DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/560355-walmart-walmart-com-discounts-deals-blu-ray.html)

adam_omega 03-07-10 11:26 PM

re: Walmart / walmart.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by bayoozen (Post 10036648)
Snagged up Wolf and La Femme Nikita on bluuuu today for 10 bucks a piece minus associate discount. Both blind buys.

If you like Leon: The Professional, then you'll also really enjoy La Femme Nikita.

bayoozen 03-08-10 12:05 PM

Loved Leon!

Indy Jones Fan 03-08-10 05:55 PM

FWIW, and it may just be my particular Walmart, but they were pulling all of the 8, 10, and 15 dollar Blu-Rays off of the shelf today. I asked the associate if they were setting up a new display and she said no, they were sending them back and would no longer carry them. So if you are procrastinating on some of these titles you may want to pick them up sooner rather than later.

lordzeppelin 03-08-10 06:03 PM

The shelves at one WM were CLEAN...literally half of the DVDs and Blu were being pulled. The other one? Loaded up to the gills...

dkedvd 03-08-10 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Indy Jones Fan (Post 10038955)
FWIW, and it may just be my particular Walmart, but they were pulling all of the 8, 10, and 15 dollar Blu-Rays off of the shelf today. I asked the associate if they were setting up a new display and she said no, they were sending them back and would no longer carry them. So if you are procrastinating on some of these titles you may want to pick them up sooner rather than later.

What the hell? What is Walmart doing? Getting rid of the cheap Blus that will sell over the more expensive ones? I cannot figure out this stores strategy. This kind of thing really does scare me though. If they are getting rid of these maybe Blu is just not selling. I hope were not buying up the new Laserdiscs.

JimRochester 03-08-10 07:14 PM

I went to one of the older supercenters today and they had very, very, few Blu's. One rack of cheapos, one rack of new releases and no catalog titles. Maybe 50 titles max.

dsa_shea 03-08-10 07:50 PM

Wal-Mart sucks when it comes to selection of titles. You would think that someone that works in corporate would know what they're doing but they seem like they don't know shit.

BobSchlapowitz 03-08-10 07:58 PM

I just picked up the last $15 copy of Close Encounters from the Wal-Mart in Weymouth, Mass.

The Lizard King 03-08-10 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by BobSchlapowitz (Post 10039162)
I just picked up the last $15 copy of Close Encounters from the Wal-Mart in Weymouth, Mass.

Did it come with the Walmart exclusive soundtrack CD, or was it the regular release?

TLK :cool:

JimRochester 03-09-10 03:56 PM

They obviously see no value in catalog titles, or titles more than a few weeks old. All of them around here are going with a very small selection. I just haven't figured out what they are doing with the space though. I haven't seen a marked increase in SD or CD.

BuckNaked2k 03-09-10 04:59 PM

This is obviously very different than their previous model with DVD. WM was a treasure trove of cheap and deep catalog titles.

Maybe they just figured that Blu-ray is too premium a product for their customer base.

BobSchlapowitz 03-09-10 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Lizard King (Post 10039563)
Did it come with the Walmart exclusive soundtrack CD, or was it the regular release?

TLK :cool:

No soundtrack CD. It was just the regular release.

darkhawk 03-09-10 09:58 PM

I went by WM this morning and all the $10 BDs were gone, but they still had some $15 ones. I also saw new $15 BDs on the shelf. I saw Shrek the Third, Madagascar 1 & 2, The Bee Movie and The Spiderwyck Chronicles.

dkedvd 03-10-10 10:45 AM

Well with the bad comes some good. My local Walmart took all their cheap Blu-rays down last night as well. But today were starting to put up new $6.00 and $7.50 DVDs. Lots of great random titles. Not the kind of titles you see everyday. So yea... It's not BD but at least we can get some new great deals on SD titles. I guess when it comes to Walmart SD just sell a whole heck of a lot better than BD. For now that is...

BJ 03-10-10 11:01 AM

Ah, so that explains why half the tvs on the wall were taken down yesterday: square tube tv's are making a comeback at Walmart! ;)

zekeburger1979 03-10-10 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by BJ (Post 10042348)
Ah, so that explains why half the tvs on the wall were taken down yesterday: square tube tv's are making a comeback at Walmart! ;)

The square tube TV wall at my Wally world was taken down and replaced by a bulk food/clearance section. The flatscreen wall was untouched.

Moleman1138 03-10-10 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by darkhawk (Post 10041475)
I went by WM this morning and all the $10 BDs were gone, but they still had some $15 ones. I also saw new $15 BDs on the shelf. I saw Shrek the Third, Madagascar 1 & 2, The Bee Movie and The Spiderwyck Chronicles.

It's a new hot spot section of Easter/Oscar/New Moon (Vampire and Werewolves/Clash of the Titans/ $15 blu-rays.

kenbenobi 03-11-10 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Moleman1138 (Post 10043146)
It's a new hot spot section of Easter/Oscar/New Moon (Vampire and Werewolves/Clash of the Titans/ $15 blu-rays.

