Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

I hope you like "Reality" TV, cuz you're about to choke on it...

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

I hope you like "Reality" TV, cuz you're about to choke on it...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-01, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, word came down late Friday that it looks as though not only will the writers strike happen, but that it may be the strike to end all strikes.

Originally, the consensus was it would go from the end of May to somewhere around late August or September. Now, Peter Chernin (Pres & COO of Newscorp) has said that not only will Fox not budge one bit on the negotiations, but due to the success of literally every reality show to hit the airwaves, he and Rupert Murdoch are discussing (with other studio heads) the possibility of using this strike to re-invent television - having it be anywhere from 50 to 75% reality-based shows.

Chernin said that the money that he (and in turn other studios) saves by cutting writers loose from their deals will more than make up for any losses with advertisers. But he actually thinks he could come out ahead because advertisers don't care what's on, they just want people to tune in. And everybody is tuning in to reality shows.

Fox originally had 2 or 3 new reality shows on their development slate. Now, they may push as many as 8 into production over the coming months. Other networks would more than likely follow suit.

Chernin feels that the public's interest in reality TV sends a message that they are losing interest in original programming.

Now, this was not some public statement he made to scare the WGA. I wish it was. What I have just told you was a dinner conversation Chernin had with two producers and an actor on Friday.

You asked for it, you got it! Enjoy.

[Edited by BoatDrinks on 03-31-01 at 09:51 AM]
Old 03-31-01, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh my god, Nooooooooooooo!
Old 03-31-01, 01:05 PM

Never underestimate the collective stupidity of the American public's influence on even stupider people.

This pisses me off. I love well written shows and movies. A show or movie CANNOT be good without good writers; they're as important as actors and directors.

The reality "craze" ( ) is a phase, and, just like N*Sync and Britney Spears, people will get tired of them.

In closing I'd like to add that reality shows did not make fox; The Simpsons did. Rupert Murdoch can suck farts in Hell.
Old 03-31-01, 01:32 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Never underestimate a union's ability to get corrupt, get greedy, get stupid, and then screw itself and everyone else. It has happened time after time after time.
Old 03-31-01, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by Darren Garrison
Never underestimate a union's ability to get corrupt, get greedy, get stupid, and then screw itself and everyone else. It has happened time after time after time.
Please explain to me how the WGA's demands are so unreasonably greedy and stupid. I'm being sincere and truely want to know. I haven't been following this very closely.
Old 03-31-01, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by BoatDrinks

Now, this was not some public statement he made to scare the WGA. I wish it was. What I have just told you was a dinner conversation Chernin had with two producers and an actor on Friday.

You asked for it, you got it! Enjoy.

[Edited by BoatDrinks on 03-31-01 at 09:51 AM]

mind telling us where you get this info? are you some big shot hollywood guy hiding out on dvdtalk?
Old 03-31-01, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by No Use For A Name
Originally posted by Darren Garrison
Please explain to me how the WGA's demands are so unreasonably greedy and stupid. I'm being sincere and truely want to know. I haven't been following this very closely.
Yes, I too, would like to know this.
Old 03-31-01, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by Venusian

mind telling us where you get this info? are you some big shot hollywood guy hiding out on dvdtalk? [/B]
yeah, he kind of is.
Old 03-31-01, 08:42 PM
Banned

Oh no!! I think I will stick to reading books,watching DVD's/buying DVD's ,watching and buying videotapes(if there is no DVD of that movie of course!!)
Old 03-31-01, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Complain all ya want...it's just a reminder why FOX is the #4 network. Pretty soon, either WB or UPN (probably not the latter ) will take over the #4 slot and FOX will fall into #5...
Old 03-31-01, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If FOX was merciful and kind, it would run episodes of Family Guy instead of all the reality TV shows rubbish.
Old 03-31-01, 11:52 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mllefoo
If FOX was merciful and kind, it would run episodes of Family Guy instead of all the reality TV shows rubbish.
Yes! Bring back the Family Guy!! Why was it taken off the air anyway!!??
Old 04-01-01, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Because FOX is suck and stupid, and has this silly notion that we prefer crap like Boot Camp and Temptation Island. Give me Stewie and Brian over reality tv shows any day.

