Last edit by: TheBang
deleted
Print Wikipost

Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Old 10-26-22, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 841 Likes on 708 Posts
Re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Walmart's media selection last year for Black Friday was quite unimpressive. Probably the worst they've ever had in the DVD/BD/UHD eras.
Old 10-27-22, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 457 Likes on 315 Posts

They've at least announced the structure. They are once again doing the "multiple events" thing throughout the month:

"Paid Walmart+ members will have the advantage of an extended early access window that begins seven hours before the scheduled start times for all three events on Walmart.com."

Here's what customers can look forward to from Walmart’s “Black Friday Deals for Days” savings events:
  • Event 1 (Deals begin online Nov. 7 at 7 p.m. ET and continue in stores Nov. 9): Walmart+ Early Access runs 12 p.m. ET – 7 p.m. ET on Mon., Nov. 7.
  • Event 2 (Deals begin online Nov. 14 at 7 p.m. ET and continue in stores Nov. 16): Walmart+ Early Access runs 12 p.m. ET – 7 p.m. ET on Mon., Nov. 14.
  • Event 3 (Deals begin online Nov. 21 at 7 p.m. ET and continue in stores Nov. 25): Walmart+ Early Access runs 12 p.m. ET – 7 p.m. ET on Mon., Nov. 21.
  • Cyber Monday (Nov. 28): Walmart will close out a month of incredible savings with its Cyber Monday event.
The following users liked this post:
Mickactual (10-30-22)
Old 10-27-22, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree their selections last Black Friday weren't great.

i'm guessing it may be the second event that had the physical media for sale. Last 2 years were the second one. Waiting for confirmation.

Hopefully Best Buy would have a good selection.

Not hopeful for Target. Target has been downsizing their movies section. It's like a new release section and a boxed set section. And an endcap with movies under $10. Used to have 2 long row sections. Then 1. Vinyls and books have replaced them. So sad.
Old 10-28-22, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

All of the chains are that way where I live.
Old 10-30-22, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,826 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Some Walmarts still have a rather extensive DVD/blu-ray section. Much better than Best Buy or Target. The selection isn't great, though. Lots of b-movies and double/triple features and the like.
Old 11-03-22, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Walmarts I see are actually going backwards - more DVDs than BDs these days.
Old 11-04-22, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The Walmarts I see are actually going backwards - more DVDs than BDs these days.
That actually makes sense to me. While I will usually choose blu for the quality; the movie co's slit their own wrists on blu with the ridiculous copyguards. For the average person, it's too much work having to bookmark your spot when you're going to finish the film at a later viewing, wait 5 minutes for the disc to load, all the pup's, etc, etc, etc. And the copy guards only prevent non techys from doing whatever; I've never seen a copyguard that stops a true skilled pirate. And there is nothing more irritating than a blu that won't play at all because of a required firmware upgrade. DVD's don't have those issues.

Other than really high price, I have no idea what issues 4k discs have. What I do know is I have a 4k 2022 Sony TV, & I don't see much if any difference between 4k & 1080 streams. I don't have a 4k disc player, so I can't really comment on 4k disc vs blu disc quality.
Old 11-04-22, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
That actually makes sense to me. While I will usually choose blu for the quality; the movie co's slit their own wrists on blu with the ridiculous copyguards. For the average person, it's too much work having to bookmark your spot when you're going to finish the film at a later viewing, wait 5 minutes for the disc to load, all the pup's, etc, etc, etc. And the copy guards only prevent non techys from doing whatever; I've never seen a copyguard that stops a true skilled pirate. And there is nothing more irritating than a blu that won't play at all because of a required firmware upgrade. DVD's don't have those issues.

Other than really high price, I have no idea what issues 4k discs have. What I do know is I have a 4k 2022 Sony TV, & I don't see much if any difference between 4k & 1080 streams. I don't have a 4k disc player, so I can't really comment on 4k disc vs blu disc quality.
I thought I was the only one annoyed by the lack of a resume feature like DVD had (I realize there are workarounds but it's inconsistent).
Old 11-04-22, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I thought I was the only one annoyed by the lack of a resume feature like DVD had (I realize there are workarounds but it's inconsistent).
Yeah. Talk about going backward. We lost features with blue ray. That being said, Walmart "going backwards" as another poster claimed is ridiculous. They are stocking what sells. DVD outsells blue still.
Old 11-04-22, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I think the line we were all sold that DVDs (and maybe Blu-ray as well) are obsolete was a bunch of BS to hype streaming.
Old 11-04-22, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I think the line we were all sold that DVDs (and maybe Blu-ray as well) are obsolete was a bunch of BS to hype streaming.
They never killed DVD like they did VHS, plus DVD/BD combos made it easy to never buy a BD player.
Old 11-06-22, 12:02 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
About a year ago, I read a report on one of the entertainment industry websites (Variety or Hollywood Reporter or something like that) that Walmart was single-handedly keeping the DVD market alive.

Walmart requires the studios provide DVDs since a majority of their shoppers still prefer them, and their lower prices, over Blu and 4K. Walmart specifically warned studios that they will NOT carry Blu-rays or 4K discs unless the studios also provide Walmart with a DVD version to sell.

So, for me, this explains why the DVD format didn't die years ago. One would think it would be in the best interest of the studios and the electronic manufacturers to kill off DVDs and force consumers to upgrade across the board.
Old 11-06-22, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Killing off dvds and forcing the upgrade would bring bd and 4k prices down, you would think. It would also encourage more to upgrade their tvs. At some point you have to move up from pagers and rotary phones.
Old 11-06-22, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The studios likely believe the remaining DVD market won't upgrade to BD and UHD, they'll simply forego all non-free content. Probably older consumers who aren't inclined to stream anyway, so Hollywood would lose out revenue they won't recoup.
Old 11-06-22, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 667 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by rich-y
About a year ago, I read a report on one of the entertainment industry websites (Variety or Hollywood Reporter or something like that) that Walmart was single-handedly keeping the DVD market alive.

