Last edit by: Adam Tyner
Print Wikipost

Costco discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-16, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Costco discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
One side of the media shelf was all dedicated to DVD sets of older British mysteries and period romances. Those are primarily purchased by women past middle age.
Just so you know, I have never purchased such in my life--the violent mindless destructo movies are soooo much better 🙄
Old 09-14-16, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I'm not knocking British mysteries, I tend to like them myself.
Old 09-14-16, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regretfully have to agree with many of the recent posts about Costco. It wasn't that long ago they used to be my go to place for new releases, especially 3D stuff. But the past 3 to 4 years... nada. Although, this past Christmas they did have a good deal on the Jurassic World collectable set with the dinos. If I hadn't already picked up the movie, I would have gotten it. I was sorely tempted though. My wife noticed and offered to get it for a Christmas gift, but I passed.

I started going to Walmart for new release deals, but the past couple of years they've become a dry well also.

Imagine my surprise yesterday when I stopped by the nearest Costco and found a large, separate display for Captain America: Civil War in 3D for $22.99. I would have picked it up at Costco except that BB had it at the same price and I had a Disney $5 off coupon.

Half-expected BB not to take the coupon, although I've never had an issue with them refusing one. The coupon was for "any Disney movie" and while the BR packaging mentions Disney Movies Anywhere twice, it only shows a Marvel logo. The register guy did look over the coupon for several moments and I think he finally had to manually input it as it wouldn't scan properly. Probably due to the quality of the printing as it was printed a couple of months ago on my old printer.
Old 09-15-16, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

I don't think manufacturer coupons ever scan properly at BB.
Old 09-15-16, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All my coupons at BB have had to be entered manually.

To get back on the Costco track...a new batch of $19.99 Criterion BDs showed up at my store:

Dr. Strangelove
New World
In-Laws
Gilda
Old 09-16-16, 03:50 AM

I skipped the last BN Criterion sale but I was thinking about The New World (I will be picking up titles during the November sale). I think that's a $50 list price title? So does that make the $19.99 Costco price as good as, if not better than, BN with coupons?
Old 09-16-16, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by goblin23
I skipped the last BN Criterion sale but I was thinking about The New World (I will be picking up titles during the November sale). I think that's a $50 list price title? So does that make the $19.99 Costco price as good as, if not better than, BN with coupons?
Certainly a better price at Costco than just the straight 50% off since it is a $49.99 title. Coupons are hit and miss at BN, so I'll probably snag this if I see it there.
Old 09-16-16, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Certainly a better price at Costco than just the straight 50% off since it is a $49.99 title. Coupons are hit and miss at BN, so I'll probably snag this if I see it there.
if you have a store membership, you can really make out during the BN criterion sales. The $8 off $40 coupon is almost a mainstay at any point. I picked mine up for $14.xx + tax during the July sale. But this is the lowest non sale price you can pick that title up. Costco's criterion pricing is always $19.99 regardless of what titles they carry. The same value was true of Seven Samurai they carried sometime ago
Old 09-16-16, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
if you have a store membership, you can really make out during the BN criterion sales. The $8 off $40 coupon is almost a mainstay at any point. I picked mine up for $14.xx + tax during the July sale. But this is the lowest non sale price you can pick that title up. Costco's criterion pricing is always $19.99 regardless of what titles they carry. The same value was true of Seven Samurai they carried sometime ago
I've posted this before, but I guess have to again. Despite the posts that state otherwise, not all locations will accept coupons on the Criterion titles during the sale. And this hasn't been a one time, one employee experience. Others that have their local stores always accepting coupons, especially allowing them to stack, should consider themselves lucky.

My local store acts like I am personally denying them their paychecks when trying to use a coupon. And it's not just Criterion titles either. Had the same happen with books and other items they carry in the store.
Old 09-16-16, 10:54 AM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

True that, hdnmickey. Was stating that to show that there is an opportunity to get one at a lower price. But that it is a hit/miss
Old 09-16-16, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
True that, hdnmickey. Was stating that to show that there is an opportunity to get one at a lower price. But that it is a hit/miss
Cool. Just sharing why for many it still makes sense to buy at Costco's $19.99 price point. I have scored some good deals during the BN sales. But only when the online deals have had 20% or better options for non-members. And then there still is shipping (unless you order multiple discs) and tax, so I really don't save that much compared to the Costco prices.

I appreciate that Costco carries these titles since most stores around me don't even carry Criterion. Although I'm still wondering which of the Criterion classics appeal to the old women that Costco supposedly cater to above all others.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 09-16-16 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-16-16, 07:05 PM

Cool. Just sharing why for many it still makes sense to buy at Costco's $19.99 price point. I have scored some good deals during the BN sales. But only when the online deals have had 20% or better options for non-members. And then there still is shipping (unless you order multiple discs) and tax, so I really don't save that much compared to the Costco prices.

I appreciate that Costco carries these titles since most stores around me don't even carry Criterion. Although I'm still wondering which of the Criterion classic appeal to the old women that Costco supposedly cater to above all others.
grey gardens, for the fashion tips.
Old 09-16-16, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
grey gardens, for the fashion tips.
I didn't think of that angle. Still doubt many women are snatching up Criterion blu-rays. Or the action movies and war docs that make up most of the rest of the adult titles they carry at Costco.
Old 09-20-16, 01:38 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys. If The New World is there next time I get to Costco, it will be mine.

Otherwise, it's starting to look like the next BN sale will be expensive for me.
Old 09-20-16, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by goblin23
Thanks for the replies, guys. If The New World is there next time I get to Costco, it will be mine.
I made to my local Costco shortly after that last post. Sadly the usual Criterion assortment was no where to be found. Hopefully next time.
Old 09-20-16, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I made to my local Costco shortly after that last post. Sadly the usual Criterion assortment was no where to be found. Hopefully next time.
Older women had already come by and scooped up the Criterions.
Old 09-21-16, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Older women had already come by and scooped up the Criterions.
There you go 😎
Old 09-25-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, went this weekend to look for In-Laws at my Costco. There were no Criterions in sight and I've previously bought Criterions there. I guess the old women are in full force
Old 09-25-16, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The location I visited this week had a sparse selection of Criterions, from The New World to the In-Laws. It didn't look like they had much inventory for each movie.
Old 09-27-16, 07:30 AM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Disney Princess blu rays regularly $22.99 or $23.99 are $16.49 after instant off. Includes Snow White, Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Cinderella, etc. It does not included the recently released Beauty and the Beast.
Ones that are usually $15.99 are $12.50 after instant off. Tax on prediscount price except in CT.
Old 09-27-16, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Classic Films
Disney Princess blu rays regularly $22.99 or $23.99 are $16.49 after instant off. Includes Snow White, Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Cinderella, etc. It does not included the recently released Beauty and the Beast.
This is the last you'll see of many of those. They go back in the vault soon. So grab them before all the grandmas snatch them up.
Old 09-27-16, 09:59 AM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Reminds me of the Journey to The Disney Vault.

https://vimeo.com/153371148
Old 09-27-16, 11:17 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic Films
Reminds me of the Journey to The Disney Vault.

https://vimeo.com/153371148
That was , never seen it before, thanks!
Old 09-27-16, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
That was , never seen it before, thanks!
Me either. Thanks for the post.
Old 09-28-16, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

TV Funhouse was a hilarious show with Triumph the Insult Comic Dog. It is available on DVD for those interested.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.