Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Anyone watching David Copperfield?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-01, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is anyone watching this? I wonder how he's doing his illusions. The disappearing and going to Hawaii trick is pretty cool, even though I'm thinking that the "father and son" are just paid actors considering that Copperfield said he was doing this trick on tour.
Old 04-03-01, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah, i was watching...

his illusion tricks are always really cool. i especially like the goldfish one. however, the hawaii thing and the fire tornado were kinda hokey. obviously, they could not have gone to hawaii, so obviously, they had some stage setup somewhere where they made the scenery look like hawaii. the reunion scene was so fake, my roommate and i laughed when we saw it. and they yelled that it was starting to rain as he left...um, did anyone notice the bright blue sky with like 3 or 4 small clouds??

and the fire thing...bah...if the fire was hot enough to melt steel, would someone mind explaining to me why it wasn't even hot enough to slice right through those cloth bands that held his arms? they weren't even singed!
Old 04-03-01, 09:12 PM
Banned

i'm not!! I want my new episodes of "JAG"!! So now I'm stuck watching a rerun on USA!! Bring back JAG!!
Old 04-03-01, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: yeah, i was watching...

Originally posted by hahn
so obviously, they had some stage setup somewhere where they made the scenery look like hawaii. the reunion scene was so fake, my roommate and i laughed when we saw it. and they yelled that it was starting to rain as he left...um, did anyone notice the bright blue sky with like 3 or 4 small clouds??
Also, after the "father and son" hugged on the beach the camera panned over to David Copperfield walking towards the camera getting ready to come back to the studio. If you look behind Copperfield for the father and son hugging in the background you can't see them anymore because they suddenly disappeared.

What was with that "split body" trick? They showed him doing the trick in the street and he's hopping around holding onto his legs. How the hell did he do that? It's gotta be a camera trick.
Old 04-03-01, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Mr Copperfield, I've seen David Blaine, and you're no David Blaine!

That said, I sorta liked the underwear swapping trick
Old 04-03-01, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when did copperfield turn into a wisecrackin' bob saget? it's been awhile since i've seen any of his shows, but i don't remember him trying this hard to be a comedian. shut up and do some illusions.
Old 04-03-01, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sigh. Another hour of life I won't be getting back. I bet 85% of that entire show was done blue-screen. Hell except for the first 8 or 10 rows, the audience even looked like they were filmed earlier and just slapped up on there like a weather map.
Old 04-03-01, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

just finished watching out here in LA. pretty dopey. i never get the impression that david blain uses plants, most of the "random strangers" in copps special seemed pretty suspect. that father son thing? give me a break. that's not to say that some of the illusions weren't impressive.
Old 04-03-01, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The floating sofa was pretty cool (especially since they showed it from all angles) and it only got cooler when they were in the plexiglass container.

And the underwear trick was damn neat.
Old 04-03-01, 11:37 PM

I'll take his word for it that the Hawaii illusion wasn't done with camera tricks, but it certainly wasn't Hawaii. Still, he can be pretty amazing. Even the Hawaii trick featured some nice disappearances and reappearances.
Old 04-03-01, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I am so glad I don't watch this stuff. I enjoy the illusions but I hate the crappy story they feel the need to put around the illusions..done with over acting and stupid stories, etc. Man I hate that.
Old 04-04-01, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First: Totally agree about the crappy sentimentalism of the "stories".

Second: Totally agree about the "street magic" which was a poor Blaine ripoff -- who goes out on the street with a couch? And I'm almost positive the pants illusion was blue screen, which is not an illusion.

Third: The creep factor was way up. What was with the swapping undies? Gross! What was with the sexy lesbian voyuerism? Creepy! How about the guys grabbing their nuts? Since when is Copperfield blue?

As far as the volunteers from the audience, they are all plants. The panty girls were not good actresses, they didn't act surprised to be picked. The guys on the couch also played into the nuts gag too well-timed to be random audience participants. They also weren't very surprised to be levitated -- way too dull.

The Hawaii trick was a nice variation, and the levitation stuff is always great. But the major diappointment was the Tornado of Fire. What they should have done is burned something immediately before Copperfield entered the ring. Instead, they're like "earlier today we burned this fireproof suit." BS. If Copperfield really was in the fire he'd be dead -- it's definitely an illusion, and they didn't sell it very well. The only intimation of danger was when that guy lit the pilot lights.

All in all, he's trying to rip off Blaine and his street-magic block-of-ice routines. My overall impression was that this was a sad performance. I think he's lost his touch.

Old 04-04-01, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yup, those girls picked were definately plants. What normal person would ALLOW such a trick to happen? Think about the hygiene issues with that...completely disgusting. Not even Copperfield would have two random strangers swap underwear.

His jokes were pretty lame. I think he's just getting fuller and fuller of himself by the day.

Did anyone else think it was really sucky that Carson Daly was the host of it? Made it all the more less credible.
Old 04-04-01, 03:24 PM

The "pants illusion" was NOT blue screen. I saw him live in Vegas last month and he did the same trick (same show, pretty much as the TV special). It blew us away then seeing it live as much as it did seeing it again on TV. He obviously didn't go outside during the stage show, but he did walk all over the stage "cut in half."

Amazing stuff.
Old 04-04-01, 04:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I remember reading somewhere how David Copperfield made the Statue of Liberty disappear, but has there been any info on the internet or in book form as to how he did the walking through the Wall of China effect or the "flying" effect?

Notice how the levitating couch was the same red one used for both the stage and outdoor scenes, my friend and I think the couch is rigged somehow.
Old 04-04-01, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Giles
I remember reading somewhere how David Copperfield made the Statue of Liberty disappear, but has there been any info on the internet or in book form as to how he did the walking through the Wall of China effect or the "flying" effect?

Notice how the levitating couch was the same red one used for both the stage and outdoor scenes, my friend and I think the couch is rigged somehow.
Walking through wall just had him hiding in the base of the thing they took from one side to the other. Him flying was just done using VERY nicely hidden wires.
Old 04-05-01, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Didn't Copperfield just rotate the platform that the people were sitting on for the Statue of Liberty's disappearance?
Old 04-05-01, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Patman
Didn't Copperfield just rotate the platform that the people were sitting on for the Statue of Liberty's disappearance?
I've seen the Statue of Liberty trick some years ago, on tv. It was pretty cool. If that's what he did and the people sitting there were actually fooled by it, then it's pretty cool, too. If they were all part of the trick, then... no big deal.
Old 04-05-01, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gandalf
Originally posted by Patman
I've seen the Statue of Liberty trick some years ago, on tv. It was pretty cool. If that's what he did and the people sitting there were actually fooled by it, then it's pretty cool, too. If they were all part of the trick, then... no big deal.
Didn't they have a helicopter view of the statue (or actually, the statue not being there)? In other words more than just the "rotating platform"?
Old 04-05-01, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by The Eggman
The "pants illusion" was NOT blue screen. I saw him live in Vegas last month and he did the same trick (same show, pretty much as the TV special). It blew us away then seeing it live as much as it did seeing it again on TV. He obviously didn't go outside during the stage show, but he did walk all over the stage "cut in half."
Yeah, I can't quite figure how he managed that one. Any ideas?
Old 04-06-01, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DigIt
Didn't they have a helicopter view of the statue (or actually, the statue not being there)? In other words more than just the "rotating platform"?
Well, they did also have a "radar screen" with the Statue of Liberty shown as a green blip in the center.
Old 02-07-02, 06:03 PM

would anyone know where I can find David Copperfields show on dvd/video ?

and I also found this while searching for his videos

http://www.alinaam.org.za/fataawa/gmagic.htm