Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Tyner
Print Wikipost

Costco discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-11, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Costco discounts and deals on Blu-ray

Originally Posted by DirkBelig
If your Costco has a gas station, you can save the price of membership in gas alone. The ones I fill up at run 5-20 cents/gal cheaper than regular stations. Figuring a conservative 7 cents per gallon times 15 gallons per week for a year, that's $54.60 on gas alone. I have the $100 per year Executive Membership which gives you a 2% kickback on everything you buy but gas (drat!) and with my g/f using my card too for groceries every 3-4 weeks, I got another $30 coming this year and got over $50 the year I bought a $1100 HDTV. Also, if you get the co-branded Costco/AmEx True Earnings card, you get a kickback check good for Costco on all your outside charges, so I've got over $100 there.
I've got all that. The Executive membership and the CostCo /Amex card. The latter comes with 3% cash back on gas and restaurants and 1% for almost anything else. But the gas difference here is usually only about $.02/gal. It's not worth it to me to drive the extra distance it would be (unless I'm going there, anyway).

But CostCo is a great deal for anyone.

Last edited by movielib; 08-05-11 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-05-11, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all of the helpful information about CostCo, I really do appreciate it. Hopefully I will be able to go to the one on Richmond near my work today. The wifey and me have to take my brother in law to an interview after I get off of work (I only work half days on Friday) but I'm hoping after that we will have enough time to mosey on over there. Great stuff, I probably will get a membership but just in case I want a lay of the land first. Appreciate it.
Old 08-05-11, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SRGilbert
Also, be aware that even the membership fee has a money back guarantee. So technically, you could be a member for 51 weeks and still get your $50 back. Hard to imagine you would after giving it a try though! Make sure you stop by the food court and get an all beef hot dog and a soda for only $1.50! Best lunch deal around.
You forgot to add the pizza slice to that lunch.
Old 08-05-11, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by flagstone
(Homer voice) Mmmmm, Costco pizza (Homer voice)
Old 08-05-11, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by flagstone
Which taste just like pizza served at my college cafeteria. Ah memories...
Old 08-05-11, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't believe the deal on the Pixar sets. I grabbed Wall-E, Up, and Monsters, Inc. Then I got the Gladiator/Braveheart set. So about $50 for these 5 movies? Crazy.
Old 08-05-11, 03:28 PM

Fistful Of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More, Magnificent Seven (formerly Target exclusives) along with Good, Bad & the Ugly $9.99 each.
Old 08-06-11, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
I can't believe the deal on the Pixar sets. I grabbed Wall-E, Up, and Monsters, Inc. Then I got the Gladiator/Braveheart set. So about $50 for these 5 movies? Crazy.
The store I went to had atleast 5-6 copies of each. I already own all the movies, but the wife went ahead and picked up Toy Story 2 for the bonus stuff. My daughter loves these movies and is really into the Jessie character. I will probably just try to sell the movie since I have no need for it.

I also saw about half a dozen of the Planet of the Apes sets.

Also saw the 2 packs of Gadiator/Braveheart, Godfather 1 and 2, and a couple of other sets. I know one set contained Shutter Island/Primal Fear and the other set contained The Italian Job/Shooter.
Old 08-06-11, 12:10 PM

I picked up the Planet of the Apes set yesterday. They only had 3 sets left and they were thrown by the dvd tv sets. I never gave them a second look in the past since I assumed they were dvds and not Blu-ray. Thanks Doug for the heads up.

They had all of the Disney sets except Monsters, Inc. which I paid $19.99 for a few weeks back. But they were by the kids books this time. All of them had green $19.99 and $9.99 stickers on them. And most looked like the wrapping was half off and that they were beat up. I noticed all the $17.99 2 packs at the end cap. They also had 2 packs for Trading Places/ Coming to America and Tommy Boy/Black Sheep for $13.99 each.
Old 08-07-11, 06:29 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Went on a crazy search for Wall-E (the only Pixar Blu-ray I don't have) at four different Costco stores today... Norwalk, Lakewood, Signal Hill but not one store had a copy of Wall-E, they only had copies of Toy Story 1 or 2. I had to run some errands down in Long Beach so I was able to hit those stores along the way. The front desk at Signal Hill showed me on their computer what stores had the most copies and since it's a generic sku I figured the store with the most copies would have a better chance of having Wall-E. BTW, you're in luck if you live in Hawaii because the Honolulu store has 54 sets left.

