DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Archives (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/archives-52/)
-   -   J.J. Abrams or Michael Bay (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/archives/577387-j-j-abrams-michael-bay.html)

Blu Man 08-02-10 02:35 PM

J.J. Abrams or Michael Bay

Both make quick cut action films with heavy special effects.

I'm going with Abrams because Star Trek is better then any film Bay has made in my opinion. Plus he was one of the men behind Lost, and Super 8 is looking pretty good.

Ash Ketchum 08-02-10 03:19 PM

Re: J.J. Abrams or Michael Bay

They're both very talented hacks. Neither one is anything to brag about, but Bay's TRANSFORMERS was the most enjoyable live-action film about giant robots I've ever seen, plus it introduced Megan Fox to my consciousness, so I'll always be eternally grateful to Bay for that. Abrams' STAR TREK was like an episode of Tiny Toons or Muppet Babies and I don't believe I've seen anything else by him.

notkevinbacon 08-02-10 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 10300185)
...but Bay's TRANSFORMERS was the most enjoyable live-action film about giant robots I've ever seen...

No love anywhere for Stuart Gordon's Robot Jox?!

I haven't seen it in forever, I just remember really being excited to see it when I was a kid then being disappointed when I rented it. It's a film I really want to check out again, my 8 year old self may not have been in tune with the flick's sensibilities.

Oh and Abrams, easily.

JakeNeff 08-02-10 03:32 PM

I've loved to death every single project I've seen that Abrams has put his signature on -- Alias, Lost, Cloverfield, Star Trek. Haven't checked out Fringe yet, but I have the 1st season on Blu-ray. Can't wait for Super 8.

asianxcore 08-02-10 03:32 PM

Abrams

I love Alias.

kd5 08-02-10 03:32 PM

I can't choose between these two, they're both equally entertaining. -kd5-

JakeNeff 08-02-10 03:42 PM

I really liked Robot Jox when I saw it as a teen. It seemed pretty impressive and unique at the time. I have a feeling it could be rather underwhelming now, though.

Sonic 08-02-10 03:45 PM

They are both very creative I love Bay for making Bad Boys which rocked and other flicks.

But Abrams world is a little bit more vast, creative and expansive because of the Star Trek series, I chose Abrams.

Supermallet 08-02-10 04:11 PM

While I did vote for Abrams, it's a little hard to compare as Abrams has only made two films. But Star Trek is better than anything Bay has done, so Abrams.

jdslater1 08-02-10 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by JakeNeff (Post 10300237)
I really liked Robot Jox when I saw it as a teen. It seemed pretty impressive and unique at the time. I have a feeling it could be rather underwhelming now, though.

I liked Crash And Burn aswell. Especially the bit when the (for some reason) cockney tech says "crash and burn gov'ner!".
Wasn't this set in a post nuclear world war USA?

inri222 08-02-10 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy (Post 10300226)
Where's the "neither" button?!??

;)

This

Travis McClain 08-02-10 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 10300185)
Abrams' STAR TREK was like an episode of Tiny Toons or Muppet Babies and I don't believe I've seen anything else by him.

Black Joe Lewis likened Abrams's Star Trek to Melrose Place, but this is the first I've heard anyone link it to Tiny Toons or Muppet Babies. And just what are you implying about Muppet Babies, anyway? That show kicked nine kinds of ass and I'll have words with anyone who says otherwise!

The easiest way of deciding this is to look at their work with the same screenwriters, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. They wrote both of the films Abrams has directed (Mission: Impossible III and Star Trek), and both Transformers movies (directed by Bay).

Say what you will, but when I walked out of the Transformers movies, I knew I'd seen a Michael Bay movie each time. They felt like his work. I still don't know what a J.J. Abrams movie is supposed to feel like.

Supermallet 08-02-10 04:46 PM

Tiny Toons also kicked nine kinds of ass. I don't see how that's an insult.

McHawkson 08-02-10 05:18 PM

IMO, they're both overrated. I hate all Michael Bay movies. Abrams movies/TVs aren’t all great.

If I'm to pick which is better - I'll pick Abrams. :shrug:

rexinnih 08-02-10 07:02 PM

I will admit M Bay is my guilty pleasure. Except for those #@$!! Transformer movies.

FRwL 08-02-10 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 10300328)
This

:lol: ditto.

mdc3000 08-02-10 08:07 PM

I like Michael Bay movies even though that isn't fashionable, but Abrams has breathed life into two floundering franchises and his TV work is staggering. Abrams by a mile. (Funny because I just watched most of ARMAGEDDON today at work - a movie written by JJ Abrams, directed by Michael Bay).

MrSmearkase 08-02-10 08:09 PM

Michael Bay

Travis McClain 08-02-10 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by mdc3000 (Post 10300873)
Abrams has breathed life into two floundering franchises and his TV work is staggering.

Sorry, but by what measuring stick was the Mission: Impossible franchise floundering when he directed M:I-III? The first two were hits. And it's no fair giving him credit for the yet-to-be-released film since we don't know how it will perform. I realize Tom Cruise's couch-jumping ways were to blame for the lack of interest in M:I-III, but having paid to see it in its theatrical release I can honestly say I don't think word of mouth would have been particularly favorable anyway.

And Norman Lear's TV work is "staggering." No knock on Abrams here, but rather your choice of words.

RocShemp 08-02-10 08:48 PM

ALthough I've enjoyed both his films, Abrams only has two movies under his belt. He's too new to make it a fair comparison.

JumpCutz 08-02-10 09:32 PM

Abrams based solely on the LOST pilot.

superdeluxe 08-02-10 09:42 PM

Star Trek> .

So Abrams wins. Oh and Lost/Fringe ftw.