Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Crimson Rivers (Les Rivieres Pourpres) - Announced for DVD yet?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Crimson Rivers (Les Rivieres Pourpres) - Announced for DVD yet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-01, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has this French film been announced for DVD release yet? It is playing here in Canada and I loved it (though it doesn't completely make sense to me )! The short fighting scene with Vincent Cassel was very funny yet exciting. And as a mystery thriller, it is probably the best I've seen since Seven.
Old 04-02-01, 03:28 PM

It'll be released on the 25 of April in France.

It'll be a 2-disc set with a DD 5.1 and DTS (with full bitrate) french soundtrack. I don't know wether it'll have english subtitles or not.

Special features: commentary, making of, deleted scenes, isolated score (dd 5.1) with commentary...

Note that it'll be the fist European movie to be THX certified.

The movie itself is great, but I thought the end wasn't that good!

Check the source in french for visuals: http://www.dvdrama.net/news.php3?2495

Gaétan
Old 04-02-01, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the info, Gaetan.

According to Cinestore, it won't have any subtitles. Too bad, I hope a region 1 disc is released in Canada.
Old 04-11-01, 07:52 AM

Menu

For the french speakers only then, here you can find all screenshots of each menu.
There is also the detail of the special features.

Go here (in french):
http://www.dvdrama.net/news.php3?2651
Old 04-12-01, 02:45 PM

Kestion simple : il vaut koi ce film ?

Old 04-12-01, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...regahrday eecee:

http://www.mrqe.com/lookup?rivieres+pourpres

. . . . . .
Old 04-12-01, 06:57 PM

Seven à la française

Kestion simple : il vaut koi ce film ?
208 balles ou 32 Euros sur Amazone, si c'est ça que tu demandais... Le film n'est pas mal du tout, mais il me faut un lecteur region-free.

Salut!
Old 04-12-01, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And I thought my French was bad... mon dieu.
Old 04-13-01, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
Bon film mais je suis d'accord avec Gaétan, la fin laisse a désirer.

Good flick but Gaétan is right, they screwed up the ending.

I hope bilingual posting doesn't become a trend. It's too much work.
Old 04-25-01, 06:30 PM

Oui mais JC Grangé en menait large dans son roman... Je crois que c'était la meilleure fin possible même si ce n'est surement pas la plus claire....

Est-ce qu'un cousin ici présent aurait vu Le Pacte des Loups?
Old 05-27-01, 01:27 PM

Availability

For anyone interested, the film is also now available on dvd out of Taiwan, from a company called Summit (they tend to release quite a few foreign films, including Japanese and US). The DVD however is Full Frame, with the English dub of the film presented in Dolby 5.1. I don't have any online sources for it, but it does pop up on ebay, beware though, there is also a Malaysian bootleg of the same disc. The real thing will probably run around 30 US. BTW is the French release a Limited Edition?
Old 05-27-01, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...anyone buying a Taiwanese DVD with a 4:3 version of a 2.35:1 movie deserves whatever it is they'll be getting...

The French 2 x DVD-9 SE is pretty stupendous: extras that won't stop, 2 commentaries (one for the movie, one for the music), interviews, background, DD 5.1 and full bit-rate(!) dts, THX, easter eggs, in short: the works ... except ... no subtitles in any language, not even French ... merde alors!

. . . . . .

Old 05-28-01, 11:15 PM

Aaah but the Taiwanese dvd has english subtitles, perfect for ripping to use with the French dvd after some NTSC->PAL correction. The main reason I note it is because its NTSC, and unfortunately North America isn't exactly on the multi-standard boat. Anyways back to my question, is the French 2 Disc set a limited edition in any way (a la Crying Freeman) or is it a regular mass produced title that will be around for eons, you know the amount of time it will take France to loosen its snobbish stance on subtitles
Old 05-29-01, 11:00 AM

I have this disc and I'm almost sure it's not a limited edition. It's one of the best selling dvd at the moment.

Maybe in the future they'll switch to a simple case??? The case is now like Fight Club.

Anyway the quality of the disc is really (thx mastered) exeptional!

Gaétan
Old 05-29-01, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

. . .

http://www.dvdfr.com/elink.php3?url=.../www.gcthv.com

. . .
Old 05-30-01, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

English-speaking R1 people, just wait. In Canada, Alliance Atlantis has already released CR into theaters. Alliance Atlantis was responsible for the Canadian Pulp Fiction and Existenz R1 DVDs that were superior to the US versions. So that's one possible source for a R1 disc. More significantly, Columbia Tristar will be releasing this film in the USA this summer. A good R1 DVD from them is almost assured. Just wait for that.

It's not worth importing both the French SE and Taiwanese discs just to make a subbed bootleg with inferior video quality to both. It's not worth the time, money or results.
Old 05-30-01, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by ipkevin
English-speaking R1 people, just wait. In Canada, Alliance Atlantis has already released CR into theaters. Alliance Atlantis was responsible for the Canadian Pulp Fiction and Existenz R1 DVDs that were superior to the US versions. So that's one possible source for a R1 disc. More significantly, Columbia Tristar will be releasing this film in the USA this summer. A good R1 DVD from them is almost assured. Just wait for that.

It's not worth importing both the French SE and Taiwanese discs just to make a subbed bootleg with inferior video quality to both. It's not worth the time, money or results.
Umm who said anything about creating a subtitled boolteg? I merely mentioned that you could use the subtitles from the Taiwan disc for subtitled playback of the French disc. In case your not familiar with the subtitling world, there are many ways of adding your own subtitles to non-subtitled films via pc based playback (I often subtitle Japanese films that have a 0 perecent chance of a R1/english subbed release). The resulting output quality would be no different from the original output so I'm not sure where you're getting the inferior video quality bit from. Also there is a) no announced date for a R1 release b) no guarantee of the French language track (the English track is dubbed by Jean Reno, Cassel, and the other major stars of the film) and c) no guarantee of the features from the R2 disc, including the DTS track. As for time, it requires very little. As for money, I'll provide the english subtitles from the Taiwanese disc if people would like. And for the results, well you couldn't be any more wrong
Old 05-30-01, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Furious, relax. I wasn't really wasn't trying to disparage you. I must admit I didn't know there was a way to easily add subs in 'on the fly', but now that I think about it, you're right. How else can they make fansubs? How do you do it? Can you merely rip the sub "script" from one and have it timed properly with minimal effort to the other disc when it plays? If so, that's very cool and makes me much less inclined to call it a waste of time & effort. Especially if your PC is how you generally spin your discs anyway.

However, I still think it's a bit of a waste of money to import two discs (at least one of which is rather pricey) to watch a film that is 1) very likely be released on an awesome R1 DVD given Sony's track record and positioning of the film (http://www.spe.sony.com/movies/crimsonrivers), and 2) not great enough that it needs to be watched RIGHT AWAY. But obviously, how you spend your money and decide which movies are worth watching now is entirely up to you. I am merely providing my humble opinion.

By the way, thanks for the dubbing info! It'll be interesting to hear Cassel & Reno dubbing their own voices! But Sony is releasing it into theater subbed, so hopefully we will get both French & English language on the DVD.
Old 07-11-01, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Columbia just announced a Region 1 release for 10/16. I hope you non-French-Speakers held off from importing the R2...
Old 07-11-01, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is also a 'deluxe edition' being released in Japan as well with commentary and all the other usual goodies but it only has Japanese and French audio tracks.