

Across the Univrse
Superbad
Hancock
Talladega Nights
Water Horse

3-4 others as well. I'm thinking Across the Universe and Superbad at the minimum

I'm definitely going to have to pick up Superbad.

bmvtoys 09-30-09 10:40 AM

Dogma is on the $14.96 rack too, not sure if that was stated yet.

b

Edison 09-30-09 11:36 AM

One of the stores here moved the $10 endcap out to the main aisle, less titles than before but they had added Out of Time, Walking Tall, and Navy Seals (these were all 2-disc editions Blu-ray, and DVD).

They also set up an endcap with a TV/Blu-ray player which had 2 rows of movies all the way around the bottom with the $14.96 titles mentioned plus some others.

Moleman1138 09-30-09 04:50 PM

Yes I remember Dogma as well.

adding:
Untraceable
Into the Blue

Snowmaker 10-01-09 07:46 AM

Saw no sign of a $14.96 selection yet this morning, and the $10 section has now been reduced to less than 1/2 of what it was originally.

rkndkn 10-01-09 12:44 PM

"The Holiday" was at the $14.9x price, too.

I'm getting really annoyed with WM. No "Silverado" yet at mine, and none of the $10 titles I want.

cinemaphile 10-01-09 01:18 PM

Another of the $14.96 Blu's was THE BIG HIT. I love that flick! It's really a fun movie.

gimmepilotwings 10-01-09 02:39 PM

14.96 blu-rays

Across the Univrse
Superbad
Hancock
Talladega Nights
Water Horse

I'll sell you mine for like $10 shipped if you want it.

kk725 10-01-09 05:48 PM

Had to hunt for it, but found my Walmart's $10 BDs setup on one side of a four-sided media rack. The only one I saw from photos in earlier posts that I was interested was Rescue Dawn, and they had it! :thumbsup:

tofferman 10-01-09 06:46 PM

Bought Superbad and Silverado for $14.96 each. :up:

Moleman1138 10-05-09 11:01 AM

In the new ad, it looks like Transformers 2 is going for $19.96

WMAangel 10-05-09 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Moleman1138 (Post 9752548)
In the new ad, it looks like Transformers 2 is going for $19.96

It is, AND Walmart will have the exclusive IMAX version of the film....now let's just hope they didn't use a complete Imax print for the BD transfer (like Warner did with The Dark Knight), and instead they only spliced in and used the Imax footage where necessary!

Matthew Chmiel 10-05-09 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by WMAangel (Post 9753350)
It is, AND Walmart will have the exclusive IMAX version of the film....now let's just hope they didn't use a complete Imax print for the BD transfer (like Warner did with The Dark Knight), and instead they only spliced in and used the Imax footage where necessary!

Huh?

All copies of the film on Blu-ray will be the "IMAX version."

WMAangel 10-05-09 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 9753740)
Huh?

All copies of the film on Blu-ray will be the "IMAX version."

No, only the Walmart exclusive version will be the Imax version, as confirmed right here on Bay's official forum by their administrator:
http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum...ead.php?t=5972

Also, a "Two-Disc Big Screen Version" with different cover art was featured in Walmart's latest ad....as seen here:

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z.../walmart-1.jpg

Matthew Chmiel 10-06-09 01:41 AM

Yeah, I just caught the thread over in HD Talk.

Wow.

Not like I'm going to buy the film anyway, but wow.

I really wish studios used seamless branching. :(

styl3s 10-08-09 08:44 AM

transformers 2 releases the 20th of this month? nice! did not know that.

JimRochester 10-08-09 09:19 AM

Stopped by the local Wal Mart yesterday and the selction of Blu-Rays was horrible. They had two sets of shelves dedicated to BR and most of the slots were empty.

Adam Tyner 10-08-09 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by JimRochester (Post 9759474)
Stopped by the local Wal Mart yesterday and the selction of Blu-Rays was horrible.

Yeah, the store next to me slashed their selection at least in half...probably closer to 2/3rds...in just the past couple of months. It's down probably 75% compared to a year ago, although they kept a lot of their titles completely inaccessible back then. (Most were locked up, and only a handful were facing out. The rest were just randomly piled together, but because they were out of view, you had to get someone to unlock the case to really see what they had. ?????)

My local Wal-Mart has them spread in three sections: the discount section on an end cap, two small columns of random movies, and then another end cap with a small skirt of titles at the bottom.

