DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/560355-walmart-walmart-com-discounts-deals-blu-ray.html)

surfingelectrod 02-12-10 09:09 PM

Re: $10 Blu-rays @ Wal-Mart

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 9994978)
They had Donnie Darko for $10 around the holiday season, but I haven't seen any in stores for about a month or so.

I was able to pricematch it at Best Buy today. :D

tofferman 02-12-10 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Moopher (Post 9993667)
I'm kind of disappointed. It looks like my walmart cut their BD selection in half...I've only been able to find a few sony titles on an endcap, and a tiny rack in the middle of the DVD aisle with the new BD's on it. It was about fully restocked too, cause I had stopped in several times to check out the new selections and it seemed like it was taking them eons to get all the movies in their place.

Sounds like my Walmart. They only had the $10 Lionsgate titles released this past Tuesday (i.e. Running Man, Phantom) and a couple of other newly released titles like Time Travelers Wife and Couples Retreat.

I asked the customer service rep about what I had read regarding other locations having these large blu-ray displays and he said they didn't get anything like that.

As usual with Walmart, YMMV...

The YMMV nature of Walmart is the #1 reason I hate shopping there.

Josh-da-man 02-13-10 02:04 AM

Picked up Close Encounters of the Third Kind ($15) and Resident Evil ($10).

They had a bunch of $10-$15 Blu-rays in the big "H" shaped rack in fron of the electronics section, with the BRs on the four short tips of the "H" -- probably about sixty or so in total.

Almost grabbed "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" for $15, but passed since I remember some bad reports about the transfer.

Star Wars Guy 02-13-10 09:48 AM

Keep in mind that the BD of Live Free or Die Hard only has the PG-13 cut. I'm waiting until they release it with the unrated cut.

Kory 02-13-10 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 9996922)
Picked up Close Encounters of the Third Kind ($15) and Resident Evil ($10).

They had a bunch of $10-$15 Blu-rays in the big "H" shaped rack in fron of the electronics section, with the BRs on the four short tips of the "H" -- probably about sixty or so in total.

Almost grabbed "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" for $15, but passed since I remember some bad reports about the transfer.

Never heard any serious complaints about the transfer, but what's keeping me from buying it is the fact that almost all of the special features aren't even actually on the disc, but rather are available via BD-Live. That's pretty much bullshit, in my opinion, so I'm boycotting the disc. I don't like that I wouldn't physically own the special features, and if they decided to take them off their server or something, then I'm shit out of luck. I'll stick with my DVD.

Edit: If I found a copy for around $5 new or used though, I'd have no choice but to suck it up and buy it.

godzilla rules 02-13-10 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kory (Post 9997238)
Never heard any serious complaints about the transfer, but what's keeping me from buying it is the fact that almost all of the special features aren't even actually on the disc, but rather are available via BD-Live. That's pretty much bullshit, in my opinion, so I'm boycotting the disc. I don't like that I wouldn't physically own the special features, and if they decided to take them off their server or something, then I'm shit out of luck. I'll stick with my DVD.

Edit: If I found a copy for around $5 new or used though, I'd have no choice but to suck it up and buy it.

From looking at my blu-ray, most if not all the special features are on the disc.

Kory 02-13-10 02:28 PM

Really? Everything I've read has suggested that most of them are BD-Live only. Hmmm.

styl3s 02-13-10 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Star Wars Guy (Post 9997105)
Keep in mind that the BD of Live Free or Die Hard only has the PG-13 cut. I'm waiting until they release it with the unrated cut.

IMO the uncut version is worse with the horrible cg blood and terrible cuss dubs

Indy Jones Fan 02-13-10 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by styl3s (Post 9997510)
IMO the uncut version is worse with the horrible cg blood and terrible cuss dubs

X2

Stick with the theatrical version.

styl3s 02-13-10 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Indy Jones Fan (Post 9997666)
X2

Stick with the theatrical version.

seriously it completely ruins the movie.. they rushed it the CG blood and horribly dubbed cussing to please the pissed off die hard fanboys which oddly enough made them even more mad

im all for blood and cussing but when it just ruins it

Jedi Master 33 02-13-10 10:36 PM

X4.

Proof that more swearing and blood doesn't make a movie better. The absence of swearing in the rated version was the least of that movie's problems{I actually liked DH4 though}.

NiCK Crush 02-13-10 11:26 PM

Just picked up:

Hard Rain
The Running Man
Close Encounters of the Third Kind

~$37 out the door.