The computer showed that the La Habra store (closest Costco to my house actually) had 32 copies. So I ate lunch in Long Beach and took my time getting back to the La Habra store figuring they must have a handful of Wall-E Blu Rays. It turns out they only had one copy of Wall-E! They had one or two copies of Monsters Inc. and the rest were TS1 and TS2. I think the reason they had so many copies left was because they didn't have a visible $9.99 price like all the other stores had displayed. I counted the remaining sets they had left it was 31. In the two hours it took me to eat lunch and get back to La Habra they hadn't sold a single copy. I guess I lucked out today.
Old 08-30-11, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

At the Costco nearest me they rearranged the DVD section and the Disney box sets seem to have been removed.

Anyway if anyone sees Twilight Zone Season 5 for $45 please post here. Costco had the 1st 4 seasons at that price so I am hopeful that Season 5 will also be the same price.
Old 08-30-11, 09:23 PM

No TZ Season 5 at the Hawthorne Costco today-- in fact, the smallest Blu section there in some time. I ordered it for $48 off Amazon.
Old 09-17-11, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone seen if they've got Star Wars and for how much?

UPDATE: I called my local one and they do and they're $89.99. Yuck, but I've got a $100 GC so it'll be free for me, I suppose.
Old 09-17-11, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

89.99 at Costco in California.
Old 09-17-11, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE: I called my local one and they do and they're $89.99. Yuck, but I've got a $100 GC so it'll be free for me, I suppose.
Yuck is right, but I've always thought their everyday prices on DVD/BR are pretty lackluster.
Old 09-17-11, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

New release prices at Costco blow goats, BUT when stuff gets older, they tend to be crazy cheap and thus good deals. I got the 5-disc Blade Runner BD for $13 even though I already had it on HD DVD and the transfers are the same.

After a moment's thought I decided to hold off in hopes they'll have it cheaper around the holidays. Even if it's only down to $70, it's still $20 more free than it would be today. I can wait a few months longer.
Old 09-17-11, 04:04 PM

I just returned from my Costco and it was $79.99 after a $10.00 instant rebate. ($89.99 regular price)
Old 09-17-11, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by UBFGUY
I just returned from my Costco and it was $79.99 after a $10.00 instant rebate. ($89.99 regular price)
FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

The woman on the phone didn't mention that. Grrrr. What to do...
Old 09-23-11, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SRGilbert
A Hard to imagine you would after giving it a try though! Make sure you stop by the food court and get an all beef hot dog and a soda for only $1.50! Best lunch deal around.
I agree except that in the New York City area they have started posting the calorie count on their food items. OMG even the non fat yogart has 400 calories.
I won't mention how many calories the hot dogs and pizza have.
Old 09-23-11, 03:33 PM

Thanks to Ron, I was able to get a Monsters Inc. set. If anyone has extras of any of the others, please, please let me know. Not a member but would love these sets Thanks much
Old 09-23-11, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Classic Films
I agree except that in the New York City area they have started posting the calorie count on their food items. OMG even the non fat yogart has 400 calories.
That's a "don't ask, don't tell" policy I can support!
Old 09-23-11, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Classic Films
Please do, because I often grab one to chill after work and shopping and I'm too tired to start cooking when I get home. Thanks.
Old 09-24-11, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by rogerthornton
Thanks to Ron, I was able to get a Monsters Inc. set. If anyone has extras of any of the others, please, please let me know. Not a member but would love these sets Thanks much
I can try to get some for you. Just shoot me a PM.
Old 10-12-11, 07:38 PM

Costco (in Burbank) had Raising Arizona and Blood Simple blu rays for $9.99 each.
Old 10-13-11, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Vermiknid
Costco (in Burbank) had Raising Arizona and Blood Simple blu rays for $9.99 each.
Those are $7.99 here in Vegas (along with Fargo and Millers Crossing).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.