D-X 10-08-09 11:57 AM

JUst an FYI, but Walmart is starting to move some of the BD catalog titles to the lower priced H rack if your still has that fixture.

Adam Tyner 10-08-09 12:39 PM

Mine does, and I've seen Blu-ray titles there before, but I didn't spot any the last time I was there. They do seem to put 'em all over. When they're highlighting a brand new release, they'll sometimes have the DVD and the Blu-ray next to each other on and endcap. I don't remember seeing anything like that when I looked the other day, though.

(I was trying to burn off a gift card I was given last year and figured I'd use it to get Trick 'r Treat for just a few bucks...no dice, though.)

DonTHX1378 10-15-09 03:34 PM

Was in Wal-Mart today and found Natural Born Killers: The Directors Cut for $19.99. Best Buy had it in there ad for $22.99 and was going to maybe pick it up there, since I never thought Wal-Mart would get this.

AmityBoatTours 10-17-09 09:37 PM

Since I really dont go to wal mart to much anymore (just cause its out of the way ) how has walmart been in stocking big blockbuster titles like transformers, i have class tuesday morning till 10am so i wont be able to get there at open which at the one here is 8am I just want to make sure i get a copy of the Imax version.

Originally Posted by WMAangel (Post 9753804)
No, only the Walmart exclusive version will be the Imax version, as confirmed right here on Bay's official forum by their administrator:
http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum...ead.php?t=5972

Also, a "Two-Disc Big Screen Version" with different cover art was featured in Walmart's latest ad....as seen here:

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z.../walmart-1.jpg

JimRochester 10-17-09 10:39 PM

Usually the new releases they'll have a few copies, but for the most part they aren't big supporters of Blu-ray in this part of the state.

SPIDERone 10-18-09 12:16 AM

The one down here is usually pretty good about 'big titles' - they had probably ~50 Snow White and Wolverine upon release. Most other titles they'll stock 5-8 of.

With this being an exclusive for them, I'd hope they stock quite a few but I'll be there at midnight.

ksyblues 10-18-09 08:44 AM

don't forget the $3 off pappa johns coupon for transformers 2.making it $16.96 pretax.gotta have the imax version!!

AmityBoatTours 10-20-09 12:03 AM

anyone back east hit any of the 24 hour walmarts for transformers 2 yet? just curious how it seems to be stocking. the few walmarts there are in socal are not 24 hour ones so they dont open till8am so iam afraid they will be sold out by the time i get out of class at about 930am,10am.
and i havent really gotten much of an answer when i have called to check stock in fact two of them said it might not be instock for the bluray till wed for some reason.
toying with just going ahead and ordering it off walmart.com

ds6161 10-20-09 12:23 AM

If going Blu ask at the Electronics counter. They seem to be keeping them behind the counter.
The DVD's are out front and in back.

SPIDERone 10-20-09 12:41 AM

I've been hearing reports of Lots of DVDs (~200+) and very few blu (~10-20). Heading out in a few minutes to grab one..

cinemaphile 10-20-09 12:43 AM

Just got home from Walmart - They had tons of Transformers 2 DVD's in cardboard displays and such. As for BLU, they werent unpacked yet (I had to tell the clerk which box they were in - I love when I know more than the people actually WORKING there!), and it appeared they had 2 cases, or about 60 copies. Now, they may have had more in back, but they had at least that many available. The reports of low quantities are probably just because they didnt put them all out right away at midnight.

p.s. Jumped to the forest fight scene, knowing that was surely one of the "Imax" scenes.... looks AWESOME when it goes to Imax ratio!!!

AmityBoatTours 10-20-09 01:35 AM

Well even though its about 3 dollars more i decided to brake down and just order it online with free site to store shipping,just to cover my butt incase they dont have any in the morning, by the time i get there after class. If they do have them in stock in the morning though i can always just cancel my online order before it ships or if they ship it right away in the morning i can just have them refund it at the store when it gets there instead of picking it up.
I might have to wait 7to10 days to get it but atleast now i know i wont be disapointed, the fact that iam seeing so many people on here and bluray.com saying they are going and picking up 2, 5, or 7 copies had me really worried about finding this in the morning.

Now my only concern is that the site to store order arrives that some dumbAZZ employee sees my copy when it arrives and decides to buy it for himself or gives it to someone else looking for the limited edition, and i get stuck with the regular version. but honestly dont expect that to happen lol

dan30oly 10-20-09 03:23 AM

Picked mine up shortly after midnight.

Will watch it approximately 1 year from now and will let you know what I think.