DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Archives (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/archives-52/)
-   -   Tim Burton or Terry Gilliam (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/archives/577396-tim-burton-terry-gilliam.html)

redtornado 08-02-10 04:14 PM

Tim Burton or Terry Gilliam

They're both master visual stylists who have made some great films and some huge duds. Who do you prefer?

Hokeyboy 08-02-10 04:22 PM

Re: Tim Burton or Terry Gilliam

Wake me up when Burton makes a movie anywhere near is brilliant and sublime as Brazil. Gilliam has had his misfires and a genuine stinker, but he's in a league of his own, which is well above Burton.

Larry C. 08-02-10 04:23 PM

My vote is for TDK.

inri222 08-02-10 04:24 PM

The Monty Python dude

Supermallet 08-02-10 04:28 PM

This isn't a contest. Time Bandits, Brazil, 12 Monkeys, Monty Python, Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas. Burton coasts on his visual aesthetic to the point where his worst movies are on the level of self-parody. Gilliam, even when he fails, always tries and puts himself into the film 100%.

Solid Snake 08-02-10 05:15 PM

Gilliam bitches

asianxcore 08-02-10 05:18 PM

Gilliam

LickTheABCs 08-02-10 05:19 PM

I'm guessing some time within the past week, Terry Gilliam took a shit. Well, he used Burton's career as toilet paper.

kd5 08-02-10 05:42 PM

It takes way too much to make me laugh these days and all of those so-called comedies they're churning out today aren't worth shit in my book. But back in the day I laughed my ass off at the Monty Python skits on TV, I own 3 of their albums, one of which has 3 sides! Add the one-time brilliance with Monty Python to his later works including Brazil and Time Bandits, and it's one more vote for Terry Gilliam.

Tim Burton's OK, but Terry Gilliam wins by a landslide in my book. -kd5-

Hokeyboy 08-02-10 06:09 PM

Gilliam's output from Time Bandits through Fear & Loathing is pretty much untouchable in my book. Burton has never made a singularly GREAT film. I like many of his movies, but even with the best of them there's always SOMETHING lousy in it: the plot holes, the pacing, weak performances, lack of story, bad editing, total lack of character development, etc.

Creative? Sure. Visionary? Without question. Storyteller? Not quite so good...

GenPion 08-02-10 06:35 PM

I'm a bigger fan of Tim Burton. Having said that -- it was hard to choose. 12 Monkeys and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas are two of my all time favorite films.

TGM 08-02-10 06:42 PM

Hate, hate, hate, hate everything Tim Burton has ever touched.

Gilliam, ftw

Supermallet 08-02-10 06:46 PM

Oh, and I just remembered Tim Burton's version of Planet of the Apes. Even if all Gilliam had ever done was The Brothers Grimm and Tideland PotA would still be enough to make me vote against Burton. :lol:

rexinnih 08-02-10 06:54 PM

This was a tough one for me. Looking at all the hate for Burton in the thread prompted me to cast my vote in his direction. He needed some love.

zombeaner 08-02-10 07:41 PM

10 years ago I would've said Burton in a heartbeat, but his repetitiveness getting unbearable at this point.

JumpCutz 08-02-10 07:53 PM

Can't stand Burton's work, Ed Wood being the only exception.

Brazil is in my top 5.

Fear and Loathing, 12 Monkeys and Time Bandits, Monty Python and the Holy Grail (co-directed with Jones) are all top shelf films.

Gilliam all day every day.:thumbsup:

Travis McClain 08-02-10 08:29 PM

There's something I like about the familiarity of Burton's aesthetics. I always feel like I'm seeing the world through the eyes of a morose adolescent. I mean that in a positive way, but I also recognize how others would use the same description to deride his works.

Supermallet 08-02-10 08:32 PM

And here's where I'm going to get slammed, because Batman Returns is my favorite Burton film, and I think Sweeney Todd is the best film he's made to date. *Ducks*

Travis McClain 08-02-10 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10300952)
And here's where I'm going to get slammed, because Batman Returns is my favorite Burton film, and I think Sweeney Todd is the best film he's made to date. *Ducks*

I'd like Batman Returns if not for Danny DeVito's Penguin. I don't mind the character design (though I hate the scenes where he's lounging around in what appears to be thermal underwear; I just want the guy to actually get dressed!). It's his delivery of his lines that's so slow it kills any bite the words might have had, which is a shame because on paper I think he had some great dialog. But...it takes him...so...freaking...long...to say them...that I...just...don't...care.

Sweeney Todd is the only Burton helmed film I've not seen, so I can't comment on that one. I did, however, just buy an old paperback copy of Pierre Boulle's Planet of the Apes and I'm interested to read it and see what I think of Burton's version of the film in relation to the source material, rather than the earlier film adaptation (which I've also still not seen).

Fist of Doom 08-02-10 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10300952)

The only thing you'll need to duck from me is a high five...or a fist bump or whatever the kids are doing these days.

Still, Gilliam gets my vote. One of my favorite directors.