Marianne
Old 04-02-01, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Fox has one of the coolest original show line-ups for this whole season, except Boot Camp, I hate reality shows. But if we lose That 70's Show, Titus, Grounded for Life, The Simpsons, Malcom in the Middle, or X-Files, well I'm just going to have to not watch TV at all then I guess.
Of course X-Files is probably gone within the next season or two anyway, but NO MORE REALITY SHOWS!!!

-CM-
Old 04-02-01, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

THis is crazy. OK, I like reality tv but this is like those JCPenny commericials where they use slang.

By the time the Exec's catch on, it is too late.

Here comes the the acid wash jean trend.
Old 04-02-01, 10:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WGA Demands

Well, I won't go way into all the RIGHTFUL demands that the Guild is requestiong but the major sticking points is they want a PENNY increase in the revenues that the writers recieve for DVD, tape sales. This is causing the studio execs to cry bloody murder and say that it will bankrupt hollywood and drive the studios out of business. The guild says that it will only increase the anount the Studios pay out to about 450 million more, over the next five years or so, whereas tge studios say it will be more than a Billion a year. Also, the writers guild wants the studio/producers to pay th ewriters more for the scripts than what they are getting, which I feel is a reasonable request. As it stands, the writers are paid about 1-3% of the films total budget. But the studios and producers are holding fast in denying this request by stating that this will cause them, again according to them, to be bankrupt. When you consider the amount of money actors'directors recieve, what the writers want is a pittance. Also, a long standing feud has also once again reared it's ugly head. The writers guild want the credit "A Film By" to stop being used by the directors because they (writers) feel it basically says that the director did everything. Of course the directors guild is against this and refuses to budge on this. Apparently their ego will take a hit. Anyway, theres more more to this problem, but these are some of the points. If you guys are interested, head over to the Writers Guild site and read the actual demands.
Old 04-02-01, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: WGA Demands

Originally posted by pelenor
the major sticking points is they want a PENNY increase in the revenues that the writers recieve for DVD, tape sales. This is causing the studio execs to cry bloody murder and say that it will bankrupt hollywood and drive the studios out of business. The guild says that it will only increase the anount the Studios pay out to about 450 million more, over the next five years or so, whereas tge studios say it will be more than a Billion a year.
Actually, if the WGA literally got everything they were asking for (in their first proposal) it would cost the studios approx. 300 million over the next 3 years. That's if they got everything. It's really sad when you see the breakdown as to what each studio would pay. Dreamworks would have to cough up less than $400,000. Yep. The biggest hits would be Universal and Warner Brothers which would pay around 4 million over this time. Pennies to these companies when you look at the big picture.

Also, the writers guild wants the studio/producers to pay th ewriters more for the scripts than what they are getting, which I feel is a reasonable request. As it stands, the writers are paid about 1-3% of the films total budget. But the studios and producers are holding fast in denying this request by stating that this will cause them, again according to them, to be bankrupt.

Again, what the WGA is asking for are the same inflation adjusted increases they have gotten since the 50's. The only difference is now the WGA would like FOX to pay their writers as much as the big 3 networks do. When Fox started back in the 80's, the WGA agreed to "help" them get on their feet by lowering writers' fees. Well, despite paying ungodly amounts of money for the NFL and NASCAR, Fox still claims that it is a weblet and can't afford to pay anymore.

The writers guild want the credit "A Film By" to stop being used by the directors because they (writers) feel it basically says that the director did everything. Of course the directors guild is against this and refuses to budge on this.
Contrary to what you will hear in the media, the WGA has never said they want the Film By credit removed. They have said that they want the power of dishing out the credit returned to the DGA instead of where it is now - in the hands of business affairs executives who give it out to any director in lieu of a salary drop. The WGA simply says the credit should be earned instead of bought. This has become a non-issue however, as the DGA and the studios did such a publicity hatchet job about this, the WGA has formally withdrawn their request.