Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Which was your favorite Tales from the Crypt episode?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Which was your favorite Tales from the Crypt episode?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-01, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never had HBO, so all the episodes I saw were the syndicated (and edited) ones on FOX, but I still loved the series a lot. My favorite episode was probably "And all Through the House" (which I believe is included on the Zemeckis collection DVD). It was about the women who was being hunted by the escaped mental patient dressed as Santa. Pretty Creepy.

I also liked the episode called "Eisel Kill Ya", about the guy who kills people, then paints pictures of them. It had the coolest twist ending of any of the episodes, and I think it starred Tim Roth.

Old 04-07-01, 11:50 AM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
All of them are cool (except for the British episodes), but my favorite one is "Television Terror" (which starred Morton Downey Jr.). It was actually scary.
Old 04-07-01, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trout
All of them are cool (except for the British episodes), but my favorite one is "Television Terror" (which starred Morton Downey Jr.). It was actually scary.
Those british episodes pretty much killed the series. My fav is All Through the House. Love the comic version of that episode the best as well..
Old 04-07-01, 07:32 PM

The one where Michelle Johnson was the wife of a lumberjack. That girl should have made a lot more movies, but at least Blame It On Rio is coming to DVD.
Old 04-07-01, 08:10 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
I know very little about the series, but one of the episodes I saw and loved was when a criminal (Kyle McLachlan?) killed the cop chasing him, but just before the cop died he handcuffed himself to the criminal! So the poor guy had to trek across the desert with a corpse attached to his arm!
Old 04-07-01, 09:41 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

I'd go with the above mentioned lumberjack one, and the animated one with the 3 little pigs, which I think was called "Third Pig".
Old 04-08-01, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Quaid
I know very little about the series, but one of the episodes I saw and loved was when a criminal (Kyle McLachlan?) killed the cop chasing him, but just before the cop died he handcuffed himself to the criminal! So the poor guy had to trek across the desert with a corpse attached to his arm!
That was one of my favorite episodes! I liked the part of the storyline that had him being relentlessly pursued by a vulture as he tries find a way to get detached from the deceased cop.

The vulture was quite impatient, needless to say.
Old 04-08-01, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tales From the Crypt on HBO was probably one of my favorite show. I have several episode that are my favorite, but I'll give one: The voice inside man's head episode. I wish I could watch it again.
Old 04-08-01, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I never saw many but I remember liking William Sadler as The Man Who Was Death.
Old 04-08-01, 03:58 PM

The ones you guys mentioned are good. I especially like the Lumberjack one, and the one with the Santa Claus escaped mental patient, as well as the one with the cop and the vulture).

I like the one with the 2 guys (I can't remember who they were, but it seems like 1 was John Lovitz, and the other was someone else fairly famous) were actors trying to appear in a production of Hamlet (I think), but they found out that they were trying out for the part of Yorick (The skull).

I also like the one with the magician who had 9 lives

If you guys haven't seen it, you should check out the Tales From the Crypt movie from the 1970's. It has the story of the deranged santa, as well as 3 or four others which were also on the TV show. Good stuff.

The worst one I've seen was the one with Humphrey Bogart, or a detective who thought he was Bogart or something.
It was made by Robert Zemeckis, but it was not scary, and it was really boring

Old 04-08-01, 06:33 PM

How about the one where the guy suspected that his wife was cheating on him with a family friend, so he killed the friend and hung him up on the wall. At the end, he finds out that the two (his wife and the friend) were not having an affair, but rather planning a surprise baby shower.

Another one of my favorites is the one where the young black guy goes to live with his uncle who runs a funeral home. The uncle ends up killing the guy by pushing him down the stairs. He takes him to the funeral home to fit him in a coffin, but the one he uses is made for a young boy and too short, so he chops off his dead nephews feet with a power saw. Then later on, the dead, footles nephew gets his revenge on the uncle. The last scene was creepy as hell.
Old 04-08-01, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,186 Likes on 4,213 Posts
Many great choices! I also loved that magician episode, which starred Joe Pantoliano.
I'm rather partial to the Beauty contest episode with Mimi Rogers where it turns out they were all competing for the coveted title of "Miss Autopsy". That was priceless.
Old 04-08-01, 08:07 PM

Sorry to post again, but another one that is good is the one with the old guy who just retired and his wife had a ton of pets. She told him to get a hobby, and so her pets turn up missing and you find that his new hobby is Taxidermy.

At the end, she finds this out and kills the guy and stuffs him. pretty creepy, and very entertaining.
Old 04-08-01, 09:48 PM

Teri Hatcher tied up. Enough said.
Old 04-09-01, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

My favorite is the one with Lance Henrikson and someone else as really serious gamblers who cant seem to beat each other, not even at Russian roullete. It ends with them playing "Cut" Poker.

Then my second favorite would be the one with Bill Paxon and Brad Douriff as brothers who try to rip off an ice cream place and the very successful ice cream man. To say any more would ruin the suprise ending.

The one where Tim Curry played that enitre backwoods freak family was pretty creepy.
Old 04-09-01, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I really liked the one with a lot of phony looking gore and an obvious twist at the end.
Old 04-09-01, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally posted by iaido
My favorite is the one with Lance Henrikson and someone else as really serious gamblers who cant seem to beat each other, not even at Russian roullete. It ends with them playing "Cut" Poker.
The chop poker episode (titled "Cutting Cards", right?) was so sick that it actually made me nauseous and is my pick as the worst episode of the show! It was far too graphic in showing the two men mutilate every other (I wonder if they edit those chopping scenes out in the syndicated version?) and I almost stopped watch "Tales From the Crypt" entirely due solely to this demented episode!

The episodes I like best are the ones with a good plot twist. The Santa Claus serial killer is a good one and I liked one about a handsome man who is the kept love-toy for this rich and powerful bitch. He starts sneaking around with a young hot babe but the old bitch catches them. The old bitch orders the guy to kill his young girlfriend... and I won't give away the rest.

BTW, I haven't watched the show since it went off HBO. How badly do they edit the episodes for its SciFi run?
Old 04-09-01, 06:07 PM

Jeez, so many good ones...

I like the Santa, the Lumberjack, the Miss Autopsy, etc. But one of my favorites that no one has mentioned is the one with Demi Moore working as a waitress and visits a gypsy. She tells Demi that she will meet some guy and he will inherit $1 million (or so - it has been a while since I have seen it) and shortly after he will die a violent death.

Spoiler:
She married this disgusting guy - gives me the creeps just thinking about him. The she gets a candy bar or something and ends up winning $1 million (or whatever it was). She ends up wanting a divorce, but he says that if he can't have her, nobody will. He kills her and inherits the $1 million. Shortly after, he gets the electric chair.

Probably one of my all time favorites just because of the twists the story took.
Old 04-09-01, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dhmac
The chop poker episode (titled "Cutting Cards", right?) was so sick that it actually made me nauseous and is my pick as the worst episode of the show! It was far too graphic in showing the two men mutilate every other (I wonder if they edit those chopping scenes out in the syndicated version?) and I almost stopped watch "Tales From the Crypt" entirely due solely to this demented episode!
It was funniest show I have seen. They went too far with gamble, trying to beat the odd. I laughed so much.