Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD title from China does not play (Help???)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

DVD title from China does not play (Help???)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-01, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a DVD that won't play and I would really like to know more about solving this problem. Also, I have not found any site that gives good troubleshooting advice (particularly problems with specific titles), so please give me a referral if you know someone who might be able to help me.

(I am using the DVD drive on my laptop and WinDVD player)

DETAILS:

- The disk is readable and and formatted in UDF, so I believe that it is not defective.

- If I try to play the disk using WinDVD, the drive keeps reading the disk but my computer freezes.

- The movie is from Mainland China, but I have the software to correct regional code problems and do not recieve an error message confirming this problem.

ABOUT THE MOVIE:

"Spicy Love Soup"
by Zhang Yang

This is an excellent movie directed my Zhang Yang, known more recently for his movie "Shower". This movie from Beijing contains 5 stories that show portray love's beauty and pain. I had a difficult time finding a copy of this film, so I am frustrated that I can't view it.

Old 04-11-01, 03:32 AM

Well, first off I'd advise you to install another DVDplayer on your laptop. Try running PowerDVD, see if that solves your prob. If the same problem occurs, take the disc to a friend and pop it into his player (if it's rpc-free) see if that works.

I'm expecting a couple of DVD's from Shanghai within the next couple of days and they will be the first Chinese DVD's I try, so I'll post my findings back to you, if you want.

Len
Old 04-12-01, 01:36 PM

Are DVD's that don't play common or uncommon?

Thanks Len, I appreciate the suggestion.

No it did not work. PowerDVD experienced the same kind of freeze/crash as with WinDVD.

Since I don't have many DVD titles, I haven't had much experience with ones that don't work. There was a lot of hype about 'The Matrix' not playing on all systems, but is this problem common? And are there some common solutions?

BTW Len, what movies from Shanghai are you getting? Are they Hong Kong cinema? I'm personally fond of the movies that come out of Taiwan.
Old 04-13-01, 03:25 PM

spicy love soup?

Hi,

Where did you find a copy of Spicy Love Soup? I checked out asiandvdguide.com and the only version of that film that they had in their database was a Japanese region 2 DVD version. Does the version you have include english subtitles?

If possible, try your DVD on another player, if you have any friends or acquaintances with a DVD player. I have a couple hundred HK DVDs, and some from Taiwan, China, and Korea too, and some of them are a bit tempermental. Some work on my DVD player, but not my girlfriend's player, and vice versa.

What company put out the Spicy Love Soup DVD, and what country pressed the disc? Is it all region? That might help figure out what is wrong.
Old 04-14-01, 07:53 PM

Looking for 'Spicy Love Soup'

I ordered 'Spicy Love Soup' aka ¡u·R±¡³Â»¶¿S¡v from Chinesemall.com located in Seattle, WA. The DVD appears to be made by ¤jùÚ¹q¤l¡]¥Xª©ªÀ¡^in ±ä¦u¤s¡A¦¿½Ã±j¡CChinesemall.com's catalog page didn't mention if it was subtitled, but I didn't care that much since I had a difficult time finding it. Of course, the DVD doesn't play so I can't tell you what kind of subtitles it may have. The packaging is entirely in simplified Chinese, so I suspect that this version is not the Japanese one you referred to.

Since the DVD freezes my laptop, I don't get an error message of any kind which would help me be certain that a region code is the problem. I have software to simulate any region code so I tried playing it in region 3 and 6 with no luck. I don't think that this is the problem.

I tried a couple of other software-players on my computer but they froze-up too. My girlfriend is the only other person I know with a DVD player but she has the exact same setup as me. Not much help there either.

Ah well, I would really like to show this movie to my girlfriend since it inspired me to give our relationship another chance (we've been together for over a year since then). It sounds like Magnetichuman would has also been looking for it. Let me know if you get the chance to see it.
Old 04-14-01, 08:00 PM

PS.

I am going to exchange the DVD with another from Chinesemall, and I'll let you know how that goes.
Old 04-14-01, 10:24 PM

It sounds like it might just be a defective disc, so maybe when you exchange it the new one will work. I hope it does. Let me know how it works out.

magnetichuman