Clash of the Titans was only $15?!?!?! I'd pay that!

I just picked up Stargate Universe for $24.96 at my WM, but it was clearly a misprice. There is something in the new releases area that has a tag which says START****** (I don't remember the rest, but it definitely said START in caps). Some WM employee loaded the spot with Stargate Universe, but that wasn't the correct product. They honored the price for me though, and I didn't even have to fight for it.

Anono 03-13-10 05:03 PM

Saw The Mist today for 15$. They were moving things all over the place when I went as well.

CapRockBrewingCo. 03-13-10 05:23 PM

Found The Last Kiss BD in the $5 bin at the Wal-Mart in Sevierville, TN.

Moleman1138 03-13-10 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi (Post 10044860)
Clash of the Titans was only $15?!?!?! I'd pay that!

I just picked up Stargate Universe for $24.96 at my WM, but it was clearly a misprice. There is something in the new releases area that has a tag which says START****** (I don't remember the rest, but it definitely said START in caps). Some WM employee loaded the spot with Stargate Universe, but that wasn't the correct product. They honored the price for me though, and I didn't even have to fight for it.

No, no, no. There was a Clash of the Titans hotspot for $7.50 titles - Mummy (99), Mummy Returns, Scorpion King, Red Sonja, Conan, Snapper CoTT. The $15 BDs are kids movies like Bee Movie, Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda

Travis McClain 03-15-10 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by dkedvd (Post 10039025)
What the hell? What is Walmart doing? Getting rid of the cheap Blus that will sell over the more expensive ones? I cannot figure out this stores strategy. This kind of thing really does scare me though. If they are getting rid of these maybe Blu is just not selling. I hope were not buying up the new Laserdiscs.

It shouldn't really be surprising to us, given Walmart's preference for stocking Full Screen releases over Widescreen. It may seem that they're clueless, but in fact Walmart is very shrewd about monitoring the buying habits of their consumers.

I would advise some patience. Firstly, we all know the state of the economy. Secondly, this is the Easter-basket-buying time of the year. For those not in the know, this is second only to Christmas for sales of home video, because parents have taken to buying DVD's for their kids' baskets, and epic biblical classics like The Ten Commandments and Ben-Hur still catch some attention. The latter might be Blu-ray material, but unless it's Disney, most parents aren't interested in buying Hi-Def animated movies for their kids to outgrow in a year. This is why many stores have replaced catalog Blus with Easter titles.

I suspect after Easter, we'll get a better sense of Walmart's Blu-ray sales model. Our local store yanked out every aisle display and has yet to replace any of them last I saw, so wherever you go, you've got an enormously wide open walk area. I can't imagine the bean-counters approving of so much unused floor space, so I suspect some overhauling is coming. Hopefully, Blu-ray figures into whatever their post-Easter plans are.

BuckNaked2k 03-15-10 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw (Post 10050883)
Our local store yanked out every aisle display and has yet to replace any of them last I saw, so wherever you go, you've got an enormously wide open walk area....

Yea, I noticed the same thing in my store. I thought it was a new model to have a more open floor plan and less clutter. In the past, it was kind of a gauntlet to walk through the narrow aisles with their big bins in order to get to electronics.

Moleman1138 03-15-10 08:37 PM

What's out in the aisle where the $9 and $13 movies were aka the E-Center is now Hot Spot. But will eventually be eliminated to have no displays in the aisles, which is why bye-bye dump bin. The $7.50 section has already been taken out.

Blu-Ray at one point was 224 titles

64 on the E-Center
96 on the In-Line (which became 48 Inline and 48 Double Feature)
42 on the BD New Release
8 on the DVD New Release
14 on the Sony Blu-Ray endcap

Manzana 03-16-10 08:53 AM

From all the posts I've read, it's becoming clear that Walmart is deemphasizing their DVD and BD sales. They yanked out all of the aisle displays in my Walmart last year, so it sounds like other stores nationwide are just starting to catch up to mine. When I mentioned it (to one of the few knowledgeable long-time employees there) I was told the manager took them out because (1) he thought it looked better and (2) to eliminate potential lawsuits of people walking into the displays. As a professional cynic, I'll guess it's really reason (2) corporate-wide. To me big open wide aisles aren't pretty either.

So, Walmart has purposefully turned itself into the place that I go (or call) LAST when I'm looking for a movie rather than FIRST as it was in years past. I buy a lot less than I did before, but I mainly buy from Big Lots, Amazon, Target, and Best Buy (the latter 3 when there are specials). My last BD/DVD purchases from Walmart were on Black Friday and my next ones from Walmart will probably be... Black Friday.