Walmart requires the studios provide DVDs since a majority of their shoppers still prefer them, and their lower prices, over Blu and 4K. Walmart specifically warned studios that they will NOT carry Blu-rays or 4K discs unless the studios also provide Walmart with a DVD version to sell.

So, for me, this explains why the DVD format didn't die years ago. One would think it would be in the best interest of the studios and the electronic manufacturers to kill off DVDs and force consumers to upgrade across the board.
I'd guess that's because the bulk of WMs customer base are generally uneducated about BR - mostly the players. I was talking to one of my wife's cousins just a couple of weeks ago and commented I watch DVDs and BRs. She was surprised and said "You have *two* players?!" and I replied "No need... BR players will play DVDs just fine and likely better quality than a DVD player." She was surprised (and she's in her late 30s) - "I didn't know that!" There are lots and lots of people out there who are clueless because the manufacturers didn't make that a selling point. People still think they have to have both a BR and DVD player to play each type of media. If they'd just replace their DVD players with BR players they'd also likely start purchasing BRs.
Old 11-06-22, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'd guess that's because the bulk of WMs customer base are generally uneducated about BR - mostly the players. I was talking to one of my wife's cousins just a couple of weeks ago and commented I watch DVDs and BRs. She was surprised and said "You have *two* players?!" and I replied "No need... BR players will play DVDs just fine and likely better quality than a DVD player." She was surprised (and she's in her late 30s) - "I didn't know that!" There are lots and lots of people out there who are clueless because the manufacturers didn't make that a selling point. People still think they have to have both a BR and DVD player to play each type of media. If they'd just replace their DVD players with BR players they'd also likely start purchasing BRs.
It is quite shocking how inept blu-ray marketing has been.
The following 2 users liked this post by randian:
BobO'Link (11-06-22), MooMooMooMoo (11-07-22)
Old 11-07-22, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by randian
It is quite shocking how inept blu-ray marketing has been.
Along with my previous comment about extremely obnoxious copy guards & firmware, I 100% agree. I also know people who don't realize that br players play dvd (& there are very cheap models).
Old 11-08-22, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,826 Likes on 1,943 Posts

It's the paradox of "backward compatability."

People are reluctant to upgrade to a new format unless all of their old software still works with it. Which works out great in the beginning because your new blu-ray player will play all of your old DVDs.

But then, Walmart (and other retailers, and even some producers) look at the numbers, and they figure that there is only so much shelf space available, and DVD players outnumber blu-ray players 10 to 1. DVDs will play on blu-ray players. Blu-rays won't play on DVD players. So we might as well favor DVD since shelf space is limited and the DVD format has ten times the market penetration. This, in turn, stunts the growth of the superior blu-ray format.
Old 11-09-22, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

My WM might not have a huge 4K section but it has some. And a good BD selection.
Old 11-09-22, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It's the paradox of "backward compatability."

People are reluctant to upgrade to a new format unless all of their old software still works with it. Which works out great in the beginning because your new blu-ray player will play all of your old DVDs.

But then, Walmart (and other retailers, and even some producers) look at the numbers, and they figure that there is only so much shelf space available, and DVD players outnumber blu-ray players 10 to 1. DVDs will play on blu-ray players. Blu-rays won't play on DVD players. So we might as well favor DVD since shelf space is limited and the DVD format has ten times the market penetration. This, in turn, stunts the growth of the superior blu-ray format.
I was surprised to find that my Oppo 95 (HDMI) 2.1 is NOT 100% compatible with my otherwise excellent Sony KD55X85J (HDMI 3.x). The screen goes black for a couple seconds intermittently, Both companies have told me that is the issue. I wish the retailer would have bothered to tell me.................
Old 11-10-22, 10:19 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I was surprised to find that my Oppo 95 (HDMI) 2.1 is NOT 100% compatible with my otherwise excellent Sony KD55X85J (HDMI 3.x). The screen goes black for a couple seconds intermittently, Both companies have told me that is the issue. I wish the retailer would have bothered to tell me.................
Hdmi 3 x? I am not even aware of that nor that new tvs only supported that version. None of the 4k/bd players that I am aware of supports 3.x
Old 11-10-22, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 667 Likes on 484 Posts

Is there not a setting in the TV to change that spec? We have dozens of "SmartDisplay" devices (education) that have settings for the HDMI which allows changing the type/protocol (down to 1.x if necessary) if you have something connected that's not fully compatible with the newer specs.
Old 11-10-22, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cinemaman
Hdmi 3 x? I am not even aware of that nor that new tvs only supported that version. None of the 4k/bd players that I am aware of supports 3.x
Yep, the Sony only supports 3.x. No issues with streaming, just with my Oppo. And the Oppo has no issues with other, older TV's. I spent several hours on the phone about a year ago, including with an upper level Sony manager.

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 11-10-22 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-10-22, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Is there not a setting in the TV to change that spec? We have dozens of "SmartDisplay" devices (education) that have settings for the HDMI which allows changing the type/protocol (down to 1.x if necessary) if you have something connected that's not fully compatible with the newer specs.
The Sony only offers the "CEC" option. Sony suggested trying that, & the TV BADLY overheated.
Old 11-13-22, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Walmart seems to have started selling a lot of media through 3rd parties including Deep Discount, GRUV, and something called Dot & Bo | OSP Holdings, Inc.. Its not everything but a large percentage of media is only from 3rd parties at Walmart. Which means the items most likely will not be in stores.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.