DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Archives (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/archives-52/)
-   -   P.T. Anderson vs Frank Darabont (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/archives/577407-p-t-anderson-vs-frank-darabont.html)

Blu Man 08-02-10 06:35 PM

P.T. Anderson vs Frank Darabont

Both are talented and it almost seems like a rarity when they direct a film.

My vote goes to P.T. Anderson. There Will Be Blood is one of my all time favorite films and unlike M. Night, he can have extremely long takes without it getting boring or annoying.

GenPion 08-02-10 06:39 PM

Re: P.T. Anderson vs Frank Darabont

Where's the poll?

My vote goes to Frank Darabont but this was definitely a close one to call. Ultimately I have to go with him for The Shawshank Redemption and The Mist which are personal favorites of mine. Both film-makers are among my all time favorites so it did make it hard to choose between the two, and I normally wouldn't think to compare them. If I could pick someone to best both of them though it would definitely be M. Night Shyamalan.

P.S. I'm not joking.

Supermallet 08-02-10 06:41 PM

PT Anderson has one good movie (Hard Eight), one very good movie (Punch Drunk Love), one great movie (There Will Be Blood), one vastly overrated movie (Boogie Nights), and one awful movie (Magnolia).

Frank Darabont has one great movie (Shawshank), two very good movies (The Mist, The Green Mile), one ok movie (The Majestic). Since he's got no bad movies, and is doing Walking Dead for AMC, Darabont wins.

gmanca 08-02-10 06:47 PM

For now, Darabont wins but PT Anderson's new flick, The Master, might change my mind.

Solid Snake 08-02-10 06:47 PM

PTA for me. There Will Be Blood and Boogie Nights are my favorites of his work.

While I like Shawshank....some bits of it drag it a WEE bit down. Not enough for it to not make it great but some parts of it could have had Red shooting a gun and therefore curving the bullet in it's trajectory.

Love the Mist for what it is. but....PTA's work I enjoy more and think is also better.

rexinnih 08-02-10 06:53 PM

Darabont on this one. Shawshank was the clincher.

Drexl 08-02-10 07:29 PM

PT Anderson for me. I love Shawshank, but that and The Green Mile aren't really enough to overtake Anderson's body of work. I'm not sure if it should matter, but Anderson's potential for the future seems much better to me as well.

BTW, I think the matchup for Anderson should have been with the Coen Bros., echoing the There Will Be Blood vs. No Country for Old Men Oscars shootout.

Coral 08-02-10 07:46 PM

I really like Shawshank, but PTA by a large margin.

mdc3000 08-02-10 08:03 PM

I like a lot of Darabont's stuff but this is a no contest for me. Boogie Nights, Magnolia and There Will Be Blood are three of my favourite movies of all time. PTA by a landslide.

jmu878 08-02-10 08:06 PM

PTA for There Will Be Blood & Boogie Nights...altought I do love The Mist and Shawshank.

Shyamalan??? Really??? You sure you're not joking???

MrSmearkase 08-02-10 08:16 PM

This is a really hard one, but I'm leaning towards Anderson, just because Punch-Drink Love and Magnolia are two of my favorites.

Although, I've yet to run into a Darabont flick that I didn't love either....

Still Anderson though.

costanza 08-02-10 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10300669)
PT Anderson has one good movie (Hard Eight), one very good movie (Punch Drunk Love), one great movie (There Will Be Blood), one vastly overrated movie (Boogie Nights), and one awful movie (Magnolia).

Frank Darabont has one great movie (Shawshank), two very good movies (The Mist, The Green Mile), one ok movie (The Majestic). Since he's got no bad movies, and is doing Walking Dead for AMC, Darabont wins.

We finally disagree on one!

Supermallet 08-02-10 09:32 PM

I think I'd rather listen to every Celine Dion album while watching every Tyler Perry movie than see Magnolia again. :lol:

Joe Buck 08-02-10 09:39 PM

Going with PT because Punch Drunk Love and There Will Be Blood rose so quickly into my list of all time faves. There Will Be Blood might even be top 5. I liked it that much. Frank makes good films too, though. Love the Shank and The Mist.

FRwL 08-02-10 09:43 PM

TWBB was kind of too bleak for me(unlike Kubrick's movies) even though he gave one heck of a performance.

Darabont because Speed owned my not-speeding shit. Although it was not as good as when he took on the President bandits.

inri222 08-02-10 10:18 PM

P.T. Anderson

PopcornBandit 08-02-10 10:34 PM

P.T. Anderson

Boogie Nights is my favorite movie and is a near perfect film.

Fist of Doom 08-02-10 11:04 PM

PTA in a cakewalk for me. I prefer Magnolia, Hard Eight and There Will Be Blood over any film Darabont has done.

JumpCutz 08-02-10 11:07 PM

I went with P.T Anderson. I love everything he's done except Punch Drunk Love (sorry but I absolutely loathe anything Sandler).

Shawshank and The Mist are excellent. Even though the supporting cast is brilliant, Tom Hanks ruins The Green Mile for me. The Majestic was just a drippy cloying sentimental melodrama.