Travis McClain 03-16-10 01:46 PM

What would work is if Walmart's website would 1) be be priced the same as in stores and/or 2) have an Amazon-like way of automatically price-matching advertised competitors. Then, I wouldn't necessarily need them to have what I want on the shelves; I could just buy online and have it shipped to store. Coupons would be out (unless they'd be willing to do an after-the-fact price adjustment, which I wouldn't count on happening), but otherwise, it would go a long way toward making them competitive and streamlined.

kenbenobi 03-25-10 02:23 PM

I saw a few new $10 titles today for the first time (I apologize if they were already reported):
In the Line of Fire
Le Femme Nikita

They were part of the Sony Blu-Ray player end-crap

Jon2 03-25-10 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw (Post 10050883)
...Our local store yanked out every aisle display and has yet to replace any of them last I saw, so wherever you go, you've got an enormously wide open walk area. I can't imagine the bean-counters approving of so much unused floor space, so I suspect some overhauling is coming...

The Walmart nearest to me (five miles as the crow flies) also did this sometime after Christmas. My first thought was the local fire marshall enforcing a code infraction. They removed every bin/display in every major aisle throughout the store, including the grocery area. The place is three to four years old and looks like a freaking ghost town with those wide open aisles. Until a few months ago they seldom had sale pricing on DVDs or BRs. They also don't have much selection for either.

However, all other Walmarts near me (north Phoenix area and there are five within 30 miles) are still set up with all sorts of bins and displays in the big aisles except the main aisle where the front registers are. One, which was remodeled less than two years ago, has an electronics area at least twice as big as that of any other Walmart I've been in. It's also walled off from the rest of the store by shelves and the only way in or out is by going past the register area. It is very wide and open however, and you could probably push three or four carts side by side past each side.

efordvt 03-26-10 10:21 AM

I'm glad I picked up the $10 stuff when I did, nothing left and its 2 wimpy side ends with $15 stuff now and not much else. laaaaame.

kenbenobi 03-31-10 01:09 PM

They started putting up giant bright orange displays in the aisle with lots of bargain BD's, SD's, and TV seasons. For BD's, they have several April 6 releases out early, and at great prices:
The Relic - $10
Thomas Crown Affair (Brosnan) - $15
Flight of the Intruder - $10
Jade - $10
Cocoon - $15

TV season 2-packs for $19.96:
Chips
Gilligan's Island
Dukes of Hazzard
Everybody Loves Raymond

There were LOTS of horror movie SD's on the display as well. The display is double-sided, at has 6 sections on each side, IIRC.

Kory 03-31-10 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi (Post 10080932)
They started putting up giant bright orange displays in the aisle with lots of bargain BD's, SD's, and TV seasons. For BD's, I believe these are new:
The Relic - $10
Thomas Crown Affair (Brosnan) - $15
Flight of the Navigators - $10
Jade - $10
Cocoon - $10 I think

TV season 2-packs for $19.96:
Chips
Gilligan's Island
there was more, but I forgot and can't make out the pics on my phone

Really, "Cocoon"? That's not even supposed to be out until April 6th. Crazy if they have it before street date, especially for $10.

Father Karras 03-31-10 02:08 PM

The Relic (BD) is also not scheduled for release until April 6th. I'll have to check my local Wal-Mart to if this new display is out yet. I might pick this up for $10.

BSTNFAN 03-31-10 02:52 PM

When did Flight of the Navigator come out on BD?

Nugent 03-31-10 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kory (Post 10080992)
Really, "Cocoon"? That's not even supposed to be out until April 6th. Crazy if they have it before street date, especially for $10.

Ditto on Thomas Crown Affair. Also April 6th.

I wouldn't expect this to be up at most Wally Worlds just yet.

kenbenobi 03-31-10 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nugent (Post 10081214)
Ditto on Thomas Crown Affair. Also April 6th.

I wouldn't expect this to be up at most Wally Worlds just yet.

Yes, as we all know, WM's never put their displays out on the same date nationwide. I saw the display at 3 of the 4 WM's I went to yesterday, so I'm sure some people will find it...

gumby33 03-31-10 03:34 PM

I am psyched for The Relic.

kenbenobi 03-31-10 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Kory (Post 10080992)

I'm not entirely positive that one was $10. I think so. I do have 2 pics on my phone, but I don't have a way to transfer it at work. I'll add pics when I get home...

kenbenobi 03-31-10 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by gumby33 (Post 10081258)
I am psyched for The Relic.

That's the one I bought! And today I bought La Femme Nikita (not on that display, but also $10). I can't resist some of these $10 titles, but I can easily pass on the $15 ones...

kenbenobi 03-31-10 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN (Post 10081178)
When did Flight of the Navigator come out on BD?

My apologies, it was Flight of the Intruder... I have corrected my post.

Abob Teff 03-31-10 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi (Post 10081285)
My apologies, it was Flight of the Intruder... I have corrected my post.

April the 6th seems to be the trend ... I'll bet on that.