JoeySeven 02-14-10 01:49 AM

I think these two havn't been posted.

Midnight Movie/Killer Movie for $20

Hellboy Animated /1 case 1 disc,says it is a 2 pack though.
well you get two short storys. $15

also remember I would buy only what you really like.
Because im sure we'll see even lower prices sooner or latter.

Matthew Chmiel 02-14-10 03:11 AM

Other titles mentioned in this sale. I saw the place holder spots for some of these, but confirmations on Blu-ray.com have seen the physical titles.

$15.00 titles:
The Matrix
Ong Bak
Unforgiven
Pan's Labyrinth
Halloween (remake)
The Departed
Serenity
The Aviator
American Gangster
Amadeus
The Golden Compass
Marley & Me
Sunshine Cleaning
Casablanca

$10 titles:
Oceans 13
Fools Gold
Bucket List
A Time To Kill
Mongol
Heathers
Wild Bunch
The Searchers
Halloween (original)
Omega Man
Under Siege
Under Siege 2
Swordfish
Blazing Saddles
Valley of Elah
Bullitt
Speed Racer

Still no Saw III / IV / V triple pack (ugh). However, walked out with Close Encounters ($15) and The Devil Wears Prada ($10) for an additional Valentine's Day gift for the girlfriend.

At this point, should we just change the thread title to Bargain Blu-Rays @ Wal-Mart? ;)

Moopher 02-14-10 07:39 AM

Sounds good to me. It seems like it's a different spread of titles at every Walmart.

styl3s 02-14-10 11:56 AM

These have probably been listed but i picked up

$15
Bourne 1-3 (YMMV, they were 20$ at my other walmart a few days ago, maybe they are overstocked and are selling cheaper because they had about 50 copies of each)
Push
3:10 to yuma
The Kingdom
Transporter 3

$13
Taken
The Wrestler

im going to another walmart tonight ill take pictures of everything to try and make a list i just know the turkey creek walmart here had about 15-20 2-pack BRs.. they had an entire wall full of them it was ridiculous the amount of different ones they have and that was just in the in-stock one, there was about 4-5 spots that were empty and sadly i didnt see the saw 3 pack :(

TimJS 02-14-10 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Moopher
I went to a diff walmart and BDs were everywhere. They even had Galapagos for $10!

And, they also have Nature's Most Amazing Events BBC title for 15 bucks. Really good 2 disc set, btw.

Moopher 02-14-10 05:51 PM

I actually stopped back there last night and saw that, I wasn't sure if it was worth it...but of course now I will be returning to buy it.

The Monkees 02-14-10 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by styl3s (Post 9997510)

Blah! The uncut version is truer to a Die Hard film than the PG-13 version.

philip74 02-14-10 07:32 PM

re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours (Post 9785722)
ahh see you have never had the pleasure to shop in the crenshaw blvd/Baldwin Hills walmart where everything is ghetofabulous.

where if you go in to buy the recent 300 collectors edition all you will find is this. and when you ask about buying the movie, the rude cashier trys to tell you that, everything that is in that plastic case is the bluray. (even though its clearlyjust the back paper insert and the digital copy)

i am going to socal in 2 weeks. is that the only walmart in the area?
is that neighborhood even safe?? when i hear crenshaw blvd all i tend
to remember is boyz in the hood.

Indy Jones Fan 02-15-10 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by The Monkees (Post 9998987)
Blah! The uncut version is truer to a Die Hard film than the PG-13 version.

Really? Because I don't remember any CGI blood and dubbed cursing in the other Die Hard movies.

Kory 02-15-10 10:09 PM

Picked up Close Encounters for $15, BBC's Nature's Most Amazing Events for $15, and BBC's Galapagos for $10. The latter two are narrated by David Attenborough and Tilda Swinton, respectively, and are both 1080i, rather than p. Not sure if I'm going to keep them but I figured I can easily return them later if I want.

I also picked up "Ren & Stimpy" Seasons Three and a Half-ish, and Season Five and Some More of Four for $19.96 each (on DVD).

Father Karras 02-16-10 08:14 AM

I picked up Close Encounters of the Third Kind for $15 and First Blood for $8 over the weekend.

darkhawk 02-16-10 10:48 AM

Finally, the $8 Bds have arrived. Picked up:

The Arrival
Young Guns
Replicate
Way of the Gun

Matthew Chmiel 02-16-10 11:30 AM

Users at Blu-ray.com are reporting Cabin Fever can be had for $10. :thumbsup: